Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,100
Threads: 31,492
Total Online: 75

Newest Member: rosssloan68

Latest Threads
- by OHenry
- by EVOlyn

Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:58 PM   #1
BattleBug
Forum Member

Default My '65 Daily
Re:: another Battlebug project   

Thought I'd add a little something just for fun. This is sort of the direction I'll be going for the time being on this project.
65 Daily.JPG

Change of plans for the direction
Selecta.jpg

Ok, so here is the short on this one. Right before finishing up at Wyotech, I was presented with the opportunity to buy another Beetle (which would be my second). The first being the Battlebug (my '69 volksrod). So since I was hooked after the battlebug, I figured it'd be cool to pick up one to turn into a fun daily driver type car. Well, after checking out the car and thinking that it looked solid and had some great history behind it I bought it and brought it home. That was 2006. So back in 2006, my dad and I went over the brakes, changed the oil, plugs, put some fresh fuel in it and fired it up. We drove it around the house some and kept it moveable but I bailed into starting some fixes. It needed new rear bumper brackets which were first on the agenda. What I found were some really hackish fixes from way back. The original repair was basically both brackets hammered in and new brackets brazed over top of the old ones....Nasty. So I broke the repairs off, cleaned up the wheel houses and got everything ready to replace the originals. I bolted up new fenders and that's where that repair was left off. Second was the front beam, I tore it down, welded in adjusters, painted it and mounted it back up. Came to find out that if you follow the instructions, you don't get as much drop as you'd like. I was frustrated at that point. I wanted to unbolt the pan and put a new body seal on it. Well, body bolts were breaking loose in the pan, more frustration. Oh, and found tha tin one spot they welded a plate from the pan to the body. I guess they were having trouble with body bolts as well. So it sat for a couple years while I thought about the project some more and where I was going to go with it. Fast forward to present time and I'm underway with doing basic patch repair, really basic clean up and quick and dirty painting. This is just going to be a fun daily driver and nothing more at the moment. So without further rambling, this is the car when I got it.

This car came with the original special order sheet as well as the window sticker. Probably not a huge deal but I wonder how many people that special ordered their Beetle actually kept those 2 pieces of paper.

The car's interior was gutted due to a family of mice that made their home in there. This was just nasty nasty nasty. I'm still shooting to have this semi driveable by the end of fall. We'll see how far I get with it. I'm really bad with focus and jump around projects often.

Battlebug EZ Bake Oval 65 Daily

Last edited by BattleBug; September 27th, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
BattleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:53 PM   #2
BattleBug
Forum Member

Default Re: My '65 Daily

So the last couple days I've worked on the '65 has been mostly minor patch repair. However, at the Simple Transport show in Hagerstown yesterday I picked up this Scat Dragfast shifter. I never hear anyone raving about these but I figured for the price it had to beat a stock shifter. So the first item to be redone for the car is the shifter boot. I spent this morning taking the old one apart and stitching up a new one. Andy turned me on to the military canvas and since the style he is doing is much different than the style I'm doing, he was entirely cool with me using it to. This is the finished product.

Old August 29th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #3
BattleBug
Forum Member

Ok, I haven't posted any updates for a few days but I've been working on the car pretty steadily. At least a couple hours every evening and I have nearly a full day today so far. However, I wanted to post a couple sort of teasers to show the direction it's going. First off, I've been working on the minor repairs and such to the front wheel houses. The passenger side is pretty much done and painted so I can show that now. Here is a glimpse of that. I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out and how it looks. Just for the record, the paint is similar to what Andy (Onelowzuki) used on his diamond pickup. This was something I found at our local surplus store and turned him onto. Mine is Satin Teal with fresh black fender beading. The paint was 50 cents a can on closeout or 3 for a buck. I bought several cases to do this job. Suprisingly it's pretty rugged too. Since it was cheap, I don't care and I have plenty to touch up with.

Ok, that was most of the work for earlier this week. This morning I finished up the first seat cushion and got it mounted on the frame moments ago. I was excited enough that rather than wait till the back rest is done, I wanted to share this with the gang.

I'll have more tomorrow as I'll have the rest of tonight and all day tomorrow to work on stuff for it. Hope ya like.
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #4
BattleBug
Forum Member

Ok, today's fun was getting the first seat finished. For kicks and giggles, I'll show ya what I started with...

This is a '65 seat and from what I can tell it was a special interior with cloth seats. I had originally wanted to restore the car but I figure when I get it done as a daily for the time being that I probably won't change anything. I really like the way everything is flowing.

Here is the finished product...

Here is a comparison for fun...

Last edited by BattleBug; September 22nd, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #5
BattleBug
Forum Member

Ok, so the Labor Day weekend didn't go quite as I had planned but there is forward progress. I had some hours throughout my 4 day weekend and I made sure to fill it with completing the driver's side seat! I'm very VERY pleased with the outcome and the best way I thought I could show everyone is actually mounted in the Beetle. Take note to the shifter also being mounted which I did the other day just for fun.

You'll also notice that in front of the passenger seat is a piece of carpet. I went to the loft in the garage and dug out the carpet set which was pulled from my volksrod when we gutted it. It was a new West Coast Metric set and just happened to be what I wanted to use in this. It needs a good cleaning but once the floor pans are done, I'll install that and we're good to go!
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #6
BattleBug
Forum Member

I didn't get a lot of time last week to work on the car itself. I did however work on the driver's side fender a little but didn't get to far with that (sanding it down) before the dust started to bother me. With that said, I jumped over to taking apart the back seat cushion and got it ready to start cutting new pieces. That was on Wednesday night. Today I hit the garage and went right for the seat and with a few distractions I still managed to get the top plate pieces cut and sewn. Here is a sample of what it looks like just laying on the frame. I still need to cut the side pieces and such but I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out. I should have that part finished early next week and then onto the back rest to finish up the seats. Enjoy for now.

Last edited by BattleBug; September 14th, 2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old September 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #7
BattleBug
Forum Member

Well, nothing done on the seats since Saturday (last post) but I did manage to pick up a roof rack from a friend of mine. Thought I'd set it on for the moment just to snap a pic and get me all worked up on it. Work resumes on the interior tomorrow.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:28 PM   #8
BattleBug
Forum Member

Ok, so the back seat cushion really messed with me a bit. I figured with the back seat I needed to do the cushion out of the way since it'd be the first piece to go into the car. I had thought it would be easier to do but there was lots of detail work to do. After many interruptions I got to the point on Sunday night ready to fasten the cover to the frame and my hog ring pliers were nowhere to be found. So while at work yesterday my dad went looking all over town for another set. Well, he had gotten me the first set (the lost ones) at a feed mill here in my town. They had another set but wanted 14 bucks for them. They are like 6 bucks on the net and don't work as well as I'd like. He hit up a local auto parts store and oddly enough they still had one pair in the back of really good ones. This is what I'd call a score because they are typically 35 bucks and she gave them to my dad for 20. Tonight after my b-day dinner I hit the garage to finally fasten the cover down. Needless to say, the new hog ring pliers worked great and the cover came out really nice!

The first pic is of the new cover and the second pic is of the back rest against it with the replacement cover still attached to it. It's the only pic I have of any of the replacement covers that were installed over the factory upholstery.

Old May 12th, 2011, 04:19 AM   #9
BattleBug
Forum Member

It's been awhile since I've posted any updates on my projects but figured I should throw some kind of update in here since I had been working on it off and on as time permits. Since the interior had been finished I changed up my plans for the whole thing and decided to pull the body and do the repairs against a few members suggestions. They thought I should just leave it alone and run it. After yanking the body I found that wouldn't have been a good idea. The driver's side heater channel is almost non existant and there were barely half of the body bolts still hanging on. Even though it just extended the rebuild out some I'll feel better with it repaired. So that's where I'm at as far as working on the project but I figured I'd add a picture of my primary accessory. I've been planning this out and how it will reside on the '65 for a couple years now. I found this one last year at a tractor show but my friend Cracky hooked me up with a chassis identical too it before I found the more complete one. Should be fun to pull this off the '65 and go totin' around at the shows.

That's about it for now. More pics to come as I get a few more things taken care of on it. I'm still catching up on work for others that I couldn't get to over the winter.

Here is the one that Cracky hooked me up with...