Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,473
Threads: 32,236
Total Online: 502

Newest Member: THarr

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:47 PM   #1
BattleBug
Forum Member

Default Just another vent window mod string

Well, I didn't realize that there were so many guys doing this. Seemed like it was just Ray Dean and I. Anyway, I've been playing with this for the last few days and by Monday or Tuesday I should have one completed minus the glass. Here are the pics up to date. I'll add the rest as I complete it.

1. This is just one last fit before I had the window frame tacked in so I could reference how everything lined up on the bottom. Nothing really happening here.

2. This was with tape lines added for my cuts. I wanted to optimize how much I had left over so I could have a better lower piece for mock-up afterwards.

3. This is with my window frame tacked in and the cuts made on the vent window frame. I should mention here that I was planning on using the lower mount over the front as I like a bit wider vent window rather than a narrower one. You will see in a later pic that it really wasn't that much of a difference on mine. Maybe an inch and a half at best. I however realized something here after the fact, I should have waited to cut the aluminum upright post as I could have just cut it to length. Oh well, I'm still a little green at some of this!

4. As you can see here, the frame is all tacked up and the difference in where the post ends up is very minor. But I still want to use the lower mount so as to maintain the original glass width for the door. Plus the proportions are pretty nice overall.

5. This basically shows the frame outside of the door. I plan on keeping the upper mount and just drill a hole large enough to allow the screw that fastens into door window frame to pass through. Then I'll just add a new bracket to rivot to the upright. Sounds like a hassle but it's really not.

6. And finally for the moment this shows the vent window glass frame cut and just sitting in place. Sorry for the glare.

If there is anything in particular that anyone would like to know, please let me know so I can add it. It's hard to keep everything in mind when doing these step by step processes.

A.J.
BattleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 10:30 PM   #2
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Just another vent window mod string

Wow, awesome A.J.! This will make an awesome tech article!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #3
katman
Forum Member

Thanks for the tip, Battlebug! It looks easier than I thought...but then again.... a great guitarist playing his axe makes it look pretty simple, too! I think the vent window adds soooo much to the look, and to the comfort!
- '71 Super Driver (Felix)
- '70 Sunroof Sedan
- '691/2 Karmann Ghia conv. (Kara Mia)
katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #4
BattleBug
Forum Member

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the comments!

Thanks also Katman, making the great guitarist analogy makes it sound like I'm great at metal fabrication...LOL! Although I do appreciate the comments very much! I have a lot to learn and improve on and I do aspire to be much better. Thanks all the same for the comments and I'll keep em' coming as I get the stuff done.

A.J.
Old September 24th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #5
crack monkey
Capt A's super package

with the placement of the upper mount... is it possible to just flip that bracket to face forward and use the same hole???
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
crack monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #6
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Good write up AJ.

I know what you meen about not knowing what to put into it. There is always some small little thing that gets left out. Or if you're like me, you get so busy working that you forget to stop and photo things as you go. I'm going into the shop and I have to clean it out (to many old parts siutting around) so I can get to work on a few things. Keep up the work keep the pics comming.
Old September 24th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #7
BattleBug
Forum Member

This is my second installment on the vent window mods. Today my friend Brandon and I went out to the weld shop where he works and TIGed up the aluminum pieces. A couple small mods and the driver's side is done. So without further ramblings...

1. This shows the freshly welded pieces. All welds need to be cleaned and then lastly polished but there are still a couple of minor mods that need to be done first. The first is that the excess needs to be trimmed from both pieces of aluminum. I basically just took the piece that was cut out of the middle and added it to the end on the glass frame. The other frame was rewelded since my error earlier with the final cut being to fit up into the door's window frame.

2. This and the following pics just shows the post cut to length and the vent window frame and glass frame installed for mock up.

To address the previous questions, the upper hinge can't really be flipped as the inner part holds the contour of the frame work. My solution will be to pop the rivots, then move it to the appropriate position. Also in doing so, I'm going to cut the tabs where it hinges loose and fasten them together and then retack them once the other pieces are in place. This will assure that they are at the correct angle so the window pivots as it should. You can't really see it in the pictures but the original upper pivot point when opened up is way off. It could actually fasten in the closed position but as soon as you start to open it, it starts to bind. Aside from the hinge issue and the way the frame fastens to the aluminum post, there really aren't any major issues in this modification. The fastening at the aluminum post is merely a matter of adding a small tab with a hole in it where it can be rivoted again which is what I'm going to do. I'll hilite this as I do it in my next installment.

Thanks to all for the comments as I know how these type of things have helped me up to now. Can't wait to see yours as well Ray! And I do so know what you mean. I got back from doing the welding today and started cutting before I had even taken any pictures of the parts to that point. Luckily I caught myself half way through cutting the aluminum post and got the picture I needed.

A.J.
Old September 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #8
VonHoffman
Forum Member

Great lookin' job AJ! One step closer to gettin' it on the road!
VonHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote