Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,473
Threads: 32,236
Total Online: 493

Newest Member: THarr

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old July 31st, 2009, 10:25 AM   #1
walt
Forum Member

Exclamation Rat Patrol front axle
Re:: I've had numerous requests for this info.   

I recieved yet another request, for the information about the tube front end that was used on the Rat Patrol. I have never saved any of the responses that I,ve sent to people so maybe if I post it here I can just refer to this thread.

Here is my responce to todays request for information:

I built the front end mount for the Rat Patrol and I could custom build another one but will not be as cheap as the SoCal front end that Speedway Motors sells. What you would get from me is a COMPLETE BOLT-ON KIT. If you are building your car on a budget or on the cheep, either go with the Speedway kit or build the mount yourself.

These are the parts that I used for the Rat Patrol. They are Speedway Motors parts.
Part # 913-39010 axle assm $439.99
910-32100 spindles $219.99
835-140150 disc brakes $649.99
The only thing that I had to modify was the hair pins. They needed to be shortened. I also needed to build the steering arms to bolt to the spindles. I think the new Speedway front end kit for VW's have every thing needed in one kit but I'm not sure.
That kit is Part #910-34489 $799.99 and 913-39055 $899.99 I really don't know if they are using the axle that I recommend or not. The reason that I use that axle is so that I can run The 2 piston calipers for their modified Chevy spindles. The 4 piston units are way too much brake for the weight of a VolksRod front end and a stock VW master cylinder doesn't have enough volume to run the 4 piston brakes.
Good Luck, Walt

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2

Last edited by walt; October 7th, 2009 at 09:40 AM.
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM   #2
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Rat Patrol front axle

Will put it in the tech bin later Walt, easier to find in less pages.

thank you for posting it :)
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:12 AM   #3
notched
Forum Member

Cool Walt! The genius part of the whole set up is the perch that you made. I still think you should sell just this component...

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
You will make a good wife, some day, John.
notched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 02:05 AM   #4
dirtbag
Forum Member

Hello. This is probably a stupid question, but I'm new here so what ever : ) Can you please tell me a bit about the spring perch that seems to be really good? I can't get any info on this stuff in australia regarding volksrods so would appreciate any help.
Do the Speedway motors I-beam kits include the whole axle/spindles/spring etc etc or just the crossmember and radius rods? I think I'll have to bite the bullet and make the long distance call. After all, it's for a good cause.
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:11 AM   #5
airkooled
Forum Member

The speedway kit includes everything except hubs and brakes. Careful though the I beam or tube axle kit does not include the crossmember. They are a little unclear on there website and or magazine, so you are looking at about 1800 bucks for the I beam setup on your car. This is what I have on my car. They also have pretty much zero instructions, but I was able to figure it out since my buddy has an old ford sedan with a drop axle on it.
airkooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:25 AM   #6
dirtbag
Forum Member

Hi airkooled, thanks for the info. Do the I-beams run the standard beetle discs/calipers or are the stubs based on early ford or something?
Have you heard of many people running the beam extension, where it just mounts the standard front end 10 inches further forward? I've heard good and bad about each style, and assume the IFS stock front end is better, but I much prefer the look and feel of the I-beam and buggy spring.
Thanks again for your help. This is a great site and community. We're all freaks here : )
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM   #7
garlos
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Beam extension route is easier/cheaper due to the use of standard VW parts. I don't have numbers, but think most of the vrods here have gone that route.

The I-Beam setup doesn't use VW parts and is more involved, but the look is worth it :-)

There's some other alternatives too, like shortening the body, lengthening the framehead, flipping the tie rods, etc. Just dig around the site and you'll find a lot of good info.
garlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 02:39 PM   #8
dirtbag
Forum Member

hi garlos, thanks for the info. To keep costs down I definitely think the beam extension is the winner. Is there anyone else who makes an extension that looks as good as pegleg? I've not had any of my emails returned from them and wonder if they're still there???
Old August 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM   #9
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by db
I've not had any of my emails returned from them and wonder if they're still there???
just be patient with peg leg, he has regular job besides making exts. and sometimes takes him a while to get back to you. But he will. :)
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM   #10
dirtbag
Forum Member

Thanks pm, that's good news. Of the few extensions I've seen, his is by far the best made one.
Man, these little bastards of cars sure do get under your skin. I haven't even got mine home yet and it's all I can think about. I've caught the sickness for VW's : )
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:50 PM   #11
garlos
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
Man, these little bastards of cars sure do get under your skin. I haven't even got mine home yet and it's all I can think about. I've caught the sickness for VW's : )
Yeah same thing happened to me about 2 years ago. Never owned or even liked Bugs before that, and then someone showed me a few pictures of Volksrods. First reaction was "what the hell?", but within a week, I had bought my vert with the sole intention of cutting it up :-)
garlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 05:26 AM   #12
bugroadster
Forum Member

We all got the bug for the bug. I beleive that pegleg is only making a 8 inch extender. But i beleive dbug41 is making a 10 inch exstender. They both are very nice depends on how far out front you want the wheels. If you go with a 8 inch you dont have to cut the hood but with the ten you need to cut for the steering box.

Tags
axle, front axle, rat patrol axle