- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old May 21st, 2010, 05:10 PM   #1
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default ZimRod
Re:: roadster pick up baby!   

HERE'S a few pics I took of Zim's RPU today.

I don't know anything about front suspensions so feel free to chime in here on that. I didn't have much time to mess with it today but I did look it over and start on capping the doors. Zim told me I had free reign to do whatever I want to it so I'm going down Monday and putting it in my name.

No, but I'm going to get a few things worked out and fixed up. it has a little more rust than I hoped but for just a fun driver we can do some backyard bodywork on it and roll.

All I got done today.
I started on the right side but didn't take a before pic but it looked like this.

A few minutes later...

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean

Last edited by crack monkey; March 20th, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM   #2
detroit73super
Forum Member

Default Re: Zim's RPU

Sweet....I do not know much either about front suspensions that don't rhyme with slut this pic kinda caught my eye..

Good luck Zim and Bugdust...I'll expect to see it next year @ Winterjam...
detroit73super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM   #3
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

LOL yeah bugdust
Zim'rod (zim'-rod)n.- a handbuilt Volkswagen hotrod or jalopy, sometimes a pick-up, from several different years of the classic German automobile. In particular, 67', 69', 72', and 74' model years. Built from the realm of an insane mind, with a volksrod theme or style. Thank you bugdust.
Daily driver: 91' Cadillac Brougham.
AirheadZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:50 PM   #4
PureC4
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

[QUOTE=detroit73super;463148]Sweet....I do not know much either about front suspensions that don't rhyme with slut this pic kinda caught my eye..

That is SCARRY

We lust for what we want, and weep for what we need!
PureC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:00 PM   #5
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

OOPs clicked the wrong thing.... anyway, as soon as we got the RPU (lol) rolled into his shop, and the parts unloaded, he wasted no time. Got out his flair pen, triangle measuring device, some painted door scraps I had and started cutting, shaping and tacking. Funny thing about him, he talks to himself when he works so I made sure to listen and talk back so he wouldn't feel bad. We all know sometimes we listen to the voices in our heads and sometimes its wise to ignore them. In this case, I wanted to listen and learn, and I did. I was amazed with the efficient shop he had, alot of stuff but not alot of junk, well except for mine, which will soon be resurected. Yeah detroit, he called that semi-welded suspension bar to my attention, along with about 40 other things. Tomorrow I'm headed to Lowes to buy some supplies for the bugdust shop, and thank whatever god you may worship for the back-of-shop scrap pile. So I am looking forward to my next trip to his shop in a few days to help, to listen and learn, and provide moral support to his habitual talking while he works syndrome. Ohhhh and also....a case of Coke for his 1958 refrigerator lol.
Zim'rod (zim'-rod)n.- a handbuilt Volkswagen hotrod or jalopy, sometimes a pick-up, from several different years of the classic German automobile. In particular, 67', 69', 72', and 74' model years. Built from the realm of an insane mind, with a volksrod theme or style. Thank you bugdust.
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:41 PM   #6
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I'm not sure what I'm doing with that but I will check it out and do something to it when I get to that point. I went out to close up the shop and ended up starting to fill in the door top.

I have the kids tonight (wife working) so I had to come in. Plus, my 17 yr old has a couple friends over and they are hitting the guitars and drums pretty hard right now and it was drowning out my Led Zeppelin. Their practice shed is about 30' from my shop.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:01 AM   #7
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Just got done ordering parts from Chirco. For some reason they wouldn't let me use my Coalition discount, so I used the 10% new customer discount and I'll figure it out later. Ordered:
1. complete steel brake line kit
2. rear rubber brake hoses left & right
3. urethane shifter coupling kit
4. swing axle boots, red, pair
Total including shipping is $81.99. Since bugdust says my paint is junk and I need a repaint due to poor prep, I'm thinking of red with a black hood. Then kitty can do her artwork on it after its all done. Can red be a satin finish with no shine?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:31 PM   #8
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Went to tcglobal and looked the color chart for hotrodflatz paint. I really like #211, blood red. Read up a little on the product, and the quart kit mixes up with the other 2 parts to make 1.5 gallons. Thats probably 3-4 good coats. Is that gonna be enough for an old volksrod?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:08 PM   #9
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Cool.... the paint kit I'm talking about was only $52.95 plus shipping. Thats all I need. Well as of now, I need to pay a few bills before I spend anymore money. I did make it to Lowes today and bought a few things for bugdust. Todays purchase was:
1. DeWalt twisty cable wire wheel
2. DeWalt A60T metal cutting discs (4- bought 5 but keeping 1)
3. Elmers fiberglass resin w/ hardener (quart)
4. Elmers fiberglass cloth 4'x4' sheet
5. 2-natural 1" brushes
Total was $50.84. I'll also bring a case of Coke with me to restock ol' Nellie lol.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:17 PM   #10
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadZim View Post
Cool.... the paint kit I'm talking about was only $52.95 plus shipping. Thats all I need. Well as of now, I need to pay a few bills before I spend anymore money. I did make it to Lowes today and bought a few things for bugdust. Todays purchase was:
1. DeWalt twisty cable wire wheel
2. DeWalt A60T metal cutting discs (4- bought 5 but keeping 1)
3. Elmers fiberglass resin w/ hardener (quart)
4. Elmers fiberglass cloth 4'x4' sheet
5. 2-natural 1" brushes
Total was $50.84. I'll also bring a case of Coke with me to restock ol' Nellie lol.
Sweet. We'll need some body putty but it can wait. It's about $30 for 1/2 GAL. at the local O'Reilly's or you can go to a body shop supplier (one in Starke?) and maybe get something better? Like I said, no hurry on that yet. We have plenty to do before it's needed.

If you want to ride up tomorrow that's cool with me. make it early (8am) though because once it gets hot (noon) I'm done for the day.

Quote:
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:17 PM   #11
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

LOL well I kinda like the RPU thing.... I'm assuming it stands for RatPickUp.. or is it RustyPickUp.... RottedPurpleUnit. Anyway I showed my girl kitty the paint #211 HotRodFlatz Blood Red and she liked it as much as I did. I was wrong though, the quart kit makes 1-1/2 quarts of paint for $52.95 so I'll need 2 kits for 3 quarts? Still thats only $105.90 plus $15.00 shipping to paint her and that ain't bad.

Last edited by AirheadZim; May 22nd, 2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: messed up
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:08 AM   #12
trikertroy
Forum Member

Back when I was painting cars we used one step paint (not base coat/clear coat) . It took 3 qts to paint a stock beetle.. Base coat will go a lot further as you dont have to try for a shiny finish.. Thats what the clear coat is for..

Iv never used any modern flat style paint, but Ill bet it will cover easily and not use a lot of paint. And seeing that all you have is a hood, cowl and doors to cover, 1 kit should do the job with some left over.
trikertroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM   #13
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

LOL rosti.... after I got done with the floorboards today the pinholes turned to swiss cheese. I got the floorboards all cleaned out, then after raking the twisty wire wheel over my leg (the flesh one) bugdust got me some scaps of a sheet and some tape, I wrapped it up and learned my lesson about twisty wire wheels and their power. So I continued on the floorboards while bugdust welded all the holes left over from the missing side trim. Also located all the rivets the PO used to tack in a flimsy peice of floorboard and I drilled them out. We swept up about 5 lbs of rust from the garage floor. By then the heat was starting to get to us and we both had other stuff to do, it was about 11:30 so we worked close to 3 hours. Talked about plans for the car and how we're gonna do it, checked the new shocks to make sure they fit and they do. Anyway I got home about 1ish and kitty did first aid on my leg, after cleaning it up it's not near as bad as I thought, just a couple of scatch/scrapes. Bugdust is doing a SUPER job of filling the holes with metal and we have fun while we work so its all good.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:57 PM   #14
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostigbug View Post
howdy guys, I hadda' jump in W/ my 2c.
Homly depot has the cheapest bondo in Az @ 22$ a gallon
HD has flat white & flat black rustoleum @ 8$ a quart & you can mix it W/ other colors or tint it to get what you want
IDK 'bout glazing putty, I thought Zim was building a ratrod??
Who cares about pin holes? glazing putty is for purists
Who cares about pinholes when you are paintting it in the back yard.
I'll pretty much use whatever Zim brings out but I'm not a fan of bondo brand filler. I prefer a putty to a filler anyway. It comes in cans, not tubes, just like filler but is way easier to work with.

You can build yours however you want. This one will have a lot of compromises, rigged up junk and sub-standard work. It is a rat rod.

I made a new patch panel for the cab corner and bent it under then down.

Quote:
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #15
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

It's good news, bad news time.

It goes like this; curiosity got the better of me. I was sanding the left heater channel/ sill area to try to make it look a little better. As you may recall, the plan was to clean that area up a little and leave it alone. Well, cleaning it up left some loose edges so I "cleaned" them up a little and the metal looked good underneath. That's good news. So, I cleaned it up a little more and all of a sudden a large chunk of fiberglass and bondo came off.

That's bad news or good news, depends on how you look at it. I look at it as now we know what's under there (good) but more work for me (bad). There was some rust but not much in the door jamb (good) but the car has been hit pretty hard at some point so the heater channels is pushed in a good inch (bad).So, I broke out some of the fiberglass cloth and resin and started a couple of layers. The heater channel is pretty bad as it curves around by the vent (bad) but I can fix it (good).

dent still visible after first layer of 'glass

a layer or two of 'glass started

I didn't take many pics b/c I didn't want to mess up my wife's camera (mine got murdered). I do have automotive ADD so I will be jumping around quite a bit I'm sure, working on different areas as my mood strikes me.

Quote:
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #16
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Yeeeeah you damn right I like it. Mine is gonna look kinda sorta similar, but the low buck version of that one. Actually I'm glad I don't have all the $$$ he spent on that, cuz mine is gonna be all heart and soul of 2 people, what I can't afford bugdust and me will make do with what I can scrounge, and afford. Last night I bought (ebay) a little 500watt car stereo amp that has nothing but a on/off switch, a USB port and RCA plugs to hook up my iPod. Uses all the controls of the iPod, and it was only $16.00 shipped. Little sucker is only about 5" deep, 3" tall and 3" wide, I can hide it easily and velcro my iPod on the dash and hide the wires. I know MidAmerica sells radio delete panels I wonder if they have antenna delete plugs? If not we got one more hole to fill bugdust lol. All I'll need is some cheapo marine speakers in cabinets and my stereo will be all done for about $60.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #17
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Not much time to play today.

The heater channel is getting closer.

It still needs love on the front end and I noticed the firewall is soft.

The outer fenderwell is close.

I dabbed a little 'glass at the rear of the door jamb.

Zim, gonna need to pick up some more brushes, just some cheap one-time use ones from the dollar store. may pick up a couple cheap bowls while you're there...and a new pair of scissors. I sort of got resin on mine and then broke them trying to open them.

Quote:
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #18
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

OK. I've put a couple layers of 'glass on the heater channel but I don't like it. Here's the gap still

I just happen to have a section of heater channel so I might just cut out part of the old one and weld this in. We'll see.

The front quarter is looking good, almost ready for filler.

and I found these if you want to use them

Quote:
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:26 AM   #19
Jon
Forum Member

That crap in a can known as great stuff sucks. Once Polyester resin touches it begins to swell a bit. plus it never fully hardens and will trap moisture.

I am not much for glass on steel myself amd would recomend epoxy for longer life, but it won't stop rust.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #20
Mikelrome
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I won't argue with ( where's the damn book) Jon. I haven't had it melt on me.

Why dont you just weld tube in there?

Mikelrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #21
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I'm probably going to weld in a section of heater channel...see above.

This is a super-low-budget build.

Quote:
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #22
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

LOL yeah super low budget, but I have steel!!! Wow got overnight service from McMaster-Carr on the 1" tubing. Still not heard anything from 57drag? Anyway I managed to make it to work at 6:30 this morning, and gonna try to do it again Friday morning so I can leave an hour early. Hope to show up at your place before 5:00 tomorrow. Also got a 3 day weekend if I'm needed, all I gotta do at home is a few honey-do's and paint my tail light housings. Li'l bitch is gonna get driven again this weekend before I take the drivers seat out.
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #23
dragnbdy
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdust View Post
OK. I've put a couple layers of 'glass on the heater channel but I don't like it. Here's the gap still

I just happen to have a section of heater channel so I might just cut out part of the old one and weld this in. We'll see.

The front quarter is looking good, almost ready for filler.

and I found these if you want to use them
those are the same ones I used
dragnbdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #24
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

not much happening today. I did cut out most of the fiberglass and bent, rusty metal.

and starting fitting a "new" piece

Once the top skin was cut off I was able to straighten a lot of the metal where it will weld to the new pieces. I also gave it a few whacks from below.

Quote:
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #25
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

A few random pics from today. I spent most of the day cleaning the shop so not much got done on the rpu.

tacked in patch piece

capped off end of door. still have to finish seal channel

cut a piece of metal for the bed side, still have to trim it and cut the front half...it's just clamped on in the pic

Quote: