Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,617
Threads: 31,709
Total Online: 59

Newest Member: sectioned71

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by FatDad
- by Bugula
- by DrHax

Old November 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #76
radiotrib
Forum Member

Default Re: Two Virgins and a Sawzall

I been a grinding again .... Both inside corners are ready for bondo .. and there's very little left to grind before I start on the softer work ... YEAH !!!

Someone on the Dutch forum once asked me what I was going to do with the steering and pedals when the front was 23cm further away from the dashboard ... Well the first thing I did was shorten the steering column. That brings the whole of the collapsible section inside the cabin and leaves a little bit poking out though the hole in the footwall.

Next I cut off the splined section of the connector to the 'rag joint' at the steering box ... and ended up with this ...

Oh .. and by adding the magic ingredients ... a 1303 flexible connector ... and a bearing to hold the end of the column to the trunk floor .. it looks like this ...

As you see, if it all works, the thin bit will poke though the footwall, and the flexi-part will connect to the steering box ... I'm pretty sure it will need a little shortening, but that's the idea ...

Its been bloody cold (-1 to -3 C) and tiring, and nothing looks like it's changed, but I've been avoiding cutting the steering column for months, and right now, in my heart I know I've just moved another big step closer ...

My Intro/Build Journal - Two Virgins and a Sawzall
----------
You can't build a car with a cheque book
radiotrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #77
radiotrib
Forum Member

Double Whammy Day today ... the "heavy postman" arrived with two of each of these ....

295/50 15 rear - 140/70 16 front ...

Big'n'Littles .. ain't that just the way to go ...

I can't wait to get them on the wires and mounted on the axles
(Can you say Vroom Vroom ...)

At least I'll be able to push the bug onto the transported in January a lot easier now ...

and as if that wasn't enough, the regular postman arrived with a very special plaque ...

It feels like Christmas came early already .... and I've still got more to come !!!

----------
Old December 11th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #78
radiotrib
Forum Member

Rustproofed the metal and zinked it with rattle can alu-zink welders primer .... most of this will have to be scratched off again when the weather improves, but I needed to halt the growth of surface rust for now ...

Started setting up the steering today ...

First I got someone at work to machine up a split teflon bush to stop the outer sheath flopping all over the column now that the arrangement is changed (its 2 inches long, but all you can see is the last 1/4 inch of white sticking out of the outer tube) ...

Then I located the outer bearing and fastened up the front of the steering column ... needs to be dropped by a half inch or so to get it just so ... but this'll do for now.

Fitted the Grant el-cheapo old-skool steering wheel ...

and tried the inner-end universal joint for size ...

It's going to need some sort of box around the connector/UJ, and a round sleeve to attach the boot ... but the idea looks good. The end silver rod is a tube, and once the front axle is installed, the other end of the (now split up) 1303 universal section will be slipped into it. Once I get the setup aligned correctly, I'll finish it all off with the welder ...

----------
Old December 25th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #79
radiotrib
Forum Member

Christmas present !!!!

I only did a bit of stuff that didn't show up in a photo this week ... but I'm still moving forward.

Anyway, for the photo freaks ... today I got a present ... Morkrieger have rolled me a mockup of my engine for the show in January ... Yummmmmmmmmmmmm

Crank is in and turns smooth ... heads are still being worked on so these are old ones from the Morkrieger stockpile. Not really a rolling engine, but the Doc says I don't get to touch the real thing until after the dyno runs in spring ...

I can wait ... I can definitely wait :) ...

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; December 25th, 2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #80
radiotrib
Forum Member

Well I promised myself I would keep it secret until Kever Winter Festijn ... but I'm so stoked I couldn't resist ... Ruben came around today and worked like a demon to get the chassis into a rolling state ...

and then one thing just led to another ...

Can you say ... VROOOM !!!!

Do I look happy or what ????

The mockup engine will be in by the weekend too .. so now I can focus on linking up the steering, dropping the front a little more, sorting out some seating arrangements, and perhaps looking at what to do with either the dash or the doors.

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; December 27th, 2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #81
radiotrib
Forum Member

Today I had a visit from Hanzzz (www.surfles.nl - Surf Lessons in Holland) and the Doc. from Morkrieger. Doc. brought the engine mockup to try for size and looks, and we all worked for a day fitting, fiddling and getting the ride height right for the KWF ...

First we got the front air-shocks and suspension set up ...

Then we got the rear end ride height sorted ... we needed to adjust the spring plates because that big, new, shiny accessory filling the big hole in the rear end weighed a fair bit ...

VROOOOOOOOM !!!!

----------
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #82
radiotrib
Forum Member

Not a lot to see after the last couple of days excitement, but still .. I got the last bit of the steering connected up so its one piece all the way from the wheel to the wheels ...

Yep .. NOW I CAN STEER IT ...

There's another UJ inside the rubber boot, and the collapsible section is inside the car. Now that's just completed all my "Must do's" for KWF .

I did find two MAJOR problems though ... when I welded up the front end I must have pushed the nose 1.4 cm out of true during the alignment and welding process, so the hood doesn't close straight ... erm .. well in fact, the hood does close straight, it's just that the bit under it ISN'T where it should be. Fortunately, the offset is the same on both sides, so I didn't get the overall dimensions wrong, just located them a centimetre or so to the left of where they should be ...

Looks like I'm going to be spending some time over the next 10 days getting friendly with an effing big jack and some chains and planks ....

and the other problem was the fact that the inner "drum" of the ford wheels on the front are too close to the disk to squeeze in the VW calipers ... I think I'll be fixing that temporarily by pushing out the wheels with a pair of 5mm spacers behind the adapters.

In the long term, I.m pretty sure I'll be changing the original concept, and next time I'm in the States I think I'm going to pick up a pair of skinny (15x5) wheels to match the ones on the rear. If I get them with Porsche pattern lug spacing I can run a narrow front without adapters or spacers. At the same time I might also have the rears re-drilled for Porsche pattern and take 3 inches out of the rear track too ... but I kinda like the huge-tired splayed-out look on the rear .... It's a bit "Fad-T" and I always loved them when I was a young 'un.

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; December 29th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM   #83
radiotrib
Forum Member

So today I tried to realign the front end ... This is the problem ... and there was an equally large offset inwards on the other side.

So I had to cut up all that 'finished' trunk I was so happy about.

After I fastened the body down to the chassis I took a piece out of the passenger side, squeezed it together, and welded a patch over it.

Then did exactly the opposite on the other side .. split it, stretched it and added a piece to the brace then welded a patch over it.

and here we are ... straighter .. not brilliant, but at least acceptable cosmetically. I think it should be OK once I've smoothed it off a bit and tidied it up.

I also fitted the rubbers to the hood and notched it to miss the steering box while I was at it.

----------
Old January 16th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #84
radiotrib
Forum Member

First job today was to get the mis-fitting bits sorted on the window surround ... Lots of pie cutting and bridge welding ...

Next step .. since the car has been channeled ... cut the door into two modifiable bits ... each with a hinge

Then hang each bit in turn, and mark up the differences in height etc on the door frame ...

Then try out to see if the modifications and the marking out were OK ...

The door is a very poor fit. I think I skewed the body very slightly when I channeled it. Either that or I didn't do the original vertical sectioning of the door accurately. Not to worry. I can mess around with it now I've got it in pieces, and I was going to replace the vertical weld anyway, so let's see how we get on over the next couple of weeks...

Looks different with a door in the hole eh ???

----------
Old February 6th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #85
radiotrib
Forum Member

Woah ... it's been a long time since my last update ... work, a cold and various family things have kept me from the bug ... and this weekend I was ill so I didn't do a lot, but it's good to be back in the boatshed again.

I took a fresh look at that door and welded it up. Tried it for a fit and it fits the hole nicely except for the top line, but the seam weld was awful - I didn't notice the regulator was almost totally closed on the gas, so the welds were porous, and the panel was badly distorted. In the end I cut the bottom outer skin away completely, and used a repair panel I had lying around ...

Dunno what I've done for all this time without Cleco fasteners !! They're so handy :)

At the end of the day I got my first dollop of bondo on the door just so that it felt like I was moving forward faster ...

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; February 6th, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #86
radiotrib
Forum Member

Didn't like the look of the bottom corner of the door - really messy job - so I took hold of the offcut piece from the previous job's repair panel. and replaced the corner ...

Then I took myself up to the other unfinished part of the door skin ... I intended to flush the handles until the RDW came up with a new regulation about doors needing to be openable from the outside ... but I'd already burned my bridges, so first I'm going to flush the doors, then add new handles later ... just not Beetle ones ...

Fortunately, I kept the offcuts from when I did the vertical sectioning of the rear quarter, so I had a nice curved piece of blank to work up into a patch ...

Here it is cut to shape and joggled

and cleco'd in place ...

I did the welding in a last minute flurry and didn't have time to take a photo before rushing off to sort out my other obligations ... but it's coming together very slowly. Took me almost 4 hours for these 2 tiny patches sorted ... grrr ...

----------
Old February 13th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #87
radiotrib
Forum Member

It's been a weekend for doing flddly little things ... It all started when I got annoyed with the ill-fitting driver's door. The rest of the door fits fine, but the top of the window frame at the rear is about 5mm too low .. you can see sky through the gap.

So I decided to insert 5mm of extra door pillar !! ... First stage, apply the high-accuracy, super-tech, dimension indicating, adhesive fabric gauges to the door pillar ...

I decided to cut out a previous weld so that I would only gain one more weld in the frame. Took out 10mm to ad in 15 in total. As I made the cut it went "SPROING" and the frame went to exactly the right size ... so somewhere I must have done something right back in the murky past !!

Next step was to fix the floppy frame to the body so that the door ended up the right shape when it all went back together.

and then I cut up some old door frame and got the various sections I'd need in order to make up the patch. It had to be done in pieces because the door was still in the hole, and the piece I cut up was too wide for the gap .. it had to have a mini-sectioning job done on it to make it fit :)

After hours of fiddling, I finally got around to welding a bit in place ... it looked like the door was going to be intact by the end of the day ... YAAAY ...

At last ... almost 4 hours later ...

Look ... no sky !!!

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; February 13th, 2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #88
radiotrib
Forum Member

Still working on that door ...

I was in Spain Saturday, and only had a half day today, but it was still a good day .. bloody cold, but good ... I decided that I was going to do the whole door, right up to finished, before moving on to the second one, so today, since I didn't feel too energetic, I had a look at the window arrangements.

Several people in Holland have asked what I intended to do with the door glass ... well because of the way I chopped the roof, the doors should still be able to take the original sliding glass ... and I like the idea of a chopped quarter light ... so here's the beginning of the story of the glass ... :)

Amazing how many pieces there are in a quarter window .. and that is still without taking out any rivets !!!!

Big difference between the original and the new space eh ??? :)

Nest step ... see if it was true about the sliding glass ... I fitted some old felt surrounds, and slid the original window into the hole.

It fitted nicely, so I finally chopped the outer frame ... the bit that holds the rubber seals in place .. had to cut it into 4 pieces to get it right, with a clean fit, and a chance that the swivel action will still work.

And here's the frame in place, re-riveted to the support bar, with the rubbers fitted, and the sliding glass all wound up tight ...

Not a bad afternoon's work ... well, at least I think so ...

Next weekend I think I'll cut up the actual window frame and re-site the top hinge ... if it all works out right I may even have one door with operational glass in it by the end of the weekend .....

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; February 20th, 2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #89
radiotrib
Forum Member

Another day working on the window from hell !!! ... Even when it's done I don't think it will work out. The frame is aluminium, and there's no way I can work out how to fix it together unless I end up glueing it to the glass ... but even before then I still have to work out how to mount the lock section ....

The glass was an old offcut of perspex and wasn't quite the right shape so it will be replaced in the finished window ... and the whole inner window needs re-cutting to ease it a bit ... but the idea is still working itself out in my head ... and it sure looks nice when I stop swearing at it and take a long look ....

One tricky bit was to get the pivot alignment right ... gutting it the way I had to do it meant that the bottom and top pivots were out of line with each other. That would not allow the window to swivel, and moving one or the other didn't only look like a really difficult exercise, it would have meant that the window openings would have been completely disproportionate ... so I decided to angle the hinges instead ... It seems to have worked :)

Back at it today ... more later ...

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; February 26th, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old February 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #90
radiotrib
Forum Member

Well after lots of busted knuckles, a cut thumb and more swearing than the Australian Navy ... I finally got the bastard window from hell to behave itself ... Not perfec, but good enough for rock n' roll (I think)

Well at least it fits the hole ....

It looks OK from the inside too ... with all the original hardware still in place

AND ... It opens (finally)

Only one more of the little buggers to do and I can never, never, never again consider chopping a quarter light for fun !!!!

----------
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #91
radiotrib
Forum Member

Spent another day on that bloody door ... that's 16 man hours work just on the glass of one friggin door !!! and in the end it's just OK ... not as good as I wanted ... just OK

I really think that only someone who has actually done a full glass door chop will know how it feels to finally be in a position to post these next three pictures ...

Opening glass !!! .... The quarter light is a chopped original with all the fittings, and the sliding glass is the original VW glass and winding mechanism ...

With the Quarter light closed - main window up

With the Quarter light open - main window half down

and another one ... just because I'm so pleased that half of the worst job in Volksrod hell is behind me ...

----------
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #92
radiotrib
Forum Member

Well after a weekend off (doing home business) I got bazck down to it today. First I did a complete round trip of that door and patched up a lot of poor welding and then ground it back ... should be ready for filler very soon now :D ... and I tidied up the boatshed to win back some space.

Then I turned my attention to working out how to make the door latches work ... After half the day I finally got the lock and inside handle working OK, and I've got a reasonable idea of how I'm going to do the outside handle too .. so I cut the hole and tried it for a fit ...

Mk 1 Mazda MX5 handle ...

Now I have to sort out the inner workings, and the inside clamps ... Oh, and the door latches OK, but it's a but grungy .. I have to extend the holes for the striker plate to get it a little lower ... but the shut position looks acceptable ...

... back at it tomorrow ...

----------
Old March 13th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #93
radiotrib
Forum Member

Door handle design is getting to become a reality ... The Mazda handles operate a lever in up/down, push mode and I needed a fore-aft pull so the first thing was to modify the mechanism ...

The little lever (indicated by the red arrow) is the back of the handle ... it pushes the angled bracket in the before version ... which causes the actuator rod to be lifted (or pushed upwards) ... I added a length to the quadrant in the same line as the door-handle spur and extended the action by 50% to give me about a 1.5 to 1 increase in movement. I'm inverting the handles (left handle-right door) and running a bicycle rear brake cable from the handle, round the quarter-light support, and back to pull on the inner door handle rod ...

Here's a comparison photo of the handles to make my garble easier to understand ...

I also did a lot more work on getting the door to swing and latch more cleanly ... Here's a youtube vid ... silly but .. well .. I was pleased so I wanted a record of it ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDTJpIHK_C4

Did some more bondo to close off the day ... now I'm off to Spain for the regular week of work.

----------
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #94
radiotrib
Forum Member

Bondo on ... Bondo off ...

I got so sick of flatting that door that I decided to do something different to relieve the monotony ... I didn't like the look of those cut off rear quarters over the engine, and the truncated rain gutter ... so I cut a bit more off the old roof I used for patching and tried to rework the rear corner ... It was also necessary because the end of the roof corner, where the engine hood fits, was completely rotten and stuffed with bondo by one of the previous owners, so I had the chance to cut it out and replace it with real steel ...

Before and after shots ...

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; March 26th, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #95
radiotrib
Forum Member

YAWN !!! GROAN !!!

so I got the other half of the new ass end sorted when the bondo got to be too tedious ...

Then I decided to sort out a nasty bit of crunchy stuff on the front scuttle .,. but when I looked at it, I realised it was another 'crunch time' for me ... I'd been on/off/on/off about the arrangement for the windscreen wipers for almost a year, and this was the big moment ... make your mind up time RT !!!

What do I do? ... do I fix the crunchy stuff and go conventional windscreen and regular wipers or ....

So I finally bit the bullet .. IAll too often on this project I've gone away from the original idea to follow a new thought, only to end up back at the original idea, so today I decided to stay true to the original concept and go with a safari windscreen and hanging wipers ...

I'm sort of secretly proud of that little insert ... bent it myself from flat sheet using a hammer and a piece of railway track ... never done anything like that before. Most of my other sheet metal work has been done around formers, in situ, once most of the welds were in and the job was nice and stiff ....

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; March 27th, 2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #96
radiotrib
Forum Member

Object lesson in how (not) to weld ... !! I decided to do the passenger door properly instead of resorting to tons of bondo like I did on the driver's door ... The Passenger door was my first attempt at welding and man was it bad !! :o :o :fire1:

Here's the original weld in all its painful detail !!

and YEEEEEEEUCK !!! A close up !!

So I cut out the old weld and replaced it with the section I cut out of the rear quarter when I did the vertical sectioning job (I never throw anything away unless it really is scrap ...)

ready for lead I think ...

and no oil-canning (well ... not a lot anyway).

I'm a lot happier with that door now ... :) :) :)

----------
Old April 10th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #97
radiotrib
Forum Member

I have to be quiet on sunny Sundays or the neighbours get upset ... so I did some fairly quiet jobs ...

Patched a bit more on the second door, and stiffened up yesterdays welds
Flushed off the second wiper mount on the scuttle
did a bit more bondo on door 1
and finally set to and sorted out the door handle to lock mechanism ... eventually ran the wire from the handle round the back of the window using a pulley from a window blind kit, and then brought the wire forward and attached it to the inside handle rod ...

Here's proof ... crap video but a great result :)

http://youtu.be/PZaSQ56Xz6U

Looks like I've officially started on door #2 as well .... PROGRESS !!!!

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; April 10th, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM   #98
radiotrib
Forum Member

Passenger door is moving forward ...

cut the bottom off and tried it for a fit ...

Then cut up the repair panel inside famework to get the width right and transferred the old hinge from the original rusted out hulk.

... welded it up ready for a trial fit and transferred the window winder mechanism support

After that the battery in my phone was flat, but I managed to put the outer skin on the door, and put a bit of bracing inside it to make the inner part of the door a little less floppy.

Then I hacked out a section of the rear firewall and the oil cooler mounting framework ready to raise it all 80 mm and accommodate the 75mm tranny raise I decided to do ...

Oh .. and then I stripped down a VW speedo and a band new VDO tachometer to see if there were any interchangeable bits ready for when I make up the dash ...

Photos of the later part of today's adventures will have to wait 'till next time I'm back in the boatshed ... probably tomorrow ...

more as it happens ...

Oh I'm so happy when I'm dirty and breathing the taste of tortured metal ... hehehehehehe

----------
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:20 AM   #99
radiotrib
Forum Member

So here's the door pieced together and ready to buff up and fill with lead

I got the trans raise prep work almost done ... cut out the notch, relocated the oil cooler frame ... just have to decide on an inner support that will blend with the interior sheet metal, but the thing's as solid as a rock even without the front support :)

... and I had to reduce the size of the dash panel to make it fit so I took a bit out of the middle ...

... one thing led to another and .....

It's not offset .. the steering wheel has to be moved over and will eventually sit dead center to the two main clocks.

I think it will soon be time to get the body back onto trestles again ...

----------
Old April 30th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #100
radiotrib
Forum Member

Carried on working on the dash ... added the bracing, filled the panelwork and almost completed the under curve ...

ready for the grinder by tomorrow afternoon methinks ...

Got the drivers door into epoxy too - ready for the hi-build and seal, then I'll base coat it and lay it to one side ...

It feels like things are moving steadily towards paint and completion ...

----------