Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,397
Total Online: 613

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old January 30th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #1
NightScreams
Forum Member

Default Nightscreams..let the games begin!!

So here's my little intro thing. I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to join the mayhem. I'm from New Hampshire, have a lovely wife and two demonic offspring that have aged me WAY prematurely. I suspect it is the revenge of the grandparents but can't be sure. Like many others, I had a VW as my first car. It 'twas a '71 Super with a 1776 and baby Dells, baby blue with pinstriping and little tags on the fenders that said "LeBug" (yes, I'm dating myself with the whole Renault crap). Pretty retarded now, but when I was 18, I thought it was funny. Anyway, after selling it to my sister who let it rust away to nothing, I went on to muscle cars for awhile ('70 SS396, '71 Duster 340), then responsibility reared its ugly head with family and wife and stuff, bringing with it years of crap cars like Citations, Sunbirds, etc. About 4 years ago, I finally was back at a place where I could get what I wanted...another Bug. A year of searching and I found one in New England that wasn't rotted and still affordable. Ugly, yes, but a place to start.

I screwed around with it for a while, doing the usual crap like seatcovers and stuff. When I hacked up the glovebox door to put in a cd player....the purists started giving me the evil eye.

HEH. Never one to back down, I decided right then that RESTO was a 4 letter word. Ok, so it is a 5 letter word but you get me. My son sums it up pretty well.

Sick of vomit tan, I did my first driveway paintjob with some cheap ($29.99\gal at VIP) enamel. Came out not too bad overall but white sucks so it will not stay.

and learned that uncovered decklid vents helps you "detail" the engine too.

This car has a history of a small, poorly repaired hit on the front so eventually I figured it would need a new clip forward of the beam and decided a paint job would follow. I considered making a baja or something, you know, hack off the ends and have some fun. Then....I found Volksrods. And I'm hooked. Unfortunately, my state is militant about fenders on cars that originally had them...so ripping them off and doing the whole thing the way I originally wanted is out. Now, I'm thinking....VolksRodBaja. Kit it. Slam it. Drive it. That's my plan now. I have no garage and it is -6F today so it will be a few months before I start it, so I might change my mind, but right now, that is the plan. I'll update as I figure things out...and try not to be too much of a pain in the ass.
Project: The Freak

Are you good at something technical?
My RideSpace
Page

My little voices are having conversations with your imaginary friends and it is starting to piss me off.

Last edited by NightScreams; April 20th, 2007 at 08:20 AM.
NightScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #2
NightScreams
Forum Member

Default Re: An Intro of sorts

UPDATE:

So this weekend I got my beam adjusters from Chirco off ebay. No instructions whatsoever. At all. Nice. Thankfully there is a great tech post here on narrowing\lowering a beam so I'll use that as a guide. NOW I WANT THIS FRIGGING SNOW GONE, DAMNIT!!

Grrr.
I hate winter.
I hate not having a garage.
I should have Paris Hilton's lovechild and sue her for paternity.

My RideSpace
Page

My little voices are having conversations with your imaginary friends and it is starting to piss me off.
Old February 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #3
NightScreams
Forum Member

I'm soooo frigging happy!! I checked with the state and they now have on the SI books exemptions for "street rods"...in other words...I CAN NOW GO FENDERLESS!!

SWEET!

NOW I WANT THE GODDAMN SNOW TO GO AWAY.
Damnit.

My RideSpace
Page

Old March 24th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #4
NightScreams
Forum Member

Almost ready. The snow is pretty much gone, though expecting a few inches tonight. GRRRR. Hooked it up to my son's Eagle and pulled it onto the driveway and out of the mud. Nothing like a 4x4 car when you need one, couldn't have pulled it off with my truck cuz of lack of turnaround space, but that ol' AMC did the trick. Now just wait for the drive to dry a little more and some cooperative weather, then the work begins. Kinda disappointed, found out the "street rod" exemption is for pre'49 cars. Grrr. I'm going to try for an waiver, dunno if it will do any good but I have to try. If not, I'm still gonna rod it, just will have to think up something for fenderrettes.
Wish me luck.

My RideSpace
Page

Old April 20th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #5
NightScreams
Forum Member

Ok, so the snow is gone and after getting the kids on the bus this morning, it was almost 50F!!!!!!
Yes!!
Work has begun. While I'm still finalizing my ideas for the body, I figured I'd start the interior.

In the beginning...

So out came the seats...found this under the driver's seat, wedged in the springs...I guess that was that rattle I couldn't find last summer...

After that came up the mats and tarboards...found this lil' gem wrapped up in a health food store receipt from 1970...

After all that, I only found one hole in the pan, behind the driver's seat, from the leaking sunroof. I can deal with that, yessuh.

Tonight I'm off to buy a shopvac, then strip out the dash and seatbelts, etc. Got a nice little sandblaster to clean up the floors with. I'm thinking I'll fill the dash where the big holes are, then maybe try that crystal/paint thing. I have to figure out the headliner...it's shot. I'm working on the door panels, got a nice rough grey fabric to cover them. Not sure on the seats yet, but I know I won't be reusing the backseat vinyl...

Scored these off Freecycle...a pair of 12" Kickers.

My shifter...

I love this wheel, I just need to figure out something cool for the center cap

Ok, I'm now at work so the progress has stopped. Hopefully I will get some more done this weekend. I have some ideas for the body, gonna have to see what I can work out. I already have my adjusters for the front and the rear has been dropped 2 notches already.

I also have to work on this puppy....

And help my son get his Eagle ready for SI. I have to say, I'm kinda fond of this guy, something about a car that can give Jeeps a run for the money is just..well....FUN...

Thanks for reading...

My RideSpace
Page

Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:19 PM   #6
NightScreams
Forum Member

Well, didn't get a lot done this weekend, too much "other shit" to do, as my wife says. I worked in the yard most of it, but I did get to work on it a little. Stripped the bumpers off, steering wheel is now off, but I need to get a bigger socket to get the adapter off so I can replace the directional switch. Removed the knobs off the dash and generally sucked up all the crap. I'm not looking forward to removing the headliner so I'm procrastinating, maybe I'll get to it tonight or tomorrow. Maybe. I started the bumper/brush guard for the boy's Eagle, gonna look pretty badass i think. All the parts are cut out, have to weld it up in the next day or so. A bunkbed sacrificed itself for the project.

So i was doing some googling and found exactly what I was looking for, i just didn't know it at the time.

THIS is what I'm going to do, except lowered instead of lifted. I really didn't want a typical baja look and if I found a kit, i was going to modify it, but if I go this route, I won't even need the kit. So I had posted my parts here and on the Samba without much luck, I really didn't expect much anyway but I had to try. Looks like my "spare" parts list is going to shrink. I guess I'll sell the new fenders and running boards on Samba and use the rest for my project. Maybe I'll get enough to buy a decent exhaust system. I've got an idea for the seatcovers finally, but I'll wait a bit before revealing that, have to think it through a little more first.
Ok, work is almost over. The wife just called and is out there wetsanding the Mustang, so maybe I'll get to work on a car tonight too!! YAY.

My RideSpace
Page

Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:39 PM   #7
NightScreams
Forum Member

Oh yeh, and I think I've found my paint color.

Yup. Pink.

With some sort of flame job (I can hear the comments now about the "flamin' pink" car. Aww, fuckit. It'll be different.

I'm leaning towards a charcoal grey for the interior, I'm going to test it out on my wheels in the next couple of days, as soon as I can afford to go buy some blast media.

Ok, time to go home. YAY!

My RideSpace
Page

Old April 28th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #8
NightScreams
Forum Member

So, here is my '68.

Here's the tools of the day.

and

Mwahahahahahaha..

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!

I'm off to the driveway to piss off the purists. Wish me luck!!

My RideSpace
Page

Old April 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #9
NightScreams
Forum Member

So the fenders are off. Uggg, 40 years of dirt in my eyes.

Looks like the front wasn't the only thing that got hit. I guess hacking this thing up isn't such a bad idea after all.

I'm getting sick of finding these little bastards!

FIRST CUT!! No turning back now!!

Hmmm, where did this come from?

And it is DONE. Ok, not DONE, but on the way. Need to clean up the cut, clean up A LOT of shit.

This is going to need some cosmetic help. Definitely.

Ummmm. Yeah. Nice.

Ok, back out there and to work!

My RideSpace
Page

Last edited by NightScreams; May 24th, 2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #10
NightScreams
Forum Member

Ok, last update for the day, time to pick up and get ready for chow.

Here it is after scraping 40 year old undercoating off the fenderwells and mocking up the rear (front??) fenders. I think I'm gonna like this. Nice and wide and a better shape than the stock rears.

Am I coming or going????? Hahaha. Hmmm. New Beetle taillights in those headlight buckets?

NAHHHHHHH.

I think this is where I'll cut 'em. Maybe.

I also welded up the monza exhaust. Not my first choice, will have to see what I can horse trade for my left over parts over on Samba.

My RideSpace
Page

Old May 1st, 2007, 04:17 PM   #11
NightScreams
Forum Member

Tore out the old crappy headliner today. UGGGGGGGGGGG. What a shitty job, have moldy old fuzzy stuff in my hair, down my back, in my ears. This sucks.

My RideSpace
Page

Old May 24th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #12
NightScreams
Forum Member

Quick update. No work done but my exhaust solution is here!! I will post a pic later...but I FUCKING LOVE IT!!! It is an AWESOME header and stinger done in all frigging chrome. Got it from jmpowie in trade for my old rear fenders. He's a cool guy even if I wasn't home to meet him. I told him to just grab the fenders and I'd get the header from him in a week or so when I has some $$$, and instead, he left the header for and sent me an email telling me we are even. Wicked nice. He's an A+ guy. I have to get over to his place and check out the SuperRod. Anyway, THANKS JOHN!! And I hope to do some work on it this weekend. Son is graduating in a few weeks and still have a ton to do with the yard but we will see!

My RideSpace
Page

Old May 30th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #13
NightScreams
Forum Member

Ok, so here is the header/stinger I got. It has a regular muffler too, but I don't think I'll use that one, I really like the stinger. Haven't touched it in a few weeks, been getting ready for my son to graduate next week, tons of yard work to do. Hopefully things will settle down in a few weeks and I can get back to it.

My RideSpace
Page

Old July 8th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #14
NightScreams
Forum Member

It's been a while, been working on other stuff like painting the Mustang and getting the Eagle on the road. Today, I finally had a chance to get back to it. Pretty mundane but necessary work, I cleaned up the rust inside, cut out the bad spots on the pan and welded in new metal. Feels good to get some progress done finally. No pictures cuz they would be boring anyway.

Thoughts moving forward: seat covers and door panels made from old metal band tshirts or more basic seat covers and door panels made from old license plates. Not sure which yet.

Still a pile to do inside, tomorrow night will probably clean up the inside of the roof and dash area and get ready to fill some holes in the das

My RideSpace
Page

Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:00 AM   #15
NightScreams
Forum Member

Well, it's been a while since I've gotten any real time on it and finally, this weekend I did. The hole in the floor got patched. One of my neighbors is a collision repair shop (I refrain from using the term Body Shop since they only do collision repair) who are a great bunch of guys and let me pick through their discarded stuff. They replace tires on just about everything they work on so I get to paw through the tires, saves me a bunch for the Mustang since I go through back tires on that pretty fast Anyway, back on topic, this was the best use of a Civic hood I could come up with....patch my floor:)

While I was inside and before it got too hot, I stripped off the tar boards off the tunnel and started prepping the dash for filling and fixing.

Also unseen, I pulled the gas tank and almost all the wiring from the car except the main harness from the battery to the dash and the motor since I replaced that last year. I plan on rewiring the rest of the car clean with a pushbutton starter and some cool switches for accessories. I am going to use a modern fuse panel, I'm so fucking sick of electrical gremlins from 40 year old wiring!

I pulled the front fenders off and discovered why the bumpers never lined up right...this think has been tweaked.

Here it is after I ground down some of that old bondo. I thought it was just a sloppy job and dripped down but it wasn't. the top surface of the fenderwell is all bondo and brass.

This helps me decide if I'm going to cut the front or not. I wasn't going to, but looking at the hack job that was done on it, I might as well go all the way and cut the front and run fenderless in the front. I checked it out with the backs (fronts??) on it and no fronts...and I like the look. I think I'll do something to make the front to rear transition a bit smoother.

And I have no idea what this is, but I dug it up out of the yard and I like it. I'm gonna clean it up and use it as a front bumper.

I have a lot of grinding/sanding to do inside and I need to pull the windows next. I'll try to get to it this week if the weather holds. Doesn't look promising today but I have faith. Damnit.

My RideSpace
Page

Last edited by NightScreams; July 23rd, 2007 at 09:00 AM.