Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,510
Threads: 32,311
Total Online: 1385

Newest Member: donzimatt

Latest Threads
- by Bugula
- by alykat
- by Zee
- by horshak

Old June 15th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #1
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

Default Veronica The V-Bucket

Whats up folks? Cash Peters here, aka Crazyman Stanley aka Josh. So I've been a fan of volksrods for as long as i have know about the site. Definately awesome scene. Anyway, I finally got a place with some of the buddies that I can freely work on projects with out the parents on my back. I just turned 20, but i have wanted to make a custom since i was about 14. Volksrods is the answer. Well, the night i got home from bug-o-rama, i moved out. And found a car that seemed like a great volunteer to go under the knife, err cutting torch to be more specific.

Heres the donar: a 1965 type 1

This sorry piece of shit that has been sitting around since the early 90's is going to be transformed into what i've named Veronica: The V-Bucket

So first thing I did was tear out the interior. Over twenty pounds of nasty red shag carpet, headliner, door panels, glass, radio, seats, and other misc. crap. Unfortunately i found that the whole passenger side pan is pretty well wrotted through. Oh well one more thing to add to the 'to do' list.
Heres the interior all stripped:

Next i finished up pulling the glass and other shit in prep for removing the top. Busted out the torch and got to work. A few small fires later, the top was off:

Now I decided that it was time to start welding up the doors. The only problem; i've never torch welded and I dont have a MIG. hmmm...FUCK IT. I through on the 00 welding tip on my torch and went to work. For some reason, there's nothing but plastic hangers in my closet now... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
So anyways, staying true to my oakey heritage, i welded up the driver side door with torch and coat hanger.

Not too bad, for my first attempt at torch weld...but as you can see, i got a bit better on the second weld...and so on:

Well thats about it so far, next is to cut off the rear of the car and form the corners of the bucket. All in all I'd say that I'm doin alright for only 1 week worth of tinkering after work...
1965/67 V-Bucket:
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11494

Last edited by crazyman_stanley; July 13th, 2006 at 08:51 AM.
crazyman_stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #2
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

Default Re: newb: The V-Bucket

So i guess its time for another update. I did a bit more welding on the doors and started shaving the hinges and the raingutters...which by the way, is going to be a total pain in the ass since the rain gutters are where two pieces of metal were joined . But anyways.

Next I decided that it was time to lose the rear end so i could start planning out the rear of the cab. A bit of torching and cutting later, this is what was left:

And then once it was totally removed:

Next step; forming the corners for the rear of the cab.
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #3
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

Alright so i guess its time for another update. I've only worked on it a few times since the last update, but eachtime i have, i've pumped through a good 4 hours or so at a time, so alot has been done. After staring at the rear quarter panel, trying to figure out how the hell I was going to turn it into the corner of the cab, I decided It would be easier to just cut it off and build it off the car.
So I cut the quarter panels off the rear and now the thinkin set in again. I prolly made about 5 templates, drank 5 beers, and smoked 5 cigs before I figured out the easiest way to get it done, and make it look right. So a few hours of cutting, bending, and welding, I ended up with this:

So I welded the corners the rest of the way up, and started to reattach them to the body. My ADD got the best of me, as it usually does, when I get bored of doing one thing and decide to do another. So I decided to fill the hand scoop in the door. First I cut out the metal all the way to the gap between the door and the upright.

Then I made up a filler piece out of another door that I've been using for sheet metal, and welded it into the hole.

So I've done more work since these pictures were taken, So Im sure a new post will be up soon of the progress. Now I need to finish welding up the doors to fill in the rear of the cab. But, for now ill leave you with this picture of Veronica:
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old July 14th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #4
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

So I went to work on the car again last night when I got home from work around 4:45 and went until about 10:30. I did more welding and pounding on the two doors to fill in the rear of the cab. I've been doing alot more work with the hammer and dolly while welding. This makes the process longer, but the end result is much better and less frustrating. So I did more welding on the rear quarter panel (now the corner of the cab) welding it back to the pillar that the door is welded up to. After a few hours of welding an inch, then pounding out the welds, then welding another inch... My legs and feet started burning from squating down and my thumb went numb while hammering. hmmm, maybe I should take a break and attack another part of the car. So I decided that it was time to get started on the front apron. It is my presonal opinion that any fenderless that still has the front apron attached is just fuckin horrible lookin. But, I didnt want to go the more common route of hackin off the entire front end past where the front quarter and the hood meet. Though I understand that the majority of the front end will be pretty butchered after extending the beam, I still want to have some substance. So I went to work cutting out some of the chunks of the front apron, leaving metal here and there to have something to put all back together once i get rid of all the hideous curves that are normally hidden by the fenders, and smooth it all out. I tacked in some temp. supports and called it a night, I took a few pics that I'll prolly post on monday.
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #5
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

Alright well, I've done some more work, but first, Ill throw in some pics to cover the last post. Heres a picture of the stock apron, ready for cutting:

And then after some trimming:

So after some fooling around with the apron and fender area, tossing around some ideas in my head, i moved back to the cab. I used a rope and just lining up by eye to measure out the cuts on the two doors that I welded up to fill in the rear of the cab. Heres a picture of the test fit, before cutting out the area for the tunnel.

And after the cut out:

So Lately I've been working out in the driveway more than in the garage. Its nice to get a bit of a breeze in your face while torch welding in 106*F. Also, i find it pretty entertaining seeing the looks on all my neighbors' faces as they drive by in their giant SUV's on the way to their $750,000 homes, peering out to see some greased up kid with a smoke hangin from his mouth, a beer in one hand, and a torch waving around in the other. I like how my house has become the house that people cross the street to avoid walking in front of. Oh well, im gettin kicked out soon so might as well enjoy it while i can.
Well kids, till next time. _CASH_

Veronica the V-Bucket:
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #6
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

alright well, I've done a bunch more work since the last update, but I've been going through all kinds of crazy shit lately, between arguing with room mates, moving out (possible lawsuit pending), changing jobs, and a few other things, I've been too damn busy to do any updating. But here it is: I started re-forming the fender wells and the windshield uprights, also started smoothing out the dash and doing some finishing work on the rear of the cab. When I do finish all that I've already started working on, Ill have about 1/3 of the work done. I still have to: build the engine, finish the interior, find and cut a bed, extend the front end, and then slap every thing together to make it work. Unfortunately, part of the move including smashing all of the shit that I had in my garage and side yard into a 1 car garage at my brothers place. So for about a month and a half I will not be able to make any progress on Veronica... :/ But oh well shit happens. Ill post pics as soon as I can get them uploaded. Oh and I'l leave you with an image of one of the things that have been taking my money/time up as of late: See ya, CA$H

1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old August 31st, 2006, 04:41 PM   #7
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

alright well i hope you all haven't forgotten me. Haha, the past month has been a damn long one, with no work on Veronica what-so-ever. But, in about an hour i am going to a walk through of a house for rent so hopefully itll go through, and ill be moved in a few weeks. Then its time to dust off the torch and tools and get back to work before the weather turns to shit. I also got a new job with some extra fundage to go towards the project. So my goals...ill say my christmas gift to myself will hopefully be a completed 1776 and all the body work completed. Considering that i did what i have done so far in under 5 weeks...id say its a reachable goal...financially allowing. well anyways, i know these text entries are lame so ill cut it off. Take it easy kids, wish me luck. _Cash_
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old October 9th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #8
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

well, not much has changed
I still havent worked on veronica
i still havent moved out
and im still going fuckin stir crazy
But I have been looking for a house like crazy, and hopefully I will be in one by the end of october. I will work on the car by November, and updates will be posted, so look forward to it.
Take her easy,
Cash
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old October 15th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #9
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

MORE PICTURES!!

Started trimmin the fenders wells

Before and After Some Dash Filling: (still got a bit more to do)

Cutting Wheel Incident:

These are all older pictures, and there is actually a bit more work done that i dont have pictures of yet. Just uploaded these now and thought I'd share. Look forward to updates. I know I am...FUCK I NEED A GARAGE!
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #10
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

yea so, im moved into the new place, and i had planned on gettin the v bucket here a few weeks ago. Unfortunately after a day long rain in the mountains, my truck's back end decided to come out from under me and I took a roll down the side of a cliff. I suffered only a slight cut on my arm, but i cant say so for the truck. after flipping over twice, its totalled. So this has put a damper on my plans, but hopefully ill be able to get her here this weekend, and ill actually have something to do while im sitting at home...anyone wanna buy a 350?
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:46 AM   #11
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

We all know how shit goes sometimes. I started this build in 06, busted ass on it, then it sat. Until last week when I found a flyer for a car show coming up April 12th in Las Vegas and it lit a fire under my ass and i've been workin like crazy on it. So far in a week I have prepped a pan from my 1967 driver, put Veronica on the pan, bought, cut and resized a truck bed, installed a gas tank, modified and installed a bench seat and a buncha random body work that needed doing. Ill post pictures soon, you can check out details on the build here: http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20517
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #12
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

well for those that havent been keeping up with the other thread, I gotta crazy hair up my ass to try and finish veronica in 18 days...but unfortunately my health/lack of funds got in the way. I didmake some damn good progress though so ill post up some updates.

First, I pulled the body offa my 67 so that I could use the pan for veronica:

And scraped off all the tarpaper shit:

1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #13
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

Foud a donar bed in the form of a free trailor thanks to the help of fellow Volksrodders (i think it was Pnor)

Here it is after a day of torch cutting and driving the 3 hour drive home

So I went ahead and set veronica on the 67 pan:

And started on some of the essential body work to try to get her roadworthy...remember that I was just trying to get her on the road, not "finished" so the work looks pretty damn rough, but will clean up/finish off fine

Here I cut out the stock window groove and tacked in a filler strip:

And heres a shot of some progress on the raingutter and door hinge shave:

1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #14
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

Here was my first attempt at narrowing the stock rear bench seat:

But after I got it all in place I sat in her and realised that It was way to far back in the cab for me even though im 6' 1" I couldnt reach the pedals. Moving the seat further forward meant the cab was narrower so I again had to cut more out of the width. Ill post more pics of the seat soon.

I also started cuttin the bed to size. Heres the stock side length:

And here it is tacked together once chopped down:

And sitting on the car:

I think I might have to cut more out of the overall length to get the right look, but If anything I purposely left it bigger than nec. so that I'd have some material to work with if I dont like the look. Got the tires in from UVT thanks to Mike. 30 inch rears and 26 inch fronts. Once I get em mounted and balanced and put on the car Ill decide on the final dimensions, want her looonnngg and looowww
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #15
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

I also bought this 10 gal airtank from harbor freight for $35. Bought the plumbing parts to use it as a fuel tank and trimmed off the metal straps and started building the mounts. heres a pic of the plumbing with the straps still attached, more pics soon.
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #16
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

The other stuff that still has photos pending:
Transferred about 90% of the wiring harness
Seat backrest mounts/installation
Designed a custom beam extender 12" extension, 4.5" drop
Steering shaft tube relocation/steering wheel installation
Gastank mounts
uhh prolly more that Im forgettin
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:31 AM   #17
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

Wow, haven't updated in a while. So I finally got off my ass again and got to workin on Veronica. As I posted in the 'Am I Insane?' thread, the biggest hold up with getting any real progress done has been the front end extender. I think the fact that I had to cut 2 big plates of 1/4 inch steel with only a cut-off wheel might have been that reason that I had a lack of enthusiasm to get it done. So after about 8 hours and 10 cut-off wheels I got the plates done and slapped em together to admire the final product of my labor:

Here it is propped up in place in its 4.5 inch drop, 12 inch exstension of glory:

Heres a shot of my little work cave that I set up to keep me outta the sun haha:
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:33 AM   #18
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

So I got it all welded up and started drilling my holes to mount it up and hit a snag. Need to drill 1/2 holes but my drill cant hold a 1/2 inch bit so imma hafta go borrow my pops' drill and get some good shots of the beam bolted up. I also got some more body work done. Ill have to take some time and get some pictures of all the progress that I have'nt posted yet. Check back
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #19
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

Ladies and gentlemen!

SHES ON HER FEET!

Still gotta do the torsion raise and hood mods before its practically done, but its nice to have them front wheels hangin way the fuck out there.

Pics soon!
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old October 13th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #20
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

So I got a hell of alot of work done on her this weekend.
I plumber new front brake hardlines
new flex lines
fabbed and installed the steering extension/u-joint
scraped the bondo off the passenger side quarter panel
shaved a wiper mount
cleaned up some welds
built the gas tank
And on saturday night I drove her for the first time.
Alotta major steps towards gettin her on the road more so than trying to get her done. Recently moved out to the bay so I gotta get her driveable so I can take her out to her new home.
Pics up soon
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #21
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

So.
I am now officially moved into the new place in San Leandro and I got Veronica here a couple weeks back. So far in the 4 or 5 times I've worked on her I have
finished scraping bondo off the passenger front quarter panel
started both interior rear corners of the cab (comin along rear well)
filled the hinge holes
filled the handscoop holes in the rear of the cab
randon finishing welds and grinding

So there it is, I will post pics as soon as I get access to a digital camera out here.
Oh and since I dont really know anyone around here, if you're a V-rodder from any decent driving range from San Leandro to Richmond, hit me up. We could check out eachother's projects or just shoot the shit or whatever.

Later-Cash
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #22
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

So I stripped down my 1500 again, drilled and tapped it and installed the case savers. Got it all slapped back together and installed a new dist. and dual Weber 34ICT's. Got it tuned in for the most part, still could use some tweeking though.

Last night I went out and hacked apart the corners and rear of the cab again to straighten out some of the angles that I didnt like. Looks good now. Hopefully I'll borrow my bro's camera or something and snap a few pics soon
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #23
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

So after staring at the cab and taking a few measurements, last night I cut the whole rear corner of the cab loose, cut out another inch, tacked it back in place, cut some more welds and tweaked everything until it looked right. I'm getting to the point now where instead of just slappin shit together to get it close to being something, Im actually cleaning shit up to make it look right. Checking all my angles, finishing welds grinding welds, poundin panels, etc.
My next move will be to decide in what order I wanna do some major steps.

-I have to rebuild the front beam & install adjusters (this will probably mean also reinstalling the stock spindles for ground clearance)
-I have to do the tranny raise
- & I gotta go through the drums, reconnect everything, and bleed the brakes

Some other smaller stuff here and there, but those are the major things that still need to happen for it to be "done". I just have to decide if I want to bleed the brakes before or after the suspension mods.
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #24
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

Oh and I will hopefully get to borrow a camera and post up some pics by the end of the week. I have also rebuilt my bed again since my Jan. 7th post...
1965/67 V-Bucket:
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #25
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member

Ok...where to begin. This was a hell of a weekend.
Last Tuesday I pulled the beam off Veronica with the intent to get my adjusters installed. I got the beam off, disconnected the trailing arms and pulled the leafs. I called it a night.

Wednesday, after reading through Fonzy's adjuster install how-to, I realized that having a bench vice would come in handy. So I decided to buy one, aaannnd build a work bench to attach it to. So Wednesday night I stopped by Homo-Depot and bought my vice, lumber and nails and got to work. After about 3 hours of work I had me a work bench with vice installed.

Thursday night I shmobbed out to the valley and got wasted with my buddies.

Friday, after I got my ass up and back home I threw the beam in the vice and got to work. Stripped 40 years of road grime and grease and cut it up to make way for the adjusters Took it over to my buddies shop and used his 220 welder to sew it all up Then I cleaned up, chugged a 5 hour energy and went to my buddies in the city and got shitfaced again.

Saturday, drug my ass back home and got back to work. Cleaned the rest of the front end componants, steering box, trailing arms etc. and painted em all. Reassembled and intalled the beam, dropped the jack and the bulk was sitting on the ground with the adjusters at their highest point.
So I ripped the front end apart again and installed my stock spindles in place of the 2.5" drop spindles that were installed.

This mornin I went out and stared at her to try to decide what I wanted to do now...how bout a TRANNY RAISE?!
"Fuck it" pulled the bed off, dropped the motor, pulled the trans, pulled the body and got to work on the pans. I cleaned a bunch of shit off the pans and started strippin shit I didnt need; the heater duct tubes and shit like that. Got everything cleaned up and started cuttin the pans apart. I cut the rear 18 or so inches off, im plannin on relocating them further up on the pan so that the rear of the cab will bolt up to them. Now its sitting out there waiting for the cutting to begin.

Oh and I got a camera and have been snapping photos so ill post some up when I get em uploaded
1965/67 V-Bucket: