Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM   #1
KdFmangler
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default need info about jesse james pizza hut vw

i know this is alittle off topic or vr but i would like to find out more info on the chassis , engine and trans in jesse james pizza hut baja vw. it doesnt have to be his spicific car but just that type of car at that level of suspension travel. i would love to build a baja like this for the street and some off road . i have googled on the net but not found out much. any info or web sites would be appreciated.drew
http://www.droppedaxleproductions.co.../DAPindex.html
KdFmangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM   #2
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: need info about jesse james pizza hut vw

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803812
seems to be alot of links in this thread.

maybe one of the 4x4 ones will help?

btw~ I googled "jesse james' baja bug", you may find more that way.
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM   #3
kbwakesk8
Forum Member

www.race-desert.com
look in there forums
or shoptalkforums.com offroad section
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM   #4
badboyzkustumz
Forum Member

pirate 4x4 has a lot of tech on off road bugs. the crap part is a lot of those guys are DICKS on that board and will be very hard up on sharing info with new guys. the jesse james bug actually races in various off road stuff so finding specific specs on it will be hard right now because they probably dont want to spill the beans on what they are using.
badboyzkustumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:05 PM   #5
KdFmangler
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

i used to be on the 4x4 pirate forum back when i used to rock crawl with a toyota 4runner . they are not friendly and rock crawler are partly the reason i decide to get out and build something cool i could drive on the street. hot rods and volkswagens. i would like to build a killer baja with massive suspention travel . maybe a few steps above just a link pin front end . i like how jesses car is set up in the fron. i just dont know if it is all custom or someone makes parts or chassis. i would like to make my own by i would have to see one up close and ther are not alot of desert racer in cincinnati ohio. haha.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:10 PM   #6
mkparker
Forum Member

It'll have a lot in common with this one:

Streamline Baja

Completely custom chromoly tube chassis, LS1 V8, etc. etc. I'm guessin' around $120K

Couple of shots of the Pizza Hut Baja

Do a google search for Class 5 Baja for race versions.

There are a lot of pics in this thread on Dezert Rangers

Save yourself time and money and just buy Bugzilla off the Samba.

Lots of Bajas being built on the Samba offroad forum.

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM   #7
badboyzkustumz
Forum Member

there are a lot of companies here in socal that have a wide range of parts to beef up your baja. being as that you are in ohio you are required to run fenders but other than the sky is the limit as far as how big and bad you want to build it.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:48 PM   #8
mkparker
Forum Member

Yeah....

Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM   #9
KdFmangler
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

we dont have to run fenders hear. i have had a few hiboy and no problems . now on the baja. i am talking about not spending that kind of money or even ls1 engine. i just think it would be neat to desugn and build your own fron end with super long control arms for killer travel. it would be for off road but driven on the street. i live less that twp miles from my dads shop so even if it was kinda radical it be no problem. maybe a built subaru engine or inline 4 . ls1 is to much for me . i propabily can afford the king coil overs for all four corners.haha
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM   #10
kbwakesk8
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdFmangler View Post
we dont have to run fenders hear. i have had a few hiboy and no problems . now on the baja. i am talking about not spending that kind of money or even ls1 engine. i just think it would be neat to desugn and build your own fron end with super long control arms for killer travel. it would be for off road but driven on the street. i live less that twp miles from my dads shop so even if it was kinda radical it be no problem. maybe a built subaru engine or inline 4 . ls1 is to much for me . i propabily can afford the king coil overs for all four corners.haha
a-arm.com makes a bolt on a arm kit
run some foa shocks and some 4x5 rear arms and go for it
Im in a baja car club socalbajas.com

Im building an a arm car my self.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM   #11
mkparker
Forum Member

Check out some of the Bajas, like kbwakesk8's, on the Samba offroad forum. There are a lot of great ideas there....some turds too, but lots of goodies that are much more budget friendly. For a mostly street Baja, a widened long travel beam looks really good and is much easier to pull off on a budget. LS1s out of a wrecked Vette are cheaper than "built up" Subies these days. But then there's the $8,000 to $10,000 transaxle ya need to buy and on and on.... Racedezert, that is posted above, has a nice build section also, you just have to sort through all the trucks and such.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM   #12
badboyzkustumz
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdFmangler View Post
we dont have to run fenders hear.
im from ohio. state law requires you to have the same safety standards that were stock on the vehicle. this includes fenders, seat belts, bumpers, so forth. most cops wont care. but if you build a tube framed chassis and use a spare bug body on said chassis the vehicle needs to be registered as a new vehicle. that being said it needs a brake and safety inspection, during which if you dont have fenders you fail. ask me how i know.
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #13
mkparker
Forum Member

Oh just buy one of these. You know you want it and you deserve it!!

Click pic for more info.

Yes, officer those are fenders!!

Old November 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #14
KdFmangler
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

man that front a arm set up is exactly what i was thinking of building . i like it. i see alot of people go to the samba. i dont like the samba because people over there seam like natzis ( pun intended). they just seam to up tight. i dont know.
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #15
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

most of the car laws in Ohio depend on where your at, and how you drive it, and as far as fenders go, i have read the ORC, i have called the state patrol and asked, the reason they dont stop most old street rods or hi boys and cars like that is they are only driven a few times a year, and the newer the car the more safety stuff added and the car has to have everything it came from the factory with

as far as registering a car that you built has nothing to do with safety features, you just need all receipts from everything you bought, and if you buy something from a person rather than a business then you need to have that person write out a receipt and then get it notarized, yes you do need a few things - hi beam headlight indicator lite, brakes on all 4 wheels (no steering brakes) turn signals front and rear, and a horn, yeah mount fenders on it for inspection, you can always remove them later

I know all this from when i was getting my rail street legal, the main thing they look for is that nothing is stolen, that is why you need all receipts, and if you make parts yourself, then you will need the receipt for the material you used, they are more picky about that than safety equipment, if you pass then they issue a VIN and you can name the car whatever you want to, just like a kit car, it will be whatever year the VIN is issued, so if i go tomorrow to get my car inspected it will be a 2009 and i can call my car whatever i want, kinda like this - MAKE- Ronnie's Rail, MODEL- Bug Stomper

give the state troopers a call and ask them, or maybe it's the county police that do the inspection and issue the VIN, just call the BMV and ask them, they will give you the number or tell who to call, thats how i figured it out

it has been years since going thru all this, I never did get mine ok'd because i bought the chassis for my rail from a guy I worked with and he moved and i was never able to find him to get a receipt for the chassis, so i just drove it as a 74 VW Bug that i had the floor pan with the VIN # stamped in it and VIN # off the dash, I only got stopped 1 time in the 3 years i drove it on the street and that was so the police officer could look at it, he was a fellow off roader, the one thing is, rails dont have fenders, I asked the police man that stopped me and he said he really didnt know about that law, but he could write me a ticket for no bumpers, I was just glad he didnt run the VIN # because it would have come back as a 74 VW and i may have had my rail impounded until i got that all straightend out, which still wouldnt be possible unless the guy i got the chassis from would happen to stop by and surprise me

like i said, just call the BMV where you get your registration renewed, they will tell you who to call to get a vehical titled and registered, just tell them it's a custom build or a kit car

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #16
mkparker
Forum Member

Quote:
i dont like the samba because people over there seam like natzis ( pun intended). they just seam to up tight.
The offroad forum over there is pretty good. When you're cuttin' up cars for offroad, purists pretty much stay away.

Old November 5th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #17
kbwakesk8
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkparker View Post
The offroad forum over there is pretty good. When you're cuttin' up cars for offroad, purists pretty much stay away.
Yep we love cuttin stuff up.
Old November 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #18
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkparker View Post
I agree, I only frequent the off-road and buggy forums, where it's a given that old VW's are being cut up, and the classified pages. Lots of guys in both do know their shit. well, and the abortions thread, since it's actually full of some pretty cool cars the purists hate, which makes them all the more cool.
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #19
ratlook63
Forum Member

I agree, I check those forums and the split forum out regularly, alot of assholes, but alot of good info if you search, no need to even post!

If you make it to beer 6 without cutting anything you need to be doing something else." - MrChainsaw

Wanted:
Split tail lights. Repop ok!
Split dash pods or measurements to make my own. Repop ok!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/safetynautguaranteed
ratlook63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM   #20
truggy1
Forum Member

The Baja Shop originally built the pizza hut baja and a few like it check out there website they have a really nice black one i posted a pic. www.bajashopmotorsports.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic122.jpg (69.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Pic117.jpg (84.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Pic119.jpg (80.8 KB, 4 views)
truggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:06 AM   #21
KdFmangler
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

truggy1 thanks for the link. has anyone seen the video of jesse driving the pizza hut car when if was first finsihed . he rolls out about 20 25mph and just nails it . it spands up fron wheels about 1 1/2' off the ground . these thing must have killer hp with those ls1.