Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,636
Threads: 31,716
Total Online: 66

Newest Member: EN1 Ski

Latest Threads
- by sandman

Old June 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #151
radiotrib
Forum Member

Default Re: Two Virgins and a Sawzall

Started work on the rear fenders again today ... I think I got the support sorted ...

Here's how it fixes to the solid stuff ... brake caliper bolts for front-to back stability, and the spring-plate retaining bolt for side-to-side stability ...

At the top I put a braced plate of 50x3mm strip to give me somewhere to attach the support gussets ...

Inside the fender itself I fastened 10x10x1 mm box section and then added 3mm steel support gussets.

I still have to cut out and fasten in the gussets for the other supports, but it already stands up for itself and is pretty solid ... even just on the middle leg ...

My Intro/Build Journal - Two Virgins and a Sawzall
----------
You can't build a car with a cheque book
radiotrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #152
radiotrib
Forum Member

Today I faired in the gaping gap between the support and the fender to make it all look cleaner ,,,

... then did the others side 100% ...

no pics .. it's getting boring. but ...

summer's here and it really wouldn't be summer without a whole new lot of distorted metal to play with, so it looks like its gonna be bondo hell yet again this summer ...

... just this time on the fenders

----------
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #153
radiotrib
Forum Member

Still working on the fenders ... got them fettled and into primer today ... still undecided about the colour

Part of me wants to do them the same as the body and with mini flames
Part of me wants to do them plain gloss black to match the wheels
and there's even a tiny voice wisperin 'matte black' into my left ear ...

also got the raw paint onto a BMW R75 cafe racer's plastic bits for a friend ... I'll post a photo when the bike's done.

----------
Old June 17th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #154
radiotrib
Forum Member

Carried on with the rear fenders today ... finished fettling and another coat of primer, then base coat black ...

Then it was decision time .. what to do ... satin black? red over black pearl? ghost flames? ... In the end it just kinda happened ... I didn't really have a lot of choice ... the paint did it by itself :) ... here they are ready for clear coating in a couple of days once they're hardened.

... no ghost flames .. I think I may go for a simple long thin flame patterm on each front fender to match the hood, but the rear fenders are staying clean like the rest of the body.

Once that was done and the fenders were hanging up to dry I got on with the front fender support ... 3mm plates to the upper ball and the track rod end and a braced 15mm box to support the fender. Needs cleaning up but here's the first dry run.

The fender itself has a 10mm box section side bar which will be attached to the 15mm upright with a solid plate, but i can't do that 'till the drums are drilled and the wire wheels are re-mounted, because the offset is different from the standard 4-stud wheels I've got on right now.

----------
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #155
radiotrib
Forum Member

Ten days visiting England and I'm already drifting off the front page ... dammit the world works too quickly for us old geezers !!

:) ...

Anyway ... I wasn't slacking while I was there ...

1 - Picked up a full Porsche 944 handbrake cable set to marry the rear brakes to the Willwood lever ( http://www.clubautosport.co.uk/porsche_944_page.htm do good prices )

2 - Picked up a set of hole cutters for the dashboard cutting ( http://www.cromwell.co.uk/quicksearc...=Q-max&x=0&y=0 Cromwell does a nice price on Q-Max cutters)

3 - Got me a battery box delivered from e-bay ... http://www.ebay.nl/itm/400275064053?...84.m1497.l2649

anbd 4 ... Paul (mester-d) did some of his engineering magic on my front brake drums ...

If you've been following this thread you'll know the ins and outs, the ups and down I've gone though with trying to get the vintage Ford wires to work on the front of the J-Bug. I finally decided that the only way forward would be to either scrap the wheels, or go back to drums and get someone to risk drilling them for me ...

Paul came up with the answer at less than half the price I was originally quoted ... Here's what he did ... and don't even begin to think this is a simple job ... 130x4 to 5.5inch x 5 is a beeotch !!

First he plugged hole #1 of the 130x4 PCD and welded the plug in place ... then re-drilled it for a PCD of 139.7mm .. the other four holes are not so hard after that ...

Then, for security, he tapped the holes, spot-faced the inner drum surfaces, and drove in big headed studs to support the wheel ,,,

... and as you can see above ... it all fits nicely ... which meant I could mount the hubs and get on with the front fenders ...

I posted the detail photos in case anyone wants to use the ideas for their fender supports .. it's pretty solid !!!

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; July 6th, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old July 21st, 2012, 01:30 AM   #156
radiotrib
Forum Member

I GOT A HANDBRAKE !!! and it works ...

Apart from the Willwood lever it's all original, unmodified Porsche 944. It was a real teaser trying to work out how the cables are fitted and fixed, but I fabricated some support brackets for the outer cable ends, and I got there in the end ... it really works well - good and strong :) Not much in the way of photos .. who wants to see jumbles of pipe and stuff ?? .. but here it is anyway ...

Did lots of other fiddly stuff like fitting the new ally battery box, running the pipes for the air shocks, generally tidying up of the pipe runs, blah blah, but apart from getting a pair of rear, lower shock mounts machined up, I think I'm ready to sign off on the chassis mechanicals.

Now I can strip all the bits off the chassis again, make the lower seat belt mounts for the lap part of the 4 point harness, and rustproof and soundproof it all, and put it back together again ready for the body to be dropped on and the engine slotted in ...

... oh ... and I still have to work out a sensible throttle connection from the new pedal tree to the engine !!

If there hadn't been so many birthday parties in the last 2 weeks I might have been able to do more :) ...

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; July 21st, 2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:21 PM   #157
radiotrib
Forum Member

Spent the entire day cutting tails off the wiring loom and soldering them to the bits at the other end like lights etc. so I know what fits where when I connect it all up ...

boring .. but still worthwhile ...

----------
Old July 28th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #158
radiotrib
Forum Member

Seems like I didn't do a lot in "real" terms ... but things are moving forward nicely ... First thing today was to empty the front-end and dynamat it to dull the vibrations ... not real dynamat - just flashband, but it's ace stuff ... clank is now thump ...

Then I finally bit the bullet and did the other bits of the dashboard ... Clocks, lights and switches are finally in place ... suspension air gauges tomorrow ...

I really do think that all that time building a "genuine" VW bug rev counter was worth the effort for the final effect ...

Funny eh ... nobody will ever notice unless they're `in the drivers seat .. but it WILL feel right for me ... and that's what matters ... :)

I also fitted the fuel level switch in the tank to make sure I get a warning when the tank is < 1/4 full and a few other "invisible" bits ... and I'm back to the boatshed tomorrow :) ...

life is good !!!

----------
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:17 PM   #159
radiotrib
Forum Member

... and this week ...

Almost got the whole of the controls and dash wired up. All I have left to do is the indicator switch and horn button to finish. After that it's all just connecting the other end of the wires to the peripherals ... and that has to wait until the body goes back on and the engine goes in ... in about 2 weeks time.

----------
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #160
radiotrib
Forum Member

Control and dashboard wiring all done, pneumatics all plumbed up, seat belt anchorages sorted, chassis and inner/under body rustproofed again where I've drilled and scratched through over the past 2 years, drop spindles fitted on the front ... getting onto the home straight I think ...

The drop spindles plus full twist on the axle adjusters gives me 1.5 inch ground clearance at the sway-bar and the air shocks give me 3 inches of adjustment up from there ... good enough for Holland ...

Body on/engine in happens on Saturday 18th. The front window glass may be back home by then too ...

Before then I have to finish doing the dynamat on the interior and floor pans, work out how to make a nice practical throttle connection and clean up the shed looks like it'ds had a visit from a small tornado)

Once he body is on, it's all down to connecting everything up, testing it, and rolling it down to the test station for its roadworthiness inspection !!! oh ... and upholstery/carpets of course, but I think that's going to have to wait for some budget ...

----------
Old August 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #161
radiotrib
Forum Member

Got the RX10 onto the underchassis ...

and finished the RX5 on the underside of the body shell ... then I Turned KLANK into clunk all over the body shell ...

Gotta love flashband ... 20% of the cost of dynamat and just as effective ....

I also managed to get the throttle cable routing sorted out from the new location of the willwood pedals so now I've got the cable to point in the right direction with no snags ... more on that later ... once I have it done and written up .. tomorrow have the bike bits from hell to finish and next week the shed to tidy up ... then it's ...

PARTY TIME !!!!!!

----------
Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:01 AM   #162
radiotrib
Forum Member

The body went on for the final time 2 weeks ago ...

Since then I've been wiring, fitting bit's 'n'pieces etc ...

The air has a problem. One of the joints I made to mate the Gabriels at the rear to the Armstrongs at the front was leaking a lot, so it's back to finding another way of making the joint ...

Meanwhile this weekend I ...

- tidied the wiring on the front end,
- made a bracket for the fuel pump,
- did a bit more on the oil-cooler hump,
- wired in the entire engine and seat belt life support systems,
- fabricated some tubular nuts for the bottom of the headlights (I couldn't get a spanner into the light bracket to adjust the light position ... doh !)
- tried to bleed the brakes and failed - rear has a split hose from the body lift-on and the fronts are bunged up.
- and then !!! ...

The Doc came round and we swapped out the throttle linkage for a new one, re-routed the throttle cable, and ran up the engine to see if the alternator worked ... I tried to get a better recording by standing further back .. not a lot better, but a bit better anyway ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NAY1RwzaxE

BTW - that wasn't 5K it was more like 4.5 ... and while the doc was revving he was looking inside ... checking out my 'Genuine" 1962 Beetle Rev Counter to see if it was accurate vs. his well-tuned ears ...

YES .. IT WORKS !! ...

after all the frikking around, mechanical mistreatment, and general Heath Robinson approach to the engineering, I never expected it ... but ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLQqDhdON00

YAAAAAAAY !!!

My wife is going to hate this car with a passion ... its sound soooo "VROOM" inside ... heavy and loud ...

----------
Old September 12th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #163
radiotrib
Forum Member

Got the rear suspension done (though it may need dialling in once it's settled a bit)

Got all the wiring finally finished off ...

I might have to to cut open and re-weld the heater channel on one side ... 3 of the captive nuts pulled through when I put the body back on top ... gonna try rivnuts and see if they will fill the holes, but otherwise I'll have to open up from inside and bolt through ...

Oil fan thermostatic switch arrived today .. ... I can finally do the last work on fitting and fixing the lid of the hump

Windscreen was broken by the monkeys at the glass cutters ... got another one on order and found a new cutters

Need to reset the wipers to park 180 degrees out of phase

Tape up the exhaust

Fit the door seals

Final cut and polish ...

except for upholstery, carpet and trim panels ...I think I've finally run out of jobs ...

OOO errr ... I'm crapping myself .. I'm gonna have to drive the damn thing soon !!!

----------
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #164
radiotrib
Forum Member

The windscreen is finally done by another (good) glass cutter for $30 .. not bad ... so that's going in at the weekend and a final walk over with a torque wrench ...

so apart from the windscreen I think it's ready for the first attempt at the APK ...

Apart from the routine fixing I wanted to be sure it could climb onto the test bridge .. so I had to test the air ... that involved driving it forward and backward a few meters while I adjusted the air ... to get the suspension settled ...

Here's the gassing in pictures ...

ass up ... ( 5 bars on the gabriels)

and down (10psi)

about 2 " difference overall .. I decided to raise the rear a notch because the fenders were fouling the body and to my eyes the raise made the whole thing work ... eh ?? This pic is totally down and the fenders fit beautifully ... talk about luck !!!

Front end = armstrongs ... Gassed up

and gassed down ...

Looks good to me !!! I'm gonna roll it :)

----------
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:32 AM   #165
radiotrib
Forum Member

Back on the job at last :) ... I found out why the first window broke I think ... there was indeed an irregularity in the mounting flange where I'd welded in the new piece to widen the roof ... not easy to see but ...

So I straightened it out and ground a bit off, fitted the new window and the new rubber and all in a so much faster tine than the last attempt ... Hell I didn't even have to wait couple of days for it to break even ...

This time just my own clumsiness !!

So I settled down to rewrapping the exhaust and went home ...

Stealth vroom !!!

----------
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #166
radiotrib
Forum Member

First test is done - it failed ...

The engineer at the test station was extremely complementary but ended up not being prepared to make the final decision without help so he called his boos and sent photos to him ... and then he called the district examiner who goes round making sure the testers are doing their jobs correctly ... he described everything to them in detail including how amazing he thought the car was ... and they said OK ... as long as the advisories get fixed ... it's a pass .... !!! WOOOOOO !!!

So now I have to fit the new windscreen, add a couple of reflectors (doh ... forgot them completely) and the only mechanical issue ... sort out why one front brake is hardly pulling on at all ... My bet is that there's either air in the system, a blocked/seized brake cylinder or a blocked hose/pipe .... not a biggie either way ...

Drove it home and took a speed bump too quickly ... grunged the rear fender into the bodywork and bent the bracket ... so another little "strip and weld" job to do as well ... I think I'm going to box the bracket in 3mm thick-wall, 22mm box section around the obvious weak point. I'll do it on both sides. If the body gets a big dent where the fender hits it ... fine ... if it gets too bad I'll tub the rear :)

----------
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:37 AM   #167
radiotrib
Forum Member

STREET LEGAL !!

----------
Old November 25th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #168
radiotrib
Forum Member

No comment !!! ... Crank up da volume !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYQFIUkonqA

----------
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #169
radiotrib
Forum Member

Legally standing on a Dutch road !!! ... After 3 years of cut, weld, drive, blood, sweat, tears, freezing and roasting in a wooden shed with no sophisticated tools, not even a bench and vise ...

at last ... He lives ...

These photos are dedicated to all those Dutch tire kickers and know-it-alls who insisted that it couldn't be done within the law ...

eat this !! ...

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; December 9th, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old April 19th, 2014, 02:41 AM   #170
radiotrib
Forum Member

Well it's time I started doing a bit of work on the J-Bug if I'm going to run it at all in 2014 ... So the first priorities are to fit the gearbox mid-mount in preparation for the extra horsepower to come and clean up the engine ready to fit this ...

And here's the master .. Flowmaster Dread Zorst himself .. Mike Beelzeub in action !!

Thanks Mike .. it's now safe at home but it won't be going on the J until he's had a steam clean, a couple of tiny oil leaks found and fixed, and the gearbox mid-mount fitted ... then photos and a video of the installation in situ ...

BTW if anyone is interested, Mike builds race car and classic car exhausts for a living and loves to build hot rod, bug and buggy exhausts for fun (and extra income) ... You can find a small selection of his work here ... Home - VINTAGE VOLKSHAUS

After these bits are sorted I have my eye on a pair of 36 Webers and a wet nitrous kit, and I need to redesign/replace the door handles ...

... and If I can find the time I need to re-skin the driver's door and rear quarter to get rid of some seriously shitty welding :) ...

So it looks like the old build thread is about to come alive again :)

----------
Old June 1st, 2014, 02:12 PM   #171
radiotrib
Forum Member

And finally I got my ass in order and fitted that zorst ... It tucks in really tight and clears the ground by an additional 3-4 inches compared with the previous one !! I'll start it up once I sort out my little wiring problem :)

Also fitted a gearbox cross-member (third bearing) to stiffen up the whole thing in preparation for a little extra idea I had recently ... more on that some other time :)

----------