Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,687
Threads: 32,351
Total Online: 1269

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by alykat
- by alykat

Old April 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM   #1
BattleBug
Forum Member

Default EZ Bake Oval
Re:: AKA...Battlebug's new toy   

Ok, so most of my close VW friends know how badly I've wanted what I like to refer to as my "ideal" Beetle. This is quite simply an Oval Ragtop done up right. After looking off and on for several years it finally presented itself last Tuesday which I quite rapidly had to make it all happen. Saturday morning my dad and I picked it up and Saturday at noon, it was home.

Here are some pics...

Battlebug EZ Bake Oval 65 Daily
BattleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:37 PM   #2
BattleBug
Forum Member

Default Re: EZ Bake Oval

So to tell a bit about the car thus far, it seems like it was somebody's drag car project before it was let sit. It has had an IRS conversion done as well as a dropped beam in the front. All molding was shaved and there is some crazy hole on the driver's side sail panel that I have no idea what they were thinking. This was originally a rust free California car. They had originally had some crazy aluminum dash panel screwed over the dash with several gauges cut into it as well as relief holes in the dash. The previous owner to me had removed that when he purchased it. The paint was new probably some years ago but has taken on some damage here and there from changing hands and probably being moved around amonst other cars in the garage I got it from. Supposedly this was being built in the 70's but has sat pretty much this way for some time now. But I'm not sure when the paint went on it.

As for the name. My friend and I were joking the other night when I told him I was going to sew up a black interior for it. He said you'll cook like an EZ Bake Oven in the summer thus evolving into the EZ Bake Oval. I don't believe that will be it's name but who knows. It's kind of catchy...ha ha!

That's about it for now, hope ya enjoy it. I know I am!

Old May 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #3
BattleBug
Forum Member

Well, just a quick update. I've been working on putting the molding back on the car which is taking a little more time than I had originally hoped. The original holes were poorly filled. Bascilly somebody tacked a small piece (1 X 1) in behind the hole and then filled the rest with filler. They actually plug welded the door holes which was much better. I'm installing pop outs as well that a friend gave me

Today I did a road trip to meet up with a guy that had a W deck lid. As luck would have it, it's a perfect fit. It's basically as nice of an original W that anyone could ask for with the light and perfect hinges. The guy told me he found it in the rafters of a barn. I can't imagine anyone leaving this thing anywhere. The kicker is that it's black and matches the '56 really well.

Not sure I've ever seen a cover like this before but it's pretty cool.

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #4
BattleBug
Forum Member

Time for some current pics. Not a lot has been done to it yet but a little bit none the less. I started installing the pop outs and I've got one done. I'll be taking them back out to replace the gaskets and weather stripping on them but since the '56 didn't have any of the mounting holes for pops out I just wanted to get them in for the time being. On the driver's side I still have the tape down for the trim holes I need to drill as I've got this job started as well. The only other thing with these pics is that the deck lid I just got is mounted. It still needs some adjustments but it looks right at home.

Old May 21st, 2010, 11:17 AM   #5
BattleBug
Forum Member

Well, I've finally done something for the '56 I've been wanting to do since last year. I had picked up this steering wheel last fall and knew it would be killer in the Oval but I had to figure out what it was and how to adapt it. Since I do CAD work and some machining work, I figured I'd knock this out. Several revisions of the design I finally got what I wanted and made the part. Since I just finished it up here at work I don't have the pic of it mounted to the wheel and in the car yet but I'll have that posted before the end of the weekend. Thanks to some help here at the forum I found that the wheel is Fiat and somewhat rare. The only other one I've seen is in the KDFMangler which was cool to see as well.

This is the wheel. Nice, vintage and race looking.

This is the adapter I made and it is basically to act as an intermediate adapter. My '56 had a Superior style wheel on it so I just robbed the adapter from that and mounted that to my intermediate which all together should look pretty cool. We'll see. Here is the adapter with the VW adapter mounted to it.

Old May 27th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #6
BattleBug
Forum Member

Ok, I still got a little bit to go with the mounting but it's installed. It'll come back out once I decide to get the cap finished up and then give it a good cleaning overall. Enjoy...