Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,692
Threads: 31,741
Total Online: 56

Newest Member: Tucson T

Latest Threads
- by nomercy

Old August 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #1
moler
Forum Member

Default Moler Inc

Hi from the UK

I'm Ady, I live Lincolnshire, and love old VW's, and I'll take anything on!!

This is my current daily driver, a '64 UK RHD splitscreen panelvan, bought like this...

...did some of this...

...added some of these...

...and ended up with this...

...yes I am mental, and yes it's staying in red oxide

See all 1000+ pics HERE

Have a nice day now

Last edited by moler; October 20th, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
moler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #2
moler
Forum Member

Default Re: Jet Rocket!!

I did start one of these threads, quite a while ago too by the look of it!

To update you, the van has gone, and I've had a few old VW's since, non of any note really except my '67 Beetle...

...my current dub was imported into the UK from Australia, and is awaiting registration...

...but the one I'm building now is my favourite, and it's got a long way to go, but here's a teaser pic...

...if you bear with me I'll update this thread with all the posts from the UK Volksrod forum, so nearly 600 pictures of the project so far
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #3
moler
Forum Member

15-Oct-13

I know I have the oval to do, but the plans for that have got out of hand (expensive ideas!) So I've decided to build something closer to my original brief 'to build a Volksrod for as close to a grand as possible' :)

I bought this '72 1200 for £320 + £50 for delivery (less than the oval shell :o )...

...it has a cracking little 1200 engine that's in very good order, the gearbox is good too. The brakes all work as they should, and the electrics (for now) all work.

The body is poorly, but as I rod it most of the crap will go, especially as it's going to be a pick up ;)

So the plan in brief is to move the body back by 9" (no frame extender), 4.5" chop, and 4.5" channel. I had planned to just blank the back of the cab off with what effectively would be a flat sheet with a window, but having looked at a few pick ups have decided to go the extra mile and create a rear roof gutter and compound curved roof and a wide'n'low rear window. Long bonnet, wooden load bed, wood crate engine cover, evil sunvisor, banded GT's steels, General Grabbers, matt black and red......let's see how all that goes :lol:

This one is Moler Inc, I've had this logo for a while...

...and it'll adorn the doors when finished :)

This is an outside project, as the split has the garage, so fine days only on this :rolleyes:
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #4
moler
Forum Member

17-Oct-13

Started on the strip out, and it truly is a basket case, just like I wanted!

Body welded to the pan...

...scored a long bonnet for this, and a '54 bonnet for the oval for only £150 :D ...

...marked for the first cut, hopefully leaving plenty of meat to play with...

...I'm off for a few days next week, if the weather's fine I'll hopefully get this sucker cut up :)

The running total is £470
This is after selling parts from the Beetle, and selling a few odd bits that have been lying around for while.
And buying, 2nd hand heater channels, 235/60x15 General Grabbers for the back, and wheels inc having the rears banded.
I have pan halves and A post bottoms to buy, but the biggest future cost will be having the wheels powder coated.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #5
moler
Forum Member

18-Oct-13

I had a few hours today, so started by cutting out the body to get at the loom, no point sacrificing the loom for a body that gonna be cut up...

...then I started on cutting the back off...

...I had to get creative on the inside as everything was welded to each other with patches...

...and off it came...

...I really should finish tidying it out!...

...bit grotty under here, but most of it has to come off for the plans I have, so will get a good clean...

...quick tidy, and then continued with the strip out. I was on my own so cracked out the 10 ton body ram to help with the windscreen, only really interested in saving the seal as it's ok...

...I had been wondering what to do with the back off the pans once the body has been moved back, be looking at this they'll need to be standard, bonus...

...with the last few minutes I decided to cut the front valance off for no offer reason then to see the volksrod beneath :P

Garden art???

Old October 20th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #6
moler
Forum Member

24-Oct-13

Ok, so I did go out to chop the roof off, honest, but got delayed by my newest toy, a blast cabinet. So after assembling it and having a play, as you do, I did turn my attention to the rod...

...incidentally, if anyone is the market for one these, this is the cheap one off ebay, and I can highly recommend it :D

Back to the rod then.
Simply chopping 4.75" (couldn't make my mind up between a 4.5" or 5" chop :rolleyes: ) out the front pillar isn't quite as easy measuring 4.75" along the pillar and cutting it out, oh no. To drop it 4.75 vertical inches you need to work out the long side of the triangle, the hypotenuse. Remember that from school? SIN CoSIN Tangent? no me neither, so I measured the angle and went and found a triangle calculator 'ont tinterweb', little over 5" as it turns out...

...managed to get both sides cut...

...then turned my attention to the B pillar. I don't want to cut straight through this, I plan to cut it in such a way that the inner section will reach the roof and outer section will reach down over the top. The theory at least is that I won't have to pie cut it, as, being a pick-up, the window surround doesn't require much attention...

...hopefully got this worked out and cut tomorrow :)

Last edited by moler; October 20th, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #7
moler
Forum Member

27-Oct-13

Hopefully these pictures will show what I'm trying to achieve, the red line highlighting the cut marks...

...it should line up nicely, layered for strength, and the seat belt mount is saved too...

...too late if it's wrong now...

While the chop I'm doing doesn't need a cross ways chop of the roof, it still needs to be chopped length ways, I want to retain the rearview mirror bracket so chopped that bit out...

...and then cut the roof in half, and used the bracket to hold things together...

...nearly got the A pillar spot on, no pie cuts here, ok maybe one small one...

...next up is remove the B pillars from the car and get them to line up to the roof cuts!!

Last edited by moler; October 20th, 2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #8
moler
Forum Member

30-Oct-13

Little update, but all progress is progress right ;)

Got the B pillars removed and started the desection...

...stripped everything from the front half so I can cracked on with it removal...

...lovely uncut dash :lol: ...

...hacked the pans off, they were in a bad state...

...easy access for the pedals, shame they've been welded in.

T'was dark then, so I turned my attention to another new toy, my freshly blasted (in my blast cabinet) Myford lathe bed...

...other bits have been blasted, time for paint...

...got to get the lathe refurbishment done so I can drop the spindles on the split

Last edited by moler; October 20th, 2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #9
moler
Forum Member

13-Nov-13

I MUST BE MAD!!!!

Right I'll start with purchases, I have now got a pair of pans and a naps hat courtesy of VWH's 10% off on halloween. I've also got a pair of buggy cannons (jury's still out on whether they'll get used!!) and a pair of headlights.

I've got the front off finally, despite previous owners attempts to make them 'as one'...

...I haven't looked closely at the this yet, but already know it needs a lot of work, hopefully the cross panel is salvageable??...

...with the front out the way, and more of the floor gone, the spine reveals it ugly secrets...

...the framehead, as you'd expect, has seen lots of work too. The recent closing plate is coming off as I'll require something a little longer once things are moved back.

So this is what I have today, quite excited really, always wanted to do a bug floorpan :lol:

Last edited by moler; October 20th, 2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #10
moler
Forum Member

14-Nov-13

I started today by removing the steering and traction...

...then had a switch around so I can get closer to the garage...

...the framehead is even less clever than I thought...

...cleaning up the spine was the main job for today. The rear most section of floor was original, so came off easily after a little spot weld drilling and grinding...

...in fact there was quite a large section of original floor...

...shame it quickly turns nasty...

...other side done too, then a light coat of weld through primer to help keep the rust at bay...

...the front is much the same as the other side...

...time top look at the underside. The rear again is good...

...while the front is in need of help...

...I've removed the dodgy repair, and a large section of the good spine closing plate as I need to get in there for some jiggery pokery ;) ...

Last edited by moler; October 20th, 2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #11
moler
Forum Member

10-Dec-13

Been a while, lack of motivation due to the weather being crap the mainly culprit!

So, if the framehead wasn't looking too good from the top, it looked even worse from the bottom...

...an aftermarket repair section is £80, and I'd be able to save 20% of the OG framehead

Now even I'm not that mad :eek: I was offered a full pan for £75, £100 if I wanted it delivering, that was solid in all the right places, no brainer really :D

So, today I started dissecting this one, it's like deja vu all over again :lol: ...

...the all important framehead, in very good condition...

...TOP TIP if you have to drill loads of spot welds out, it's sometimes hard to see them from over the top, marker pen dots help no end...

...marvellous...

...even the naps hat is mostly solid...

...only the end needs attention, I intend to repair, reuse, and reposition the naps hat...

...the framehead closing plate is pretty unreal too...

...with some careful dissection I've removed the naps hat closing plate, what's left behind will stay put. This shows the naps head closing plate in what will be it's new position, the red line show how it will be filled in...

Last edited by moler; October 20th, 2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #12
moler
Forum Member

11-Dec-13

Grabbed an hour or so when I got home from work today.

Quick reference pic, this'll be + 9"...

...I spent the whole of my time this evening removing in one piece the naps hat ready to reuse...

...the damage to the spine (oh the irony!) isn't a problem due to the modifications required...

...more tomorrow hopefully

Last edited by moler; October 20th, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #13
moler
Forum Member

2-Jan-14

Managed half a day today, so just a small update.

Part of my plan for everything moving back 9", is to delete the handbrake and create something a little different. So today I set about moving the gear stick back while deleting said handbrake mounting point...

...it was a great feeling to finally break the welder out on this project...

...it's shame the spine doesn't stick to one profile along it's entire length...

...this is the old spine being harvested for some infill sections...

...it was dark by the time I'd got all lined up and tacked together...

...hopefully more tomorrow (but I said that last time!!)
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #14
moler
Forum Member

3-Jan-14

Wahoo, I actually managed 2 days in a row!

Started today by fully welding up yesterday days work, one small section I can't do as it needs pushing out from the inside to line up, so I'll do this bit later...

...then a grind back and smooth...

...not bad considering I didn't go mad with the blending in. Next up was to move the accelerator tube and adjacent pressing, here the salvaged piece from the other pan fleshly blasted...

...area cut out and tube shortened...

...welded in...

...and smoothed...

...attention then turned to covering the old one...

...to make the cover plate first you need some masking tape laid together to make a sheet...

...place it over the top of the concaved pressing...

...without a wax crayon to hand I had to improvise, first I highlighted the high points with a straight edge, and then highlighted that with a marker pen...

...transfer that to my filler piece...

...then cut out, get carried away! weld in and smooth without taking any inbetween pictures :lol: because of the nature of the joint, there's quite a bit of undercut, it didn't bother me at the time, but looking at this picture now makes me want to fill the rest in with weld, even though it's gonna be stonechipped!!

I now needed to move the pedal assembly mounting points, unfortunately there's a bracket inside the tunnel for holding the clutch cable conduit on the passenger side one, so I had to remove the spine closing plate earlier than I really wanted too. First you need to remove that pesky OG underseal, I used my preferred method of a slightly blunt chisel to chip it off...

...this took me less than 10 minutes...

...it took significantly longer to drill the spot welds out!...

...I got carried away again, but remembered just in time...

...this is the bracket, the clutch cable conduit still insitu, the other part of the bracket is for the fuel pipe...

...at this point it started to rain, so I had a clear up and retreated to the blasting cabinet to prepare the naps hat.

Old October 20th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #15
moler
Forum Member

8-Jan-14

I had a few hours this afternoon on the spine. I moved and welded in the pedal mount, then started to look at repairing the hole left behind using my favourite source of repair metal, VW ;) ...

...I ended up chopping a lump off that was already curved, but the flange edge was toast so needed removing...

...my sheet metal bender isn't strong enough to bend this, so I had to improvise...

...bent, trimmed and welded in...

...I was going to chop this out and weld in a repair piece, but after looking at it, I decided it could be straightened and welded up...

...it was beginning to get dark, you can tell from the fuzzy picture!...

...welded and ground back...

...and the other side...

...as it was now too dark to continue outside, I finished blasting the salvaged naps hat and got some paint on it ready for next time...

...it's in great condition considering it's OG, just this to contend with...

Old October 20th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #16
moler
Forum Member

11-Jan-14

So the last bit on the spine itself is the relocation of the passenger side pedal mounting hole, nothing special about it so I'm cutting a new mount and filling in the old one...

...I love these stepped drill bits, very easy to use, and do a good job...

...then to create the elongated circular hole I used a hole saw, using it tilted over means I can cut only one side...

...and then the other without losing the pilot hole, and the stability it provides...

...a little filing finished the hole...

...centre piece is straight forward...

...I filled the holes with a little stud like this. First I cut most of the way through the stud...

...when wound it in flush (sorry for the shit pictures!!)...

...then snapped it off leaving the filling piece ready for welding...

...welded in some mounting nuts too...

...ground back and blended.

I then welded up the piece that I couldn't get flush from the outside...

...used a piece of an old strut brace to line it up...

Naps hat time...

...after much measuring tacking, cutting the tacks, measuring, adjusting, tacking again, it's in place...

...next time I'll be repairing the end of the naps hat and it's OG closing plate, and making a new framehead closing plate.

Old October 20th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #17
moler
Forum Member

20-Feb-14

It's been a while since my last update, but I haven't been completely idle.

I invested in a gazebo to work under, and attached to the end of the garage. Unfortunately the wind had other ideas, and it didn't even last long enough to be able to take a picture of it :lol:

So the decision was made to repair the windscreen edges in the split, replace the screens and move it outside.
So I turned this...

...into this...

...then to this.

She was then moved outside and the hotrod moved in.

The only work on the Volksrod though has been on it's rear wheels. The original plan was to make a set of 7.5" wide GT steelies using some 5.5" wide GT's and some odd 5.5" wide bug wheels I have...

...but while re-rimming a pair of 6.5" wide Merc steelies for a friend I ended up with this as an offcut...

...so, circumcise the GT wheel...

...get a freshly machined up Merc rim (thanks Sean)...

...and add together...

...one 7.5" GT steelie, still need to blast the 2 sections before heating up the rim and shrinking it on
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #18
moler
Forum Member

2-Mar-14

I managed a day on the rod today.

I started by circumcising the second of the rear wheels ready for the extension...

...then I pulled the covers off the spine and dragged it into the middle, this now has priority...

...so starting where I left off, the ends of the naps hat, this end is toast...

...this just needs a fettle to remove old floorpan weld...

...after weighing up my options, I decided to use the end off the repair panel that I'd got, the dimensions are pretty good, and it's the right thickness...

...so off came the dodgy end...

...I cut, trimmed, and blasted the replacement end. All fits well except for this...

...a little fettling got everything lined up nicely...

...flipped over, and it isn't too bad...

...next is the naps hat closing plate, it's end needs repairing too...

...instead of plug welding it back on, I've decided to seam weld it on, so I've trimmed it down a little...

...due to the ends not having a decent flange to weld to, I did this...

...now I can weld straight round it. Masked off and painted the inside ready for closing up...

...just the holes to drill in the closing plate, and it can go on, but that's for next time.

Old October 20th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #19
moler
Forum Member

9-Mar-14

So, hole drilled in the closing plate, lined up and welded on...

...I then turned my attention to the framehead itself, I had a scraping issue with it on the slammed '67 I had, so thought I use a grinder to clearance it instead of the road :lol: ...

...and I started to sort out the closing plate...

...blasted ready for some paint...

...the next day after the paint had dried and I'd welded that piece of closing plate on, I turned the spine over looking at, and measuring up, for the rest of the framehead closing plate. Something however wasn't right, the framehead wasn't perpendicular to the centre line of the spine, and it wasn't level when compared to the torsion tube and naps hat...

...you might be able to see it in the picture, I can, but then I know it's there. These might help though...

...what that doesn't show clearly is the 4mm difference!!! After much head scratching, inspecting, and measuring I've concluded that it can't have left the factory straight. There's no sign of accident damage. Not that far fetched when I think back to other misalignments I've seen of other dubs, they were mass produced to a cost after all.

The only thing for it was to remove the framehead and align it, so the rest of the closing plate came off...

...I can now get to all the surface rust!...

...this took a couple of hours to get off, those 5 holes on the top were a real head scratcher too, although I think only the 2 on the left needed to be drilled out fully...

I then set about seeing if it could be lined up, and thankfully it could...

...I'm now in the process of preparing everything for putting back together.

Old October 20th, 2014, 11:04 AM   #20
moler
Forum Member

15-Mar-14

Update time, this is from over the last week and a few hours today.

I blasted the framehead and slung some paint on it, mostly one the inside, and then set about getting the bugger welded back on...

...for added strength I've chosen to use 3mm plate to rebuild the custom framehead closing plate, easier to mark it out like this then measuring it up, at least I know it'll fit :lol: ...

...I included a tapered section to the edge...

...scored it with the grinder and then bent it in the vice, oh for a press brake!...

...I repeated the process for the other side, tacked and partially welded them both in...

...before fully welding the top, I decided to get the bottom complete...

...this needs a little fettling to fit...

...that'll do...

..but some of those hole needed filling in before it went on. I don't want the plug welds to show so a few were filled in first and ground flat as I wouldn't be able to get the grinder in afterwards, the rest can be done on the job...

...then ground flat and seam welded for extra strength, I'll be seam welding both sides too...

Old October 20th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #21
moler
Forum Member

23-Mar-14

Fruits of this weeks labour then.

Finished off the framehead closing plate edge...

...happy with that...

...attention now turns to the rear, and the 4" torsion tube raise...

...started by removing the small piece of tin at the rear, a few tiny spot welds and seam sealer is all that keeps it in!...

...then stun it over (and round) and cleaned up the underside...

...painted that and turned over again. I made a couple of plates to support the new torsion tube in position using the original as an aid for holding it in the right place. It's also a point of no return as the shock towers have to come off to make room...

...this is less than I expected, but still tricky...

...after much fettling I got it to sit perfectly...

...looking forward to a making the closing plate, I decided the transmission mount had to come off before it got welded in...

...I made sure it was all clean, and moved the clutch and accelerator cable conduits to the top, and welded that sucker in...

...I made a rough template for the closing plate, one side sorted...

...fold over and copy for the other side...

...and transfer to metal...

...not too bad on the first fit, but fettling required...

...fettled and tacked in...

...and welded...

...last time I did any pattern development was 11 years ago, like riding a bike though, can you tell what it is yet?...

...wrapped around for marking out...

...definitely no going back now!...

...and the piece I'm after. No sense in wasting all that lovely tubing when you need some strength putting into the tube raise...

...obviously it needs to fit better than that, so this...

...and this...

...turned into this...

...and this...

...beautiful :D ...

...and welded in, not too happy with the appearance, but it stuck!...

...welds fettled...

...love this pic.

>>>>cont'd
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #22
moler
Forum Member

Next job then is to sort the gear linkage before I put the pans on, so I need to mount the gearbox itself, I had these to try and make into one 4" higher...

...in the end I decided I liked the way the later mount fitted, but made a stronger one...

...yes, that's a jigsaw cutting through 6mm plate ;) ...

...with the correct blade and my trusty Bosch Blue Jiggy, this took me half the time it would have with a grinder. You can't really do the tight curves, but it did the gentler ones...

...holes drilled, and corners fettled...

...need to get some short M20 sets for the top 2 holes, and come up with some sort of bracing back to the framehorns...

...gearbox in place, not easy on your own! and the nosecone swapped for an earlier one as I reckon the early mount is easier to work with...

...and this is how I've left it this evening...

...need to figure out the front mount, and get some UJ's for the gear linkage.

Old October 20th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #23
moler
Forum Member

12-Apr-14

Prior to the wobble it had been an expensive week for the rod, first was a set of dropped spindles...

...then a pair of UJ's for the linkage that you'll see shortly, all in all £180!! that takes the running total to £705, and I still have few things to sell from the bug :)

My next job was to make a front mount for the gearbox, I had some small box section left over from gate making so I put that to good use fashioned something like this...

...to fit here...

...what can't see here is I've drilled right through to the other side of the closing plate and bolted through it all.

These are the UJ's, had a mate turn me a tophap to go into the gearbox coupling, he TIG welded it on for me (welding envy) unfortunately I missed the fundermental flaw in the plan, it won't pass through the plastic bushed in the tunnel like that :rolleyes: ...

...I have mounted a second guide for the shifter rod further back so it's fully supported so the UJ's will work properly, then cut a slot in the tunnel top for it to come out of...

...I was expecting to have to butt weld these, but the ID of the shifter rod was a perfect sleeve fit for the UJ's...

...while trying the shifter it was obvious that this coupling wasn't going to cut it, the rubber is just to old a spongy and caused more play then the system could deal with...

...so out came the rubber and I roughly welded in nuts as a spacer, no more play meant the shifter works perfectly :) ...

...this is the extra guide mounted further back, both guides have new plastic bushes...

...I've welded the handbrake conduits up out the way of the shifer too...

...start on the pan halves tomorrow
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #24
moler
Forum Member

13-Apr-14

With the gearbox anchoring the rear I mounted the front beam to anchor the front and stop the spine from easily twisting while I mount the pans...

...I bolted the old torsion tube end casting back on, it has a built in support for the pan edge, so it'll hold the pan up while I nail it on...

...so first thing was to relieve the new, but crap quality, pan halve of it jacking point, this suckers gonna be too low for those bad boys to stay. Can you stop the over enthusiasm? :lol: ...

...removed the seat runner and marked out the 9" shortening...

...I'm also removing the section that would normally be under the back seat, it's a good inch lower than the pan front & edge, and I wore it through on the '67 as it caught on my driveway. So with that removed and 8 5/8" shorter I tried it for fit...

...my solution for joining the pan edge, a butt joint wasn't going to be strong enough...

...And welded in, well pleased with that...

...plenty of clearance across the whole of the pan...

...I was going to try and flatten the section that I'd taken out, but decided it wouldn't be good enough for my OCD, so a cut some fresh out. Now ideally it could do with some ribs in it, but it'll be braced with some box section that will carry the seat, so it'll be fine...

...it was joggled all the way round except for the far corner, it goes underneath just there, and welded in...

...very pleased with how it turned out :D Going to make the joint doubly strong by welding underneath too, when it gets turned over...

...repro heater channels aren't renowned for their quality either, and these are salvaged repro channels, well I am on a budget :lol: ...

...I did shorten it by 9", remove the internal tube, and get it bolted on, but forgot the picture!

Old October 20th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #25
moler
Forum Member

27-Apr-14

I finally managed to get the nearside pan and channel on and into the same state as the offside, no need for loads of pictures is it's the same as the first one...

...I replaced the glass in my blast cabinet during the week, so I finished blasting the hub and rim joint of the rear wheels ready for assembly...

...only need a couple of minutes heat to be big enough for putting together, still damn hot though!...

...I mounted them to the beam for welding, I also drilled the valve holes...

...so now my attention turns to the body, and what a sorry states it's in...

...and that's where I left it today.

I'll leave you with today's revelation, for a while now I've been struggling to see through my welding mask, didn't really think the sacrificial clear lens on the front of the mask was that bad, how wrong I was...

...in the words of Billy Ray Valentine "I can see!"