Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,616
Threads: 32,327
Total Online: 466

Newest Member: justinvw2275

Latest Threads
- by Bugula

Old June 2nd, 2006, 04:38 PM   #1
mikevw
Forum Member

I got into Bugs because they seemed like the most simple car to work on and they are smog exempt. As usual I make simple things harder than they need to be which leads me to my current project. My goal is to take my '71 and build a custom chassis and put a 200hp Honda VTEC motor in the back. Not your conventional just hook the motor to the VW transaxle but taking the front wheel set up it was and making it rear wheel drive. Lots of work to come. I am undecided on whether to go the traditional Volksrod fenderless look or not but this seems like the only forum that will accept me. All the other forums are full of purists who cringe when I tell them that my favorite thing to do is [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Sawzallsmiley.gif[/img] stock parts.

I am handy with [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/welderface.gif[/img] , wiring, [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Sawzallsmiley.gif[/img] , and fiberglass and just about everything else if anyone needs assistance with their project.

Mike

www.Type1R.com

Last edited by mikevw; September 28th, 2006 at 10:36 AM.
mikevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #2
mikevw
Forum Member

Default Re: MikeVW

Finally got the uprights a few weeks ago. My local Pick N Pull opted out of the half off sale the rest of the continent was having so I had to road trip out to Hayward and pray they had what I needed. Pickapart.com had their half day and one Supra, SCORE. Took me forever to pull off all four uprights and calipers but in the end saved me a few hundred $$$. In the process of building my own tubing bender to use building the frame and suspension components. It won't have the double wishbones at all four corners as I wanted since the rear Supra uprights are suited for a top wishbone and two seperate lower links. I am opting for the rocker arm setup in the front and I am using 2005 Yamaha R6 coilover socks and springs (ultra cheap) instead of the hot rod versions. If anyone is interested in the plans for a tubing bender you can find it here: http://www.pro-tools.com/200k.htm When I am finished building it I will post pictures and total cost of build.

Mike

www.Type1R.com
mikevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #3
mikevw
Forum Member

Default Re: MikeVW

Finally got the motor on a rollers and test fitted it in the back after some

Test fit of rims with spindles

Vent for cooling

Mike

www.Type1R.com