Latest Threads
- by Ozrod
- by DrHax

Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:53 PM   #1
garlos
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Dumbass

So I've been driving around for about 2 years with no speedometer, ever since I put the beam extender on.

I picked up a longer bus speedo cable a year or two back, but was too lazy to put it on.

In the meantime, the original speedo cable is still connected to the drum, and I've been wedging it here and there to keep it out of the way.

Anyways, so the other day I'm looking at the cable end, and then look a the speedo connector a few inches away, and thought: "Have I, ah, ever tried to connect this?"

*Click*

Works great, dunno what I was thinking...

garlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:54 PM   #2
garlos
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Dumbass

BTW, the first sentence originally read:

"So I've been running around for about 2 years with no speedo, ever since I put the extender on."

And, ah, decided to clarify it a little bit.
garlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Al Low Ha
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Boy! I glad you did change it...I would'a had a nightmare! LOL!

Don't feel bad Garlos! ...after owning close to 300 vw's you'd think i'd have learned a few things yeh!? NOPE! Bought a bug off thesamba in Calif.(only from pics), had it shipped to Hawaii...it arrived and I jumped in and cruised it home 26 miles from the port. Over the next 3 months i put another 50+ miles on it tuning and tweeking it. The whole time the front end was badly out of alignment...so early last Sat. morning (just 2 hours before our Dad's Day car show) I decided it was time to align it. After removing the front tires/rims....I notice that the pass. side outer tie rod end is just 2 threads away from falling off the axle(newer style tie rod w/out cotter pin).....Holy Crap! So naturally I figure I'd better check all four tie rods. Guess what I see on the driver side outer? No Flipping nut at all...and this was the old style that takes a castle nut and cotter pin! I have absolutely no idea why I have not crashed! AND I have absolutely no idea why I didn't check out the suspension MUCH sooner....DUMBASS Me!
Aloha
Al Low Ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:11 AM   #4
markh
Forum Member

Yeah don't feel bad...

Ok, Ok... here's a cotter pin on me.
Drove the bugtruck to a show about 80 miles round trip with no issues. Two weekends ago, I planned to go to a local hotrod show...about 10 miles away. Jump in and head out to pick up Mundo on the way...get about 5 miles down the freeway and I hear the rear tire rubbing on the fender....well what the heck??!!? Next exit stop at a mini-market, pull the center cap off my wheel and guess what....yup, the rear axle nut was just hanging on by a few threads. I forgot to put in the cotter pin after re-building the brakes.

Call Mundo, he brings a couple tools and a jack, torque the nut down, INSTALL a barb off a chain link fence as a temporary cotter pin, and off we went!.

Since then I've put in the correct cotter pin. Dumbass me! Mark
markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #5
mkparker
Forum Member

I know a guy that put his dropped spindles on upside down once..... dumbass.....

me!

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote