Newest Member: jessup

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old June 12th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #101
Steve White
Forum Member

Default Re: 3 wheeled contraptions and discussion

yeah pretty much eh. That cage seems to not only offer much ease of entry/exit, bit it looks like it severely impedes the driver feild of vision. Must feel almost like your driving a torture device.

Don't argue with idiots, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Steve White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #102
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

That guy is a member of one of my Yahoo groups. It was quite the heartbreak for him when he had to totally re-do the front suspension when Washington DMV wouldn't allow the ATV front end. The ATV double A Arm set up looked really nice and was far lighter, but in reality the VW beam is working out better, it's just heavy as hell. I jave no clue how he gets into that thing, and He's building a streamlined enclosed body on top of it all.
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #103
mkparker
Forum Member

Looks to have a pretty big hole in the top to slide right in.

I like his "Flintstone reverse"!

The Bobster Trike is by Zeel Design

Kneeslider article

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #104
The Magicians Eye
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
That might be their stated reason but I'm not sure that what stopped them. The T-Rex is the same concept and its faster 0-60, has a higher top end, pulled higher G's in the corners and stops better. Not much point in VW entering into a very limited market that already has a dominent player whose current models exceed their best prototype in every way.

I'd give my left nut for a t-rex. It's not vw but its a friggin cool ride.
The T-Rex is a $40,000 trike. On top of that they don't make them anymore. Rumor has it they sold the company and someone new might be putting them back into production next year. That VW was said to be sold at $17,000. I think VW would have sold them with out any issues from T-Rex. Here is one of the biggest problems with trikes. T-Rex owners are currently having issue finding insurance. Many are being shut down completely. A few are being WAY over charged ($6000 a year with a good driving record). On top of that the VW is open to the elements and I'm sure was shut down based on insurance companies saying that they are dangerous. Remember the stigma ATC's carry. Why would a major company like VW take that risk?
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #105
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

You've obviously got waaay longer legs and a way smaller gut than I do to slide into that!

I'm sure it's probably easier than it looks though. Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out people's ideas on triangulation and frame design. I know in his case the round hoops were dictated by his intended body design. It's also kind of a shame he painted it Yellow. It looked way better bare steel IMHO. I would have shot that with clear and been done.
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #106
The Magicians Eye
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkparker View Post
A new one. Icky rear lights.

More info here.
This is most likely the coolest and safest trike so far. All they did was take a race car and slap a motorcycle engine and trailing arm on it. It's a pretty cool idea when you think about it.
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #107
The Magicians Eye
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguts View Post
NEWS FLASH ..... Man unable to be removed after being welded into roll cage of his car .....
Am I the only one that sees the door on it?
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #108
hal
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magicians Eye View Post
Am I the only one that sees the door on it?

yep
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #109
The Magicians Eye
Forum Member

Look very closely at the raw metal frame on the side. It's a frame inside of a frame.
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #110
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Yes, but, the yellow bar that goes from front to back is welded to the entire cage... So, you'd still have to slip in through a hole as if it were a window... Not easy to do if your a "Fatty"...

I just don't like how it doesn't have reverse...

Jack of all trades, Master of collecting projects.
(yeah the unfinished kind... )
"Bunny's Bug" Build thread
"The 66 Shorty" Build thread

Looking for "Buggy parts" for my Spatz Buggy (Budget build)...
66 Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #111
The Magicians Eye
Forum Member

Looks to me like he added the door later. That yellow bar was cut off the frame and welded to the door. Look at the ends of it. The paint has been taken off where it's welded.
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #112
mkparker
Forum Member

I guess that's why you have the "Magicians Eye" Rafael!! Good call!

Big pic warning!

I'm not too wild about the yellow either, but riding around at 5" off the ground I would want people to see me pretty well!

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #113
The Magicians Eye
Forum Member

I'm not sure if your picture is showing up for anyone else but it's not showing up for me. So here is a cropped down image of the door. Thanks for the link.

Old June 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #114
BullDog
Forum Member

Volksrod Trike?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ntvwad2.jpg (27.6 KB, 47 views)
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #115
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
The T-Rex is a $40,000 trike. On top of that they don't make them anymore. Rumor has it they sold the company and someone new might be putting them back into production next year. That VW was said to be sold at $17,000. I think VW would have sold them with out any issues from T-Rex. Here is one of the biggest problems with trikes. T-Rex owners are currently having issue finding insurance. Many are being shut down completely. A few are being WAY over charged ($6000 a year with a good driving record). On top of that the VW is open to the elements and I'm sure was shut down based on insurance companies saying that they are dangerous. Remember the stigma ATC's carry. Why would a major company like VW take that risk?
Campagna and Cirbin motors merged and T-Rex production is slated to resume this summer. $40,000? Maybe for a used one. I used to stop into the T-Rex dealer in Baltimore every so often and I've never seen one under $50K.

http://trexofamerica.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1579

check this one out:

Old June 12th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #116
The Magicians Eye
Forum Member

I like the fenders on that body kit but that's about it. It's way to busy. Ether way the T-Rex isn't worth the money they asking for them.
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #117
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
This is most likely the coolest and safest trike so far. All they did was take a race car and slap a motorcycle engine and trailing arm on it. It's a pretty cool idea when you think about it.

Pretty much what the Indycycle and SportCycle were. Just aswith anything unique or out of the ordinary, Insurance was a night mare.

Old June 12th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #118
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
I like the fenders on that body kit but that's about it. It's way to busy. Ether way the T-Rex isn't worth the money they asking for them.
there's always the kit way:

http://www.g2cycles.com/

I've read there were some handling issues with the GT2 but a revised version has fixed that.

I've also seen these guys selling another Trex Clone
at Carlisile:

http://reversetrike.com/veloss.html

Old June 13th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #119
Steve White
Forum Member

Quote:
so you know of some other vehicle for under $50K that will pull over 1.3 g's in a corner and do 0-60 in +/- 4 seconds? Do you know of a vehicle under $100K that can? Based on performance the T-Rex is one of the best deals out there and older T-Rexs can be had in the $30K range.

None of the other trikes I've seen can do over a G in a corner. Doing over a G in a corner is a big assed deal and doing over 1.3 is astounding for a street vehicle.

In the performance world the z06 vette is probably the next best bang for your buck at $96K at 0-60 +/- 4 sec and 1.04 G's in a corner.

I've personally checked out one that was listed on the dealers lot for $29,900 asking price. While I was sitting in it a run of the mill Ford 3/4 ton pulled up next to me and I had to smile when I realized I was sitting so low that I could see his driveshaft.

Of course insurance is expensive for it. Why wouldn't it be? Its a street legal purpose built race car that is capable of eating most new Ferrari's, Porches or Lambo's for lunch and thats before you start modding and tuning it.

And that is the final thing in its favour. Unlike the mega dollar cars it can trash on the track or street it is very modifiable for performance. It cost $6K for a tune up a Ferrari. That same 6K spend on a Rex will get you down to a 3.6 sec 0-60 time.

Obviously I'm a fan but it because the Rex can walk a walk that very very few have ever attempted.

Don't argue with idiots, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Steve White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #120
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
so you know of some other vehicle for under $50K that will pull over 1.3 g's in a corner and do 0-60 in +/- 4 seconds? Do you know of a vehicle under $100K that can? Based on performance the T-Rex is one of the best deals out there and older T-Rexs can be had in the $30K range.

None of the other trikes I've seen can do over a G in a corner. Doing over a G in a corner is a big assed deal and doing over 1.3 is astounding for a street vehicle.

In the performance world the z06 vette is probably the next best bang for your buck at $96K at 0-60 +/- 4 sec and 1.04 G's in a corner.

I've personally checked out one that was listed on the dealers lot for $29,900 asking price. While I was sitting in it a run of the mill Ford 3/4 ton pulled up next to me and I had to smile when I realized I was sitting so low that I could see his driveshaft.

Of course insurance is expensive for it. Why wouldn't it be? Its a street legal purpose built race car that is capable of eating most new Ferrari's, Porches or Lambo's for lunch and thats before you start modding and tuning it.

And that is the final thing in its favour. Unlike the mega dollar cars it can trash on the track or street it is very modifiable for performance. It cost $6K for a tune up a Ferrari. That same 6K spend on a Rex will get you down to a 3.6 sec 0-60 time.

Obviously I'm a fan but it because the Rex can walk a walk that very very few have ever attempted.
I've had a jones for a T-Rex since the first time I laid eyes on one. hopefully they will succeed in going back into production which may keep the price on used ones down.

I've seen a turbocharged Hyabusa conversion in one with a shot of nitrous. At that point, it was actually way too much power to put down, even with a 315 tire back there. IIRC he was dynoing like 450hp b4 the nitrous shot. That's F1 power to weight type ratios.

I screwed around with a sand rail frame and a sportbike a few years ago but never got it finished. What I want to do is build a custom tube frame for a fire Aero body to make it more like a T-Rex performance wise. Gravguy??
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #121
The Magicians Eye
Forum Member

The reason I say it's not worth the money is because I've seen one naked (no body). I'm also around $12,000 motorcycle driven race cars all the time at the dirt track. Let me tell you that there isn't much of a difference between build qualities and or the amount of effort put into their designs. The cost of building the T-Rex shouldn't be much more than one of these full blown race cars. I'm a fan of the T-Rex but I still don't think it's worth the money. The cars you would compare the T-Rex to have so much more to offer than just performance. Most have had an unreal amount of time and money put into their designs. I hate to say it but after looking at the T-Rex with no body on it, I can't justify paying that much money for one. I think the company would have done much better if they could have sold them in the $20,000 - $25,000 range.

This is a brand new turn key ready to race car $12,000.

Here are a couple others cars in that same price range.

Ok so yes I realize these cars are smaller than the T-Rex but even if you doubled the cost they still wouldn't cost no were even close to a T-Rex. Let me tell you what. If you set any of these up to run on the street and put the same engine as what you would have in a T-Rex they would hand a T-Rex it's ass. These cars might be smaller than a T-Rex but you have to keep in mind they are build for safety and performance. I'm not 100% sure how much a T-Rex weighs but I know these come in at around 750 - 900 pounds with the driver. If you compare pounds per dollar the T-Rex is still way over priced.

Last edited by The Magicians Eye; June 13th, 2008 at 07:49 AM.
The Magicians Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #122
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
The reason I say it's not worth the money is because I've seen one naked (no body). I'm also around $12,000 motorcycle driven race cars all the time at the dirt track. Let me tell you that there isn't much of a difference between build qualities and or the amount of effort put into their designs. The cost of building the T-Rex shouldn't be much more than one of these full blown race cars. I'm a fan of the T-Rex but I still don't think it's worth the money. The cars you would compare the T-Rex to have so much more to offer than just performance. Most have had an unreal amount of time and money put into their designs. I hate to say it but after looking at the T-Rex with no body on it, I can't justify paying that much money for one. I think the company would have done much better if they could have sold them in the $20,000 - $25,000 range.

OK, yes I realize these cars are smaller than the T-Rex but even if you doubled the cost they still wouldn't cost no were even close to a T-Rex. Let me tell you what. If you set any of these up to run on the street they would hand a T-Rex it's ass.
I go to see the 600cc microsprints all the time. They fucking ROCK! I agree that they are somewhat over priced for what's actually in there, but you have to do the whole business model thing. Hoe much engineering went into their reverse gearbox? Even if they were making some huge profit on each unit, apparently strong business skills wasn't the owner's forte'..

Do you you think either of the clone kits are worth $20K with no drive train at all and a few cloned body panels??? Especially when you figure you can buy a Berrien warrior frame for $300 bucks? We all know hte level of performance equates with the cubic dollars one spends. The rep from DD Cobra that manufacture the veloss clone told me to my face they copied the T-rex exactly from a T-Rex. as Campagna never even applied for any sort of copyright or IP rights protection. I've seen way more substantial chassis and suspensions, and probably more durable. They also have a a history of problems with rear wheel bearing wear and heim joint wear in the front suspension. I think the rear bearings wear out in like 3-4 thousand miles.

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0; June 13th, 2008 at 08:41 AM.
HeidelbergJohn4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #123
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Quote:
. . . Let me tell you what. If you set any of these up to run on the street and put the same engine as what you would have in a T-Rex they would hand a T-Rex it's ass. These cars . . . .[/COLOR]
You may have missed the point of this thread - it's about 3 wheeled contraptions.

Which wheel would you delete from the car you like before you compare it to the T-Rex?
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #124
The Magicians Eye
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidelbergJohn4.0 View Post
I go to see the 600cc microsprints all the time. They fucking ROCK! I agree that they are somewhat over priced for what's actually in there, but you have to do the whole business model thing. Hoe much engineering went into their reverse gearbox? Even if they were making some huge profit on each unit, apparently strong business skills wasn't the owner's forte'..

Do you you think either of the clone kits are worth $20K with no drive train at all and a few cloned body panels??? Especially when you figure you can buy a Berrien warrior frame for $300 bucks? We all know hte level of performance equates with the cubic dollars one spends. The rep from DD Cobra that manufacture the veloss clone told me to my face they copied the T-rex exactly from a T-Rex. as Campagna never even applied for any sort of copyright or IP rights protection
Yes I do think the clones are over priced too. However they do show how much the T-Rex is over priced. How could assembly and an engine cost you $30,000? The clone kits still bring a profit at $20,000 so how much of a profit do you think the T-Rex brings in?

How much engineering did go into their reverse gearbox? I wouldn't think a whole hell of allot. I'd have to see one to give my thoughts on it but my guess is that it's not to far off from an already created design. Ether way the reverse gearbox would have to be flaw proof to justify that price tag. And yes the reverse gearbox has it's fair share of problems from what I've read from T-Rex owners.

Edit: By the way thanks for posing the picture of the T-Rex with the nose off. Now maybe some of the fans will see what I mean by over priced. The T-Rex is about as refined as a shifter kart but yet they want you to pay top dollar. I say no thanks. I'll spend far less and build my own if I really want one.

Last edited by The Magicians Eye; June 13th, 2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #125
The Magicians Eye
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcentric View Post
You may have missed the point of this thread - it's about 3 wheeled contraptions.

Which wheel would you delete from the car you like before you compare it to the T-Rex?
I was trying to proove a point on the T-Rex being over priced. Sorry if you missed my point. Pictures always help people that have never seed what I'm talking about.

By the way i'd remove the left front given that it's useless on a dirt track anyway.

Last edited by The Magicians Eye; June 13th, 2008 at 10:01 AM.

Tags
3 wheelers, trikes