Newest Member: dedo_br

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old October 30th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #326
DrHax
Forum Member

Default Re: I aquired another VW

It's the small stuff that eludes us when we're looking at the big picture..Hell I've taken apart my computer to swap out a graphics card.. put it back together turn it on.. and wonder why It won't start up to realize I didn't put the CPU fan on or the new graphics card it happens.. sometimes we just Derp.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 03:22 AM   #327
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

My wife & I dressed up for years & took our kids out, then once the kids were to old, we decorated the house & dressed up, lots of little kids were afraid of us & wouldn't even walk up the driveway, as the years past less & less people would walk all the way down our street, being the last house on the street & the only house passing out candy, we just stopped
Altho in 2016, I'm gonna decorate BIG (I turn 50 that January & never having a Birthday party, I'm gonna party everyday all year long), my plans are to make a few large metal pumpkins that shoot fire balls 30+ feet in the air & a few that shoot fire out their mouths, I hope to get the attention of people up on the main roads, we live in a valley between one major road thru the township & another main road

OSS
That brings back a memory from high school, guys would come to the machine shop from all the other classes to use our belt sander, to make things "sine"

It's not the simple stuff, it's that I'm so use to thinking "WCS" when something does go wrong, even tho I stay positive about everything, my first thought are always "Wellp, here we go again" but, depending on the situation, most times I can fix whatever it is

OK, HAPPY Halloween, one of my wife's favorite days of the year

This
is what I woke up to this morning, let me explain, I get up every morning at 4:20 am (been doing it for years, why change now) I wake up to a disturbing sound of "spppppppppprrr rattle rattle rattle, shpppppppprrr" at 3:45 am, I was like WTF is that, I look down the hall & see this red haze thru the light, so I ask, "WHAT are you doing" she steps out &

She looks tired huh

I think the eye lashes are too cool

Then she added more color, if there would have been a spark, our house would have went up in a ball of fire, for the second time

She usually does a much better job with the face paint, she said she didn't have enough time, I'll see if I can find some old pics of her later
BTW, she said she's a cheerleader, the coat is from high school, she got it 32 years ago, so a year & two weeks ago she was told she had type 2 Diabetes, knowing first hand what it can do ro ones body, she made a change, no diets, she says diets die, she just changed how she eats, she lost 65 lbs & her A1C dropped back to normal, our doc put her on 2 Metformin a day back in January (a type 2 diabetes med, one day I'll hafta tell ya's what I learned about that stuff & drug rep's pushing the stuff, some scary crap), now she's down to 1/4 of a pill a day now, if her A1C is still normal in 2 weeks when she goes to see the doc, she will be taken off it
A couple months from now she will look just like she did the day I met her 31-1/2 years ago, she was luck to weigh 120 lbs fully dressed & soaking wet
When I was at my sickest point about 10 years ago, her take on the word "Diabetes" is, you can do nothing & you will slowly "Die", or, you can take charge & "Beat" it, it's all in the word, she's great when it comes to putting things into simple terms so even a 2 year old can understand, I been telling for years that she's in the wrong line of work

Y'all enjoy your day I sure will
If I decide to "dress up" (or down) I'll be sure to get pics

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #328
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So it's been a while since I've done anything to my V-Rod besides driving it, anyhow, I have been planning to make a set of tail light housings for it a long time ago, I don't have any large billets of aluminum laying around, so I plan to cast a couple out of aluminum using the "Lost Foam" method, cut out the shape you want in styrofoam, glue the pieces together, bury in sand, pour molten aluminum on it & the foam vaporizes & if your lucky you will end up with a part exactly like the styrofoam you started with
I tried a couple smaller pieces, but they were much larger to make sure there was enough material left to clean up when machining them
So the first one I tried was about 5-3/4" diameter by about 4 " long, I couldn't get the metal hot enough, it was 15 degrees F & I was just about out of propane, needless to say the molds didn't fill completely
So I decided to try them a different way using thinner material that doesn't require as much aluminum as the first one did, I hope to cast them over the weekend just as long as I have time, I only made 1 pattern, if it works out I'll need to make another one, they will finish at 5-1/2" diameter, 5-1/2" long & will be hollow on the inside

IF it turns out I'll then need to make some sort of mount for them, I'll worry bout that once I get 2 good housings cast, below is a picture of the insulation type foam I used for these, I prefer the white stuff, but this pink kind is all I have
BTW, the black piece at the top right side with the hole in it is a mount they use for mounting these lights on semi trailers

This is purty much what they will look like before machining if they turn out, if they don't turn out, I'll then just cast a solid billet & machine them from that

Other than this I haven't done much to the V-Rod except drive it, I hope to make 4 of these, then 2 smaller ones for turn signals

I hope to be updating this soon, only time shall tell

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #329
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So yesterday we had a warm spell, it was almost 35 degrees warmer than the previous day, yet it was only 22 degrees, I decided to beat the cold & fired up my foundry furnace & attempted to cast a tail light housing
It didn't turn out as I had hoped, so I'm gonna do it the traditional way & make a wooden pattern, temper my sand & give it another go, I should have done it this way to begin with, but only because my molding sand & molding bench are buried under a bunch of tools & other odds-n-ends
I'm able to get to everything, I just need to find a place to put everything that is on top of the bench, glue some wood together & whittle a pattern, I might get one cast in about 3 weeks, possibly 4
Below is a pic of the failed attempt, altho it may clean up & work, it just won't be like I want them, plus, I can save a bunch of metal casting them this way

Almost looks good here

Then this shows where it went wrong, as I said, I could just make the rest of them an inch shorter, but I'd rather use less material, machine less off & make them how I want them

Probably would have been successful if I had melted 1 lb more aluminum & added another gate/runner up near the top, a smaller pattern which would have used much less material would have been much better too

Gimme a few weeks to make a pattern & get my sand tempered properly & I'll cast 4 of them

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old June 23rd, 2015, 10:32 PM   #330
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So in about 4 weeks is the local "Rolling on The River" car show, then the end of September is the Cincinnati VW show, as usual I wait until the last minute to do anything to my VolksRod, the few friends I have tell me to do nothing to it & just put it in as is, meaning don't bother cleaning it, it looks rough, rust showing all around the bottom of it, lost 2 chrome rings for the wheels, I could put the center caps back on, they're the triple fin spinner looking kind, I just need to make 4 large washers to screw them onto the Oldsmobile wheels, but I have different plans
Last year I started widening another set of VW wheels, 8 inch in back & 6 inch up front, I have everything ready to weld, I just need to cut the ring I rolled for the front wheels in half, it's 4 inches wide & I need two pieces 2 inches wide, I should be able to get them finished in time
The only other thing I need to do is finish my dropped spring plates I started last year, then put my adjustable beam back on the front, get it back down 4 inches lower than it is, it looks better when it almost drags
The only thing I wish I had started sooner is a new rear bumper/cage, or guard that goes more with the car, get rid of the cage from my Buggy so it doesn't get mistaken for a Baja Bug (even when the front was so low it wouldn't go over a beer can on it's side, people still asked me if I drive it off road) I might get the rear bumper finished by the VW show (don't hold me to it, I still haven't gotten my workshop straightened up yet)

I should start drawing up what I want it to look like, I just can't do it on this lil hand help computer/telehone thingy, that way I can get y'all's input on it, either way i'll get to it some day soon

I'm starting to slow down now that I'm getting older, my health may have a bit to do with it, but hey, that's life, I just go with it, until next time

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old June 24th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #331
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Good to hear your tinkering on you ride.
When I whip up a design, I use my trusty 9" x12" Strathmore drawing pad and a 2B pencil. Down in the lower right corner I print 'NO SCALE' so I don't confuse myself (too badly) when I'm building the part. A nice eraser is also helpful.

Last week a new neighbor stopped by to check out the Single Cab. Then he asked, "when do you think you'll finish your truck?" Sigh.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:49 PM   #332
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I try to tinker with it everyday I can, even the days I don't make it out the house at all, I use a # 2 pencil & spiral notebook & an eraser is a must
So I have all my wheels read to be welded, just waiting on my son to have a day off work, to finish them
The beam is about ready to go back on, the one thing I know I won't get finished are the rear trailing arms, I have them switched, now I just need to fab up the lower shock mounts or buy shorter shocks, well I'm not gonna spend any $$ on shocks, so I'll just build custom lower shock mounts
I almost forgot, I took the tan fabric seats from a 92 Honda Accord I had in a few years ago, I cut 3-1/2 inches from the bottom so I would sit as low as the Recaro seats do, I just need to paint the seat frames & put them in, I hope to recover the Recaro seats & get tem back in by winter time, I just wish I knew a good way to change the tan fabric to a dark color, black would be great, but I'd settle for anything that's dark
And last I'D like to get my oil filter mounted permenetly, I have a bracket I need to cast one day next week, then drill n tap the engine for a full flow oil

Oh yeah, next weekend I'm gonna see if I can add a few pictures using my grand daughter's lap top, a few more weeks away I'm gonna take my computer to have it fixed, then I won't get anything finished outside the house

I hope to show some changes soon

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 11th, 2015, 08:03 AM   #333
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well no pics, my granddaughter didn't come over
I haven't gotten much done over the past week, been trying to get my garage in order (which could take forever)
A few friends of mine are telling me to put it in the car show as is, don't wash it, leave it alone, since I drive it purity much everyday, most of the people see it on a daily/weekly basis depending what part of town I'm driving at, I may just do it, after all it sure fits the Rat Rod catagory, if I get the wheels done I might put them on, or I may just put the knock off center caps on the Oldsmobile wheels & be done with it, I may put the oil filter bracket on it if I get it cast before then

But hey, I can walk around my garage without stepping over stuff, so I am getting something done

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old August 21st, 2015, 06:46 PM   #334
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post

But hey, I can walk around my garage without stepping over stuff,
so I am getting something done

I am getting something done
I am getting something done
Ron

Hey you're five thousand steps ahead of me. This is how my bug is!

This picture doesn't even have the original super beetle heater channels I'm fitting to my car... Its johnny cash style.. Come on everybody Has a 1966 front end, 68 rear end.... No? Awww

Old August 21st, 2015, 08:35 PM   #335
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

So, mint condition in Illinois then?
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 08:48 PM   #336
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
So, mint condition in Illinois then?
Jeff
Same in MN

Mn likes it roads like it likes it's margarita glasses covered in salt!

Not good for anything thats not made out of plastic.

Old August 23rd, 2015, 09:22 PM   #337
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Ohio VW's rust is original equipment, Ohio winter salt has done a number on my Volksrod, next year I'll poll hafta separate the body & pan to fix the rust that's spread over the last 4-1/2 years

Just this past Friday I went to visit my 102 year old gramma, she's now in an assisted living home, she hates it, I'don't live with her 3 to 4 days a week if the rest of the family would help me out, she just can't be left alone
Ok, back to my story, when I left her my clutch cable broke, it was 6 pm Friday evening, taffic is terrible, but I drove it home with no clutch, only had to stop at 4 of the 10 traffic lights, taking off in 1st gear by starting the car in gear makes everyone say/think WTF, that's an entire story of its own, I think it belongs in the WTF thread, you'll understand after readind

So I go to replace the cable, had trouble getting the new one in, thought I was gonna hafta pull the engine & trans, reverse finally went out in the trans, remember this is the trans from my rail, so I took the original trans that was in my VR & pulled it apart, reverse gear was real bad, I have a good reverse gear from another trans, I'm gonna swap it out for the good one, that way I can go backwards again
I'D post pics of the bad gears but I still can't figure out how on this here mini computer, if I could text them to the forum I would, this will be my fist VW transaxle repair, if anyone has any tips please feel free to leave them, luckily everything inside looks good (except reverse gear), so I hope it all goes back together & I don't need to add shims, check clearences, they should be purty much the same, either way I'll find out, wish me luck, it only suck if I hafta backup a slight grade, I just take it real slow
Just 3 h I us ago I finished up the cable, which is good cause I need a car tomorrow morning & afternoon
I tell ya, my VR keeps me Functionally Fit, last 2 days I have been so busy I didn't have time to stop n fart, then it's back to work on a 94 S10 truck, I think this makes at least 18 of them between my son & I
Well that's it today, I'll let ya's know in a few days how it turns out, let the Fun Begin.......

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old September 2nd, 2015, 01:16 PM   #338
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I have done a lot of reading about VW trans-axles, the one thing I learned, but have not checked myself (today was rest day) is that the reverse gear is the only one in the trans-axle that has not been hardened, I'll check the bad gear with a file tomorrow to see if it's hard
Does anyone know why this is?

IF I knew exactly what kind of material it is made from I'd heat treat it myself, but then again they didn't do that for a reason
Does anyone know why?

Other than that I hope to start reassembling it Saturday or Sunday, I'd hate to get to the up coming VW show & hafta get out & push it backwards, but then again mine is most likely one of the few that is driven almost everyday of the week

BTW, now that my computer is working I can post pictures, below is a picture of the bad reverse gear & the one I'm replacing it with, I still need to clean it up, it's been sitting in a box for the last 12 to 13 years

I also decided to make a new license plate light housing, I mentioned a while back about a skull I cast, well that's gonna be what I'll put the light in, not sure what kind of light I'm gonna use, I haven't even looked at any light sockets to see whats available, I do know that I'm gonna put red lights in the eyes, or just put red lenses in the eyes to give it that Evill look

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:08 PM   #339
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
So I have done a lot of reading about VW trans-axles, the one thing I learned, but have not checked myself (today was rest day) is that the reverse gear is the only one in the trans-axle that has not been hardened, I'll check the bad gear with a file tomorrow to see if it's hard
Does anyone know why this is?

IF I knew exactly what kind of material it is made from I'd heat treat it myself, but then again they didn't do that for a reason
Does anyone know why?

Other than that I hope to start reassembling it Saturday or Sunday, I'd hate to get to the up coming VW show & hafta get out & push it backwards, but then again mine is most likely one of the few that is driven almost everyday of the week

BTW, now that my computer is working I can post pictures, below is a picture of the bad reverse gear & the one I'm replacing it with, I still need to clean it up, it's been sitting in a box for the last 12 to 13 years

I also decided to make a new license plate light housing, I mentioned a while back about a skull I cast, well that's gonna be what I'll put the light in, not sure what kind of light I'm gonna use, I haven't even looked at any light sockets to see whats available, I do know that I'm gonna put red lights in the eyes, or just put red lenses in the eyes to give it that Evill look

Ron
Use it as a extra brake light... Or have a red light in it that turns when you hit the brakes.. If you want license plate lights directly on it.. you could actually get LED license plate studs they make for motorcycles that shine light on it. 12 volt you get two for like 10 bucks. I may use those on my 1968 if I don't re-drill the holes for the original license plate light.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:03 AM   #340
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Ron... I'd bet the reverse gear wasn't expected to get as much run time, so they figured in the wear rate at Non treated, and left it non treated due to costs. Other than that, Probably wouldn't hurt it to heat treat it. Know anyone that analyzes metals? That would be the first step to take. Once the metal is identified, heat treating is a breeze. Find a reverse gear for destructive testing (Looks like that one in the pic could be sacrificed), and find an identical VW original to heat treat.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 01:25 PM   #341
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Maybe they left out the hardening to keep folks from breaking things up when they shifted into reverse while still moving forward. (um, not that I have ever done that) Kind of a sacrificial part....this would be my WAG.
Old September 4th, 2015, 05:59 AM   #342
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

A friend of mine has a friend who works at a place that has one of those gun like things that you point at the metal & it tells you what it is, the only problem is last time he went to my friends place it cost him $100 to see what type of stainless steel a giant tank was, depending on the type of stainless it was changed the scrap price by almost $1000, I don't have that kind of money to do a tiny gear
I'll just touch the old gear on a grinder to see what kind of spark it throws, then I'll heat treat the old gear & see what happens, if it works I'll do it to the good one
I just need reverse, as long as I'm on level ground I can go backwards a few feet at a time before it pops out, I just can't go up any kind of grade no matter how small it is
I hope to get it back together by the 26th because Sunday the 27th is the VW & Porsche show, I don't wanna hafta push it backwards, but then again it may not matter since I'm probably one of a few that drives their VW everyday all year long, about the only time I don't drive it is when I'm doing something to it that requires it to sit for a few days
I may just wash the outside, clean the inside & be done with it, oh I almost forgot, I need to change the rear tires, I still have the snow tires on it, I guess that's why everyone asks me if I drive it off road, I then hafta point out the front end, it won't clear a beer can laying on it's side, I so need to get that pan finished that I started a few years ago, I just can't find a day to meet up with my friend to get another piece of the 1-1/2" by 3" tubing I made the rest of it out of, I suppose that will be my winter project, then it will ride so much better with the suspension being set at it's original position

I have so much I wanna do, I just seem to be having more bad days than good, but then again, I'm still alive & able to do almost everything I always could, I'm just much slower, it's my mind that has a tough time coming to terms with that

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old September 24th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #343
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

A few weeks ago I put different turn signal lights on after finding them in a box of motorcycle parts that have been sitting around taking up much needed floor space in my garage, the turn signal lights came off a 1970 CB 350 Honda (I think that's what it was), when I took them off, the plan was to put them on my VolksRod, I think that was around 2012, hell it may have been earlier than that, the box disappeared some how
I started moving several boxes from around the BIG Blue hunk of metal, it just so happens to be a 92 Eldorado that's taking up way to much space in my garage, ya see I'm gonna try to sell it, if nobody wants to buy it, then I'm gonna call the scrape man, or tow it down there myself

So now that I have some super bright turn signal lights on, nobody can say they can't see them light up during the day, I've had a few people yell "nice turn signal _ _ _ _ _ _ _ !!!
But, they do work, just to small & not very bright during a nice sunny Sunday afternoon

Here's a couple pictures

They need some adjusting this way & that, I really didn't check to make sure the fender bolt holes are located in the exact same location on both sides, it really doesn't appear that they are the same on both sides front & rear, but then again it gives it a bit of much needed personality

I still haven't gotten the trans-axle back together yet, mainly because I've been busy with other important stuff, I have everything cleaned up, I just need to put the reverse gear in, then slide that section of the trans-axle back on, make sure it shifts thru all the gears & reverse, then tighten everything up & swap the good one for the bad one
I'm thinking about buying the freeway flyer 4th gear set as well as a new reverse gear & putting that in the trans-axle that's in the car now (with no reverse), or better yet, just save my pennies, nickles & dimes & buy all new heavy duty gears & completely rebuild the trans-axle so it can be driven on the highways & not sound like it's gonna wind up so tight it's gonna break something

This Sunday the 27th is the VW & Porsche show, right now it doesn't look like my car is gonna make it, bout the only way I'll take it there is IF I can be promised I won't hafta back up, that is unless it's just a foot or less on flat ground, I should just go anyway, been driving it for a few months now & only once did I need to backup, luckily VW's are purty easy to push a few feet here or there, I m,ay go & just leave my car home, but that's never any fun

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old October 23rd, 2015, 09:06 PM   #344
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well was a year Wednesday since putting the donated engine in after going thru it, it has a little over 6400 miles on it & is running strong, I still drive it at least 4 to 5 days a week, not nearly as much as I was driving last year at this time, some days I was averaging 130 miles a day, I need to change the oil next chance I get, I just need to drag myself out & do it, should be easy since part of it involves laying on my back, I've been spending a lot of time on my back lately, but it comes & goes, kind a use to it, after all it will be 15 years this January 2nd since getting my 1st used organ

Again I wanna thank you all for what you did for me, I have nothing but love for everyone of you & the timing was good too, yeah in the beginning it had it's problems, but after I put it in, my wife's car had to be parked for a few weeks, then again back this past spring one of the idler pulleys broke, I had to wait for my son to get home to fix it, I gave it a go, it's not like a VW, 15 years ago I probably could have fixed it, he dang near had to take to engine out to get that dadgum old pulley off & the new one on

I hadn't been feeling that well the past month, so it's been tough for me to get out & do much, after a routine doctors visit I learned my iron was low, that's why I felt like I had to physically drag myself anywhere, I had to have a series of iron infusions, they made me feel a bit worse, just today I started feeling a bit better, on top of that my wife won $50 on a scratch off lottery ticket this afternoon, about 10 years ago she would buy 3 tickets everyday, she hadn't bought any for months, then today she said she felt lucky, so she bought 1 ticket & won $50, that made me feel even better, so good in fact I went & got my propane tank filled

Now that I have fuel I'm gonna get the piece for my oil filter mount cast, I also found a couple nice sized styrofoam skulls, I'm gonna see if I can make them into some tail lights, below are a couple pictures of the small skull I cast over the summer, I hollowed it out & I'm gonna try to make it into a license plate light, glue some red lenses of some kind into the eye holes to give it that "Evill" look, I just about have my bench where I keep & make my sand molds cleared off, so hopefully this winter I can get a few projects going

This is the styrofoam skull before cast

After shake out, I should have put something next to it for size reference, it's about the size of my fist, it's really rough because I couldn't get to my bucket of fine sand & I had to use my bucket of play sand, it's really coarse & I couldn't find my riddle to clean it up at all

Here is is after lots of polishing with a red colored light bulb inside, I think it looks purty cool

Still haven't gotten the transmission back together, I did however get the differential in, I just need to seal up the side plate & bolt it down, putting it in the car is another story, I need to get on the ball as the weather is starting to change, might take me a few days, I don't care for these cold mornings, I need to wear my hoodie when it's 65 degrees & the sun isn't out otherwise I'm shivering

I hope I have something to show in a few weeks, or possibly months

Again I wanna thank you all for your gift

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old October 23rd, 2015, 09:52 PM   #345
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Glad you're hanging in there Ron. The skull is veeery cool! Um, I mean, Eviil.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 11:47 PM   #346
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Alright Ron! Glad to hear and see that you are still making some Evill progress!!

I am making some progress too - clearing out some space and finishing up a few things so I can actually start a real project. I am trying to decide which to do first - an RPU that I have all the pieces for or my mild '63 chop.

I am almost 100% that I will do the RPU first - clears out some space in the yard and will be a pretty low budget affair since I already have everything for it. (Just short on time - always seem to get pulled to do something else)

Anyway.....why do I mention my projects in your thread?

Am I hijacking?

Not really.

I want to give you plenty of notice and time to plan. I hope to finish the RPU in 2016, which means that I should start the mild chop in 2017.......

which means that in 2017 you can take a road trip out to Arizona to bring me the oval clip!!

....and see Bisbee, Fort Bowie, Fort Huachuca, Cochise Stronghold and Tombstone!

Or - I will come there and get it (you will still need all that time to finish cleaning out your shop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 06:34 AM   #347
alykat
Site Supporter

Good job Ron !
Old October 25th, 2015, 11:11 AM   #348
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
Alright Ron! Glad to hear and see that you are still making some Evill progress!!

I am making some progress too - clearing out some space and finishing up a few things so I can actually start a real project. I am trying to decide which to do first - an RPU that I have all the pieces for or my mild '63 chop.

I am almost 100% that I will do the RPU first - clears out some space in the yard and will be a pretty low budget affair since I already have everything for it. (Just short on time - always seem to get pulled to do something else)

Anyway.....why do I mention my projects in your thread?

Am I hijacking?

Not really.

I want to give you plenty of notice and time to plan. I hope to finish the RPU in 2016, which means that I should start the mild chop in 2017.......

which means that in 2017 you can take a road trip out to Arizona to bring me the oval clip!!

....and see Bisbee, Fort Bowie, Fort Huachuca, Cochise Stronghold and Tombstone!

Or - I will come there and get it (you will still need all that time to finish cleaning out your shop)

Hijack away, God knows I have done it countless times

I hope to get it cut up by spring, but I've said that about lots of things just different seasons, WCS I'll ship it out to ya by Greyhound, I'd like to make a trip out west, been wanting to do it for the last 20 plus years, I doubt it will be next year, but then again it could be, I'll be 50 in January & plan to celebrate each & everyday for a year, I need to make up for 50 years of B-days sitting at home in the snow & ice that always seemed to happen, every B-day party planned when I was a kid got canceled, my grandma would call me & sing with a music box that played the Happy Birthday tune, I did however record it a few years ago, that's so I can play it when she's gone, or can't do it anymore, she's 102 & still as healthy as can be, she takes 1 baby aspirin a day & that's it, her mind is slowly starting to go, but hey, at 102 I'd say it's normal for your mind to slip away, they just put her in an assisted living place over the summer, if I was in better shape I'd take care of her

I finally decided on a permanent name, "Evill" (with 2 L's), that Sedan Deville did come in handy for one thing (2 if I count the engine), I do wanna make my own style emblem using a different font, then cast them in brass along with a few other parts, the green patina should look purty cool on black
I just hope nobody already named their VW Evil, but, that's why I used 2 L's

I so need to get that Bug cut up so I can get the Eldorado out of the garage & put it where that Bug is, it would make cleaning up so much easier, then I can get back to work on the Bitch N Bug before I lose it to rust

These larger skulls I wanna try to make tail lights out of are just barely big enough for the lights I'd like to use, I have an idea to make it work, cut them in half or some kind of opening, then screw them back together or make a cover, I could buy different light sockets or use LED lights, I just don't know what my almost non existent budget will allow, that's why I'd like to use the same lights I have on it now, I really don't know where to start, so if anyone has any low budget ideas, please feel free to let me know, it will be a while as I need to hollow them out anyway, the main reason I'd like to use my existing lights is they are easy to replace, their cheap, at one time I had a bunch of them given to me back when I was building my Buggy

Today I'm waiting on a friend to drop off his 67 Bug, I have no idea what all it needs, but he had a 73 auto stick he wanted me to get running & put brakes on, he traded that for a 67, in return he's gonna pay me by give my wife a tattoo she's been wanting for years, he works at another VW friends tattoo shop, not sure if he's a business partner, or if he just works there, I might even get my VW tattoo depending on how much work I hafta do on it, like I said I haven't seen it & he didn't say what all it needs, he just wants to be able to drive it

So it's been a year & a month since I started clearing out my garage, everything unrelated to VW's is going, I've hauled 8 trailer loads averaging about 400 to 500 lbs each & you can't even tell I did anything, mostly because everything is spread out rather than stacked up

Here's a picture of the big skull & a small one next to a 12 oz can for size reference, I'm still unsure about the back of the car, I just don't like the Baja look from the bumper/cage I put on, but I want protection, I guess I should just get over it, after all, shit happens, life goes on

Here it is just resting on the back of the car

Well I typed much more than I expected to, but then again I don't sit here on the computer as much I did in the past, then again with the weather changing I may be on the computer much more, plus, it's cold out, no sun, I'll stay inside until this guy calls & says he's on his way with his Bug, save my energy too

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old January 13th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #349
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I mentioned a day or 2 ago that I was gonna try to start my VolksRod, well that day was today, well it was yesterday now, it was 5:30 am, the local weather said it was 7 degrees, my thermometer read 10 degrees, but it's under our carport about 4 inches away from the kitchen window, it may have been a couple degrees warmer there, the wind chill was right around 0 degrees
Anyways, the last time I drove it was a week ago, maybe up to 10 days ago from this past Tuesday, the rear end of the car, engine & all were sticking out from under the carport because I have someone's 67 Bug is in the way (it's getting moved as soon as I feel better), it snowed a few mornings ago, I used a broom to knock the snow off the back, but it still had icicles hanging from different parts of the engine & the rear of the car, don't know if you can see them in the video, it took me all day to get it to upload to YouTube otherwise I'd a added it this morning
Just so ya's know, I have always disabled the choke on all my carburetor-ed cars after reading "How to Keep Your VW Alive" book, a few pumps of the pedal, then I crank it over, it sounded like the battery wasn't gonna cut it, but I just kept on going, eventually it fired up, here's proof, y'all hafta trust me I didn't start the car for at least 8 possibly 9 days (the tags expired on the 7th at midnight) or I'd a taken it for a ride up & down the street, but I learned many years ago that me of all people would get caught, it happened in 2004 when I just drove one of my S10 Blazers to put gas in it, the cop made me park it & waited until a tow truck picked it up, I didn't get a ticket, but it did cost me $25 for the pick up, it was a half mile to the house, so he didn't charge me the per mile amount, I learned my lesson & won't ever do that again, or even put un-expired tags from another car on it, I'd get caught as soon as I pulled off my street

OK, here's the video, it's only 2 minutes 12 seconds, you may hafta turn up the volume to hear me talking, I was trying to be quiet so as not to disturb my next door neighbors but then again, my car isn't all that quiet either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5CN...ature=youtu.be

How's that for a VolksRod on a frigid winter's morning, one day last winter when it was below 0 my wife's car wouldn't even turn over, but mine fired right up
I love my VW Bug aka The Evill VolksRod

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old January 13th, 2016, 11:26 PM   #350
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

That's as far as my engines ever get then never start again...
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote