- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old December 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM   #1
florida_swamp_buggy
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default buggies for babies?
Re:: i want to start something big!   

hey i was wondering if all you guys that live in or around florida would be willing to hold a new anual event next summer i want to call it buggies for babies and see how many aircooled cars we can get to do the run i was thinking jacksonville to daytona and give as large a contribution to the shriners hospitol as we can. my inspiration is my nephew since birth he has needed a prostetic leg due to a rare birth defect and my sis has never paid a dime in medical for it due to the shriners and their good will. now he is big and strong and doing everyday regualr activeties due to these awsome people up there and i was wondering how many bugs and such i could get together for a good cause i was thinking the last weekend in july im hoping for 100 bugs and busses anything aircooled with wheels really. just reply to this thread if you'd be interested
Old December 21st, 2009, 10:34 PM   #2
cdscowboy
Forum Member

Default Re: buggies for babies?

I think that's a great idea! I'd be glad to contribute should it get going, though I won't be able to attend.

Go for it!

Build

www.99westcustoms.com
cdscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:10 AM   #3
bugroadster
Forum Member

i wont be able to attend but if the event is a go let us know when and i will send a donation as well
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:41 AM   #4
dt113
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugroadster View Post
i wont be able to attend but if the event is a go let us know when and i will send a donation as well
X2
dt113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:19 AM   #5
bluehormachea
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

my family and myself would love to attend. they will probably make me take them to disney, though. but whatever we can do, we would be interested. now that i have got me a good towbar it is definitely feesible. it sounds like a great idea. my family has been blessed by the shriners contributions and good will as well. i understand how trying to figure out some way to give back has come up this season. keep us posted!!!!
chris in SA
bluehormachea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:08 AM   #6
florida_swamp_buggy
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

cool cool tell all your friends im gonna try and see if i can get a local radio station to sponser it by advertising
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM   #7
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

If you plan on donating the proceeds to the shriners I would look into what it would take to set something up through them, they may even sponsor it and help set it up.

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:42 AM   #8
c1run1
Forum Member

Great Idea , i hope it works out for ya Keep us posted , even if you need advise or things to get it going i'm sure alot of us will help where ever we can .
77 dodge Chopped Morgan
2011 chevy HD
c1run1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM   #9
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have looked into putting on a VW show here in Florida (Gainesville to be exact). I am doing this with a friend but his business has really taken off so it is on hold right now. Anyway...

Get ahold of Sean (of Old City Oil Drippers, he's in your area) that puts on the local shows, he may be able to help you. Also get ahold of Joe (promotor of Daytona WinterJam) I would think running your cruise in conjunction with WinterJam would attract more people since a number of VWs would already be making that trip. This also gives people something to do instead of just a drive. Joe may or may not be up for the idea but it's worth a shot.

July in Florida in a VW is not the best idea. It is simply too hot for most people to drive any distance in a air-cooled VW. That has been an issue with us putting on our show. There are so many events during the good weather months that you have to be real careful scheduling near an established event or your first time event will probably flop.

Post up what you get together. I'll do the run if I have a driving VW at the time.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM   #10
florida_swamp_buggy
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdust View Post
I have looked into putting on a VW show here in Florida (Gainesville to be exact). I am doing this with a friend but his business has really taken off so it is on hold right now. Anyway...

Get ahold of Sean (of Old City Oil Drippers, he's in your area) that puts on the local shows, he may be able to help you. Also get ahold of Joe (promotor of Daytona WinterJam) I would think running your cruise in conjunction with WinterJam would attract more people since a number of VWs would already be making that trip. This also gives people something to do instead of just a drive. Joe may or may not be up for the idea but it's worth a shot.

July in Florida in a VW is not the best idea. It is simply too hot for most people to drive any distance in a air-cooled VW. That has been an issue with us putting on our show. There are so many events during the good weather months that you have to be real careful scheduling near an established event or your first time event will probably flop.

Post up what you get together. I'll do the run if I have a driving VW at the time.
yes thank you much for the advice i hadnt thoguht of that but its deffinately gonna be a problem with the heat maybe september or so would be better
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:27 AM   #11
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Definetly plan around other shows! My sister in law promotes/runs a show in NorCal called "Booze, Broads and Hot Rods" and she always plans it either a week or two before or after Viva Las Vegas.

That way there's already people planning on coming out that way, and she normally tries to get ahold of the bands that will play in Vegas so she can hire em to play BBHR too. haha the promotors of VLV get pissed because they pay the bands fair to come from wherever they are coming from and she only pays for them to come from Vegas ;)

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #12
Jon
Forum Member

There are Events all over Florida, Plan one as a trip to an event, and that way you'll have greater attendance, since people will already be planning for the event anyway. This way your not adding another event for people to plan around and they will me more likely to be able to...

You could also Auction or Raffle off some stuff to help raise money for it. Even if it's Junk parts people will bid or buy tickets. Get people to Donate ... I would offer but right now I am not sure about what I can afford. If i can do so I might try and donate a Go Kart Body.

Last edited by Jon; December 26th, 2009 at 09:51 PM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote