Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,471
Threads: 32,236
Total Online: 503

Newest Member: dconrads

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old October 20th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #26
moler
Forum Member

Default Re: Jet Rocket!!

13-May-14

Been collecting a few panels, first were a pair of Hookies finest A post repair sections, I had the usual shit ones, but they're bad, really bad. Talking of shit repair panels, I also got a cross panel...

...this panel is shocking, but I'm having to use it so I dissected it, and gave it a damn good fettling to get to fit where and how I wanted it too...

...then blasted the transit paint off, it was very thin...

...now, we all know how badly repro heater channels and pans line up, I wasn't about to try and move them seeing as the holes line up, but seeing as they stuck out a little too far for a closing plate to go straight over the front of them I trimmed them back...

...the fit isn't too bad all things considered.

My attention then went back to the body and I'll be honest, it's poor...

...and while I was determined to save it, this sealed it's fate...

...and while I search for another (may be sorted already ;) ) it did, if only for a moment, look like it was taking shape...

...to cheer myself up, I mocked up the rear suspension to see where the bottom of the wheel rim edge is in relation to the floorpan...

...very pleased with that, although I now think the tyres I have are too tall!!

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: New pic url's
moler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #27
moler
Forum Member

18-May-14

Thankfully I sorted a new body during the week, an ad on Facebook yielded a tip off that someone local had one stashed away. I was worried initially that I wouldn't find one I could afford, but this one was free, I'd given the guy who had it some panels in the past, VW Karma at work :D

And this is it...

...it doesn't look like it, but this is a hundred times better than the other one, and will save me loads of time as there's next to nothing to repair on it, only A post bottoms, cross plate closing panel, and two small bits of windscreen edge. This is the mess I made preparing it to be lifted on...

...I'm not sure what line I used to cut the angle on the bottom closing panel, but it was the wrong one :lol: ...

...my spacers and wedges look a little Heath Robinson, but it was perfectly level :D ...

...after suitably supporting it I cut the offside A post bottom off, I have to stress it took me a good couple of hours of measuring and checking to be completely happy that was I cutting it right place...

...because I'm losing 2 1/2" out of the body height, the A posts inner arch section don't line up anymore...

...I deduced that I needed a return bend in it here...

...so a little fettling of a spare bit of box section...

...and my trusty 4" vice had it bent perfectly...

...and this how I left it tonight, the very bottom of the quarter panel needs a tiny section letting in before this gets welded in...

...Hookies A posts have a good reputation, and rightly so, they're amazing

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:05 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:35 AM   #28
moler
Forum Member

26-May-14

Before I could get the A post on I needed to extend the quarter panel down past the heater channel...

...then I got the A post on...

...penetration baby :P ...

...the other side was done the same way, no point repeating the pics...

...the A posts come from Hookies like this...

...I guess that's correct, but I trimmed them down anyway...

...and because the posts are now 2 1/2" shorter, they're now a little wider apart at the bottom, so there's a gap that requires filling...

...both sides had the same treatment and after much fettling, measuring, shifting, measuring, I nailed it in...

...just not very happy with the welding as the tops of the salvaged repro channels is quite thin!

I decided to leave them for now and look at the handbrake instead. The original handbrake has gone as I want to install a bench seat, so I'm using a baywindow headbrake mechanism...

...it fits perfectly under the dash with a little rear end clearancing...

...I might even be able to retain the whole of the ashtray too

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:05 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #29
moler
Forum Member

29-June-14

I have been pottering with the wheels on the rod, decided to make some wider rears so I can use those 295/50x15's I got. Take one 4.5" wide GT wheel, and a 7" wide Mercedes steelie...

...add a fair bit of cutting, grinding, and welding and you have a 9" wide GT wheel that'll take the 295 ;)

And today I managed a whole day in the garage. I had started looking at the handbrake but it became obvious that I really was jumping the gun, the body was barely attached so had a lot of movement and tugging on that handbrake would make it move and distort. So the plan has moved to getting body nailed down properly.

I shortened one of the doors so it would hold the body and A posts square while I looked at some bracing around the front...

...this showed me the A post bottoms needed finishing of as they were flexing too, so nearly full circle!! I should have completed this job before :lol:

I have decided to run the A posts right down past the heater channel continuing the folded joint along with it, I managed to salvage a small section of A post to do this with..

...cleaned and trimmed to fit...

...maybe I should say at this point that my garage camera has finally given up the ghost, it used to eat batteries anyway, so I'm using my phone. Because I like my phone it's not usual right at hand for taking pictures so they get missed...sorry! I am looking for a replacement so hopefully normal service will resume shortly.

Case in point, fast forward to this...

...and then this.

With that done and the other door shortened it showed me that the A post weren't in the right position for the doors, and that the front of the body needed dropping, so that inner cross member is going to lose it's head...

...with that trimmed I pulled the front of the body down a little and doors are good...

I think I'm nearing the point were I need it lower to work on, so I think the wheels are now the priority, get them finished and powdercoated, tyres on, and then get him on the ground, should be a motivator too

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #30
moler
Forum Member

20-July-14

Still haven't got a new camera, so apologies for the picture quality, bought this instead.

This weekends work...

...so to the roof, first job chop the door tops down. I hope you can see the marking out here for the staggered join...

...just using a straight butt joint at the front for now...

...next I need to section the B pillar, 2.5" need to come out of here, and the bottom needs sorting out...

...nice parallel section in the middle...

...dissecting the edge joint...

...blasted the inside to see the extent of the repair required...

...this is my repair material, NOS baywindow panelvan upper side panel :lol: bought back in '03 or '04, tried to sell sometime later but no takers, ended up using the inner cross brace when I restored the 'Jet Rocket'...

...almost looks factory...

...this is where I got a little excited...

...a little fettling of the staggered joint was required before a few tacks were added...

...and repeat for the nearside B pillar...

...I now need to align the B pillar bootm and the door, so with 30 minutes left before showering for tea, I narrowed one of the doors ;) ...

...hopefully get a little more done during the week, but if not I've the whole of the following week off work for garage time, sanctioned by the boss

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #31
moler
Forum Member

29-July-14

The last 2 days have seen a lot of work, then rework, things initially seemed ok, then didn't, hopefully you'll see it doesn't always go right first time!

I started on the offside A pillar, the alignment on these is rubbish now I've changed the front clip, to get this to line up...

...I had the twist the roof section to here, note the top right corner of the pic...

...with that lining up, the seam didn't...

...while I'm here I show the edge repair that's required, still better than the other clip...

...pie cut to the inside...

...with the A pillar something like, I turned my attention to the B pillar, I'd left it like this...

...I wanted to extend it past the heater channel, so a quick trip to see a mate whose chopping up a bug (thanks Shaggy Mick) had me a section of B pillar to use...

...the nearside got the same treatment...

...with this done I evened the door gap from A post to B pillar and found the door to be a little narrow, so I quick cut and tack gave me the mm or so I needed (that's twice)...

...while doing the door I noticed this hole on the inner pressing...

...and the fact the door on the other side is different...

...my OCD kicked in hard and I went looking at the other doors I have to see if I had a matching pair. BINGO, I did :D ...

...okay okay it's a picture of the outside, but trust me, the inside is a match ;) Shortened, narrowed, and chopped...

...same story with the nearside A pillar...

...what I did find while taking measurements and comparing them side to side, and working back from the standard measurements, was the B Pillar at the top was chopped by 5 1/4" NOT 5" like the A pillar, and that the B pillar tops differed by 3mm, not sure how this happened? I decided to taken the extra 1/4" out the A pillar which helped a lot here...

...this side went together nicely then so it got a brace...

...back to the offside which also needed a 1/4" out the A pillar, which will help here...

...to help get the windscreen aperture aligned properly I made 4 identical braces and spaced them as far apart as possible, the original aperture is parallel to these points...

...I then dropped the B pillar...

...dropped the A pillar until it aligned with the braces and all the measurements were right, and it came together nicely...

...this side got a brace too...

...the door needed narrowing again after that so that 3 times!

Next I started on the roof brow, I'd cut inner section out beyond the visor mounts...

...and have a salvaged section to bridge the gap...

...fast forward past the measuring, cutting, and cleaning up...

...I then used the skin to make an initial repair section...

...and whacked it in there...

...happy with that...

...just for kicks, it chucked the bonnet on...

...it seems to over hang a little, do oval bonnets do that?

More fun tomorrow

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #32
moler
Forum Member

10-Aug-14

First an apology, I did 2 more days in the garage after the last update but just didn't get around to updating the thread, the excuses are many and varied, but I won't bore you with them :P

So where was I? Wasn't really sure where to go from here, or rather, what to do next, so thought I'd blank the fuel filler in...

...paint removal revealed a rotten top edge so this needed replacing too...

...amazingly this bit was ok on the original front end save for a little surface rust...

...ready to accept fresh metal...

...to make the blanking plate I covered the area in masking tape and marked around the corner of the aperture, a bit like brass rubbing...

...I then transferred that to the top of the scrap door as it has a similar curve to it...

...tacked on ready for a slow and steady weld up...

...hmmmmm, maybe not quite as slow and steady as I thought I was, as when I'd finished I noticed the heat had got the better of the panel and straightened it out...

...it should have a gentle curve to it like this!

As you might imagine I was quite despondent at this point, not really knowing what to do to put it right. I decided to sleep on it and turned my attention back to the handbrake now everything was good and solid...

...I was originally going to have all the strength for the handbrake lever mount in the tin around the hole, but changed my mind due to it's irregular shape. I have some box section that used to be office furniture kindly donated to me by a friend, cheers Broady. It's about 30mm x 15mm and great quality...

...I started fashioning a frame...

...I have the basic dimensions covered for the lever mount, so I'll see how we go as I get the handbrake operational, it may need altering...

...so to mounting the base of the lever. I've had this salvaged underfloor section from my first Bay for years, and the handbrake lever, and pin, so it's time to press them back in service...

...so I relieved it of it's ideal under tunnel mount...

...just need a slot in the tunnel...

...this is the first look at how it, well, looks!...

...underneath it looks like it needs the bracket for the clutch cable conduit modding for clearance...

...with a slice off the bracket and the conduit tacked in place I have enough clearance, I'll finish the mod off when I turn the pan over...

...with the handle in place you'd never get the pivot pin out so I want to make the assembly removable, just in case. So I need to add fastenings to the bracket, thank goodness for rivnuts :P ...

...for those that haven't seen a rivnut it starts life like this...

...and is installed with one of these...

...as the name suggests it applies the same principal as a pop rivet. It has small external flange, hence the countersink on the outside of the hole on the bracket, and is squeezed/compressed to create a flange to the rear...

...quick and simple to use, very effective at what it does :D ...

...I'm using countersunk set screws to secure it to the tunnel as these will eliminate any fore and aft slop that I might get with hex sets when the bracket is stressed. The furthest hole has poor access for drilling so will be finished off when the body comes off...

...I do like the finish of countersunk fixings (rear gear shift rod bracket)...

...with that in I need to shorten the handbrake lever/arm itself. Held in place at this point the handle in the cab is perfectly positioned...

...this how much it needs shortening by!...

...this'll do for starters...

...another arm that has it's original pins and spring on, I love it when my stash gives up gems like these...

...crap light, but all connected up, well at the top...

...cable time. Ever tried to remove a hub nut from a freely spinning drum? Mr Torque is your friend in such situations...

...some jiggery pokery is required, as this is where the Beetle handbrake cables end...

...I have a plan, more next time

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #33
moler
Forum Member

17-Aug-14

I'll start with a fairly random picture...

...I'm ready to have the wheels powder coated so I thought I'd sort the otherside of the rear suspension out, nice and level, love the fact the drum is so high into the frame.

So, headbrake cables. Bug ones are too short, but I have a spare splitscreen bus one so thought I'd use that, so long it'll actually need shortening. One thing when you do a straight axle conversion on a split is you need an adapter to mount the the cable into the drum because the ends are different...

...sod that, if I'm cutting it up I may as well use the bug ones, so I retained all the bug parts on the rear brakes and just swapped the cable itself over...

...I got these little gems to splice the cable back together...

...2 for now...

...one side attached, and it works a treat :D

So the handbrake works next is to start on the rear bodywork. The skin will not be structural, I'm going to create a frame for it to mount to, but first I need to get off the pan, and I've got some 60mm x 30mm box section specifically for the job...

...my orignal thought was to do this...

...but actually this is better...

...so I made 2 of these, to be welded to the pan and get me over the gear linkage...

...I need a closing plate between the torsion tube and this box section though...

...before I can weld these sections in I need some captive nuts to bolt the body down to. First time using the lathe in anger :D ...

...I need some better tooling as I had to do the chamfer with a grinder, but otherwise happy with them...

...little closing plates welded in, and everything in place for a tack weld...

...I added the tacks and that's how I left it.

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:08 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #34
moler
Forum Member

26-Aug-14

Right, not done much, but I have had the wheels powder coated, had the tyres fitted to the wheels, fitted them to the car, and put it on the floor...

...still lots to do...

...but you get the idea...

...it's gonna be too low for the oval bonnet, anyone wanna buy a 1954 4 tab bonnet? :lol: ...

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:09 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #35
moler
Forum Member

1-Sept-14

Having got him on his wheels he was quite obviously too high, so I decided to raise the transmission some more, an inch and a half to be precise...

...I needed to clearance the newly installed rear structure, thankfully there's just enough of it to take the raise. I need to weld a quick tab on it to centre the mandril for the holesaw...

...now for a closing plate...

...the raised rear mount was made in exactly the same manner as the other one, so I won't bore you with that other than to say, it's an inch and a half taller and I've shaped the bottom differently...

...just enough room...

...I found the original nosecone to body seal, this should work out nicely for what I have planned.

The overall height is about 45 inches...

...and I have 3 1/2" clearance underneath, which would only be 2" if I hadn't removed the rear passenger footwells...

...the only way to go lower now is smaller tyres, yeah right :P

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #36
moler
Forum Member

28-Sept-14

Been doing all sorts of other things lately so the rod has been neglected save for the odd hour here and there. So here's an update of those odd hours and, shock horror, 4 hours from today.

I'll start with customary apology, picture quality and quantity has been sporadic of last, but I'm happy to report that a new camera was purchased this very morning. There are some missing pictures in the build up to that point though :P

So with the transmission raised, the linkage needed re-working, quite straight forward. just lengthen the diagonal rod...

...once this was done I knocked the rear down and put him on axle stands. Next job was to create a structure where I can seal the trans to the body...

...after various ideas I found this old headlight rear connection seal, I think it might have been from an old Vauxhall??...

...so I just need to create a flange for it to go over. First I tried to use the coupon from a holesaw, but it was too small...

...so I just did it the old fashioned way and cut it out by hand...

...I then made a small piece of tube...

...welded them together and trimmed it to length...

...then welded it in...

...that'll do...

...so on it went...

...fast forward a bit (ahem!!) and I've plated the top over, and started on the bottom of the rear body framework...

...also welded the nuts into the gearbox nose mount and capped the tops off.

A mate of mine has had some samba rear corner frames kicking about for a bit, so I asked if I could borrow them to see how they'd fit. To be honest I didn't realise just how big they where...

...they're going to require a lot of cutting and messing about to make them fit, in fact I think it'd be easier to build them from stretch, so the juries still out on whether I'm going to do this or not...

...this is my current alternative plan for creating the corners.

So while I deliberate I've been checking and measuring the rear body to make sure it's as square as possible, what tolerance should I be aiming for do you reckon? ;) ...

On a side note I've picked up a late bonnet in excellent condition to have a look at...

...hmmm???

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #37
moler
Forum Member

5-Oct-14

So to the rear framework, to add ridigity to the body, and give me something to attach the rear bodywork to. I started with the top rail, more precisely it's corners...

...DOH!...

...that's better, all due to a pesky 'FAT' finger on my calculator :lol: ...

...perfick...

...the 30x30 box section is a perfect fit...

...once clearanced...

...first upright in...

...I replicated the same moves for the other side, and trued everything up...

...second upright and a crossbar all nice and square...

...bottom part of the window frame...

...window frame sides, bottom crossmember, and tie bar down to the over tunnel frame...

...these gaps are help me create a factory style seam...

...and a little triangulation for extra strength ;) ...

...with that done, time to add some more corner structure...

...you can always tell a good fit when it doesn't need clamps :P ...

...and the next two...

...thinking ahead, I added some sections to take an interior trim panel, may as well do it now while I have easy access...

...removed the last of the paint and filler from the quarter panel and frame ready for some skin...

...I cut a 1/4 section off the pipe...

...I'm going to pie cut it to get the curve, hopefully, but realised I needed an assistance panel, something to bend against...

...only tacked in, as it won't be staying...

...my youngest is beginning to show an interest, so I've set him up with my old Black & Decker Workmate, some materials, and some tools, so he can have a play...

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #38
moler
Forum Member

12-Oct-14

I pre pie-cut the tube, I then tacked it to the frame at the top and the correct angle...

...I then pulled it down over the former and tacked the bottom...

...I then slit though the pie-cuts again to remove the overlaps...

...welded up and ground back. You might also notice the B pillar needed a little pie-cut of it's own as there was a slight bulge to be relieved...

...roughed out a cardboard template for the in fill, and cut the metal...

...the piece for the back has a simple bend in it to create one side of the factory style seam, slow and steady with the welding to help prevent distortion...

...inner former pulled out...

...attention then turned to the lower section. I added a former to the top where the curve is tightest...

...and pre pie-cut the tube...

...same operation here, angle the top, weld in at the correct angle, pull over the former and tack the bottom...

...weld up...

...cut and bend the in fill section...

...tigersealed it and clamped it in position for welding...

...I hadn't noticed the tube had pulled when welded...

...some judicious manipulation with a length of box section and a big hammer soon sorted that :P ...

...in fill for the bottom of the 1/4 panel, this where it finally came together and I started to think it looked ok...

...with it being shiny bare metal it's hard to really see it, can't wait to get a skim of filler on and some primer :D ...

...started prep for the other side...

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #39
moler
Forum Member

19-Oct-14

Next job was clean a few layers of paint off, thought I'd do the roof edges while I was at it...

...next I whacked the corner structure on...

...then I had a delivery, in there is seat frame, heater tubes, pop out frames, and reinforcement for the bottom of the sides...

....and this is the rear skin...

...and while I'm off at a tangent, this flat bar held up the pop top in my first Bay, now being used to hold the trim panels in...

...so with the trim panel sections in the same as the other side I started on the skin. This is the same procedure as the other side so I'll whizz through the pics...

...so that's both sides done, just the small matter of grinding all the weld off!!...

...2 hours to do that...

...centre panel time then...

...that's one side bent and the the bottom vee cut into it...

...now this I haven't shown you before. The structure over the pans at the rear follow the original line of the pans, this unfortunately isn't straight across, so when it came to the framework I had to decide whether to follow it along the bottom, or straighten it out, as you can see I decided to follow it. This is mainly because the mounting holes would have had to be right on the edge of the box section, and not central (hope that makes sense!)...

...to skin that properly I need to put a slight dog leg in the skin like so...

...because of how slight the bends are, and how close together they need to be I scored the metal much like you would a piece of card, barely touched with the grinder, this is enough to influence where the bend would go...

...I then cut the window hole, and roughed up where it's going to stick...

...a trial fitting...

...highlighted a problem with one of the bends, it must have gone a off line??? Anyway a quick slitting and weld up sorted it...

...I've used Tigerseal panel sealant and adhesive to bond the panel to the frame...

...clamptastic baby :D

While that's setting I thought I'd make a start on the bench seat frame, I have a Baywindow 2/3 bench seat, and a Beetle rear base...

...I started by stripping the Bay seat...

...and realised that I only really needed these bits...

...blasted...

...painted and plonked in for a look see...

...broke out the pipe bender...

>>>>>CONT

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #40
moler
Forum Member

...made some inner sleeves...

...and got both sides to here...

...It needs to be adjustable for the MOT, so I'm going with a slotted bracket like the ones found in Split single cabs with a full width bench seat...

...instead of sleeving the rear tube, which isn't straight enough to sleeve, I going to make the flattened end from scratch, easy enough except the sides of the flat need to be the same width as the tube :P ...

...welded on, lovely...

...other side to same point, and spaced for ties across the top...

...to give an idea of the direction I'm going.

By now the rear had cured enough to work on, 24 hrs...

...started by bending the reveals in...
[img width=450 height=600]http://www.moler-inc.com/mi/0585.jpg[/img]

[img width=450 height=600]http://www.moler-inc.com/mi/0586.jpg[/img]

...then the seal edge out...
[img width=450 height=600]http://www.moler-inc.com/mi/0589.jpg[/img]

...and that's where I finished this afternoon...

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #41
moler
Forum Member

And there you go, right upto date, hope you like what I'm doing

Old October 27th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #42
moler
Forum Member

I managed to scavenge a few hours in the garage yesterday :D

I seem to have made life hard for myself by using 1.2mm thick sheet to cover the back, instead of 1mm. This basically increases the difficulty of bending those window edges exponentially.

Hammer rash is my foe here, and the bend isn't very flat either...

...a bit more work and it's now flat, but the rash will need more attention...

...the next bit to bend is the edge the seal goes on. The nearside end I bent to be proud of the frame...

...but I now think this makes the reveal to deep, so I'm going to change it. But first, to be sure I can cap it off nicely inside I put the joggle dies in my mates bead roller and had a play...

...that'll do it, so I went and bent the other end.

Bending the long bottom edge I found that if you got it most the way then used a clamp to finish the bend of it was much more crisp, I had company too...

...that did knacker the clamp though, so I've been and bought some more robust ones for the top. More garage fun tomorrow, I think I'll break the shrinker out and see if I can make a corner section :)

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:14 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old January 18th, 2015, 11:14 AM   #43
moler
Forum Member

Fuck a duck I haven't been in the garage to work on the rod since October!!

I haven't been idle, I've been decorating, playing with the Squareback, or being ill, oh and the small matter of Christmas!!

So I finally got in there yesterday to do a bit, then got side tracked and recommissioned the side door on the garage so I can keep the big door closed, but after that I changed the bonnet over to the oval one, and stripped the beam...

...I'm determined to use the long bonnet, so I'll engineer enough clearance. The beam is off to it's new home next week after I've narrowed it...

...I want an adjusterless one, I'll cut and turn it old skool stylee so I don't have the adjuster sticking it the tarmac ;)

So to today, this is how I left it in October...

...I need to bend it to create the seal edge. I needed some heavier duty clamps after killing the smaller one doing the bottom edge...

...ready for bending...

...and bent...

...next step is to make the corners. Enter the shrinker, I love using this, and wish I'd got the stretching jaws at the same time!...

...first pass...

...spot on...

...got a little carried away, but it is only weld...

...took ages to get it to this as I didn't want to over cook it...

...steps repeated for the top, it's not 100% there, but it's close...

...I've go the beam to narrow then I'll be back at it :)

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old January 25th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #44
moler
Forum Member

Not much done this week, well not on the rod! Narrowed a bug beam, leaves, and steering rods for a mate. Then did a bit on the Squareback, speedo, fuel gauge & sender, and washers & wipers. Only then did I get a couple of hours yesterday on the rod, no work today though as my club meet this morning, and then Outcast CC over in Hull this afternoon!!

So all I did yesterday was start on the other rear window corners...

...I've ordered some seal samples from Woolies, so hopefully I can trim the seal edge down to it final point soon.

Hopefully much more will get done next week and over a full weekend :)
Old January 31st, 2015, 11:42 AM   #45
moler
Forum Member

Seal samples from Woolies arrived...

...this one seems to work best...

...so with seal edge height decided, I trimmed it all down...

...next job, gutter, start with a straight section...

...then over to the trusty shrinker...

...bit of straightening on the return edge on a dolly...

...and I'd over cooked it!!...

...mark II...

...wasn't right either...

...third time lucky?

...err, no, FFS hahaha...

...what I need is a template...

...reassuring the same as the other side...

...that's better...

...unfortunately I came up against another problem, with an overhang equal to the side gutter...

...and test section of roof edge held in place...

...it's stepped back (or forward depending on which way you look at it ;) ) from the bodywork below (highlighted as it's a crap picture!)...

...but this was the least of my worries as I noticed that the side gutter is curving down, and rear section as it came round the corner was flat, and higher!...

...the above was from evenings early this last week, so I've been pondering on this problem since Wednesday. Today when I went in the garage all I did was sit and stare at it. I considered completely reworking the rear structure to lower the gutter, slicing the roof and raising the existing gutter, and even de-guttering the whole rear section and only having a gutter over the doors, but then I had a eureka moment, I'll curve the ends of the side and rear section down to a gutter stout :D so...

...for the rear gutter I first thought of curving it down from just above the seam line...

...this looked odd so I just did the tip...

...used the old copper trick to aid the infill...

...does my spout look big in this? :P a piece of old curtain pole!...

...well pleased with that, and relieved it worked...

...I've made a start on the other side...

...just the long section to make...

...more fun tomorrow :D

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:18 AM   #46
moler
Forum Member

Gutter complete...

...now to the roof, first job infill for the middle...

...much easier on my borrowed bead roller than using the hand joggler...

...how the hell do you clamp that in place while you weld it?...

...well it just so happens I have these bad boys...

...3mm hole and installed from the outside, no need to go inside...

...porcupine? :D ...

...the rigidity they have given the roof is amazing. Now I can look at the rear part of the roof, so I need a buck to form it against, plywood this time though...

...I want it to be even so I thought I'd mark the arc using one side of the roof like this...

...but when I spun it round it was bigger than the left side, so I remarked it using this side, for both sides...

...this went straight under...

....but as you'd expect, it left a gap...

...so I shimmed it up...

...10 points if you can ID the shims ;) ...

...shimmed up it's nice & tight and, most importantly, even...

:)

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old February 8th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #47
moler
Forum Member

Here we go then, roof edge...

...marked for cutting, for the tighter curves the slits are closer together...

...first tacks...

...I preformed the tighter curve and bend at the beginning...

...this might just work :P ...

...made this gadget to check the alignment...

...bit for the other end...

...used a grinding disc to form the curve...

...happy with that...

...made a trial piece to look at bend measurements...

...full size piece, well half size!!...

...because the two bends are close together, I couldn't quite make the 90, so I had complete it over a former, in this case the it's a long clamp...

...then back in the bender to crush the gutter edge square...

...fits quite well...

...marked for cutting...

...cut and tacked in...

...and repeat...

...started the mammoth weld up, but the first hit on the roof made it pull, it's worse than it looks in the picture :( ...

...hours of welding and waiting, welding and waiting...

...still bits to weld but had a peek inside, looks to flow nicely from roof to side...

...followed by hours of grinding...

...got bored and started chipping paint off the roof...

...also made an adapter for my angle die grinder on the lathe, so I can use up all the used slitting discs that would otherwise be bin fodder, this should save a few quid :) ...

...nearly finished the grinding, but my back is killing me!...

:)

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old February 16th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #48
moler
Forum Member

Not much done over the last week due to my back giving me hell after standing and grinding all that weld off, and Dubfreeze yesterday. I did manage a few hours include 3 today!!

The last bit of welding for the back end was the gutter corners, I decided rather than try and lay some plate in there I'd just build it up with weld and shape it to how I wanted it, this worked out quite well...

...I now need to wait for the warmer weather before skimming it with a little filler, so attention turns to the front...

...I cleaned the rest of the paint off from around the windscreen & scuttle, and removed the bars that had been holding the windscreen gap even, it looks odd now!!...

...I removed the scuttle/bonnet seal retaining channel too, always a rust monger...

...I'd arranged to swap the bonnet a while ago, as I had an '54 oval one and thought it would be better off on an oval than my rod, so I at Dubfreeze we arranged to swap. Unfortunately the bonnet he brought to swap was bent, so has a slight bump just about where the reflection is...

...we came to an arrangement were he bought my bonnet and still had this one, not sure yet if that was two step backward or not, but it did mean I could buy these...

...I got these off a fellow Volksrodder called Nathan, aka Volksgeek, nice to meet you dude :D These are 100mm, I have a pair of 6" ones, but decided to go more compact.

So today started with me tacking the forward most part of the roof infill as I couldn't retch from the back, this meant the last of the skin pins could come out...

...I'm tackling several areas at once here, but will start with the A post. If you recall the different front clip meant there was a mismatch in the windscreen pillars...

...slitting and opening up in tiny pie cuts was my only option...

...can you tell I didn't bring my 'A' game today :( ...

...next was the windscreen wiper delete...

...I have a salvaged section of windscreen edge thankfully...

...I used it for another small repair on this side too...

...next bit is to make a corner repair section, and fill the aerial hole up...

...but I finshed today looking at the gutter over the passenger side door. Picture isn't great, but basically rust has worked it's way under the folded over edge and pushed it out...

...so I cut the fold over off, wire brushed and rust treated it...

...I did the scuttle seal area too, and the opposite side gutter, and used the rest of the decanted rust treatment on the rear suspension area...

...I had a quick look at seals for the front safari window frame, looks like the smaller one will work better here...

...thats '113' in this picture Nathan :)

...I'm off again tomorrow, but if it's dry I'll be doing a bit on the squareback, however if it's raining, I'll on the rod ;)

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #49
moler
Forum Member

Left hand windscreen corner time, starts life like this...

...gets a bend just here...

...and bitten by the shrinker...

...easy does it...

...a tiny bit over done, nothing a very little planishing won't cure. I've never liked using the anvil on the back of my vice...

...but I found this bit of railway line off cut while out walking the dog, and thought it would make a good anvil...

...trimmed to fit...

...the level between the repair section and the car needed a little fine tuning and it's all to easy to miss hit it, so I do this. Hold one hammer in the exact spot you need to address, and tap the other end, no more misplaced hammer blows ;) ...

...aerial hole, this is the easy to make the repair patch...

...it's not all grinders you know...

...right hand side corner...

...and wiper delete...

...with the wiper delete well on the way, there's just enough of the salvaged windscreen edge left to get rid of this rust over the curve of the scuttle...

...and with that on it's way, more shrinker time...

...very happy with that even with the slits to ease the over cook :P...

...and that's how I left it...

...more garage time tomorrow :)

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: New pic url's
Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:56 AM   #50
moler
Forum Member

The windscreen edge is now finished, strangely I have no pics of that?? Anyway, I decided to bare metal the roof. With 4 layers of top coat plus primers I scraped as much paint off as possible before hitting it with a cleaning disc...

...things then got a little dusty...

...thank goodness for a garage hoover :lol: ...

...you may recall I said the roof pulled as soon as I hit it with the welder, even with one spot and loads of time to cool it pulled! I'm told it's because I joggled the infill piece? anyway here's the gap I'm left with even after knocking some of it out...

...I've decided to fill the bulk with fibre filler, then skim. If it gives me any trouble I'll cut the roof off and let in a whole new section, probably a sunroof one if I can find one ;)

I finally got a decent picture of the required gutter repair...

...I now need to replace the folded over lip...

...happy with that, attention now turns to the front...

...I want to brace the body to the beam, and in doing so give myself somewhere to mount the steering rack, something like this...

...although this angle better pleases my OCD ;) ...

...I want to start with a strengthening section under this lip across the front...

...I've removed the lip for the section to fit better...

...the question is how wide does it need to be, no point putting on one that's too short so I need to see where the inner arches are gonna go...

...pretty obvious that original inner arch has to go...

...looking at the curve using the opposite wing...

...trimmed the flange and rolled edge and offered it up...

...so it fits right up against the crossmember, that makes thing easier...

...so I sorted the other side too in the same way...

...boxsection for the crossmember...

...marked for clearancing around the steering column exit point...

...and that's were I left it tonight, I hopefully have a steering rack sorted, just need picking up :)

Last edited by moler; December 19th, 2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: New pic url's