Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,472
Threads: 32,236
Total Online: 481

Newest Member: jessup

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old May 1st, 2011, 07:27 AM   #101
radiotrib
Forum Member

Default Re: Two Virgins and a Sawzall

Not a lot happening today .. tired and a bit hungover after a night of reveling ... but I did manage to get three or four coats of hi-build onto the drivers door so I'll be rubbing it down and sealing it next weekend, and I finished off the bottom line of the dashboard so I have a whole new piece of body to start grinding at ...

My Intro/Build Journal - Two Virgins and a Sawzall
----------
You can't build a car with a cheque book

Last edited by radiotrib; May 1st, 2011 at 07:30 AM.
radiotrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #102
radiotrib
Forum Member

Door 2 is beginning to move forward .....

I once promised someone that I would post every step in the door construction ... well you got the structural bits ,... let's call that phase 1 ... next, the assessment ... phase 2 ...

First job ... scrape off all the paint that's going to get in the way, and incidentally ... check out the bondo-filled dents the PO left for me to find ....

then reassess the work I did on the original chop ... (My first welds) .. aaarrgghhhhhh ... crud ... Nothing fits

and how someone managed to get away with banging in carpet tacks in place of the real thing I will never know ...

... must have banged them in with a ball-end hammer too given the size of the dents .....

Anyway ... I got stuck in to the sorting out today .....

First ... I used a lot of gash and a bit of fabrication and rebuilt the b-post of the door

Then I straightened the window slot ...

and cleaned it up

Tomorrow I finish the shell of the door and if I'm lucky I'll get some lead on it ... oh Yus ...

Also .. so it doesn't feel left out .. I did a fair bit more on smoothing the drivers-side door too ... a bit of a rub, couple more coats of hi-build, and a s!tload of cussing, and I think that door will be ready for deal and base coat by next week ...

Oh Yusssssssssss ......

----------
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #103
radiotrib
Forum Member

Doing more today ... first I got the drivers door rubbed down and sealed ... This is ready for base coat I think ...

Then i fixed up the rest of the misfits on the passenger door

... and started on the lead base for the bondo ...

----------
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #104
radiotrib
Forum Member

I'm on leave for a week, so I'm starting to make up for the last 3 (lost) weekends ...

Got a few hours in on the bug today. First job was to get the next layer of bondo and guide coat onto the door I leaded a couple of weeks ago ...

Next ... now that the tranny raise is imminent i needed some quick and dirty stiffeners and formers for the sheet metal over the oil cooler and the rear floor ...

and then I took a look at the windscreen wiper installation ... Thanks to Steve Bain over on Volksrods.co.uk (I copied his idea) I got hold of a couple of sets on Mini wipers/motors/cables ... Here's the first one fitted and ready to plumb in ... I'll do the driver's side some time this week too ...

Nice to see how well the wiper gearbox fits into the formed metal at the top of the screen inside ...

----------
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:31 AM   #105
radiotrib
Forum Member

The Tuesday episode ... Man is it nice getting a week of work while everyone else is still doing their biz ...

I really got sick of the bondo round after trying to do a bit more to the dash from inside the body!! .. Anyway .. it's getting reasonable ...

... another few hours and it might be flat enough for hi-build and seal ... and when I got fed up with the bondo cycle I decided to start plating up the rear over the trans raise cutout ...

I'm considering leaving the three rectangular holes as they are, and fitting removable floor sections over them so I can get to the gubbins below without crawling around on my back ...

... and while I was considering that possibility, I thought I may as well fix up the screen wiper on the other side. After measuring and trying it out for sweep angle and coverage, I worked out that the original spacing as per the Mini would work for me .. so I set up the second wiper to use the original bowden tube between the wipers. That will mean I only need to buy a custom length from the motor to wiper #1 and the longer cable to connect it all together. You can just see the middle pipe, and the little end-guide pipe in the inset photos, connected to the top of the wiper gearboxes.

It's feeling good :) ....

----------
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM   #106
radiotrib
Forum Member

All day ... and I only built a box !!! ... here's the fan housing for the oil cooler ... fan holes aren't cut yet but ...

Hand formed on a bench with no vice ... blah .. blah ... and I spent the rest of the afternoon scratching bondo off steel ...

but it's getting there slowly ...

----------
Old June 4th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #107
radiotrib
Forum Member

On Thursday Ruben (he's got a crazy buggy) and Dr. Horsepower came round and helped me move the shed around. Then we got the body back onto the trolley so that I can do the insides and lower parts whilst standing :)

After that ... Nothing but bondo on, bondo off again yesterday .. got bored and stiff ... but ...

While the guys were there, we tried the clock in the dash to see how it will look ...

I'll be making new outer rings for the numbers so one will be a rev-counter and the other a speedo ... There'll be 52mm oil-pressure and oil-temperature gauges, one in each of the side panels. I'm still toying with the idea of getting hold of a pair of square fuel gauges, swapping the guts for the VDO's, and adding the de-luxe chrome trim :) .. don't think that's going to happen though

----------
Old June 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #108
radiotrib
Forum Member

Been nothing but bondo for what feels like an eternity ... and it's still not smooth!!! ... but I got impatient and decided tomorrow is the end of the bondo on the outside of the body shell .. anything else can just stay as it is !!! Tomorrow - glaze and 240 grit dry, next weekend - epoxy (if the new pressure switch for my compressor arrives in time)

So today I decided to start playing with engine mounts section of the trans raise ... I was toying with the idea of big fat plates, but in the end, I got to thinking ... all the rear mount has to do is to stop the gearbox rotating, and support the dead weight of the gearbox and engine ... so I bought a couple of pre '73 gearbox cradles, and did it all with box section ...

Welded a piece of 22x22x3mm box across the cap, welded the second cradle to it, and braced it vertically and radially with a nice bit of 15x15x2mm ...

It's going to need cleaning up with a grinder, and possibly plating to make it look better, but this sucker ain't going nowhere in a hurry ...

From one side ...

From the other side

Gives me a nice 110mm (4 /4 inch) trans raise using almost all original VW parts :)

----------
Old July 9th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #109
radiotrib
Forum Member

I've been doing invisible things again this weekend, but the doc ... well ... term's over and it's time to start the j-bug build ... He sent me a big fat zip .. here are just a couple ....

ceramic ...

black was the final decision ...

here's the layout ...

and it just wouldn't be complete without the Morkrieger tag up there on the idler wheel ... eh? ...

next time you see this engine fitted in the ass-end of a volksrod - there'll be a copy of the dyno report to go with the photos ...

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; July 9th, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #110
radiotrib
Forum Member

It's been a weekend for consolidation (and more fekkin bondo!!!) but somehow I ended up with photos to show off.

I was inside the body doing fiddly bondo stuff to the rear quarters again ... almost there though :)

while I was waiting for each application of bondo to dry I did something else ... Here's one reworked sill to match the curvature of the door ...

... made 2 tiny but very important bits for the dashboard ... they go between the 2 clocks ...

... closed up the last of the holes in the parcel-shelf ...

.. mutilated a VDO rev counter, the old, black speedo, and a nice little 1960's 90MPH US speedo ... more on that to come ...

... but it should look good as an 8000 rpm rev-counter sitting next to the 140kph speedo ...

and here's the cradle I made to support the gearbox tail while I'm fitting up the forward plate for the front mount ... the 22mm box is just where the gear shift rod will be when it's done.

----------
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #111
radiotrib
Forum Member

I'm stuck in Spain fir the week ... but somewhere shrouded deep in the mists of myth and secrecy, people are still working on the bug ... BWAHAHAHAAA

Yes ... back in the secret Morkrieger Rennsport laboratories ... the Doc and his assistant the mad Professor have been measuring the feck out of the rotating parts, machining off tiny little imperfections, setting it all up to the correct tolerances and reassembling the bottom end ...

BEWARE ... Mad Genius at work ... Lots of photos

The crank - no need for a counterbalanced crank he tells me, the rotating and reciprocating masses in this engine are balanced to run up to at least 6500 RPM

Checking the conrod journal end-float

Aligning the camshaft and setting up the end-float

and assembling the bottom end ...

Ahnendorp Engineering at its finest ... Con Rods to see your face in ... Hand polished on the naked thighs of dusky virgins ... erm ... oops ...

----------
Old July 17th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #112
radiotrib
Forum Member

I hated that passenger door !!! ... It really didn't fit the hole properly. The top of the door was hitting the door frame in two places ... back of the door and front above the top curve ... I just couldn't leave them in place ... So I hacked it up again ...

First I whacked the top off

Then I fixed it all in place, cut out the cruddy bits and welded in a new piece

I've also been looking at making reduced length wipers, and I think I've got a fairly universal plan for doing it. I'll post a little how-to once I've done my first wiper.

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; July 17th, 2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old July 18th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #113
radiotrib
Forum Member

Meanwhile the Doc was working away from home this weekend, but he had my engine close at hand, so he got some more done ...

He said ...

"Deckheight was 1.28mm to 1.38mm on all cylinders, a 0.1mm deviation makes up for 0.1 points in static compression which is set at 9,1:1, given a 43cc chamber ..."

"Cilinders are level to each other, with almost 0 tolerance , so the heads will seal up nicely when torqued down"

"Axial end play of the crank has been set at _exactly_ 0.10 mm (factory fresh needs to be 0.07 to 0.13mm)"

"TDC on the pulley was spot on ...

Widened the oil grooves under the cam bearings to increase oil quantity going to the other case halve (including the 'hoover modification') ...

Widened the return galleys a bit ...

Reamed the pressure-relieve plunger in the case, it slides nicely up and down now ...

Next Tuesday:

Final assembly of the engine crank case, do all the plugs, check all galleys, final prep and clean
Drill the crank for 8 dowels
lengthen the oil pickup
some little this and that's.m Then she can be put together and come along to the workshop for the heads and rocker geometry.

Then all that's left is detailing the cooling and oiling system and start working on the cable system for the butterflies.

sounds like i'm on schedule." ...

Oh yus !!!

----------
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #114
radiotrib
Forum Member

Went on a visit to North Germany to see Mike Lensing - builder of 'The Rat' on Saturday ... today I finally cut up and repositioned the passenger door front curve .. door shuts fine now :)

I also completed the shortening of a flat wiper for testing ... more on that when I process the photos.

----------
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #115
radiotrib
Forum Member

Mini Tutorial Trivia ... How to truncate a modern Aero/Valea type wiper blade for a chopped windscreen

How To .... Little Wipers with a difference

I didn't want to use standard flat wipers because I was expecting that they would not work as well as I wanted them to .. so I decided to try a pair of those new-fangled 'flat-type' "Aero" wipers. I found someone on e-Bay selling aero wipers for classic Mini fittings, so I snagged a pair for 7 quid ...

OK so far ...

BUT during my research I discovered these are Valeo, not Aero ... the difference is that the Aero has a single spring spine with the wiper pushed through it, the Valeo has two separate spring spines, one either side. This description is for VALEO ... if you get yourself Aero-type it's OK .. there are tutorials on youTube to show you how to take them apart ...

Anyway ... this is what arrived ... loads of bits and a wiper blade ...

I had to pop off the 'hook' adapter and replace it with the mini one ... an easy job. The adapter bits snap on/off like lego pieces

The end caps aren't glued in place, so they just need a little prizing and coaxing, but once they're over the shoulder of the notch (see the photo), they just slide off ...

be careful .. the tabs on the end cap are fairly thin plastic, and like all plastics both near and far ... it will break if it can break ...

Once you've got it off the springs are relatively easy to push apart to release the blade itself

couple of snips with good kitchen scissors and ....

Next job is to mark the length on the spring-steel spines, and whizz them off with a Dremel .. a junior hacksaw will also do the job if you don't have a Dremel.

What I didn't show here is the removal of the springs ... sorry but I only have 2 hands, and its a 2 hand job. You have to get the springs off the little notch in the center boss. I did it by sort of twisting the spring upwards at the blade side ... that rotated it off the pegs and freed it ... I'll try to get a photo of it when I do blade #2 ... (BTW - It pays to be careful ... there's plastic here too :) )

Then, using the cut-off ends as templates, cut new notches and ends with the Dremel. Rat-tail files also work for this ... BUT before you do start cutting ... remember ... the notches for the end-caps go on the same side of the spring as the notches for the center boss (almost an OOPs there !!!! )

Here's the finished set ready for reassembly ... I put one spring and the blade into the center boss, used the same technique to replace the second spring (in reverse) that I used to remove the first spring duroing dismantling ...

.. and finally there ya are ... an 8 inch Aero-type flat wiper blade for my bug chopped windscreen ... Tadaaaaaaaa

----------
Old July 31st, 2011, 12:49 AM   #116
radiotrib
Forum Member

Had to get some parts and took far too long shopping so I ended up having a day in the house yesterday - Fortunately I had the butchered clock parts in hand so I continued with the crazy task of making a speedo into a rev counter ... Made 6 separate messes of the connection from the new gauge to the needle and Photoshopped endless dials until I got the size just right ...

Still not there though - I have to get the RPM more central to the 0 and 80 .... but it's coming along. At least I have the sizes sorted for the paper insert :)

(It's only laid on the body of the clock to lift it from the desktop. The pin is actually central when it's screwed together !! )

Back to bondo and door stuff today ...

----------
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:05 PM   #117
radiotrib
Forum Member

Lots of bondo that ain't worth showing ... and I got the driver-side door sill sorted ... By close of business my phone battery ran flat, but I have the sills almost bondo'd flat now too ...

I can almost smell the end of the bondo !!!

----------
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #118
radiotrib
Forum Member

EEEEEEE ... POXY .......

----------
Old August 21st, 2011, 07:48 AM   #119
radiotrib
Forum Member

HI-BUILD TODAY !!!! Inside AND out !!!

At this rate it might even be in its base coat by the end of next weekend (assuming I can afford to buy the paint that is ...)

----------
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:11 AM   #120
radiotrib
Forum Member

Woooooo ... BLACK! ... cruddy photo but it's my first patch of base coat !!!

OTOH - Mini disaster too ... Part way through spraying seal onto the bonnet the bloody hook gave way and the bonnet lid fell on the floor scraping all the paint and almost ending up in the water !! ... Noe I have to completely redo the lid ... and for that I have to buy more primer and stopper and .. aww bugger :(

----------
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #121
radiotrib
Forum Member

Today I definitely feel a step closer :) ...

........ BLACK! ........ ALL OVER ....... YAAAAY !!

It's only base coat, but I'm on a roll right now :) ...

Ain't it a buger though, how semi-gloss base coat shows up all the poor surface prepp you didn't see when you flatted down the primer layers ... grrr ...

Ah well - 2 coats of 2K clear on top of this, and then 2 day's rest for the paint, and I'll be ready to wet sand it all with 400 and 800 to get the blemishes and scratched flat ready for the trick stuff ...

only maybe another 3-4 weekends and it's a done body for better or worse ... :)

----------
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #122
radiotrib
Forum Member

Hmmmmm ... not good but good enough for flatting down ready for the next set of coats ....

----------
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #123
radiotrib
Forum Member

I think I might be getting my technique back after all these years ... It's getting better anyway ...

Pity I have to practice on the real thing ... I can't afford to waste the paint on old panels :)

----------
Old August 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #124
radiotrib
Forum Member

Yep I'm getting there I think ... Spent all weekend in the rain wet sanding the body with 400 and 800 to get rid of the bulk of the orange peel, and re-did one of the doors as well as that hood in the previous picture ...

The finish is improving with every pot of paint | mix ... Here's another of the hood .. Self-portrait in black :). ...

the door had a couple of spots of some sort of solvent reaction ...

other than that I liked the way the pots on the shelf reflected in the surface of the paint .... and YES .. that's the sum total of the sophistication at my disposal .. a knackered old table to stand things on to spray them :)

Still ... the finish wasn't too bad ... Here's another self-portrait, this time in the door panel.

As of now I'm definitely into experimental territory with the paint ... so no more photos for a while ... at least until I get my head and ideas together ...

----------
Old August 30th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #125
radiotrib
Forum Member

Got colour !!! only inside, and the video looks artificial because I'm using an inspection lamp and it's shining straight onto the flat surface of the dash, but it may give some idea of where I'm going ...

Blood Red Candy over Black Pearl and Silver Cristal Mica Flakes

----------