Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,495
Threads: 32,237
Total Online: 490

Newest Member: syl023h2

Latest Threads
- by cretin
- by yimbo

Old June 28th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #1
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default 66 Shorty Intro.

Hey all!
I have been here a while reading alot of posts... I wanted to come in & introduce myself. My name is Steve, I Live in Rhode Island. I have a 66 "Shorty" Custom Bus my father built many many years ago & is in need of a Total restoration. I don't know if I will be able to do the work myself, but, I'm willing to try! I will have lots of Questions & hopefully I will get some work done on this Bus Soon!

These are ther pics of the way I aquired it from "Dad" It's been sitting for 15-20 years now & has rotted out ALOT! the only good thing is it's a Custom project & I don't need to use all Original parts to get this thing going. It's still in the same spot, All I have done so far is to get rid of all the tree debris & wood bed off the back & from under it. Almost the entire floor has rotted out from it. The Frame is still in good shape & the Engine & Trans still spins. Front Wheels are locked up, & Brake lines are n/g. I will need to replace a Crossmember, outrigger & jacking post. But, I may be able to fab or have someone fab up some supports other than getting original pieces. I'm still looking for a Straight axle Trans. to use in the Rear, & I want to lower the front by either making Dropped Spindles for it & using adjusters in the beam, or I will buy a set-up ready made with disk brakes. If I can find all the parts to do the work myself (with some help I hope to get) I will just build a new narrowed beam with adjusters, & try to figure out what I can do for Disk brakes...

Thanks for taking some time to come in & read my Into! Looking forward to posting with you all.

Steve X.

66 Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #2
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: 66 Shorty Intro.

WOW! I FINALY got Shorty Home! Took over a year to get the bus out of the parents backyard. I had to wait for land construction to be done & a new Septic system.

Now that that is all done I was able to get someone out there to move it. Nothing has been done to it since the begining. I did however find out that the Frame is totaly shot. I'm going to try using a shortened IRS down Beetle chassis under it. I would like to keep this Bus, even if I have to use a different chassis. There's no way that it would be able to be restored to original, so, I guess there's no "guide lines" I have to follow. When I was moving it the Torsion housing seemed to just go up into the bus while moving it around...

I have an idea of what I want it to look like when I'm done, but, I'm not sure on wheels. I do know that with a Beetle chassis I will be able to use wider wheels & tires in the rear, I want it pretty low to the ground, & I'll be making a new Wood Bed for the back. I have been throwing around the idea of chopping the top a bit as well. Still not sure if I'm going to do it yet though...

I'll take a few pics of it tomorrow & post them up.

Then I'll have to start .

Jack of all trades, Master of collecting projects.
(yeah the unfinished kind... )
"Bunny's Bug" Build thread
"The 66 Shorty" Build thread

Looking for "Buggy parts" for my Spatz Buggy (Budget build)...
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #3
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I just realised I haven't up-dated this thread in a while... There hasn't been much progress, but, I have been aquriring parts for the Shorty. I have to get a few pics up of what's going on with it, & some of the parts. But, this project is on the side while working on Bunny's Bug. There's plenty to do to both as some of you may know.

I'm pluggin along when I can, & when I'm not seeing my woman in the hospital... She's home for the time being, but, just till her pneumonia goes away & then she'll be back in for the original reason she went in the hospital in the first place... Kidney rejection! She's had 2 Kidney transplants & the first one rejected shortly after recieving it. Then she got the second one & it has lasted for 4-5 years so far, till now... It's started to reject 2 months ago, & she's been in & out ever since.. She's been out of work since as well, so, there's not a whole lot of income coming in... Only what I make. Which isn't a whole lot.

Anyway, I guess I'm done ranting & rambling... I've just been kind of stressed lately is all, & it feels good to write it down.

I'm tired now... I'm going to bed...

Old March 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #4
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Wel, I forgot to up-date this thread after we I had "66 Shorty Meet 2009"... <~~ That still makes me laugh!

Anyhow, I didn't take any before, or in procces pics liek I was told to... Sorry Guys!

But, I have a couple of after pics. Now, this is VERY Scary looking so, I don't know if you really wanna look... But, here they are, after we cut out the engine compartment, pull the motor, & took the bed rail/surround or whatever you wanna call it off.

Anyone want some Acorns?

To be honest with you, things were alot more solid than I thought they'd be! (gotta love all the body filler my pops used on this thing... )

Test fit of the '69 rear valance. Could make it work, but. still lookin for a '66-67 or whatever will actually fit correctly...

As it sits now...

From the back/inside the garage, with Bunny's Bug & Chassis in the pic...

Here's the motor... The rusty one... (in teh front) It doesn't have a cooler on the dog house. I guess it was before they added them. It's a single port motor that my Dad says ran Great! I didn't even try spinning it over yet. I don't need it as I have 2 other motors to pick from, BOTH are dual port motors. One (on the left) is a universal case, & the other (on the right) I believe is a '74 "califrnia polution control motor".

I still haven't figured out what I'm going to use for Wheels & tires yet... But, I have a while before I really need them I guess. I do know that I'll be able to fit some FAT tires on the back though!

Well, I'll start posting more in process pics in the future. Things have been going well with Bunny's Bug, so, I should be able to do some work on Shorty now & then, & I'll post progress pics. (Not that anyone cares about the Shorty though... )