Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,717
Threads: 32,305
Total Online: 457

Newest Member: greyeage9099

Latest Threads
- by horshak

Old October 30th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #1
VWman00
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default VWman intro

Hello apperantly if i make an intro people will like me better. Probly not but thats ok. My name is Tom I live in indianapolis IN. Where it is either raining or snowing and the chuck holes will eat your car and still have room for another. I have three beetles my first a 63 that i bought 12 years ago now.It has been completly taken apart since about two weeks after i bought it in preperation for a complete rebuild. Life got in the way of the as well as a few other projects that have since been sold or cut up and scraped. My next is a 1970 beetle that was my dads it has been under a tarp or in a barn since i was about 5. So I am not sure what shape it is in. But when i get to that car i have a 383 small block that i think will fit nicely in there. With the help of my torch and welder. My current project car is my 73 superbeetle. I am going for the german look kinda. I dont ever seem to get anything exactly in the lines. I have already lowered it striped all the chrome off and am getting ready to weld up all the holes respray it orange and all the chrome that cannot be taken off will be sprayed black. Cannot decide if i want flat or gloss though.
Currently i have no job but was a mechanic on street cars for a few years then ended up painting Indy cars for about 4 years then became a mechanic on them for the last two years. Not really sure if i want to stay in racing or go back to street cars.
Thats about all i got. i am married no kids just spend most my time working if it is not on cars then it is on my 100+ year old house. Old stuff is kool.
Any questions let me know i do belong to Circle City Volkswagen Club but they are purists for the most part so i dont think i really fit in there. Glad to have found this place!

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28623
VWman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #2
VWman00
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: VWman intro

the 63 came home today there r a lot of parts
i took this car apart 12years ago now so hopefully it does not take me that long to go back together. o and the 73 started today needs the valves adjusted and an alignment then start driving and working on the 63
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63body.JPG (185.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 63home.JPG (172.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 63tparts.JPG (172.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 63trparts.JPG (182.5 KB, 15 views)

Old November 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #3
VWman00
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Just spent the last two hours welding and grinding on the 73 super . Filled in all the hole for the chrome trim and two holes on the left rear fender.(not sure what they were for but they are no more) Since welding on paint tends to catch it on fire and bubble it I have decided to go ahead and paint the car. Why not right just because it was close to driving doesn't mean go ahead and drive it nope take it apart some more and drive it later. Haven't really got a lot done but having a second bug staring at you is kinda motivating. Tomorrow going to strip all the lights and bumpers off finish filling a few hole then bust out the D/A. I'm gonna wear ear plugs for that the ringing hasn't quit yet. I am almost 100% on going flat orange and black but i still have a while before that is needed.

Old November 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #4
VWman00
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Been sanding welding and grinding for two days now. Every time i turn around i find another giant rust pocket. O well here are some pics. I am committed now to far apart to turn back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00358.jpg (61.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00359.jpg (88.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00360.jpg (48.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00364.JPG (173.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00365.JPG (177.4 KB, 8 views)

Old December 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #5
VWman00
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

so now there are not to many parts left bolted together . took all the windows back out. doors are off driver door got flipped back in the wind at some point and messed up the door jam. so had my pops help put it back i think the door is to far gone so i am looking for a replacement. some the paint schema at this time will be shiny orange with flat black fenders and running boards. i am thinking of painting the wheels and hub cap black as well. goal it primer before the first of the year. got some more rust to chase and some dents to fix so should be able to reach my goal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allapart.JPG (136.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg jamrepair.JPG (106.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg rrfix.JPG (79.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg trunkrust.JPG (138.2 KB, 5 views)

Old December 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #6
VWman00
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

hurray goal reached car is primered and it is not the first yet

so i haven't said anything in a while so here is what i have been up to. Got a set of doors off a 70. they are in better shape but still need work.fixed all the rust i could get to and see included three patch panels no to bad.now the main body is in primer so i will start working on the doors and lids. fenders and running boards will be last since they will be a different color. not a lot of progress but finally got some visual progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg primer.JPG (119.3 KB, 6 views)

Old January 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #7
VWman00
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

OK here is what i want my car to look like when it grows up.
Picture by John Jaranson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OrangeBug1.jpg (135.0 KB, 3 views)

Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:38 PM   #8
VWman00
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well i haven't done any with my bugs lately
stupid job

but i have been building cars fender less none the less
the flat black one was for a test in sebring. i tried to get them to let me put some red pin striping on it but was told no
the shiny yellow one was for the test in barber
i am just a helper on the 67 car but my car the 66 car went to paint today to get ready for the test in Kansas in April
so at least i am still playing with cars just not ones i get to drive.
Hopefully soon i will have a few before and after pics of the kitchen and then back to the super with hopes of driving in may but well see ah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67racecar.JPG (130.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg flatblkracecar.JPG (128.2 KB, 2 views)

Old January 30th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #9
VWman00
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

OK well it has been quite some time since i have updated my progress.There is a reason for this there has been no progress in over a year. Life can be such a pain in the ass. But i have come to the realization that it has been 15 years since i took my first car apart and i have yet to get one of my own back together. So I now give my self 1 more year. If i do not have the super painted and running by my 30th birthday i am going to sell all projects as is and become a spectator for a few years or so . Just thought i would add this in in case anyone was watching my progress they know whats going on. If i don't get it done there will be a great sale come Feb of next year