Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,682
Threads: 31,657
Total Online: 73

Newest Member: Momotaj-Akter

Latest Threads
- by OKpig
- by JiI

Old September 27th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #1
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default "Bunny's Bug"

OK guys & Gals... I was looking for IRS parts to get the Bus up & running... I posted on Craigslist looking for parts cars. This one E-mail I recieved seemed promising. This guy E-mails me telling me he has a '74 Bug with a New Mexican Moter & Re-built Trans. So, I bite 7 go take a look... Well I took My Kidz & My Fiancee (Kristy aka: Bunny) with me to see it. Bunny tells me she wants the Bug for her Very own! I'm kinda in Awe here! I was like Bunny, you really want to keep this one for yourself?!?! She says Yes, it's the same year as her birth date (1974). So, me being a sucker for my Bunny I tell her OK! We didn't hear it run, so I was banking on the fact it does run... The drivers side is pretty solid & the door opens & closes perfectly! The Passengers side is a diferent story though. It's rotted in the usual places for a bug. Well, I'm still looking for a better body for this one. But, it'll do for now.

I spent 1/2 a day vacuuming the engine compartment out of all the pine needles, Then I started pulling the plugs, squirting in some Marvel Mistery Oil, cranking the motor over, hoooking up a temporary gas can, adding a battery, trying to charge the battery... Come to find out I had NO SPARK!

Here are some pics of it after I did some stuff...

I put them in Photobucket...

I have to figure out how to make it not private & my family is Yelling at me right now... I'll post it later!

Jack of all trades, Master of collecting projects.
(yeah the unfinished kind... )
"Bunny's Bug" Build thread
"The 66 Shorty" Build thread

Looking for "Buggy parts" for my Spatz Buggy (Budget build)...
66 Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #2
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: "Bunny's Bug"

Here it is, all packed in my garage. It was raining when I brought it in & the floor is still wet from walking all around it, in & out...

With the Gas can hooked up, as an IV...

The Engine... Needs some clean up...

Nice Air Filter! Custom?

I need to get a new Spare Tire well...

This area will need some attention as well...

VERY Hideous!!!

Has some sort of "Turbo 3000" fan in the heater line.

Needs some attention...

Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:22 AM   #3
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Not a whole lot of progress. I pulled the seats & door panels off. Sprayed down all the mechanicals with some White Lithium Grease. Squirted some Mystery Oil in the Hinges...

Found out that My girl wants the Bug to be "Electric" or "Ice Blue", like this Mini...

Old November 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #4
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Got some more done on the Bug. Pulled the rest of the interrior, gas tank, Rear Bumper, Fenders, deck lid, distributor, fuel pump, carb., wires, unhooked everything in preperation to pull the motor... I even tryed pulling the motor... That didn't happen. Looks like I'm going to have to pull the exhaust to get the motor out. It's got a "Monza" style exhaust. Seems as though I can't pull the motor back far enough to get it off the shaft. Plus, I'd really rather have someone here with me when I pull it. <~~ I know, you're thinkin' "what a sissy!" aren't you? Anyway, I found some more ROTT in the fender wells. I'm gonna have to replace the pass. floor as well. It's too far gone to just patch. There has to be at least 4-5 patches in it now! I did take some pics, but, the camera is in my truck & Bunny, has my truck. I'll add pics later! Plus, now I'm parting out a '66 Deluxe Bus... I don't know what's worth what... But, I'll get some advise from some people that know what they are worth. Plus, I'm looking at the Samba to help with figuring. I'm broke & I need the cash to put into the projects. I found a Gas heater in the Shed. I don't know if it works, but, if anyone needs one shoot me a PM!

Old November 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #5
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Pics!!!

Drivers Floor

Pass. Floor, note all the patches...

Pass. Heater Channel

Drivers Heater Channel, it looks to be in pretty good shape...

Drivers Bottom Rear Quarter, needs some help. Pass. is SO FAR GONE!!!

Here's under the Gas Tank. I found a Bent Tie Rod... Plus, some leaky brake reservoir hoses. Frame Head seems solid, just a bit rusty, but, aren't they all? I wanna replace the streering stabilizer as well, & Master Series this entire area. Maybe even use a Bedliner coating in here? Any thoughts?

Last edited by 66 Shorty; November 11th, 2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added a pic & description...
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #6
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Small up-date...

Got the drivers side quarter (from a fellow Volksrodder Whitelightning), under the moon vent welded in by TC & one of his Buddies from Mass. They said they'd come back & do the other side for me. But, I'm also looking into getting a welder with my taxes. I have welded before, but, haven't done it in probably 10 years. I guess I would have to mess around with it to get the feel for it to get back into it. All in all, it came out pretty nice I think. Everything lines up nicely.

Old March 17th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #7
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Not a whole lot-o-progress, but, there is some... (no pics though ) As most of you know I bought a welder, so, I have been taking time with using that. Plus, life gets in the way too much... But, I'm pluggin along, gathering parts & such. The car is pretty much totaly striped down to an empty shell. Bunny saw it & asked what the hell am I doing... She asked where all her fenders are & why it looks like a Skelleton. I told her I was making it into a Volksrod & she Flew off the handle! As you may know this is HER CAR now, & she wants it to be a nice stock looking daily driver. She said she doesn't want it "some ugly flat color without fenders". She wants it to have a nice metallic paint job. Sure I said, you can do the body work then... But, what Bunny wants, Bunny gets... So, I will have to get some good body work done on it & see if I can get a great paint job out of ___ I don't know how much it will cost, but, I hope it won't be too much for me to afford! Maybe I can trade off some work? She asked me if we could bring it to Maaco & get a cheap job done, I said I don't think they will take the empty shell & do a correct job for us... Besides, from what I've seen, they don't doa great job anyhow.

Some of the things I need have been taken care of...

Tim from 401 Resto hooked me up with a Pass. side heater channel, Dave (Fishguts) Hooked me up with some Bits & pieces for the Bug as well, TC hooked me up with a Tie Rod, seeing mine is bent. Jim W is hookin me up with a floor pan for the pass. side this weekend (plus, hopefully a few other bits & pieces I need for both projects). I removed all the bolts but the 4 in the front of the body where it meets the firewall (They are tight as a MoFo!). Now I need to get some wood for stands & get a couple guys to come by & pull the body off the pan. I'm sure I have to re-inforce the body in some places... I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing... The rot on the pass side is so bad that the door doesn't operate properly. I'm guessing I have to try "pulling" the body back together on the bottom in that area, then weld in a brace of some sort. Originally I wasn't going to pull the body, but, to do the job right I think I really have to. I already have a new body/pan gasket, so, I don't see why I couldn't/shouldn't do it!

Anyhow, a BIG THANKS goes out to all that have supplied me with parts & info on what I'm doing. The people here are Awesome!

Later,
Steve X.
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:56 AM   #8
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Had a couple Volksrodders (TC, Fishguts, & Lunatic) come by Yesterday & pulled the Body off the pan. I'll post some pics later. Pickin up the Floor pan this AM after I get outa work. Hopefully I'll get out there to cut the old pan off & start preppin' it for the install of the new one. Then later this week I have plans to clean up what's there & possibly paint it, if the weather's warm enough. Still have to pick up some paint & seam sealer. Bunny's not interested in looking at the Bug with the body off the pan. She totaly ignored it when she came out after we were done pullin it off.

Thanks again Guys for all your help!

Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:47 AM   #9
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Got the pan removed, & the tunnel "lip" cleaned off. Then I moved on to get part of the garage cleaned up & installed some track lighting I had layin around. (the rest of the lights in teh garage are off at this point) This is now the area to pull a motor apart to clean it, & put new gaskets in it. I still have more cleaning & organizing to do, but, it's gettin there!

The motor looks like it's missing something... Maybe someone was pokin around this motor before I moved it & pulled some stuff off to refurbish it. This was the motor in the Bug that supposedly only has @ 2000 miles on it, but, the oil tells a different story! I hope to get the Pan welded in this week & the rest of the chassis cleaned up to paint it. Plans are to use bedliner on the underside & rustoleum gloss black on teh top side, before carpeting it... Got my fingers crossed on gettin someone to come by & help me with all the repairs teh body needs too... I'm not a body man, & I'm totaly New to all this stuff... Well, kinda... I've been getting a lot of tips & tricks from my Buddy Dave (Fishguts) & I hope he can come "supervise" me on some of my repairs to make sure I "Do Them Right!" So far he's been a Great help, with handing off parts to me & pullin the body off. I'll owe him for all he's done so far! TC has been the biggest help though (believe it or not) as far as getting parts & cleaning/fixin' stuff up. Boy can he refurbish bits & pieces!

I'll try posting pics of the chassis as it sits now, without the pass. pan replaced yet.

Old March 28th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #10
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

OK, I know I've been slackin' on the pics with my up-dates... I'll post some after work this AM... Hopefully!

Fishguts came over lastnight & did some & on Bunny's Bug!

He replaced the bottom of the nose (thanks Mikelrome it worked out perfectly), a couple patches here & there, fabbed up some pieces for the drivers side corner behind the heater channel & where the body mounts to the pan. I was more or less there for moral support & cut metal for the patches. When I actually did show up... He got to my house 45 minutes to an hour before me & had the nose cut off & various other patches. Man can that guy get shit done!

Thank you Fishguts!

After he left I cleaned up a bit & up-graded my air compressor drain. The petcock was broken & I couldn't drain the water, so, I put a 1/4" 90 deg. a 4" nipple, a ball valve, 2" nipple & a 1/4" 45 deg. used plumbers tape on all the joints... I didn't try it out, but, I'm sure it will all work out just fine. I'll find out today when I venture out into the garage. (after I get out of work...)

Old March 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #11
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

All the patches are just tacked in for now.
Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Old April 20th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #12
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

OOOOOKKKKKKK!!!!

There was SOME progress on Bunny's Bug this weekend... TC came by Sunday & welded up the frame head & while he was in the welding mood welded in the floor pan! I didn't do much of anything but scrape some of the body in prep for other work... I don't usualy take pics while I'm workin on things, but, I did manage to take one... I'll have to post it later on though... Plus, I'll take some pics of the way things sit now... Not very interesting, it's just a Chassis with one new pan in it, & wire wheeled, getting ready for seam sealer, bed liner & paint... I'm not doing anything custom to this Bug. She wants it pretty much plain stock daily driver status... Saturday while I was out there doing some wire wheelin & cleaning the garage, she came out & asked if she was ever going to be able to drive it. Now that the new pan is on teh chassis, she's gettin more excited. I told her it won't be ready till next year though. She seems to thyink that it might be 2 years though... BUT, if I get more help from experienced guys that are willing to teach as they go, I will be able to tackle more of this project by myself. I've never gone this far into a project before. I'v broken more shit on this bug than I have on ANY other project I've worked on...

Well, Pics later tonight.

Old May 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM   #13
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

A couple pics of my Woman & the girls helpin' paint on the Master Series. Gotta Love FREE labor!

Here's Bunny & Britt!

Here's Britt!

Here's Amber!

I didn't get any pics of it, but, they were going to town on the door with the MS. Painting all sorts of stuff... Their names, a pic of a Bunny, writing Bunny's Bug on it & all. They had a Great time!

Last edited by 66 Shorty; May 1st, 2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #14
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Crappy Cellphone pic of the Chassis painted Gloss Black.

I painted the pedal assy. as well, but, The pics are on my Digi cam, & the batteries died when I tried to upload them...

More to come after the weekend!

Last edited by 66 Shorty; May 29th, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #15
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well, more has been done, but, no pics to prove it... I did paint more bits & pieces for the motor, & chassis. I'm waiting on the Terryville show to see about some extra parts I still need, before buying them on-line.

OH YEAH, we bought her a "new" Beetle as a daily driver... Now we have an '04 VW Beetle. So now she's callin' it "Sally" like from The Nightmear Before Christmas. The story behind the name is because, with all of her surgeries, she's got just about as many scars as Sally from the kidz movie.

Here's a crappy cellphone pic of her in it Smiling from ear to ear... Yeah, she's a spoiled Brat!

Anyway, I might put the '74 on hold, or sell it... I'm still not sure yet! I'd really like to get moving on The Shorty! If anyone has an idea, please don't hessitate to say something! I'm having a HARD TIME figuring out what to do! I want a Buggy, & I want the Shorty to be done! I'm NOT set on making the Bug... well, a bug... I was even thining about making it a 4 seat-roadster Volksrod... I'm just so mixed up right now!

HELP ME DECIDE!!!!

Old July 25th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #16
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

OK, so... Things MAY change... As you all know I wasn't getting the bug to restore it or make a VR out of it. I was buying it for the engine & trans for The Shorty. That's when Bunny tells me she wants me to restore it for her to drive... Well then we go buy her a NEW beetle. She loves it so much & doesn't even look at the old Bug anymore... SO I have been throwing around the idea of making a Volksrod out of Bunny's Bug. Then I came across a Buggy, which I have ALWAYS wanted one. The one I found was in total shit shape, no windshield, gauges, shifter, or seats, or anything! Nothing, just an empty tub & an IRS chassis & it wasn't even bolted down! But, it does have a nice IRS trans. So, I'm thinking about selling Bunny's Bug with the IRS Buggy Chassis & rolling the Chassis I completed under the Buggy to be that much further along, & selling off Bunny's Bug with all the parts to put it back together. If anyone is looking for a '74 Body that has been started. Let me know! There are pics above of some of the work that has been done. I'll let it go pretty damn cheap too! I can have it trailered if you are local enough (w/in a few hundred miles) for gas money. I'd hate to just throw the body out, but, it might come down to it if no one buys it. It's kinda in the way now... But, I do have the IRS Buggy chassis I would sell & you can have the Body! There are a bunch of extra parts to go with it. I have a guy from Craigslist that might be interested, but, if you've ever delt with some craigslist people... It's a freakin nightmare! So, I would like to offer it to you guys second... The first is one of our own, he lives in New Hampshire. He's got first Dibs on it! So, if Stray doesn't want it, it'll go on the "block" for sale here & then craigslist.

I REALLY NEED to focus on ONE Project! You've all read the news on the forum that I have ADD... Well, it's been kickin in so bad that I haven't been able to concentrate on one thing. SO, this Bug HAS TO GO!!! Plus, I need the cash to get my Damn Windshield from Cali. to Rhode Island!!! & I NEED IT NOW!!! Once the Buggy is done, I can Start on The SHORTY! The WHOLE ENTIRE REASON I STARTED WITH VW's IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

Old August 10th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #17
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well today it happened! I sold Bunny's Bug to another Volksrod member & dropped it off today. I hope he gets to use plenty of parts off of it. I didn't get to spend any time hanging out & chatting, but, it was really nice meeteing him.

This is the view I had of teh bug through the back window of my buddies truck.

This is at a lunch break on our way there.

& this is at it's new home!

I'll up-date with a new thread for the new Buggy project!