Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,692
Threads: 31,741
Total Online: 54

Newest Member: Tucson T

Latest Threads
- by nomercy

Old April 5th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Bud Tugly
Forum Member

Hey everybody, my real name is Don Hill I live in east-central Wisconsin and I’m pushin’ 50 (hard!). I should say right off the bat that I’ll probably never build a car (unless I win the lottery). It’s not that I don’t want to but I’ve made a lifestyle decision that would make it pretty tough – about 20 years ago a group of us took over management of the YMCA camp that we all attended as kids. We took a camp that was on the verge of being sold off and turned it into one of the most successful in the Midwest – so much so that last year our home YMCA decided to put it on the market again to cover their rising debt but we managed to raise enough funds to secure the loans to buy it (adding even more to our workload). Long story short – even though it’s great living in a log cabin in the woods and working outdoors all summer, this is a 24/7 live-in career that leaves very little time for hobbies like hot rods so I have to do most of my cruisin’ online which is how I found you guys about 4 years ago (I’ve been a long-time lurker). If anyone is actually interested in Camp Anokijig, our website is www.anokijig.com (I designed some of the graphics and drew the camp map).

I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s which I consider prime-time for hot rods – drag racing was in it’s golden age, Big Daddy wuz buildin’ and drawin’ crazy shit, Barris had his stuff on TV and in the movies, Hot Rod magazine did features on everything and anything (including dune buggies and drag bugs), and hobby shops were jammed with slot car tracks and cheap car models (most of which I owned, some of which I even finished LOL). I was into all of this stuff but somehow never took the next step and built a car when I was young enough and had time enough to do it (lack of funds and unsympathetic parents didn’t help) – closest I came was a Mazda rotary pickup with a mild custom paint-job, mags, and a tuck&roll interior (very 1970’s - went like a raped-ape but ate expensive stainless steel exhausts for breakfast, lunch and dinner). I have had a couple rides that would be of interest to this forum: my first car was a Type 1 (black rattle-can paint, white vinyl pinstripes – snapped the clutch cable and sold it to a guy who put the engine in a airplane he built in his basement ) and a while back I went through a pair of mid 80’s Vanagons (a air-cooled with a 4 foot sunroof and a waterboxer with a automatic – if any of you guys ever get a tired left leg, find one of these trannys mine was bombproof). About the only the only thing I have of interest right now is my suede and flamed golf cart with a pickup bed that I use as a rolling toolbox (all the 10 year olds around here think it’s pretty badass but they all want me to put spinners on it so what do they know).

My first (and so far only) flame-job. Layout's a little sucky but at least it's symetrical and the fade turned out nice considering I did it all with rattle-cans
Bud Tugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Bud Tugly
Forum Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/imwithstupid.gif[/img] JEE-ZUS I just reread that and it went on for-fricken-ever [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img]

Wish I could say I wuz loaded but the Docs made me give that up long ago [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crybaby.gif[/img]

Long story short - great site [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] I'll try not to be a pest [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hello.gif[/img]

Don
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Bud Tugly
Forum Member

I know what I said in my first post about not having the time to build a rod, well I still don't but sometimes you just gotta say screw it and do it anyway!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

I've had an idea for a car kicking around for quite some time and recently had a small windfall of cash and I think that I have a line on some workspace so I'm going to give it a shot. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Sawzallsmiley.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/welderface.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/driving.gif[/img]

Here's the concept...

Here's the plan...
- remove fenders, top & rear sheetmetal, and 10-12 inches behind the B-pillar
- move body back to extend the front axle (sorry Tinbeater, no extension needed)
- reskin the doors and build custom rearend out of wood (I'm a much better woodworker than bodyman)
- freshen up the motor and make it look purdy
- drive the shit out of it!!!!

Here's the inspiration...

saw this Woody Deuce in the 2004 Rod&Custom Asphalt Ego-Rama

Rob, I'll probably (read definitely, absolutely, positively) need some tips on moving the body back and relocating the pedals, shifter, etc... plus I dig your upholstery and windshield frame

I really dig this Pascal Meslet cartoon but I want a roadster

the "Little Wood" - I like it but I think I can improve on the woodwork

excellent woodwork but I'd loose the fenders

I'm gonna try to dig up some Peterson plans just to get the dimensions but I want more of a Manx inspired rearend

Well that's the plan for now, just gotta find the donar car...
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:47 PM   #4
Bud Tugly
Forum Member

Finally shared the project with my wife and she's excited about the build but does not want a open roadster so back to the drawing board...

I really like this Fiat from a 70's "Rod Action" mag

combine that with a shortened version of a Peterson Woody like this (minus the faux-forty hood)

and this is what I hope to come up with

Good News - Wife is onboard for the build and I've got a bud willing to let me use some (heated!) work space
Bad News - camping season is in full gear and I'll be working pretty much 24/7 for the next 3 months so other than maybe hunting up a donar VW there will be no work done until at least September [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crybaby.gif[/img]