Newest Member: THarr

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old March 17th, 2014, 04:19 AM   #251
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Default Re: I aquired another VW

The oil sending unit gets it's ground from the crank case. Part of that Sending unit HAS TO be in contact with the crank case in order to function properly, unless you have some other type of oil sending unit. As long as your JB doesn't cover and insulate it from all metal, it should work... but it will require that ground somehow, to throw you a low oil pressure light.
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #252
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
The oil sending unit gets it's ground from the crank case. Part of that Sending unit HAS TO be in contact with the crank case in order to function properly, unless you have some other type of oil sending unit. As long as your JB doesn't cover and insulate it from all metal, it should work... but it will require that ground somehow, to throw you a low oil pressure light.
Thank ya for the heads up, but I'm aware of that
I fixed another case years ago the same way in the same place, it wasn't stripped, it just had a crack on both sides of the threaded hole, I gouged & dovetailed the cracks out on the sides where the cracks were, then filled them with J-B Weld, then re-tapped it & it didn't leak again until I over rev'd the engine & the crank started going forward & back eventually ruining the thrust bearing surface

IF this doesn't start leaking again I'll just leave it go & drive it until I get my other case/engine rebuilt, I started rebuilding it in 1998, I had the case line bored in March of 98 (dadgum, that was 16 years ago), then I took it to work & decked the cylinder mounting surfaces to within 0.0005" to the cranks center-line, then I got sick soon after & it's been waiting for me to buy new parts, I just can't afford them yet, seems every time I'd get half the money to buy a C/W stroker crank something much more important would come up & there goes my engine money, life happens

IF it does start leaking again, & it's possible, I'll just drill it out to 1/4 inch pipe thread, I just need to look at it to see if it's possible to drill it that big without making the top side of the cases wall to thin, or I could just machine a special sleeve to go in, then re-tap the hole a bit lower on the case, guess I'll find out when I take a better look at it

I'm just happy I don't hafta lay something under it in the driveway to keep oil from getting tracked into the house, &, I don't leave spots of oil everywhere I go

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #253
Dakota Dave
Forum Member

Well I was checking CL out of boredom and found a post for a 1600 engine complete for $150. I wanted to get one to rebuild and put in my 65 so I would keep the original 1200 stock as the car is all original. So went to make the deal and the guy says his 65 baja is for sale also. It too has a 1600 and converted to 12v. So got that also for $1600. And the cool thing is he only had the add up for like 12 minuets lol.

So now I have two 65 bugs. The baja and the orig. And I have my 68 and the extra 1600 engine so now I can do a VR and have no guilt about chopping up my orig 65. It really was something I was struggling with.

So now I will be selling my 2001 bug and a couple of my bikes to get some cash to help with the bug projects. And honestly I need the room. All that's left on the wish list is a single cab...and maybe a karmann...oh and a notchback panel

Last edited by Dakota Dave; March 27th, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
Dakota Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:05 AM   #254
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

This is gonna be long, I'll say now, I'm not looking for pity or sympathy, I just need to vent, so why not vent to a place where I feel I have more friends, than all the friends I gave up just to keep my children away from a few friends who were just a bad influence & I didn't want my kids to grow up thinking that it's ok to do certain things

Good things never last very long, thought I had the oil leak fixed until I went up a steep hill, it seems to be leaking out either the rear crankshaft hole, which I installed a sand seal kit, it's not leaking from the sending unit hole as I first thought, but I may have possibly fixed that temporarily, it's either leaking from the case halves seam, or the crankshaft hole, I'm guessing it's time to pull the engine, tear it apart to make sure all the parts are assembled correctly, I just don't have the time, or energy to do either one, my health has started taking a slight turn, not terribly bad, it's just my hemoglobin level that is low & just doesn't want to go up even tho I'm having blood tests every other week followed by a Arenesp shot every other week, it really takes every ounce of energy right out of me, which sucks, but hey, I'm still breathing, not like I should be, I get to talking & talk myself out of breath, but then again, this is all a part of kidney disease, I've been dealing with it for 13 years as of July 17th 2000, the day I learned I was going to need a kidney transplant almost 14 years now, at times I just feel like tossing in the towel, but I can't leave the best person I have ever met in my life alone to pick up the pieces, I just can't do that, she has stood by my side thru thick & thin, the great times & the worst possible times.

I was asked to delete what I had vented about, so I did just that, can't argue with one's best friend, she knows best

If I don't post anything in a while, just know I'm doing everything I can to keep myself healthy, I have never quit anything except smoking cigs 25 years ago this October 14th, & now I'm giving up my pain meds, as well as the only other thing I do to help deal with my pain & that's marijuana, I'm done with all of it just to show that I can go without to the two who have made their father feel like he failed & I never let them know I used weed until they both graduated from school, thinking back, I should have never let them know at all

Just wish me luck & thanks to all the great friends I have made here, I will be back when things get better

Ronald S Smith

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; May 14th, 2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old April 1st, 2014, 01:41 PM   #255
richie
Forum Member

Hey man, I'm a good listener. Ya ever feel the need, 7634388234... I respect your venting..... Guys gotta let go now and then fer sure. If I knew mine would work, I'd give ya a kidney. Far as the kids, it's time they learn.... And that's the dad thing to do. Good on you. All will be well friend.
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:06 PM   #256
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Stay strong Ron, your doing the right thing! You can only wipe their butt for so long, time to let them deal with their own shit!
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:42 AM   #257
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well I lied, things haven't gotten better yet, he may get released from county jail today, I so wanna go down & try to convinve the judge to make him go into a drug program, but at his arrainment the judge did nothing to some of the worst offenders, I just couldn't believe it
I know now that then next time those judges come up for re-election they wont get my vote
This country has a very bad heroin problem, I have been taking ocycotin for 9 years, I stopped taking them this past Saturday & plan to visit my doctors to give what's left to them, I'll just suffer thru the pain of arthritis until the day I leave this world, the reason, my son can't thow it in my face that I take hillbilly heroin, he tried that the 1st time we cought him with it
This past time if my wife would have went to work (which is for the GOV I.R.S) were they take dogs around the parcking garage every single day, she'd be out a job, then I kick his ass so bad he wouldn't be able to even think of doing any drugs, I also gave up smoking marijuana on Saturday because I want nothing to do with illegal drugs, if it becomes legal for medical use I may use it again, but only if he is NOT living under my roof

Heart Broken & in pain, but that's life, no pain, no gain

Ronald S Smith

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:03 AM   #258
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

BTW, I still take 23 pills each & every day, altho none of them are narcotics or illegal meds, they are anti-rejection drugs to keep from rejecting my transplanted kidney & pancreas, an antibiotic for pnemonia, blood pressure, the rest are vitamins & an asprin

I'll just suck it up & hope for HOT weather from here until November

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:40 PM   #259
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Prayers for you, Ron. That kind of stuff is tough as hell. Just know I'm thinkin' of you and your love... and your world.
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:46 PM   #260
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Hey Ron! Hang in there...2014 is supposed to be a fantastic year. We can't appreciate the highs without a few lows to put it all in perspective.

Are you going to the swap meet up at Drew's Off-Road and Performance shop? It's on 13 April. Its in Hamilton - not too far from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 01:39 AM   #261
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
Prayers for you, Ron. That kind of stuff is tough as hell. Just know I'm thinkin' of you and your love... and your world.
@ SCOTTRODS , I thank you from the entirety of my heart, it means so much to my than anything, depending on when I get my forge up & running, I'll make a little something for just for the thoughts & prayers
again, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
Hey Ron! Hang in there...2014 is supposed to be a fantastic year. We can't appreciate the highs without a few lows to put it all in perspective.

Are you going to the swap meet up at Drew's Off-Road and Performance shop? It's on 13 April. Its in Hamilton - not too far from you.
Keith, I might just stop up there, it's not to too far, but it is almost 50 miles from my house, but as long as I don't have any other plans, I'll be sure & stop by, I'll first have to get permission from my wife, she's my social planner

Are you planning on going? it's a long drive for you

I was hoping 2014 was gonna be a fantastic year myself, but so far my health is getting worse, tomorrow ?I hafta visit my doctor & drop off the rest of my pain meds because I finished with them, I'd rather wobble around as if I'm in my late 70's, not only that I have had 2 different bone scans wgich revealed I have a few discs in my back that are completely gone, I still deal with the pain everyday for the most part since December 17th 1983, it just doesn't get any better unless it's hot & sunny, altho I'd settle for the 90's even if it was raining

Now about that oval window section, I hope to get it cut out very soon, I just need to buy more sawz all blades in order to cut it off, I'll let you know so we can make plans to get it out your way, if I had more money I'd even deliver it to you personally

To everyone else who had read this, if you kids still live at home, make sure your valuables are hidden really good, I never would have believes my oldest son would have ever stolen from me after all the stuff I did for him over the last 12 years I'd hsave never thought he of akl would steal probably 90 lbs of copper welding cable, I did trade a few old wood working hand tools for it, now I'm debating if I shouild start crapping parts just to boy parts for mine, but since my wife is the worker in the family as well as writes out all the mail, I got my disability check today, it'd all gone except for possibly $20.oo, that what's left of the $1671 I get once a month, then there is my wife (God Bless her) who spend $5 a day on cigarettes or more

I did talk to him on the phone for about 5 minutes, when he was told to save it until h gets out so he can call me so he doesn't call or tale a bus home, he knows I'll pick him up & bring him home, I'd do that, but the 3rd time he gets back on the heroin he can leave this house & NOT come back ever again unless I die before we even get to that point, I'm finished with drugs except the ones my doctor prescribes to me, but it'd gonna be the toughest thing I do, I'd give everything else away, just so he knows it is possible

Again, thanks for listening

To all my VW Friends,Thank you so much, it means the world to me for taking the time to read

Oh yeah, he gets to come home tomorrow on an electronic monitoring devise, if he can't stay clean I'll have him sent back to jail

Again thank you all

Ronald S Smith

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #262
DrHax
Forum Member

I know this probably won't mean much coming from a "newbie", but I really hope things come out for the best man. Reading all of that man, I feel for you. I really hope things turn your way, or worst case scenario they get some sense knocked into them I'm young and I don't understand how half of this stuff happens Seriously man, wish for the best for you

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #263
Number1tileguy
Site Supporter

Ron,

I have not posted because I honestly don't know what to say...

I want you to know that you and your family have been in my daily thoughts and prayers.
I hope and wish the best for you all at this time and encourage you to hang in there.

Don't give up on the pain meds too quickly (they were also given to you by your doctors) just because your kids cannot handle drugs doesn't mean you should suffer, as long as your responsible with the medication your taking I see no problem with it (this even means marijuana)

Your doing no good to anybody (this also means yourself) if your laid up in pain...

Hang in there buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67' Volksrod 2276cc (sold)

72' Baja Champion SE 1776cc

66' Volkstruck 1641cc
Number1tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 10:26 AM   #264
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1tileguy View Post
Ron,

I have not posted because I honestly don't know what to say...

I want you to know that you and your family have been in my daily thoughts and prayers.
I hope and wish the best for you all at this time and encourage you to hang in there.

Don't give up on the pain meds too quickly (they were also given to you by your doctors) just because your kids cannot handle drugs doesn't mean you should suffer, as long as your responsible with the medication your taking I see no problem with it (this even means marijuana)

Your doing no good to anybody (this also means yourself) if your laid up in pain...

Hang in there buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I greatly appreciate the thoughts & prayers, I truly believe in the power of prayer, otherwise I would not have lasted for the last 13 years, as I have said before & I'll keep on saying it until my heart stops, I'm gonna live well over 100 years, as long as I can keep on keeping on, I'll fight the good fight

I did visit my doctor Friday, I'm taking his advice & slowly weening myself off the pain meds, as long as I keep on moving, exercising, I'll be fine, I call it staying functionally fit, now I do know the roughest part is gonna be the slowing down, I'm always trying to hury & end up wearing myself out, last summer I started telling myself to walk slower, it will still be there when I get there, most of my hurrying is do in part to my pancreas transplant, look up "cell memory" & read about it, when I received the pancreas I was 4 months past my 40th birthday & the organ came from a 17 year old boy, so as of April 19th my pancreas will only be 25 years old, so I do have feelings of being younger than I am, I have been getting much better at walking to & from my garage to get tools & such, before I started telling myself to "slow down Ron" I was always out of breath after the 90 foot walk
Another reason I want to get off my pain meds is do to the side effects, the 2 main ones are loss of appetite, I need to gain weight rather than lose it, Friday I was down to 153 pounds, 6 weeks ago I was 169 pounds, the worst side effect is probably TMI, but I'm not ashamed of anything, it's the constipation that really gets to me, I'm at the point that as long as I stay moving, I can deal with the pain, I either stand around to watch TV, or I hafta lay down, otherwise my legs cramp up so bad it leaves bruises from my calves to my butt cheeks, then sitting is really uncomfortable

As far as weed goes, I already gave in on that, it helps take the edge off & helps me forget about the pain, I have learned that none of the pain meds I have taken over the last 9 months don't really even take the pain away, mostly they just act as a speed type buzz that keeps me from sleeping, but then again I never really ever slept for more than 5 hours a day, I do however sleep for a long period about every 2 months, so I figure it equals itself out

My son is home on 60 day electronic monitoring device, I'll be watching him like an eagle getting ready to attack it's prey, he's clean & I'll do whatever I can to keep him that way, I just hope he feels the same way 2 months from now when he is out on his own, I just hope he finds new friends, that's the only way to truly stay clean, hell my wife & I gave up our friends when we had kids just so they wouldn't think it was ok to do drugs, & when we did smoke, we never ever did it anywhere near them, we'd go in the bathroom one at a time & blow the smoke into the exhaust fan, she gave it up years ago, hell we even gave up drinking a few years back
Hell my youngest son keeps telling me to do a few shots of tequila every day as long as I don't hafta drive anywhere, he says I'm a much nicer person, which is true, I'm HAPPY after a shot or two, we did drink part of a bottle of 1800 tequila on this past new years, it just tears up my stomach from all the meds I have been on for the past 13 years, for some reason it seems as if pain motivates me to stay busy, but stomach pain is different & those med's are expensive, so it's easier to just not drink

Thanks again, I really like this forum, great people here, most of which I have never met, but one day I hope to start doing some traveling & meet as many of you face to face as I can

I'll keep on keeping on, I have a lot of life left in me, it's gonna take more than a few organ failures to take me out, the only thing I have no control over is others actions that could effect any one of us VolksRodder's, hell a satellite could fall out of the sky & do any of us in, if so, it was meant to be

Well I've written a book, & it's just now above 50 degrees out, I finally got the lights working on my trailer, so I'm gonna go see how the V-Rod pulls it, then tomorrow I hafta get a weight slip so I can buy license tags for it, then I can finally start getting rid of the piles of junk I have collected over the last 8 years, if I haven't done what I wanted by now, it's time to get rid of it, I can always get another & start again

Hope ya's all had a fantastic weekend, we had a great time all being together for the 1st time in months
<- hope to get my happy feet back, been listening to my I-Pod, I love music & at times do a little dance, gonna listen to Thunderstruck by AC/DC to get my blood pumping, probably one of my top 5 favorite songs of all times

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old April 6th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #265
strokerbug
Forum Member

Good mojo sent your way brother....
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:47 AM   #266
jkien65
Forum Member

I haven't posted as I am going thru my own personal hell as well. But I can honestly say that there isn't a day that goes by that you and your family aren't in my daily thought. I know we all have our own issues and our own problems to deal with. But be strong and know that you have a family here that will support you and try to give you encouraging words to get you thru. I used to share stuff here a lot but I have stopped doing it lately. It helps to talk about the problems and to get some helpful advice. Hang tough man, it all you can do, take care of you and your missus. Therest will work itself out eventually.
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:57 PM   #267
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I have a voltage regulator problem, I also have an alternator with an internal regulator, but after driving for a mile or so the generator light comes on & stays on, tomorrow I'll take to have it checked out
I also have an alternator which needs an external voltage regulator, actually I two of them, about 20 or so years ago I bought a basket case 73 standard Bug which had an alternator that required an external regulator, the PO had a brand new voltage regulator for it, I never used either of them because I used the alternator that had the internal voltage regulator, so while I'm waiting for the voltage regulator to arrive so I can use the almost new generator I have

My question is if anyone has an alternator that require the external voltage regulator, & if anyone can you tell me which wires go where, the alternator has a BAT+ for the battery, then a ground wire, & a plug that goes onto the alternator, the alternator's 3 prongs are marked D+, DF, & D-, the regulator has 3 prongs coming out of it but are not marked, I was wondering if someone may know which wires from the alternator goes to on the voltage regulator, I figure they are color coded so you can follow the wires from the alternator & which place they go on the regulator

Below are pictures on the alternator & the voltage regulator, any help would be great, I spent about an hour looking thru all the wiring diagrams but just can't find what I need because the plug that goes onto the regulator aren't marked which really doesn't help me as I don't have the wiring harness from that Bug, I knew I should have taken it out

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 1st, 2014, 03:25 PM   #268
DrHax
Forum Member

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19614

Does the regulator have anymarkings on it? If we know that we might be able to find it.

Old May 1st, 2014, 07:41 PM   #269
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19614

Does the regulator have anymarkings on it? If we know that we might be able to find it.
No markings at all except where it says "Regulator" on one side, but nothing to indicate what goes where, I may try to find asn old wiring harness from a 73 Bug that may still have the plug under the rear street that looks like the connectors on the regulator, I mat even see if I can buy just that part of the wiring harness, maybe I'll look on the Samba, I always forget to look for things there, so maybe I'll get lucky if not I have 2 good generators & 1 alternator that has an internal voltage regulator, it only works for a few miles, then the gen light comes on, this alternator was used off road on my rail buggy until 1987, so it could just be real dirty inside whick makes it over heat, tomorrow I'm gonna power wash it, then blow dry it with my leaf blower & try it again, if that doesn't fix it I'll see if the place that sold starter & alternator parts is still in business, if so I'll see if trhey might sell the internal regulator as it is removable
If that doesn't work out, I should get the new Bosch voltage regulator on Saturday at the latest & all will be fine

Thanks for the diagram

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 1st, 2014, 11:40 PM   #270
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
No markings at all except where it says "Regulator" on one side, but nothing to indicate what goes where, I may try to find asn old wiring harness from a 73 Bug that may still have the plug under the rear street that looks like the connectors on the regulator, I mat even see if I can buy just that part of the wiring harness, maybe I'll look on the Samba, I always forget to look for things there, so maybe I'll get lucky if not I have 2 good generators & 1 alternator that has an internal voltage regulator, it only works for a few miles, then the gen light comes on, this alternator was used off road on my rail buggy until 1987, so it could just be real dirty inside whick makes it over heat, tomorrow I'm gonna power wash it, then blow dry it with my leaf blower & try it again, if that doesn't fix it I'll see if the place that sold starter & alternator parts is still in business, if so I'll see if trhey might sell the internal regulator as it is removable
If that doesn't work out, I should get the new Bosch voltage regulator on Saturday at the latest & all will be fine

Thanks for the diagram

Ron
Could you take the internal regulator from the one that doesn't work and make it work in the external one I don't know how these things work... just a thought

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:02 AM   #271
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Could you take the internal regulator from the one that doesn't work and make it work in the external one I don't know how these things work... just a thought
Well I'm not exactly sure whats wrong with the alternator with the internal regulator, as I said I have had it on my car 2 different times, both times ikt works just fine, then after a few miles the light comes on
Last night I took the internal regulator part way out & noticed it was really dirty, well I ran that alternator on m,y rail buggy when I was into off roading, so it may just be so full of dirt that it is over heating, I might take it to the self serve car was & pressure wash it, then blow it dry with my leaf blower, then take to have it tested, if it works on their testing machine for longer than 5 minutes I'll put it back on my car & see what happens

Does anyone know of places that still sell alternator & starter parts? back in the 90's there was a place a few miles north of me that sold parts to rebuild starters & alternators, they had every part imaginable, I called the number I had from back then, but it's no longer in service, so either they moved, or just closed the door do to places like Autozone selling complete parts for less than it takes to rebuild one

I just have never had any luck with starters or alternators from Autozone, I even bought a starter which had a life time warrenty, after replacing it 6 times, I just demanded my money back, after talking in circles with the manager & learning that when they get the cores back, they test them, fix what's necessary, clean them, but if it tests out good, they clean it up & send it back to a store to be sold to some other unsuspecting guy who will most likely hafta crawl under his car only to bring it back to get another one, so I have never bought any electronic parts from them since around 1p95

I just checked the tracking number for the external regulator which goes with a generator, it should be here by tomorrow, I was hoping it would be here today, but that was just wishful thinking, it left Tucson AZ last night at 10:27 pm, but it may not get here until Monday, today would be much better, but as I said I'll never buy anything electronic from Autozone, & there is one less than a half mile walk from my house, when the trees have no leaves, I can see the sign from the end of my street

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:46 PM   #272
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Well I'm not exactly sure whats wrong with the alternator with the internal regulator, as I said I have had it on my car 2 different times, both times ikt works just fine, then after a few miles the light comes on
Last night I took the internal regulator part way out & noticed it was really dirty, well I ran that alternator on m,y rail buggy when I was into off roading, so it may just be so full of dirt that it is over heating, I might take it to the self serve car was & pressure wash it, then blow it dry with my leaf blower, then take to have it tested, if it works on their testing machine for longer than 5 minutes I'll put it back on my car & see what happens

Does anyone know of places that still sell alternator & starter parts? back in the 90's there was a place a few miles north of me that sold parts to rebuild starters & alternators, they had every part imaginable, I called the number I had from back then, but it's no longer in service, so either they moved, or just closed the door do to places like Autozone selling complete parts for less than it takes to rebuild one

I just have never had any luck with starters or alternators from Autozone, I even bought a starter which had a life time warrenty, after replacing it 6 times, I just demanded my money back, after talking in circles with the manager & learning that when they get the cores back, they test them, fix what's necessary, clean them, but if it tests out good, they clean it up & send it back to a store to be sold to some other unsuspecting guy who will most likely hafta crawl under his car only to bring it back to get another one, so I have never bought any electronic parts from them since around 1p95

I just checked the tracking number for the external regulator which goes with a generator, it should be here by tomorrow, I was hoping it would be here today, but that was just wishful thinking, it left Tucson AZ last night at 10:27 pm, but it may not get here until Monday, today would be much better, but as I said I'll never buy anything electronic from Autozone, & there is one less than a half mile walk from my house, when the trees have no leaves, I can see the sign from the end of my street

Ron
I understand that. We had good luck at stores due to my mothers bug being Mexican. A starter we bought was a Mexican borsch one refurbished by the factory there. That worked great because it was new in the box..

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:01 AM   #273
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Yesterday evening I called the only good auto parts store close to me, bout a 3 minute drive unless I get stopped at the traffic light, anyway, the guy that's been working there since I can remember gave me two different places that rebuilds starters & alternators, as well as sell parts to rebuild them yourself, the one is about 9 miles from me, the other is about 15 miles, I'm so glad there are places like this around still

My father-in-law had a radiator shop that was probably in his family since cars had radiators, then Autozone stores started popping up in every neighborhood selling cheap radiators for less than it cost him to fix them, it slowly took away business, a few years ago I bought a "new" radiator from Autozone & was disappointed at the quality of it, ended up leaking after about 6 months, it was mainly because it was one of the aluminum cores & plastic tanks, it started leaking where the plastic tank & aluminum core are clamped together

I'd rather pay a higher price for a copper radiator, much more reliable than the rubber seal in the new type radiators

Oh yeah, my voltage regulator just got dropped off a few minutes ago, I'm headed out to get my car on the road again

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:20 AM   #274
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Yesterday evening I called the only good auto parts store close to me, bout a 3 minute drive unless I get stopped at the traffic light, anyway, the guy that's been working there since I can remember gave me two different places that rebuilds starters & alternators, as well as sell parts to rebuild them yourself, the one is about 9 miles from me, the other is about 15 miles, I'm so glad there are places like this around still

My father-in-law had a radiator shop that was probably in his family since cars had radiators, then Autozone stores started popping up in every neighborhood selling cheap radiators for less than it cost him to fix them, it slowly took away business, a few years ago I bought a "new" radiator from Autozone & was disappointed at the quality of it, ended up leaking after about 6 months, it was mainly because it was one of the aluminum cores & plastic tanks, it started leaking where the plastic tank & aluminum core are clamped together

I'd rather pay a higher price for a copper radiator, much more reliable than the rubber seal in the new type radiators

Oh yeah, my voltage regulator just got dropped off a few minutes ago, I'm headed out to get my car on the road again

Ron
Yeah I've learned my lesson with cheap parts along time ago. You get what you pay for.... issue is with everybody being cheap we prefer quantity over quality.

Old May 4th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #275
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well it took me all dadgum weekend, but I finally got my charging system fixed

It all started after I put the engine y'all gave me, I always pull the wires from the regulator & tape them up so the hot wire to the generator isn't "hot"
When I went to put them back onto the voltage regulator the one wire's connector broke off & the wire landed on the voltage regulator sending sparks everywhere, I grabbed it as quick as I could, put a new female spade connector on it, hooked it back up, started the car, after about 30 seconds the generator light came on, so I checked everything out & all the testing told me the voltage regulator was bad, so I ordered a new one, it came Saturday morning, I put it on, started the car & the flippin light was still on
So, I have 2 extra used generators laying around, one was brand new, well I bought it back in December of 1994 for my 66 Bug, then January 30th 1995 I had to use a utility pole to stop during a snow storm, hit the brakes to slow down to make a left hand turn, now remember the old Bugs had a suicide cylinder on them, so if a brake line broke, all your brakes went out, it broke right behind the pedal assemble, I wasn't able to turn in the snow, so I grabbed the E-Brake handle & the cables broke, so it was hit a parked car, or hit the pole, I chose the pole, the Bug was never safe enough to drive again

Now back to Saturday, I got the slightly used, but 19 year old generator off the shelf I blew all the dust off, it looked fine & it spun fine, so I put it on the car & the dadgum light still wouldn't go out
I had 1 used generator left that I didn't think would work, so this morning (well it's now Monday here so it was yesterday) I took the well used generator & put it on, broke a dadgum bolt off, went & got the hand drill & it grabbed the broken screw & spun it right thru the hole in the fan shroud, finally got everything mounted & hooked up, & then I was leery about starting it in fear of the generator light coming on, I finally turned the key & it worked, took it for a spin with the lights on, the wipers on, I even turned the hazard lights on, the light stayed off

So now I finally have a car that won't require me to do anything but general maintenance, change the oil often & adjust the valves with every oil change, the only thing left to do is drill the case for my full flow oil filter set up so the engine is just that much more protected from foreign objects in the oil

Again, I thank you all

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS