Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,086
Threads: 31,485
Total Online: 58

Newest Member: voxman

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by d3ghia
- by KrazyK

Old April 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Default Col. Klink

Figured I'd go ahead and put this out there for everyone to see.....

Servaying the damage....

Let the fun begin...

Into the shop....

That half assed attempt at rebuilding the rear has to go...

That'll do for now...
Old April 24th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Default Re: Col. Klink

Enough said...

Last edited by Ray-Dean; April 24th, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Ray-Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Since my last post, I have filled all the old bolt holes, screw holes, deep scratches, chips, and Klink is close to ready for primer.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Body work winding down, wheels ready to be shipped off for special treatment, gathering cash for the disc brake kits and to pay Walt for his services, paint selected... Just about ready to throw it all together.
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Over the past weeks and months, there have been a lot of decisions and alterations to the original plans for this. And it's time to get back to what was intended in the beginning. I will no longer be building it as a RHD. While the parts are not all that expensive, I have a dozen LHD steering boxes already on hand. I will also not be doing a disc brake conversion at this time. Also, the use of the 15x11 and 15x6 Ansen Sprints has gone by the wayside. The plan is to just get it up and running for the time being. I may go ahead in the future and do some if not all of these modifications.

The reasoning...?

This was being built as a way for our family to go camping and have just as much fun getting there as we do while we are there. I kind of lost sight of that along the way, as many of us do with our projects. Not that it wouldn't have been just as much fun with a RHD, British race inspired, street buggy. But it's the end of January... We'll be camping in another 2-3 months. If I'm gonna get this thing even close to being ready this year, all the "extras" will have to wait until next winter.

So that's how it is. Back to the shop.
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Started out the day by figuring up everything that still needs to be purchased for the buggy. $962.50 for all of it. That includes all new brakes front and rear (hard lines, soft lines, calipers, rotors, spindles, master cylinder, reservoir, and brake light switches), new suspension components front and rear (urethane bushings, thru rods, lowered ball joints, new tie rods and ends, and steering dampener), new trans mounts, clutch return spring, front and rear shocks, clutch, pressure plate, T/O bearing, wheels, tires, fender bead, and body to chassis seal. Basically everything that I need to get it on the road. I didn't figure in the windshield and lights yet. I have head lights that will be used, but not the tail lights and signals. I'm still up in the air on what I want to run. But there is still time to make those decisions.

So far today, I went out and swapped it back to LHD. I then installed the steering column and measured it to see how much to remove. I needed to shorten it by 7" so the steering wheel wasn't in my lap. I disassembled it, and removed the 7" piece. Then drilled two plug weld holes in each piece. Next, I inserted a piece of 5/8" bar stock 5.5" into each end, and welded plug welds and the seam. After letting it cool, I ground it smooth, and reassembled the column. We now have proper steering.

Next thing on the list is to make the mount for the column to the metal dash frame. I came in for more coffee and an empty cereal box. Now it's back to the shop for a little fab work.
Old January 29th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Look at that... Post # 7,000!!! and it's in the Intro section!!!

Anyway, got the steering column all squared away. Just a matter of taking some .825 OD .125 wall tubing and welding two pedestal mounts to the dash frame. It's looking almost drivable now.

While I'm gathering suspension parts, I might go ahead and build the dash. I've never been one for the ABS Manx dash. I could glass one up, but I'm not that great as fiberglass either. So I'll most likely make it out of metal. I can work with that. And it'll help with the to common ground issue that plagues most buggies.

Any hoo... It's Guss' birthday and we're going to dinner when Jamie gets home at 6:00, so I better get me and the boys in the shower.

Until next time.
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

As stated before, 10 grand in the hand!

It's now down to four grand though. But everything is paid off. So today I set about taking the old camping trailer apart. Why am I taking a camper apart and what does it have to do with progress on the buggy?

Welp... In the morning, I'm heading over to pick up the '86 Lincoln Town Car that I'm going to part out for the engine and trans that will go into the bucket.

Still not putting the pieces together?

I'll be pulling the body off the buggy so I can do the finish work on the pans. The body will be stored on the trailer. The Lincoln will need to be parked where the trailer is. The trailer will get pulled into the back yard, out of the way.

So you see, I need to take the trailer apart so I can work on the buggy. There are methods to my madness.
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

The camper is down to the floor. Time to take the buggy apart and remove the body.
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #10
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Got the Lincoln home. Had to swap the battery out with the one from my 3/4 ton to get it fired up and off the trailer, but it sounds good. And the guy was unclear on the year. It's not an '86... It's an '89. Either way, it will work for the bucket. And there are enough new (and still good) parts on it, that I will easily make my money back on it and then some.

Time to go to a birthday party. I'll mess around with the car later.
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Got tired of playing today and yesterday, so instead of gearing up for our next show, I went out and did a little work on the buggy. I got the left rear fender area all sanded and prepped for paint. I then got the rear seat area taken care of. I finally removed the Bondo patch that the P.O. did. It was over 1/2" thick, no glass, just the Bondo "gluing" the crack together. So with it all ground out, I applied several layers of glass, and then skim coated the rear seat compartment.

Just about time to flip the tub over and reinforce the under side of the fenders and the rear. Not that they are weak now, but I know that the boys will be climbing in and out of it. I'd rather plan for it now before it is finished than to have to do it later after it's been on the road for a while.
Old May 26th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #12
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

UPDATE:

I just placed the order for all the components needed to completely rebuild the front end. Minus the tires and wheels that is. I can get them last. Wouldn't want to fuck'em up while finishing up the rest of the work...
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #13
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

The suspension bits arrived Monday. Today I took a brake from the dash build and de-greased the beam. Then I went from a grinder with a knotted wire wheel, to a 3" wire wheel on a drill, to a toothbrush wire brush, to a green Scotchbrite pad. The beam is now ready for primer and sealer. I also took the trailing arms to work today and let them soak in the parts washer. Then after getting 37 years of road off them, I cleaned them to bare metal at the bench grinder. They too are ready for primer and sealer. Hope to be painting them sometime next week.
Old June 18th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #14
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Just went and checked last nights progress on the dash.... It's getting closer. While out there, I added a bit more glass to a few areas that were in need of it. For now, it's off to mom & pop's to stand trusses then deck their new gazebo. I'll get back to the dash later this afternoon.
Old June 19th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #15
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

The dash is glassed. I just need to let it sit to finish hardening the rest of the way. Then add a skim coat of filler to take care of any low spots.

Pics later tonight.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:42 AM   #16
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Realized I didn't put any pics in here of the beam...

As for yesterday while Steve was being a mean old bastard and kicking us kids out to play on a nice, hot, muggy summer day, I cleaned all the crap out of the buggy. Then I pulled the dash back out and "adjusted" it. I'm actually going to completely stray from the things that make this a Manx. I'm going to go ahead and attach the dash to the hood. It will make the hood sturdier and provide a better fit.

So today, I'm headed out to glass up the joint between the dash and the hood. I'm also going to fill the old fuel neck hole. I was never a fan of it sticking up in the air. So I'm running a late tank. This way I can locate the fuel cap on the passenger side up by the windshield.

To the shop......
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM   #17
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

The dash and the hood are now one complete piece. The fuel neck hole is filled. I just got more glass mat so I can finish the last few bits on the hood. And I got another can of mud to get all the little imperfection taken care of.

I've been taking pics all day as I go, so yes there will be pics up sometime soon. Just came in for some cool air and more ice water. Time to get back to it...
Old July 3rd, 2011, 01:26 AM   #18
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

4:30 in the morning and I'm still going on the dash/hood assembly. It is now approx. 80% ready for primer. I just needed to make a pot of coffee, so I'm taking a little break while it brews...
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #19
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

I haven't made an update here for a while now. Sorry about that. Here is what I have been up to (a continuation of my previous posts)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Dean
The dash and the hood are now one complete piece.
I did this a bit different than some would have, I know, what's new? I counter sunk stainless screws through the hood and into the metal dash frame.

I then, glassed the dash and hood together. I know, "Original Manx" buggies didn't do this, but let's face it, this is no longer an original Manx. So I did.

Quote:
The fuel neck hole is filled.
But before I filled the hole, I checked the fit of a late model tank and made sure that there was enough room to put the fill cap where I want it...

I think it will work out perfectly. So on to filling the old hole...

Quote:
I just got more glass mat so I can finish the last few bits on the hood. And I got another can of mud to get all the little imperfection taken care of.
And yes, there was a lot of filling and sanding, refilling and resanding... It takes a lot of patience to get things where I want them.

Quote:
4:30 in the morning and I'm still going on the dash/hood assembly. It is now approx. 80% ready for primer. I just needed to make a pot of coffee, so I'm taking a little break while it brews...
And after that all night sanding binge, I had this;

Which lead to this;

And now, after four hours of block sanding the 2K with 250 grit, my arms and back are tired. So I'm calling it quits for the night. We have a show tomorrow at 2:00 pm so I'm probably not going to mess with it any until tomorrow evening if I do anything to it at all.

As you can tell from the last couple of pics, I still need to block the dashboard. I just wanted to get the hood blocked tonight to see how the 43 year old 'glass job would turn out. I'll need to shoot another coat of 2K to get some areas "perfect", but it's smother that a few cars I've seem at shows. So I think I've done fairly well.

Good night.
Old July 10th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #20
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Time for the Poorboy Paint Booth to come down. I'll give the dash/hood assemble one last test fit, then it's time for the body to come off so I can finish the much needed work on the pans.

I need to fill a few holes in the tunnel, replace the clutch cable tube, install new floors, and take care of a few other minor issues. All this so I can get them sand blasted and painted. Then the real fun begins, final assembly!
Old November 4th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #21
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

In the last week, I have sorted out the body fitment issue, hung the tub from the rafters, shortened the pans another 3/4", and replaced the framehead.

Tonight, the boys and I cleaned the shop, pulled the rear tires, removed the rear trailing arms, set the chassis on saw horses, and flipped the chassis upside down.

In the next few days, we will be making a new pan edge, removing the old floors, and installing the new floors and pan edge. Then it will be time to get it all sand blasted and painted. Time to start ordering the remaining parts needed to get it on the road.
Old November 5th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #22
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Tonight, I got the bottom side of the framehead welded up. Then I started working on the New pan edge. I'm using 1"x1.5" 11 gauge tubing for thenew edge. With any luck, I'll be finished with it by the weekend. But watching my three boys and their cousin is killing me. I've had to stop working four times tonight to brake up arguments, fist fights, you name it. So I'm done until they go to bed or the cousin goes home.
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #23
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Pan edge time...

As ya'll know, I do shit different. Maybe right, maybe wrong, but it works for me. So here we go.

Started with two 6' pieces of 1"x1.5" 11 gauge tubing. Then I notched one end with a few funky ass cuts that I don't expect anyone to fully understand until the pieces are welded in place.

Second round of cuts... Yes, the magic number is ALWAYS 13.

Then cut three sides...

Then PULL the cuts together. DO NOT SPREAD THEM AND FILL WITH A TON OF WELD. You will create way to much heat and spend a shit pot load of time grinding all the welds you just made. Weld up the cuts...

It is a good idea to use a hefty piece of angle iron to keep the piece from pulling due to the heat. I use a 24" piece of 2"x2"x1/4" angle.

Then, after the welds are cool to the touch, grind it all pretty.

But don't grind so deep you weaken your welds. A dirty old man once told me that there are two instances where penetration is important and welding is one of them. Words to live by!

Now just repeat on the other side. No pics of that as it's the same process. I'll install them tomorrow night. Time to eat.
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #24
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

4:00 a.m. and I'm wide awake. Might as well head to the shop...
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #25
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

I didn't get to work on the pans tonight. Got a call from the P.D. saying that they had a broken post out at the gun range and they need it replaced before they hold firearm qualifications on Friday.

So that's where I spent the night. I got the old one out, but the headlights just weren't bright enough to keep going. I'll finish it up tomorrow night. Then it's back to the pans.