Default Re: I aquired another VW

Lol
Bugula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2020, 07:29 AM   #502
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Brakes work, I'm still gonna replace the rear rubber brake lines, but it no longer wants to turn left when I step on the brakes, I had to replace the master cylinder, damn that sucked, my body can't get into that position like it could 9 years ago

I'm fabing a rear bumper, luckily my neighbor has a tube bender, I just need to bend a piece and weld it together, I may wait and let my son weld it when he visits

The floor pans and heater channels were brand new when I started driving it 9 years ago, I pulled the carpet out and I was amazed at how much they rusted, the heater channel on the drivers side have a few holes in them, if I replace them I'm using some thick wall tubing

I still need to buy some more wire so I can put the wire harness in, lifting the body off is gonna be fun, I need to plan a date and try to get enough people to raise it up and roll the pan out

I have been driving it, it's only for short drives, but it sure is fun, more to come in the next few months

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2020, 06:52 PM   #503
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I feel like I accomplished something, I needed a tube bender for a long time now, I needed to bend a piece 180 degrees to make a rear bumper, my neighbor has a tube bender but not the radius I wanted, so I made a crud one, I only wish I had used better wood, guess I can always make a better one if this doesn't last, fired up my forge to heat the tube up, bent fairly easy considering it is 1/8" wall

Now I need to do another one with longer piece of tube

Ron

RSS
Old June 25th, 2020, 09:32 AM   #504
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Thatís slick! Um, where are the marshmallows?
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2020, 04:39 PM   #505
Bugula
Forum Member

Thatís some mid evil shit right there.
Old June 27th, 2020, 03:18 AM   #506
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Thatís slick! Um, where are the marshmallows?
I was thinking the same thing after I got it hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugula View Post
Thatís some mid evil shit right there.
I enjoyed every minute of it

I had a tough time getting the second side bent right so I just bent a piece at a 90 degree and welded them together, eventually I plan to put a trailer hitch on it, now I need t clean and fix my stick welder and have my son finish weld everything next time he is here

Ron

RSS
Old June 27th, 2020, 06:37 AM   #507
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Nice job, even without marshmallows. 🙄😄😄
Old August 13th, 2020, 08:49 AM   #508
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I ordered a complete wiring harness a few days ago, just waiting for it to get here, I'm gonna lift the body off and do some work on the floor pan as well as the body, I need to replace the rear body mounts and weld some new sheet metal in, I'm thinking about pulling the engine apart to try to fix some oil leaks, getting tired of leaving spots everywhere I park it

I'll update as I get things finished

Ron

RSS
Old August 20th, 2020, 10:35 PM   #509
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
I ordered a complete wiring harness a few days ago, just waiting for it to get here, I'm gonna lift the body off and do some work on the floor pan as well as the body, I need to replace the rear body mounts and weld some new sheet metal in, I'm thinking about pulling the engine apart to try to fix some oil leaks, getting tired of leaving spots everywhere I park it

I'll update as I get things finished

Ron
Just mount a cafeteria tray under the engine! There youíre no longer leaving drips everywhere.

And just pour it back into the engine for the full circle of life!

Your welcome!

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2020, 10:11 AM   #510
V8Transporter
Forum Member

If you use an aluminum tray, it dissipates heat well and you can fit a drain plug.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 08:08 AM   #511
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Just mount a cafeteria tray under the engine! There youíre no longer leaving drips everywhere.

And just pour it back into the engine for the full circle of life!

Your welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
If you use an aluminum tray, it dissipates heat well and you can fit a drain plug.
I have a nice stainless tray

I have a piece of carpet I lay under it in the driveway, after it gets oil soaked I'll burn it

I spent a few days tearing things apart, I still need to pull the rest of the harness out, got all the body bolts but 1 out, I'll just cut that one, added the rear pieces of the roll cage, need to bend some sheet metal to fit, gonna use a Cadillac hood this time, plus I still have some 1956 Bug sheet metal laying around if I need it

The view from the rear

The front

The inside, notice the rust in the heater channel where I rested my foot, it will be 10 years ago In October I put them it

Thinking about replacing that part of the front with tubing

Oh yeah I also scored a welder for $50, it's a 220 flux core/mig I bought from a friend, he bought it from one of my neighbors who told him it wouldn't work, I just put my roll of wire in it and it worked fine, I'm pretty sure they lost something for the wire spool when they were changing it, but nothing I couldn't fix, it has a duty cycle of 100% at the 2nd setting

Ron

RSS
Old August 23rd, 2020, 02:19 PM   #512
Bugula
Forum Member

I wish you were closer. This was yesterday.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 02:40 PM   #513
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
I have a nice stainless tray

I have a piece of carpet I lay under it in the driveway, after it gets oil soaked I'll burn it

I spent a few days tearing things apart, I still need to pull the rest of the harness out, got all the body bolts but 1 out, I'll just cut that one, added the rear pieces of the roll cage, need to bend some sheet metal to fit, gonna use a Cadillac hood this time, plus I still have some 1956 Bug sheet metal laying around if I need it

The view from the rear

The front

The inside, notice the rust in the heater channel where I rested my foot, it will be 10 years ago In October I put them it

Thinking about replacing that part of the front with tubing

Oh yeah I also scored a welder for $50, it's a 220 flux core/mig I bought from a friend, he bought it from one of my neighbors who told him it wouldn't work, I just put my roll of wire in it and it worked fine, I'm pretty sure they lost something for the wire spool when they were changing it, but nothing I couldn't fix, it has a duty cycle of 100% at the 2nd setting

Ron
Iíve had good luck with flux core. Honestly in your case if itís the outer skin of the heater channel you might be fine with just patching it. Or just get some screws and an old license plate for that ratty touch.

Shame you werenít closer to me Iíd give you a whole 1966 shell I have thatís just sitting there but Iím in Minnesota.

My plan is to turn it into a bug truck bed camper but having it keep another bug on the road would be worthwhile.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2020, 09:05 AM   #514
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have the body raised up a few inches, I only had to cut 1 bolt to the heater channel, now I'm thinking "why did I do this" Short answer is It has way more rust than I expected, I should have done a better job 10 years ago, instead I just put it together so I'd have a car to drive

I wish I had the money to buy the replacement luggage panel for the rear seat area, but I have plenty of sheet metal to replace it with, I hope to start cutting and welding in another week

I almost have the wiring harness removed, I just need to remove everything behind the dash, then the welding begins

I also plan to clean and refinish the floor pan, the bottoms of the floor pans look better than the inside, there is still gray paint on them, inside is completely rusty

Ron

RSS
Old September 15th, 2020, 07:42 AM   #515
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Yesterday I separated the body and pan, now I need to put the body on something so I can comfortably get in and weld all the holes, then I'm gonna do the floor pan and paint it all

Ron

RSS
Old September 15th, 2020, 11:56 AM   #516
Bugula
Forum Member

I can see a bug on an S10 chassis in dem weeds!
Old September 17th, 2020, 03:16 AM   #517
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugula View Post
I can see a bug on an S10 chassis in dem weeds!
Yeah I see it every day, I need to get back on that as soon as I can, I put it there 10 years ago this month, tires won't hold air, there is a tree trying grow up under it that I've been cutting every spring and fall, I need to get me a new winch so I can move it, I don't have any help now that my sons moved out, I have them do all my heavy lifting when they do come over, it wasn't easy getting that body off myself, but I managed

As for the Volksrod, it's been 10 years this month that I brought it home and started working on it, I'm gonna start calling it the Bruise, mostly because I always have a bruise somewhere from working on it, and because of it's colors, black blue and purple
I'm also thinking about doing something different, I was looking at it the other day, IF I had a Subaru engine I'd do a mid engine to it, but that's a lot of work, I'm not to sure about everything that has to be done to the transaxle, from what I understand just flipping the R&P, if that's it I may look into it, I could also do it and just use the VW engine, I'll most likely just put it back together the way it was and just build another rear seating area using what I have, I thought I kept all the old sheet metal from my 66 Bug but I can only find 1 small piece that bolts to the floor pan and starts to go around the torsion housing, I have plenty of sheet metal laying around to work with

I hope to have it back together by Spring, as long as I don't have any health issues pop up I should be ok, going on 20 years with a 79 year old kidney, my numbers jumped way up at the end of July, but that usually happens every year during that month due to hot weather and dehydration, as of 2 weeks ago they came back down, so I'm hoping some medication changes can help

Ron

RSS
Old September 17th, 2020, 05:33 AM   #518
Bugula
Forum Member

I saw an early Subaru for sale on CL that was automatic and front wheel drive only. Then you could use the engine and trans to have an automatic mid engine Subaru powered VR.