Forum Stats
Members: 17,500
Threads: 32,238
Total Online: 527

Newest Member: gymbo39

Latest Threads
- by cretin
- by yimbo

View Poll Results: (Assuming your volksrod can top 55 mph)
I want to see a return to 55 mph speed limits. 4 7.27%
No way - been there, did that, never again. 51 92.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 29th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #1
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Default 55 mph speed limit on Interstates

If you're old enough to have lived through this the last time we had it, did you like it enough to do it again or not?

Senator Warner has been asking for a fact-finding study, and I'm wondering whether 55 mph might be his fall-back position if cap and trade isn't passed . . . .
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #2
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: 55 mph speed limit on Interstates

no way! i use to drive from above Seattle to Boise in 12 hours at that speed with stops... now it is a shade above 9 hours. Been on 500+ mile drives too many times to want 55 ever again!
1slo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #3
vintage-raze
Forum Member

Doesn't matter....

I'm still going to average 85.

I've paid for enough of the road, I think I've earned it.

Well, fags... and magic clowns.
vintage-raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #4
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

I didn't vote either way, I stay off interstates as much as possible. The bay barely does 55, the dragon likes 62. I don't care if the posted limit is 75, I drive what the engine likes to cruise at. Hubby pushes it, but I won't. Difference between cruise and hurry up and get there.

I remember 55, and growing up, most of our trips were always backroads anyways.
Not sure I'd like to see it back down to 55, but 65 would make me feel better. I hate getting pushed when I'm OFF the interstates.
I go by what the minimum is now. 45, if I'm going over that,I'm fine now.And I DO stay on the far rt to stay out of those who can go fast.
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #5
trikertroy
Forum Member

I dont think Senator Warner is gonna any extra votes... What the hell are SOME people thinking???
trikertroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #6
blacktruck
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

ugh
the only sammy hagar quote I know says it all
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #7
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

I never want to see the national limit reduced to 55 again. 55 on most highways is an ungodly speed IMHO. I"m totally against speed limits in the mname of fuel economy.

If they keep reasonable speed limits for the roads and simply ENFORCE the upper and LOWER limits they have, I'm totally cool with that. Teh problem is speed limits are often too low and people then drive like assholes to get around people camping in the fast lane. If the interstate limit was 70 here, it wouldn't be unreasonable for the roads and it would be much easier to actually drive a steady 70 than much faster to make up time for all the idiots in the road. If they want to enact legislation to make roads safer, ban fucking cell phones.

FWIW, it's still 55 in many of the areas around here. It' IS getting harder and harder to get outside of a congested metropolitan area around here where the 65 is allowed under federal guidelines, but most of my drive IS fortunately still 65. No one does 65 though, more like 75-80.

I just came home from North Dakota. the speed limit on much of the two-lane US Highways was 65mph, the Interstates were 75 mph which is very reasonable considering the roads in both states hardly have anyone on them and a steering wheel is optional equipment for driving on most roads in NoDak. I made the 515 mile trip from Minot to the airport in Minneapolis in 7 hours on the nose and we stopped 1x for gas and lunch a half hour And hit traffic. I never once exceeding the speed limit more than 5 mph. I got 36 mpg average over the trip. That same trip at 55mph would be over 9 and a half hours and I doubt the mpg would increase more than a mpg or 2 in the car we were in as it regularly would drop out of overdrive under 60 to keep moving.

They are simply trying to drop the limits in a vailed attempt to increase revenue from speeding tickets in the name of fuel economy. Modern cars can and are actually geared to get just as good fuel economy at higher sustained speeds and they are also now so full of crash structures and airbags that the differences in the severity between the two speeds in the event of a collision isn't nearly as great as it once was.
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #8
Stray Catalyst
Forum Member

I live in New England - the roads here are rarely so crowded that we need to lower the speed limit - and nobody really pays attention to it, anyway. Who cares if the speed limit is 55 or 65, if SUV's average 90?
Yes, it's true, that extra 10 MPH makes a difference in collisions (assuming anybody obeys the speed limit), and in fuel efficiency. So what? Life hasn't gotten any slower since the last time some politician tried to tilt at this windmill, I see no need to add almost 20% to the length of any highway trip to satisfy this guy's need to control my speed.

Stray Catalyst
Stray Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #9
mkparker
Forum Member

No way man!! And who are the 4 (so far) pansies that said yes?!? 30 lashes for you!!

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #10
TeamEvil/TC
Forum Member

I think that every protesting driver ought to all get together and do five mph under the speed limit on the last day of every month. On every road, high way and secondary. Show the politicians and populace just how insane the limits actually are. The reason that things move so well is that the limits aren't adhered to and tickets get written and things go on. We ought to all do our part for safety and citizenship and clog the hell out of the roadways every single month until this sort of thing stops.

Let's all make "Take It To The Limit" a very REAL thing in September, and every month after that, and THEN see just how things turn out. Clog every city and town and roadway everywhere ! !

If it ever happened, the nation would be SHOCKED at how insane the limits already are !!
TeamEvil/TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #11
Mikelrome
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

:funny : : funny::f unny::fu nny::fun ny::funn y:

Mikelrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #12
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamEvil/TC View Post
I think that every protesting driver ought to all get together and do five mph under the speed limit on the last day of every month. On every road, high way and secondary. Show the politicians and populace just how insane the limits actually are. The reason that things move so well is that the limits aren't adhered to and tickets get written and things go on. We ought to all do our part for safety and citizenship and clog the hell out of the roadways every single month until this sort of thing stops.

Let's all make "Take It To The Limit" a very REAL thing in September, and every month after that, and THEN see just how things turn out. Clog every city and town and roadway everywhere ! !

If it ever happened, the nation would be SHOCKED at how insane the limits already are !!
Talk about a spark for road rage. I'd probably get shot around here if I did that on I 95 at 6:30am on a work morning.!!

Does anyone remember when the police used to do rolling roadblocks at 55 on the interstates? They actually had multiple collisions in the backups they used to cause around here and were told it was a hazard. they also used to park unattended cars along the medians. enact a reasonable speed limit and people are more relaxed and not constantly jamming the brakes going around every blind corner or every time they see a police car.
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #13
hotrodheb

When I took this pic, I was just keeping up with another group of car during the morning commute. Granted, my speedometer is off a bit with the low profile tires, but we were still going 90mph! Most of the time though, everyone keeps it to about 75-80 on the road when it's posted 65.

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #14
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

55 mph was put in effect when cars had bias-ply tires, leaf-springs, no seatbelts or lap belts at best, no crumple zones and a vast majority of inexperienced drivers. It made sense back then.

Cars now are designed to cruise comfortably all day long at speeds double the old limit. The technology in modern cars is incredible; run-flat tires, tire pressure sensors, kevlar belted radials, airbags, 3 pt belts, crumple zones , collision avoidance systems, etc. I'd say that the average 35 yr old today has more driving experience and knows more about the cars systems than the average 50 yr old from the 1960s.

A few years ago I took the family to Busch Gardens in Tampa, FL. That is about a 3-1/2 hour drive from my house. We took the family mini-van, a 1995 Nissan Quest GXE. Traffic was cruising about 85 mph and I was in the left lane and hit 100-105 a few times. I didn't mean to...I was just cruising a little faster than the flow most of the time. It wasn't a white-knuckle ride at all. My wife asked how fast I was going once or twice but that's normal even if we were doing 45. The kids were watching a dvd and my wife was reading a magazine. Granted, this was the extreme and not something I would normally do but it just goes with the point above. I remember as a kid my dad saying the speed out loud when we hit 75, 80, 85 like we were really doing something. To go 90 was just crazy and 100 was ludicrous speed (Spaceballs!)

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #15
fishguts
Forum Member

I remember driving 55 on the interstates. It was surreal ... like a slow-motion movie.

Actually, it was more like constipation - know you need to go but just can't!

Old July 30th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #16
Reaper
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Seems to me, no matter what the speed limit is, people always feel the need to travel faster. Setting a lower limit is un-needed. If you want to fix something, you treat the problem, not the symptoms.
Have kids, that are almost ready to get their license, go through a defensive drivers course. Then sit them in a simulator, that demonstrates the forces involved in a collision at high speeds, wearing NHRA, or NASCAR grade safety equipment. Set them in a vehicle that is set-up for roll overs as well, and have them go through a couple of rolls. Then they might get a better idea, of what can go wrong, when they make the decision, to drive like idiots. It might not change their minds completely, but it sure as hell would make them think twice.

-Keith
Volksrod- [volks-rod] verb, volks.rod.ded, volks.rod.ding. Slang.
A Volkswagen modified in either looks, performance, paint, or a combination of the three, over factory stock.
http://www.myspace.com/isotope0

Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #17
Mikelrome
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The problem with kids today is.

They're too young.

Mikelrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #18
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdust View Post
A few years ago I took the family to Busch Gardens in Tampa, FL. That is about a 3-1/2 hour drive from my house. We took the family mini-van, a 1995 Nissan Quest GXE. Traffic was cruising about 85 mph and I was in the left lane and hit 100-105 a few times. I didn't mean to...I was just cruising a little faster than the flow most of the time. It wasn't a white-knuckle ride at all.
I do that all the time around here. I remember hitting 100 in my Chevelle one time and thought I was going to take flight. I hit 95-100 damn near every day driving to work without trying. You start creeping up on a car, go around it and look down and boom 90+ mph. 80 just isn't abnormal on the interstates around here and just is not fast in my car. I can cruise at 100 for hours on end in it and I just don't feel like I'm going that fast, especially when I'm alone on the road. No kidding, but it honestly takes about 115-120 before I honestly feel like I'm going a speed where it's like I really need to hold on and be on my game a little. Slowing down to 55 on the on ramp feel like the engine is going to stall sometimes.
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #19
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Man, you can't drive 55 around here. Everyone wants in your back seat even going 5 over. And forget about the chicago area, they all drive like lunatics with the 55 limit. I say 65-70 speed limits works for me and then at least the speeders can get around me easier

You gotta love v-rodders. 40*, poor brakes, 1/4 suspension working, 3+ body colors...but I drove it dammit!

I totally feel at home here.

project pics
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ster/?newest=1
Hapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #20
Iowa Mark
Forum Member

Well, well. The cars go lots faster than they ever did, and are lots safer than they ever were, and the people behind the wheel are so much smarter than in all the years cars have been around. I know my reaction time when something happens at 90mph is loads quicker than at 40mph. Me and my car are almost bulletproof at over 100mph! What we need to do is make everyone that gets on the interstate agree to staying at one chosen speed and stay there +/- 10mph. If you stray from that speed, you loose your privileges for x-amount of weeks or months or years. I will continue to drive on the rest of the roads at a speed that an old coot with an old car can cope with and perhaps survive the trip. That is, if the law also enforces the posted limits on secondary roads. I am so sick of people that feel that their breaking the law supersedes someone that is obeying that same law. It would be that same thing as if I liked your car and you were sitting in it. I think i'll just take it from you!
Iowa Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #21
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

I've got no problem adhering to the speed limits when it is reasonable on a given road and generally if I'm in reasonable traffic that allows me to stay close to a posted limit, I do so. 55 mph on roads engineered for 80 is not IMHO reasonable.
If I get cought speeding, I'm guilty and I pay, that simple. I for one haven't claimed to be more intelligent than anyone, nor do i feel I have any more right to the road than anyone else. I'm actually a very courteous driver. I have however attended several intensive high performance driving schools in this country and in germany, defensive and evasive driving courses through the federal government. I've raced dirt track and shifter karts and occasionally used to do some amateur showroom stock and autocross type stuff, so I do feel I'm more prepared and trained far more than the average driver on the road and experienced enough to handle the speeds the car I drive every day. I've had my car current on track at Summit point, Lime Rock, and at pocono and NewJersey Motorsports park at scools in the last two years.

I drive well within my limits, I don't tailgate, I rarely ever change lanes more than maybe once or twice if I'm forced to in well over an hour of driving each day at those kind of speeds and I don't drive recklessly, EVER. When Roads and conditions are right, yeah, sure, I open it up on occasion. el, even having driven o nthe autobahns and autostradas in europe where speed limits are not always present, I drive a reasonable speed for the conditions.

People that drive 55 stay on US RT40 around here. Off of the interstates, I may exceed the limit 5 mph at most anywhere I go because the nature of accidents is far different. I still hold that a nationally mandated blanket 55 mph speed limit on interstate highways is a rediculous restriction and should remain a locally determined parameter.

Unfortunately and realistically, it is just as unsafe in the volume of traffic I drive in to impede traffic doing 55 when everyone else is doing 80 because of the havoc it creates. I have at several friends tha are State Police Troopers and most openly agree with me. It's simply a fact of life that is what the speeds are on the roads here so that is what people drive. Actually there were far more frequent accidents when our speed limit was 55. On the interstate here it's 4 lanes, sometimes 5, a few car lengths apart at most, 80 mph, all day, most every day. I'm sure you've driven lots of places in this country. I"ve been to DesMoines and through Iowa on the way to NoDak. I know your everyday traffic and the roads in Iowa are very different than mine. It's probaly safer for you all to be driving the speeds we do but that's why we have choice ofer where we live. It doesn't make the speeds we drive right, but if we drove 55, our 4 hour rush hour would be more like 6 just to move the volume of people every day.

My answer is still Hell no!

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0; July 30th, 2009 at 06:04 PM.
HeidelbergJohn4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #22
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

There is a video on youtube where a bunch of guys did a rolling roadblock. IT was pretty impressive. They had cameras on overpasses in the cars and such. Neat stuff.

Sorry, no 55 for this man. I try to keep it within 7mph over the limit on the highway and close to the limit on back roads. But once in a while I like to tromp on it.
Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #23
Roddy
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdust View Post
100 was ludicrous speed (Spaceballs!)
"Sir, you might want to buckle up." "Eh BUCKLE DIS!"

I have one of those speedo pics, too.

Last edited by Roddy; March 1st, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #24
Iowa Mark
Forum Member

[quote=
Unfortunately and realistically, it is just as unsafe in the volume of traffic I drive in to impede traffic doing 55 when everyone else is doing 80 because of the havoc it creates. I have at several friends tha are State Police Troopers and most openly agree with me. It's simply a fact of life that is what the speeds are on the roads here so that is what people drive. Actually there were far more frequent accidents when our speed limit was 55. On the interstate here it's 4 lanes, sometimes 5, a few car lengths apart at most, 80 mph, all day, most every day. I'm sure you've driven lots of places in this country. I"ve been to DesMoines and through Iowa on the way to NoDak. I know your everyday traffic and the roads in Iowa are very different than mine. It's probaly safer for you all to be driving the speeds we do but that's why we have choice ofer where we live. It doesn't make the speeds we drive right, but if we drove 55, our 4 hour rush hour would be more like 6 just to move the volume of people every day.

My answer is still Hell no![/quote]

This is the point I am trying to make , and the issue with the original question. The interstate system was built so we could connect the entire nation with a smooth, safe, high speed highway we all could take advantage of. Since we all feel so safe in our new airbagged, crumple-zoned, climate controled traveling living rooms, the speeds have gone up and with it the potential for a lag in our reaction times when something happens at such a rapid closing speed. 90mph vs 55mph. That is why the chuckle-luck slamming his brakes on behind me is so pissed off. He got caught not paying attention and it is now my fault. The guy that is traveling at the speed limit. By all means, raise the speed limit to 200mph, but make sure that the closing speeds are within reason for everyone. Breaking the law has never been a good defence for any court. I choose to obey the speed limit just like I choose to obey most every law out there. That doesn't mean I agree with all the laws, only that I understand that with out upholding all the laws can any of them have any real effect. But, maybe it's ok to just molest the neighbor's kids, or maybe just steal small things, or maybe drive 40 over only in Jersey.
Iowa Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:27 AM   #25
ratlook63
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Mark View Post
or maybe drive 40 over only in Jersey.
Anything to get outa that state as fast as I can.

I nee to get me some MD plates on my cars. Been pulled over 3 times in the 2 weeks I've been here... never for speeding.

If you make it to beer 6 without cutting anything you need to be doing something else." - MrChainsaw

Wanted:
Split tail lights. Repop ok!
Split dash pods or measurements to make my own. Repop ok!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/safetynautguaranteed
ratlook63 is offline   Reply With Quote