Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,593
Threads: 32,325
Total Online: 649

Newest Member: Kloster

Latest Threads
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old June 24th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #1
RATRODVW
Forum Member

Thumbs down

I just figured I'd start a whole new thread for this. I like the roadster pickup idea, I think it would be the easiest to do in a short amount of time. I'm definitely in, too. I'll not bring my car if I have to bring a pickup and tools. Once we decide on an idea, I'll start to gather pieces of cars (my buddy has a backyard full of cut up VWs :D ) We could even bring parts of the car already done (like the panel behind the seat on the roadster pickup) and just weld it on after we cut the car. I can bring body supplies-welding wire cut off wheels and the such. I think if it's well thought out before hand with a team of guys we could really crank something out thats just fucking righteous in a couple of hours. I'm down to put any parts, and whatever money I can spare, all my spare time into this, but only if everybody else is serious. C'mon let's get some ideas going here!
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #2
walt
Forum Member

You guys let me know what you decide.

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #3
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

I think part of the trick with the regular customizing competition at Billetproof,
is that the teams don't know what body style they will be working on
until they get there,so they can't prepare too much stuff in advance.

You giys won't have that problem,
so the more stuff you can get ready in advance,
the smoother it will go.

Fenderless,with an altered wheelbase,is almost a must.
A split windshield would be a cool touch.

I'm sure someone saved the rpu renderings we did with exracer 29.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old June 24th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #4
exracer29
Forum Member

I've been away for a while, but Unkl Ian mentioned my name- what's going on? Some sort build up? Please shed some light, as my intersest is peaked, but not sure what it is peaked about. :shrug: :shrug:
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #5
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>- what's going on? [/b][/quote]
The idea is to build a Volksrod in a day,at Billetproof.
Check out the last half of the "who's on the HAMB" thread
for the start of this build up idea.

The original,by exracer29,looks like the front wheels are moved forward:

After I played with it a little,shortened the wheelbase behind the doors

After I played a little more:

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old June 24th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #6
RATRODVW
Forum Member

I envision something like Butcher Wills truck, as I think it would be the easiest to do in the short amount of time we'll have. Definitely fenderless, lengthened wheelbase, and I really like the roadster idea. Saves alot of time. I will talk to my buddy tonight and see if he wants to donate his '60. It needs floorpans, but hey it adds to the rat-look doesn't it? I've got some wheels I'd loan if we wanted to go with widened steelies in the back. I've got some 3" portawalls too. I'd need the wheels back though, they're for my car ;) . Hey, my wheels are even yellow already! I like the drawings exracer29 did though! I can get blue and yellow primer, I would just hafta figure a way to spray. Hmmmm.....
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #7
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

if you use a turbine HVLP unit, all you need is a 110 outlet.
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #8
hotrodheb

Damn, I like the split windshield idea!!!

I agree that the roadster pickup would be the easiest to do in a short time. Hey Ratrodvw, if you buddy wants to donate his '60, that would be awesome. Does it run??? In my opinion, loaner wheels and portawalls for the show would be perfect. We are taking the car with us, so why not. We just need them to cruise around the show after it is done!!!

If we are just doing this on the side and not in the comp, we can have as many guys working on it as we want (As long as they are wearing a volksrod shirt )

Oh and by the way, Post 1000!!!!!!!!!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

Old June 24th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #9
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by hotrodheb@Jun 24 2004, 04:37 PM
If we are just doing this on the side and not in the comp, we can have as many guys working on it as we want (As long as they are wearing a volksrod shirt )
but if you use more, they can say "oh sure, they had extra help" I say, do it within their rules and show that we can do something as cool or cooler, within the same paramaters as them.
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #10
RATRODVW
Forum Member

I agree with Dan the moderator (Kinda like Dan the automator :P ). I think we should do it within the parameters of the contest, but maybe we could rotate people on the teams. Not have more than four guys working on it at once, but have six or seven guys there. The '60 doesn't run, but I'm sure between all the guys willing to throw down, we could get something going. My buddy would be down to help too (and he is good...REAL GOOD) ,but I may have to talk him into it. He is building a hotrod heb too. He started it about 6-7 years ago, and has kinda lost interest in it. C'mon guys, keep'em coming!
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #11
Ichoptop
Forum Member

Why does Colorado suck? I am all about of full fledged under the gun hackathon. But my wife says I act to much like Jesse James so no one will come to the garage for me to yell at and throw tools at.

We probably cant help so far away but our thoughts are with ya and we definelty want some pix.
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #12
RATRODVW
Forum Member

See the way I look at it, this car is gonna represent all of us, so in my opinion, everybodys views are as important as the guys doing the work. So if you've got ideas, throw'em in. We might tell you to fuck off, but we will listen to what you have to say J/K
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:35 PM   #13
Ian
Forum Member

Dude, if you want to go I'm down for a road trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Punk View Post
it went to a Samba Monkey.
It's all fun and games until the strippers call the cops.

Volksrods.com - Re-engineering the VW Bug one at a time
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #14
Ichoptop
Forum Member

with what I know about chopping tops, I could (with a few extra sets of hands) Whack 5" out of one and have it roughly tacked back together in a day. How about frenchin some tail lights?
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #15
steve71super
Forum Member

Where's this thing gonna go down?I think i missed that part.Krylon sells several flat colors now,I think blue and yellow are available.I think you guys should do spikes through the trim holes in the hood,like what's his name did on his bug.It's a nice little touch of attitude for the nose,and would probably draw a bit of attention from that crowd.
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #16
Ichoptop
Forum Member

umm not to rain on your parade but spikes on a car? mostly down the hood? You arent by any chance a 14 yearold that shops at hot topic and thinks it would have been really cool if the Sex Pistols was a real band?
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #17
PAPA_SMURF
Forum Member

Yeah hot topic anyways, theres a shop here in town that sells spikes up to 2 inches tall for pretty cheap. I think the fenders were going to be the first to go so, there would be nothing to french the lights into man unless you were going to do it in the decklid then you would confuse them. Krylon comes in several shades of flat blue, turquise, yellow, greens, red, you could even strip all the paint and go bare metal, spray with wd-40 that would look hella sweet.

66 schwinn, 04 Jetta
https://www.facebook.com/joe.lynch.739
vwclubofhawaii.ning.com
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #18
exracer29
Forum Member

I dont know what the rules are but if you guys wanted to start with an extended pan to begin with, I would donate my truck rod- I could undo all the stuff that was going to Fiberglassed and you guys could do it in metal. I think the p-40 look like I was going for would be cool. I am in Phoenix, and if the show is in Southern Cali, I could deliver it. :peek:
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #19
exracer29
Forum Member

This is what it looks like now
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #20
RATRODVW
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steve71super@Jun 24 2004, 02:47 PM
Where's this thing gonna go down?
Antioch, Northern Cali, sept 23 or 25 I'm not exactly sure, and I'm too lazy to find out right now.
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #21
BOOOGHAR
Forum Member

exracer, where in phx are you, i wanna swing by and check out your work in progress , btw im in tempe
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #22
exracer29
Forum Member

BOOOGHAR,
Around 39th Dr and Happy Valley rd, just West of I-17. Stop by sometime, PM me and I will give you directions.

Oh, I cant deliver to N Cali- especially with gas prices being what they are- I guess I will have to finish it on my own, Damn!
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #23
dayzwalker
Forum Member

its on Sept 25th in Antioch, CA(north-east bay area)

thanks for the offer exracer, but we HAVE TO start out with a bone stock VW

and plus...noone get too excited yet, all that Kirk said to me was that if we got a team together and could donate our own bug to chop up, he would TRY to see what he could do for us. So nothing is set in stone yet, but keep the ideaz coming just in case we do get the chance of a lifetime!

I'm thinking of staying away from the whole clean rounded bed look like xracer has in his finished drawings...too boyd! But, I do like the pickup idea. I also like the split windshield idea, and why not just do a bus roof at the same time then too! I also say we either do a front flip or move the body back instead of a bolt in beam. I know we will have to deal with brake/shifting problems when we move the body back, but we con use a buggy MC and then what about the shifter??? If we go with a roadster style then I say we put in a bench seat too! Now what about lighting...any ideaz? hhhhmmm.....post more ideaz as they come to me.....

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old June 24th, 2004, 03:18 PM   #24
alltypesvw
Forum Member

if youre thinking a bench seat, and are moving the body back.. and cutting it off to be a truck... mmm.. why not just use the back seat and make a squiggly shit rod like in an old truck or those hurst ones.. with the stick bent 90 degrees back then 90 degrees up
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #25
RATRODVW
Forum Member

The only thing about the bus roof is finding...a bus roof. I like the split window idea though. I think we should prepare for this as much as possible, its better to be ready for it if it doesn't happen then to not be ready for it if it does happen. I would really like to build something that makes everybody stop and take a second look, especially if it's connected with the website somehow. Stay in touch with Kirk though and do what you can to get us in there. If this happens its gonna be AWESOME! I guess it'll be pretty cool meeting some people from here too. But building a volksrod in eight hours would ROCK!!
Closed Thread