Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,774
Threads: 31,763
Total Online: 131

Newest Member: wildride3434

Latest Threads
- by Rokus

Old March 7th, 2004, 10:39 PM   #1
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Hello all, my official name is Justin R Beck. I usually go by Jay, Beck or the dayzwalker...you'll learn later. I have only been into the vw thing now for a couple years, but I have finally found my niche in the scene. I started out with a bay window bus that I put my electronic knowledge to use and installed a full dvd/satelite/gps system. My second creation started out as a 69 chopped ragtop bug. I bought it with the chop allready done, since I knew I don't have the sources as of yet to take on such a task. It has sit stagnent for a while now while I have tried to get inspired what to do with it. At first I was invisioning a full auto-x competitor and bad ass street car with full 2liter engine, IFS, carbon lids, race cockpit, etc. I batted around ideas of maybe doing a vintage drag car with fenderless spindles in the front. I finally decided one day to just start stripping it apart to see what I was in for. The fenders came off, and a seed was born. Roadsters have always been in my blood as I grew up working on rods with my father. I am now in the process of creating a technological marvel in a fenderless bug rod's body. The plan is to keep the look seemless and very simple yet detailed to the max. I like the idea of incorporating some new tech into the car and really makin it original. Ideas floating around in my head right now are fingerprint locks, smartkey technology, totally hidden audio/dvd system, rear view camera...all motorized doors and such. We'll see what actually comes of it all, but all I know for sure is that it will be one hell of a good time!!!

Here's how the car looked when I first bought it....

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

dayzwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #2
dayzwalker
Forum Member

since conception I have had some liberating afternoons with my sawzall and here is what has become of those stress relieving days...they are just rough cuts right now.

Build Day Link

Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:47 PM   #3
dayzwalker
Forum Member

got some new parts in from speedway motors and so cal speedshop. I'm going with model A tails because of the dual bulb system and I like the oval lines that the lense has to it. I also got in my chrome side mirrors. They were a bit pricey at $90 for both, but damn well worth it! My headlamps are King Bee sealed units. I went with the King Bee units instead of the Dietz style because I liked the epth that the king bees had. The Dietz's looked too short and stubby for the overall look I am trying to pull off. Its finally starting to come together! :D

Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:47 AM   #4
dayzwalker
Forum Member

quick photoshop...not anywhere near the final rendering, I was just bored

Old March 29th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #5
dayzwalker
Forum Member

damned wasps tried to setup a hive in my car! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img] I was out sanding it down and getting buzzed left and right by these damn wasps. I didn't think much of it since we get bees in our area all the time because of the overabundance of flowers everywhere. I then took off the ragtop and low and behold there was a small hive starting up right above my driver rear quarter panel window. It was only the size of a quarter right now, but give it a day or two and it will double in size. I made a trip to Home Depot and got me some nasty Raid to kill those fukers. Came home, sprayed it all over that hive, and surrounding areas. Now I'ma have to do some RAID cleanup since it got on pretty much everything back there. I sure as hell hope they're gone, or I'ma just charge in there and rip the damn thing out and fling it out in the street to get run over. Teach those damn wasps!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img]

Old March 30th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #6
dayzwalker
Forum Member

the hive turned out to be a hornets nest. Those fukers got blasted by my raid and are will no longer be bothering me! :D

I did some sketching and measurments of the rear quarter panel windows. Whoever did the chop on my car years back was obviously not a professional! The rear quarter panel windows come to an extreme point and need some smoothing out. So I mocked up a rough sketch of the size I want the window to become when/if I decide to go pilarless. I am quite limited to the lenght of the window if I go pilarless with a window that is able to roll down into the quarter panel. If I decide to just go with no windows then I can have it any damn length, but I'm not sure if I am ready to just give up on the windows that easily yet.

Old April 5th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #7
dayzwalker
Forum Member

I'm fooling around with some ideas in my head about going with an early ford front end. At first I wanted to make into more into a coupe deluxe style rod with a 37 or 40deluxe front grill. I like the sharp lines that it has at the top. I have since moved to more of a roadster image utilizing a 33-34 ford grill. If its swept back at an angle it will give it a nice racey look to the front. Here's a quick photoshop of what I'm thinking...

(added later on 4/22/05) After I had the front end all together and had it "painted" I did this photoshop of how I invisioned the grill to fit...probably will never happen now, but it was a fun thought [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

Old April 5th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #8
dayzwalker
Forum Member

got my wheels in!!! They are early 30's ford wire wheels. They measure 16x4. I am more than likely going with a 670-16 bias ply blackwall tire from coker tires. They will give me an overall rolling diameter of almost 30"! They are in fantastic condition and I got them for a killer of a deal...gotta love ebay!!! :D

Old April 10th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #9
dayzwalker
Forum Member

finally got some painting done. I've been sanding for weeks now just to get the top coat of white down. I spent a good long afternoon on the decklid alone. The car had a fire previously so the decklid was pretty bubbled over. I also made some more cuts with the all mighty sawzall. I still need to file down some high spots, but at least I got the final shape cut out. Its starting to finally come together!!!

Build Day Link

Old May 7th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #10
dayzwalker
Forum Member

got some more painting done on the driver side this past weekend...

Old May 7th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #11
dayzwalker
Forum Member

The rear end is almost done now. I got 90% of the rear end painted now. I just have some spots to finish up in the rear fenderwells. I decided to hold off on any major metalwork or bondojobs in the fenderwells and in the rear quarter window sections for right now. I'm getting an itch to get it on the road, and after it running around town, I'll then get to it.

The new exhaust system is in temporarily. It consists of J tubes to replace the heater boxes, bugpack header and chrome stinger exhaust. Once I run it around town for a month or so, the crappy coating will wear off and I'll paint it a high heat silver, or maybe black...haven't decided yet.

I got the rear tailight brackets all drilled out and decided where I wanted to place them. I ended up just using some basic 90degree wod joints found at home depot. Once they are painted flat black, noone will ever see them or know they only costed me 90cents!!! In the pic, they are just mounted up loosely, so they're slightly crooked, but I just wanted them there to get an idea of acomplishment. Its looking pretty damn good!!!! :D

Build day link

Old May 7th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #12
dayzwalker
Forum Member

going over to TAP Plastics today to get some new windows....2 rear quarter windows, rear window. I liked the dark tint when the car was white, but now that the car is flat black I need some contrast. I'm just going to get clear, maybe a slight tint, same sized lexan windows. Once the rear quarter windows are resized I will have to get new windows yet again, but I am hoping I will figure out all my complications of going pilarless by then, and I will be buying GLASS rear quarter windows that will be run by a power window sytem, but thats being very optimistic...we'll see.

Old May 8th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #13
dayzwalker
Forum Member

got my windows from TAP platics today and got them cut out. I was a little unsure of cutting them at first cause I've never cut acrylic before, but it wasn't bad at all. The jigsaw, with a fine 24tpi blade made quick and clean work of it. I can't belive they wanted anywhere from 60-90 dollars to cut them out at TAP [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img] They said labor is $1 per minute...damn I gotta get me a job there!!! :P I wanted to get a alight silver tint to the windows, but they didn't have anything to my liking so I decided to stick with the clear acrylic. They look blue, but thats just the protective film on them. It'll come off the day that they go in the car so that they don't get all scratched up in my messy ass shop!

Old May 8th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #14
dayzwalker
Forum Member

I got the gas tank all mounted up and in today. I had allready drilled out the mounting holes for the brackets, but the tank wasn't ready to go in yet. I was having some trouble getting the right fittings for the fuel line. When I was looking where to mount the tank I saw this convienent little notch in the body that would be perfect for the 1/4" fitting to run through at the bottom. That goodness I found that little notch/hole cause otherwise I was going to have to cut a hole into the passenger compartment and then back out through the front "firewall". Yeah for planning...and dumb luck! :P So, now the tank is in and all plumbed. Just need a couple hose clamps on the flex line and its ready for a fill up! :D

Old May 8th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #15
dayzwalker
Forum Member

heres that little notch that I'm talking about where the downspout fitting runs through.

edit...since the pic was taken the tank was taken out, everything was snugged up and it went back in. Fuel is now in it, and no leaks anywhere! :D

Old May 17th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #16
dayzwalker
Forum Member

I've been working like a madman this past week and getting TONS of work done. I haven't even had much time to update my intro page, so here's a little insight into what I've been doing...

I've been racking my brain for the past couple of weeks as to how to mount my headlights temporarily until I get my new front end in. After posting an idea of runing a piece of flat bar straight off the shock tower, I got some advice from bill, nick and others and decided I need to triangulate the mount and connect it to the body as well. Well, here is the thread where I was going over my dilemma and the end result of it all. It came out quite well, and I didn't even have to drill out any new holes in the body. I am using the stock fender bolt hole and the shock tower mount, so it comes off just as easy as it goes on...but don't tell a theif that!

http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5264

Old May 17th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #17
dayzwalker
Forum Member

I got alot of painting done also, the rear fenderwells are all done up and ready for the lights to be mounted and wired up. Here is the pass side all painted, I did the rear quarter panel at the same time...

Old May 17th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #18
dayzwalker
Forum Member

I went out this afternoon after class to tackle my wiring issues in hopes of starting the bad boy up and hearing it puuuuurrrrrrr. Well, after studying the wiring schematic in class, instead of my class work...I went home and tackled the mess of loose wires and sorted everything out. I still don't have any turn signals, but thats secondary to getting the thing started and running right. I put the key in, cranked it over and after cranking it 3 or 4 times it started right up! HELL YEAH!!!! :D Let me tell you, for not running for over 5 months and sitting dead cold, that thing ran like a beauty and sounded like a mean fuker with my new stinger on there! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img] Its got a deep and low rumble to it that just gets my blood bubbling! The carb still needs to be adjusted up as it dies on idle, but who cares right! It started up and purred like a ferocious cat!!! B)

Old May 18th, 2004, 01:05 AM   #19
dayzwalker
Forum Member

allright...its super fuckin late..or early... in the morning and I have spent that past couple of hours uploading most all of my progress pics from the first day it was in my driveway up until my latest headlight woes. I've kinda stalled work on my website lately, since I've been out in the garage so much. I figured I'd just upload all the pics for now. Enjoy!

http://img68.photobucket.com/albums/v207/dayzwalker/

Old June 10th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #20
dayzwalker
Forum Member

I haven't really been doing shit on the bug these past couple weeks. I've been working at my job alot, trying to save up for my front end. I'm almost there!!! I think I'll call up speedway and socalook this next week to make my orders, and then let the fun begin! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]

I also got the rest of my wire wheels in from back east. They were a little worse off then I had hoped, but I only need to use 2 of them since my other 2 are in great condition for being 70 years old! I also found a good wire wheel shop here locally that is going to take a look at all 6 of them and find the best 4 for me. I'm bringing them by the shop tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get them back sometime early next week so they can go straight to the powdercoater. I think I have finally decided on the final color choice...some sort of silver! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]

I also got my turn signals in. They are Harley bullet signals. I got 2 pairs from a harley dealer online. They are the real metal kind, not the cheap plastic crap you find on ebay these dayz. One pair has amber lenses and one pair has red lenses. Not sure which I'll use yet, but I like having choices!

Old June 12th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #21
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Well, I got home from a long day of work this saturday after having to deal with people complaining all day...gggrrrrr :angry:... to a package on my doorstep! I just love the UPS man! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img] I got my little stainless spikes in the mail! I just couldn't resist opeing them up and slapping a few on my car. I started with the hood trim holes and the 2 license plate holes on my W decklid. I was eyeballing the fender holes and I think they might look pretty good in there too..until they are shaved flush... I need to get some longer screws first though since the fender holes are about twice the lenght of the screws that came with the spikes. Off to Home Depot tonight! :P I like how small they are, and the sleek and subtle look they give to the car. They aren't the big and bulky ones that I've seen on other cars so far. You could easily miss them if you weren't specifically looking for them, exactly what I want! Its all in the details! :D

edit: I've come to my senses and gotten rid of the spikes since this update. Damn, sometimes I think someone's slipping me crack in my sleep [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]

Old June 21st, 2004, 10:59 PM   #22
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Big ups to Martin Smith of Socalook!!! A very upstanding guy in the vrod scene! I got his front crossmember kit in the mail today and I am beyond impressed. The beam and all of it components are top notch quality and look outstanding! It comes with a complete parts list for the front susp from speedway...with part #'s and all. A very complete kit! He even sent me his powdercoated beam that was to be installed on his vert. I am eagerly awaiting to put my order into speedway and get her on!

SOCALOOK

Old July 2nd, 2004, 07:40 PM   #23
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Well, I got my wheels back from my wire wheel guy this week. He really does some amazing work, just eyeballling the wheel while spinning at 2000rpm+ and looking for such minor imperfections. They then went out to Spray Tech for powdercoating today. I matched the silver that was allready applied to the crossmember, as close as possible without the color code in hand. After talking to Joe and his Dad for a while about all the colors/metallics/clears possible, we finally settled on 2 coats of Mercedes Silver with one coat of clear on top of that. The front axle assembly will get the same treatment once it is all in and we make sure everything fits right! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Old July 12th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #24
dayzwalker
Forum Member

well, I made a call over to Speedway again today and talked to the man himself, Jeff Calkins. He is the one who pushed to get the kit put together for the socalook front end. He was very helpful, and to make a long story short, I will have the UPS guy knocking on my door in 4-5 business dayz! :D I was a lil dissapointed with the lack of options I have for braking though. I have been considering trying to restore some old Buick drums because my only other option is to use some lightweight wilwood stuff. And we all know what wilwood equates too...$$$$$$$. Well, in the end I just gave in and said fuk it and order up the Wilwood black gold brakes. They are really lightweight and utilize a 4piston caliper on a 10 3/4" rotor...kinda overkill, but they will work nicely! Hopefully it will be here by Saturday so that I can get some assembly time in with Rob and we can mock it all up before it goes out to the powdercoater next week.

Old July 20th, 2004, 03:05 PM   #25
dayzwalker
Forum Member

My order from Speedway came in yesterday and I got up early this morning to start assembling the front end. I am very impressed with the the quality of all the parts! I love when you open a box that reads "for racing use only" :D I had to contain myself and not stay up all night assembling the entire thing!

Tommorow Rob is coming over and we're going to mock up the front with the socalook beam and see how everything fits. Right now I'm not 100% sure if I want to powdercoat the front end. With having to go with the wilwood brakes I am running VERY low on funds...so I might just spray the parts with some rattle can and call it done.

I went over to pick up my wires yesterday as well. They looked pretty good...shit they better be for what I had to pay! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]