Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,396
Total Online: 627

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old March 13th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #1
Romain
Forum Member

Hello,
I just wanted to share with you guys the latest things done on my project:
First here are a few pics, I'll explain the details a bit later,
I need more time to explain myself in english [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

actually I can make the car SIT on the ground,that's exactly what I planned...on the pics the rear supsension can still go down to 5 or 6 cm more [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
The rear fenders have to be widened,that's why they ain't there...

I'm looking for advice to change the whole steering setup,because the steering box seems to be broken (looses oil,can't fix the "lack of handling precision" using the front screw (and put the sandrail/1303 kit)
Which modern steering setup can I put to replace this shit,that could work with the 5 inches narrowed beam ?
(like they did on the Kustomcoachwerx splitwindow ?)

Old March 13th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #2
57Drag
Forum Member

Nice work [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] ....Donald
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #3
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

yeah, that's low (duh!) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

I love the chop, you really nailed the shape of the quarter windows [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] Instead of cutting out the decklid to clear the alternator a bubble would look good IMO.

We need more pics.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #4
p-nor
Forum Member

i luh, luh, luh, luhv it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img] nice work man! did i mention how much i love it? you're not really low until you have to clearance for your alternator. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

edit** i think kcw used a rack and pinion on the split. you might be able to find out on the hoodride page but now that you have to pay to get anything off the kcw website [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img] you might not find anything. you can always post a question on the hoodride message board. maybe john, dustin or derrick will chime in.

paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #5
JBUG
Forum Member

good god man nice work!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #6
FlatBlacker
Forum Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek1.gif[/img] That's insane! Nice work man [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
Old March 13th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #7
GO_GO_Gadgit
Forum Member

looks great.
Old March 13th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #8
cdubvdub
Forum Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #9
walt
Forum Member

Man if that thing was any lower, the floor would be made out of dirt.

Oh ...wait .....It is. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #10
Nick
Forum Member

What kind of rims are those?

Nice to see other people are doing body drops [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] What's the specs on that mods, how many inches did you channel it, etc? If you need help doing the floor pans or whatever, lemme know. I have some info on how I did that on my site to give you some ideas.

Old March 13th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #11
Ryan
Capt A's super package

looks cool man. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] i hope you leave the rear open.. above the trans... i think that looks sweet... it will be loud as shit but cool non the less.

as far as steering i would say a small buggy rack or a 914 rack would do nicely
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #12
Georg
Forum Member

very very nice,
in answer to your question my last car had a polo steering rack and that was on a heavily narrowed beam. I'll see if I can dig some pictures out.
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #13
black_rat_bug
Forum Member

VERY nice. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

Member Since Day Two, 2002!
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:52 AM   #14
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

WOOO HOOOOO [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
Old March 14th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #15
Chris
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick@Mar 13 2005, 07:15 PM
What kind of rims are those?...
I believe they're a mag rim made my ATS...same people who make the Porsche cookie cutters.
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #16
Nick
Forum Member

I don't think they're ATS, similar style but... (I still could be wrong though). They look Bristish made to me.

ATS classics:

another ATS (for Minis), closer but still not a match

Another similar but unknown make:

Rims in question:

Old March 14th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #17
joedirt
Forum Member

damn that car looks awesome...nice job dude! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #18
FlatFourVW
Forum Member

That is sick! Nice work! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek1.gif[/img]
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #19
alltypesvw
Forum Member

NICK.. i'm going to go out on a limb and guess that those wheels are BWA's but that's just a guess based on the "hub " are of the wheelall of the BWA wheels had that kind of "strength ridges" around the lugs.

if they are they are italian made, vey low porosity castings... very strong, they were more comon in the 60's and 70's on english and italian cars that people used for racing, specifically, lancia, triumph, and mini....

they did do vw wheels as well.. but the styling is really odball, i have a set for my water cooled cars.. and I have ONE centercap for them... and i know i won't find any others for the simple reason that the wheels are kinda ugly

those on the other hand.. look kinda cool.. I really like them
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #20
Romain
Forum Member

Thanks for support, Mates ! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]
The next thing I'm gonna do on it is the floor modification, using nick's style "S" lowering, but using 2mm flat steel plates instead of the original floorpans,
(which are way too low behind the seats), weld to the part of the original floors below the heater channels.

But I still wonder how to shape the "S" sheets that will fit on the back curved sides : it seems lot harder than the straight ones along the tunnel in the front...
are they hammer-shaped ON the chassis once they're curved by hand ?

About the wheels: Don't know whether they're real ATS or not [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]
I really have no Idea where the fu.. they're from,there's no emblem or things like that, they were freebie si I didn't mind... the only thing I can tell you is that they're in two parts,the center is in aluminium and the other.... in rust (or steel?)

For specs: the channeling is 10.5 cm (about 4 inches), fortunately the holes for screw fixations still fit the chassis after removing the panels, Really lucky because I didn't take much care to measurements before and while welding.
I had to cut wide the front to make room for the lenghened air-shock towers

the things that "sucks":

- now only a little gastank can fit under the front hood
- the rear hood fixations were cut from the body to make some room for the motor, I gotta build new ones...not an easy task.
- the doors have to be puled up to be closed,I'll have to work on both front pillars: push the top,and tow the bottom.
- I have to build plate and tube supports for the rear air shocks,or I'll never even be able to cross the first sidewalk [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Polo Rack steering ? mmmm...I'll check that out ! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]

Thanx again,
Keep ya updated [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hello.gif[/img]
Old March 15th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #21
Nick
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Romain@Mar 15 2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks for support, Mates ! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]
The next thing I'm gonna do on it is the floor modification, using nick's style "S" lowering, but using 2mm flat steel plates instead of the original floorpans,
(which are way too low behind the seats), weld to the part of the original floors below the heater channels.

But I still wonder how to shape the "S" sheets that will fit on the back curved sides : it seems lot harder than the straight ones along the tunnel in the front...
are they hammer-shaped ON the chassis once they're curved by hand ?<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
If you cut slits ont he top and bottom of the lip, it'll allow you to bend the vertical part inwards or outwards into the desired curve. I cut alot of straight slits to bend it outwards and 'V' piecuts to bend it inwards. Best to but alot of slits to get a gradual curve so the curve won't look like folded paper. The more you cut, the less obvious the folded paper-like crease will be.

Below should help what I'm talking about. Cut the top and bottom so the middle part should fold along the red line

somewhat similar on how I did my doorframes

Once cut I worked my way from front to rear and tack welded the S bent piece into shape. What it looks like once done for those curious (talking about the rear section behind the seats):

Dropped vs stock picts:

Clear as mud [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] Feel free to ask me any questions [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Old March 16th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #22
57Drag
Forum Member

"Feel free to ask me any questions ".....Nick

Is it done yet [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img] .......Any progress......Come one Nick use rookies want to know [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] .....Donald
Old March 16th, 2005, 05:29 AM   #23
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

i'm loving this thread, because i plan to channel the truck too, soon, and am still undecided exactly how i'm gonna do it, but every pic is a help.....keep 'em coming
Old March 16th, 2005, 05:47 AM   #24
57Drag
Forum Member

That's why we love this place....I am going to do my 66 drag car similar to that [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] ....Donald
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #25
mikeschramm
Forum Member

11 years ago I mildly channeled my ghia vert. I say mild becouse I only channeled her 2 1/2" . At the time I was going for a restro-custom look and not a slamed rod. Also, becouse of the engine to deck lid clearance issue I rake-channeled it. Meaning the front is channeled 2 1/2' but the very rear is stock -kinda like a pie cut channel. To level it off I am using adjustable spring plates for the rear.
At the time I did the work the rocker panels and heater channels were completely rusted out and had to be replaced with new metal. So I decided that since I was gonna cut out all the old rust and add new metal I might-as-well lower it too.

Before I started any mods I removed the body from the pan and it folded in half due to the rust in the rockers. Since it is a convertible I wanted it to be stiff and not flex so I welded in 2x2" square tubing where the heater channel used to be -but 2 1/2" higher then its stock location...no heater [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] then I welded the new rocker panels and other sheet metal in place. The pan is also made of 2x2" tubing using the stock tunnel and 1/8" plate for the floor boards. The body and pan were put together by bolting the two runs of 2x2" square tubing together.

Just recently I wanted a slamed look so I got some dropped spendels and now It is to low. I think I will cut and turn the axle tubes to lift it a bit. Also I may narrow the beam becouse the 135s rub when U-turning and I want to put 165s on all 4 corners again.

mike
Closed Thread