Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,397
Total Online: 601

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old May 7th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #1
rory
Forum Member

Default rory - New Member Intro

So I'm a long-time viewer, but just joined your ranks. When I was building up my first Volksrod I got much inspiration and many ideas for my build.

The first Volksrod I built was the '58 Omega Speed Shop Rat Roadster. Many of you may have seen it, heard of it, or what not. And, many have probably torn it apart. I'm not worried - if I was I wouldn't have built it. If I was worried about what other people think I'd be building a early 60s car with polished Empi 5s, a narrowed beam, a big 2 liter, etc. I'm sure many of you share that sentiment.

But, instead I built the OSS Rat Roadster.

A hell of a build. Suicide link pin beam, Rabbit rack/pinion, 4.86 in the "Pro Sand" tranny, and a little 1776. I took a decent '58 original ragtop body that had a bad dent in the roof and started on a chop top. I decided I wanted a convertible instead, so before I put the roof back on I sold it off too help finance sheet metal and welding wire. A spare hood someone left at my garage (a small shop I share with a friend) ended up at the rear end. Hand-formed cowl, reshaped dash (I stood on the lower piece to drop it down), some over-the-knee formed speed humps and I started to have the look I was after. Not sure on the future plans for this car, but it's losing it's engine to my current build, a '60 ragtop looker so the Roadster will be out of commission for a while.

Yes, I'm currently building a Cal-Look Resto Mod. I'll get some pictures of that going soon enough. This one's to be an extremely nice driver. No show car or trailer queen, but a drive it til it breaks - and then rebuild it better kind of car. A '60 original ragtop car, full body off resto - my first true attempt at a "show pan", 4" narrowed beam, 4-wheel discs, 17" BRMs, etc. Motivation is a built-to-shit 1776 with lots of head work, cam, 44 Italian Webers, etc. It's a solid engine that's been in every VW I've owned, in one for or another. It's backed by a "Pro Street" tranny from Rancho.

Interior was stitched up by Sewfine, and I'll be installing that soon. I did the body work (my first attempt at using filler), paint (again, my first attempt), and everything else. The only outsourcing is to be the stitching of the interior, which is a one-off custom design.

It is being built for my wedding - my fiance will be driving away in it this June, the summer solstice.

Anyway, I was inspired to come to these forums as I'm itching to start my next build. Last summer, after complete the OSS Rat Roadster I started working on a chop top '68. Cut about 8" out of it and set the roof back down. Grafted it's ragtop section back in, and then finished stripping it. I then put it on ice to begine the Wedding Car build.

Here's the chop:

So, the chop top was supposed to be a drag car project. You can see my buddy's wedge chop race car in the background in a few of those. I wanted it to be lower (in overall height) than his. The result was that with the car on jack stands and about a foot of clearance under the car mine still has a lower over all height.

Unfortunately, the realization that I would never be able to afford the proper power package for it lead me to consider a lead-sled inspired car. Now, I', thinking of going fenderless again, with another suicide front beam and rack/pinion set up.

I haven't touched the car since September. This amount of work took me a couple of weekends. I came up with the idea of making the roof have more of a coupe shape, and after seeing Markh's coupe, I think I have no choice to proceed - that's a bad ass car.

Anyway, Thank you all - all of my predecessors gave me much inspiration many ideas during the build of the Roadster, and you continue to do so. I'll keep you all posted. The chop top should be a hell of a build.

Oh yeah, I know my welds suck. I'm using a Lincoln Weld-Pack 100, with 35 flux-core wire. I'll add gas to it one day, but for now my grinder gets a hell of a work out - burned up two Dewalt grinders on the Roadster.

Last edited by rory; May 7th, 2008 at 09:46 PM.
rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #2
rory
Forum Member

Default Re: rory - New Member Intro

Oh I got five Gold Stars already! Thanks guys.

I don't think I got five gold stars in school. Total.

Thanks again.

By the way, I've been meaning to register for over a year, just never got off my lazy ass. I've been out of the Volksrod mode since starting the '60 rag, now I'm super motivated to finish the '60 so I can start cutting, welding, and eventually snapping necks and pissing off purists again. This whole restoration-type stuff is too boring, even if it is still a custom.

Too much "where does this seal go?" and "how do I install a multi-piece headliner?" I need to get back to "how much should I cut?" and "I wonder how it would look if I moved this here?"
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #3
rory
Forum Member

So I mentioned above that I'm currently building "The Wedding Car". I just started reassembly after about four-five months of body work, followed by about a month of trying to get some paint on it. I'm way under skilled in that department, but I've learned a hell of a lot.

The Wedding Car started as a bare '60 original ragtop shell and original pan. Both were in incredible condition. I had to fab and weld in a 1x4" patch into the lower right rear quarter panel, and some patch panels into the rear fender wells at the rear apron. That's all that was needed to replace the rust.

Unlike my Roadster build last year I took basically zero pictures during this entire build. I don't even have any "before" pictures. But, below I'll add some of it's current stage - at least as of Saturday. It now has all of it's exterior trim, headlights, and hood trim. Headliner goes in this weekend, windows next week, carpet next weekend, and so on.

So here we go. Fresh paint (not the best job), some trim installed:

Old May 7th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #4
rory
Forum Member

The build specs are:

1960 original ragtop shell
- Body work as straight as I could get it. Several coats of high build 2k primer (Metal Ready brand), with added reducer for a couple sealer coats. (My first attempt at "finish" body work - I've never before spread filler.)
- Single stage spray job with Valspar intermix - a spin off of Ford Estate Green. (My first attempt at a "real" paint job - one that didn't include any rattle cans.)
- Hammered 4-tab hood - did what I could
- Hammered original rear fenders - did what I could - shaved bumper bracket holes
- Austrian aftermarket front fenders, shaved horn grills
- Aftermarket front apron, shaved bumper holes and bumper brackets
- Aftermarket rear apron, shaved bumper brackets
- Original decklid, popes nose, snowflakes (glass lenses)

Original pan, with solid original floors.
- Pan was fully cleaned, wire brushed, treated, cleaned, and coated in POR-15
- Jack mounts removed
- Frame head heavily cleaned up/shaved for appearance as well as ground clearance.
- Fresh solid fuel lines (two - for future EFI intentions) with -6 bungs welded on the ends, welded to the tunnel, and shaved original fuel line

Front Suspension/Brakes
- 4" narrowed beam
- CB dropped disc spindles
- Ghia calipers
- Rotors from So Cal drilled in the 5x100 pattern
- Summit Racing Line Lock
- Stainless steel brake lines
- Screw-in wheel studs
- Not sure on shocks yet

Rear Suspension/Transmission
- Rancho Pro Street tranny. Stock gears, 4.12 ring & pinion. Super Diff, welded 3rd and 4th, etc.
- Bugpack Kafer/Truss bar
- CB limiting straps
- KYB Gas-A-Just shocks
- 28mm torsion bars
- CB Roto-Hub disc kit
- Rotors from So Cal drilled in the 5x100 pattern
- Stainless steel brake lines
- Screw-in wheel studs
- 5mm wheel spacers

Wheels/Tires
- 17x7" Flat 4 New Beetle BRMs
- 225/45zr17 rear tires (Yokohama - came with the wheels)
- 205/40hr17 front tires (Fusion HRi)

Engine
- 1776, counterweighted VW crank, Cima/Mahle P&Cs
- Lightened flywheel, 8-dowel
- 041 heads, heavily ported and polished, 40x37.5 valves, single heavy springs, turbo prepped
- CB Eagle 2242 turbo cam
- CB Magnum straight cut cam gears
- CB In/Out oil pump/cover
- VW of Mexico crap "Sport" muffler - wanted to use the stock pea shooter holes
- 009 with Compufire DIS-IX
- Italian Weber 44s, Scat linkage

Complete interior package from Sewfine
- Cream/Off White seat covers with Chocolate brown piping.
- Cream door panels in the Oval pattern, Chocolate bottom panel, Chocolate piping where the trim is supposed to be.
- Chocolate carpet.
- Matching Cream headliner

A few other things:
- Cheapo ebay projector headlights - actually work pretty well, with cheapo Empi "gold" bulbs
- Carpeted trunk
- Flat-4 Banjo wheel (had to spoil myself - wanted one for years)
- Pristine ragtop assembly with original fabric connecting straps (never seen another assembly with the straps intact)
- Ice pick doors from the Roadster
- Oval rear view mirror/sunvisors
- Empi aluminum Vintage style (flat black/polished edge) running boards

Considering I had the engine, tranny, and brakes, I'm into the car another $5-6k with interior and paint. The body/pan was nearly free - the guy thought it was only good for the ragtop section (Who told him that? I'm sure it wasn't me). The interior and wheels killed my budget - but the expense will be more than worth it.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #5
rory
Forum Member

So I made some progress with the Wedding Car. I'll start a new thread in the Cutting Board so you guys can tear it apart, but here's some pics I took after work (the "paying" job). Taking a day off - I have a long weekend ahead of me.

I'll be missing BOR Sac this weekend so I can pull the motor, paint it up, and reassemble for this car. Lots of new bits I have to figure out on the engine, tune it on the stand, and weasel it into this car.

More to come. She's looking good. But my deadline (June 21) is coming quick.

Support your local V-Rodder! http://www.RenoStickerShop.com
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM   #6
rory
Forum Member

Just found this on Nick's site - one of the random images - thought it was a sweet shot of the Roadster - and me in it. Awesome pic from the line to pull into Irvine VW Classic '08 - pics at top were from that year's Freak Show too.

Old July 9th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #7
rory
Forum Member

So the Wedding Car's done. Didn't make the wedding due to a few bugs, but it's about there. Some fine tuning left. I'll get some pictures up soon. We got a digital video camera for the wedding that takes shit for pictures, and my old digital camera's dead. Time for a new one I guess.

Anyway, The OSS Rat Roadster is for sale. PM if interested.

The Wedding Car is for sale. It's going to be money though, that's where the market is. PM if interested.

Cutting up and selling off the parts from the Blue Car (Chop Top). Check the Shit for Sale thread for what's available. PM if interested.

Spring cleaning. More like Summer clearing. Gotta unload to pay off some bills and get something that both myself and my wife would enjoy.

If you have a '05 or there-abouts 599/636 sport bike and want a slightly modified volksrod, let me know.

Old July 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #8
rory
Forum Member

I guess I've neglected to update in a while.

At least with pictures

I still have to re-polish it because the Meguire's polish left a nasty white haze on it - only appeared a few days after it was polished. It's nearly done though. I have driven it but it keeps giving me fits - I think we've narrowed it down to a flat battery. Way to go Optima!

Nevermind on the pictures. Thesamba won't let me upload them. Maybe in a bit?

Old July 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #9
rory
Forum Member

Damn she was dirty when I took these pics...

Old July 16th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #10
rory
Forum Member

She's settled about an inch in front and back since these pics. Tucking 17s now. Rim to fender edge up front, no top of tire out back.