Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old December 27th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #201
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Default Re: Effigy's history

Um. I thought you were making it up. Interestingly, there's an advert for hot sauce on the same page.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #202
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So, i discovered last night that I've been severly underestimating Loctite Spray Adhesive (http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/14/...erformance.htm)

Nowhere on the can does it say drying time.. I forget what I used when I made my door panels back in 2003 or 2004 or whenever, but that shit took like 90 minutes minimum to dry..

This stuff, i discovered, is good to go after about 10 minutes.. so this whole time, I've been spraying a small section, and giving it almost 2 hours to dry.

Tonight, I finished gluing the driver's panel and got it mostly assembled. the only things left are to attach the armrest and install it int he car. The spray paint on the armrest was still tacky though and it's cold out so I called it a night..

anyway, here's some pics :)

Here's the main panel with all edges glued down:

the back of it:

Gluing the front of the insert:

The insert fully glued (i got carried away with the knowledge that I could glue a section, listen to a song on the radio, and glue the next section instead of going inside for at least an hour, so i kinda forgot to take progress pics..):

Here I had planned on using 8 screws to hold the insert in place, but the forward top middle one something went wrong and I wound up breaking the rivnut, and the rear top middle one just didn't line up exactly right, poor measurement on my part. Passenger side I will drill the holes together instead of trying to line them up afterwards..

I should be ok though because those bigger holes are the armrest, so it should hold the insert on just fine..

and the quasi-finished product:

Like I said, I just have to install the armrest, and then wrestle it into the car and hope the holes for the clips are close enough to line up with the holes in the door.. my original panels that I used as a hole template are factory originals and water damaged and warped to all hell.. there was a lot of pressing them as flat as possible and eyeballing..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #203
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Got the driver's side installed today and the passenger side ready for install.

I think I put down too much paint on the door handle backplates, they are still tacky to the touch..

Hopefully this week I'll get off my ass long enough to get the fan shroud out so i can swap my new alternator in and then fire it up again..

Driver's side ready for install (backplate there just to see how it'll look.. the handle is still black.)

Little skull accent piece :D

Driver's side installed:

I didn't take into account that the studs on the armrest wouldn't be long enough to go through two panels and two panels-worth of fabric/fowm.. but I found a solution:

Similar to t-nuts, used the snap-ring pliers to tighten em down.

Passenger side is ready for install, but we've squeezed three cars onto a two-car driveway, so I've got to move the Datsun to open the passenger door, i'll do that when it's still light out..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========

Old December 29th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #204
V8Transporter
Forum Member

^^^ X 2. Sweeet! With that subtle shade of red, you won't need an interior light.
Old December 30th, 2015, 12:23 AM   #205
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Lookin good

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozawhat View Post
you are getting the old girl all fancied up like bright red lipstick on a hooker with the Navy coming to town.

I like it,

but I like bright red lipstick on old hookers as well.

oh ya, you are in the Navy so I bet you know what I mean.
Hehehe, I like the way you worded that

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #206
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Got the new alternator in yesterday before I lost feeling in my fingertips..

We have snow flurries today, but allegedly the temp will rise by the end of the week.

I need someone to sit and hold the pedal to the floor while I measure and cut my throttle cable, then it's just a matter of reinstalling the linkage system, and firing it up again.

Get it running, resync the carbs, try to tune it more, and get back on the road! :D

===========

Old January 6th, 2016, 11:31 AM   #207
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I got a stupid idea today.. instead of having someone holdthe gas pedal down for me, I pushed it down, clamped some vise grips on the cable so it couldn't go back up, and finished the installation.

Had to pour a few ounces of sea foam and a fresh gallon of gas into the tank, but after some struggling I got it started again!

The carbs need some tuning (don't they always..) but I was able to take it to pick the kid up from school. :D

Also installed the passenger side door panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12509269_10208037685450999_3281327371978043095_n.jpg (87.6 KB, 24 views)

===========

Old January 6th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #208
V8Transporter
Forum Member

^^^
Old January 8th, 2016, 11:32 AM   #209
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Did some more tweaking today.. Got an appointment next thursday to have a shop fine tune my carbs for me. I think my idles are too small. I'm running 52.5's right now, and they have to be two turns out or it doesn't want to start, After it warms up, I can put em in to just about 1.25 turns out, but then once it's cold again it won't start again..

Discovered that the alternator won't charge (or turn off the idiot light anyway..) under 800 rpms, which is fine, that's a reasonable idle speed, it's just hard to maintain a solid idle speed. I think i've got it now, bt once it warms up, it wants to drop to like 600 for some reason, probably just the brand new cable stretching a little i suppose?

Also redid the timing, sitting at 7.5* at 800RPMS and about 27.5 at 3000..

The only other WTF is a weird popping sound.. I'm guessing that it's the exhaust expanding/contracting, but i've never heard it before. I drove about 2 miles to pick up the kid from school, got to the parking lot and shut it off and after about 30 seconds, i heard a thud like someone hit the fender from underneath. another minute or so and another thud. My guess is the exhaust heated up during driving, and then cooled down fast because it's like 50* outside right now..

Does that sound right to anyone or should I look for a different problem?

===========

Old January 8th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #210
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

I don't think that any of that is bueno.

My timing is definitely different than yours - thuds aren't good either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 04:32 PM   #211
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
I don't think that any of that is bueno.

My timing is definitely different than yours - thuds aren't good either.
that's stock timing numbers.. it was at 9 at idle and about 30 at 3000, i turned it back some and now it doesn't pop on deceleration..

as for the thuds, those are after it's shut down, like when a house settles when the weather changes..

===========

Old January 8th, 2016, 07:45 PM   #212
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Have you peeked underneath to see if anyone is there banging to get out?
Old January 8th, 2016, 09:21 PM   #213
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah View Post
.. it was at 9 at idle and about 30 at 3000,..
Just went back and re-read the numbers. I thought you had typed 7.5 at 8,000 RPM and then 27.5 at 3,000 RPM

So I am thinking - uh.....that is backwards mine is around 7 at idle and 32 at 5,000...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:50 AM   #214
V8Transporter
Forum Member

^^^Hmmm, sometimes my bifocals do that to me too.
Old January 13th, 2016, 05:33 PM   #215
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Dropped it off at a shop today to dial inthe carbs for me..

killed my Optima trying to get it to start for like 15 minutes (not dead, but was down to about 11.3 volts..) so I stole the battery from our 280ZX, got it to start but it was NOT happy until it warmed up..

got about 10 miles down the road and the fuse on my fuel pump blew, replaced it and got to the shop..

Got the Optima on the trickle charger, hope the shop can get the carbs and timing worked out so it will start in cold weather..

===========

Old January 31st, 2016, 12:03 PM   #216
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Finally got a chance to go mess with the bug some more.. I'm a little upset with a local shop, but it's my own fault for being stupid..

I dropped it off with them to tune the carbs, figuring they'd swap jets etc until it ran right.. they instead claim to have synced the carbs, but left my jets alone.. It ran a little better, but didn't start any better in cold weather. and I have no idea what they did, but they charged me for 6.5 hours of labor, which came out to just under $400.. I pretty much got robbed.

In about an hours time today, I jacked up the back end, removed the rear tires, pulled the carbs one at a time, swapped my 52 idles for 60 idles, put it all back, and adjusted mixture screws.

The shop had the mixtures two full turns out, which is where you put them to START.. with the 60 idles, they are now all about 1- 1 1/4 out and it's running a lot better..

oh well, live and learn right? :/ that $400 could have gone towards the digital CHT gauge and sensors I want.. fuck.

===========

Old January 31st, 2016, 04:30 PM   #217
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Sound like the job done by a local shop on a buddy's old Suzuki twin. They charged him for three hours fiddling with the carbs when he told them "it needs jetting." Nope, they didn't do any jet work. They told him they couldn't improve the "lean problem" because of "the K & N filters." Shit, I have been running K & N's on all my bikes and the SC since the '70s. WTFO?
Old February 1st, 2016, 03:50 AM   #218
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

You got out cheap... The shop I work at charges 100 bucks an hour... Of course They get 100... I get crap... but we aren't even working on cars. These are "roughly" expensive lawn mower engines... in Carpet Cleaning equipment.
Old February 8th, 2016, 03:03 PM   #219
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So couldn't get it to start while cold a few days ago..

tonight I swapped a spring in my distributor (not cause I thought it was causing the problem, just wanted to try a different set up..), I was running one small silver and one big silver (MSD Billet distributor), now I'm running two smalls..

Turned the mixture screws back to two turns out, squirted some cheater fluid (b-12) down all four barrels and it fired up relatively easy.

If I understand correctly, the ideal position is between 1 and 1.25 turns out.. It runs good when in that neighborhood, but won't start..

If I leave it at two turns out, it should start (haven't tried a cold morning yet..) but will run rich.

===========

Old March 18th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #220
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So after waiting 3 weeks due to "backorder" I got some new weber jets in the mail last night. Swapped my idles for 57's today, set the timing at 12* at idle and 30* full. idling about 900-1100 or so. turned the mixture screws out about 1.25-1.5 turns and it's running much better..

Took it up the street, shifting around 5000rpms, i made it up to around 50mph in 3rd gear, it had one loud backfire around 3000rpm in 2nd, but it only did it once.

got home, shut it down, let it cool for about 10 minutes and it fired back up first try. Still not perfect, but significantly better than it was.

I have to wait for Safelite (Charger needs a new windshield), but once that gets taken care of, gonna go run some errands in the bug and see how it's doing..

===========

Old March 18th, 2016, 09:47 AM   #221
V8Transporter
Forum Member

It's always nice when you make a change and things go better. Especially with a set of 'dual-burrators.'
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:55 AM   #222
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

well, it starts on first try now instead of 15 minutes of praying.. just used it to pick the kid up from school.. it's running, but something just sounds... "off".. can't explain it..

and it's hard to tell with the crazy loud exhaust, but I think it's popping in 2nd and 3rd gear at 3000+ rpms.. so I think I need to look at trying a different size Air Corrector jet maybe..

===========

Old March 18th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #223
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

There a couple of VW drag racers that live in the Yorktown or Williamsburg area. I'm sorry I don't remember their names or car names, but you might be able to locate them through SEVW racing site, Bug Out site, East Coast Pro racing Association and then on Facebook. Locating one of them might be of better help getting your carbs tuned in. Just a thought for possible help.
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 05:23 AM   #224
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy o's 67 View Post
There a couple of VW drag racers that live in the Yorktown or Williamsburg area. I'm sorry I don't remember their names or car names, but you might be able to locate them through SEVW racing site, Bug Out site, East Coast Pro racing Association and then on Facebook. Locating one of them might be of better help getting your carbs tuned in. Just a thought for possible help.
I'll have to do some searching, or figure out a way to pause time so I have the time to do it myself :P

===========

Old March 19th, 2016, 07:36 AM   #225
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have the cheapest set of dual carbs made, they were on the car when I got it, I sync them myself with one of those cheap carn sybcing deals, I think I paid $20 for it, they run rich, it needs jets to lean it out, but I would rather it be rich so it doesn't over heat in the summer, it starts right up when it's cold, after it's been running a while & I go to start it I hafta push the peal to the floor crank it for about 10 to 15 seconds before it fires up, but it does start, like I said it runs rich, you can see that from the end of the tail pipe being black & sooty, I haven't sync the carbs since I put the engine in 14 months ago & a few thousand miles

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote