Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old January 14th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #351
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: I aquired another VW

Your not holding your face the right way, practice in front of the mirror, then go out & try starting yours up while looking into the mirror, once it starts, remember that look & never forget it

It also helps to talk to your car like your talking to a Beautiful woman

Oh yeah, if your running points, get rid of them & buy a Petronix ignition, best $45 I ever spent, that was back in the summer of 1986

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 03:12 PM   #352
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Re hard starting cars, & bikes. At a vintage days bike show a few years back, ( ok, over ten years back when I still had my BSA) I'd just kick started my '70 BSA Lightning to life (two kicks, it had been sitting all day). At the sound of an old British twin idling a small crowd gathered. My buddy, who always bragged that his Bonneville was a one kick bike, gave me a smug look, swung the lever out, tickled the carbs and gave her a kick. Nothing, not a pop. Two more kicks and he was mumbling to himself as eight or ten people looked on. I got off my BSA and asked if everyone would "turn around and look away for a minute. "The old girl," I told them, referring of course to the Bonnie, "is a bit shy." My buddy gave me 'the look,' stomped on the lever, and the bike stumbled to life. Later he told me that I "was a smart ass." and she would have started anyway.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:45 PM   #353
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

That's too dang funny, Tom, my cousin with all the Hot Rods always gives me hell about my VolksRod, he just does it to joke around, hell he's mostly German, I know his mom was, not sure about his dad's side, but I give him hell when I can about whatever I can, been doing it since I can remember, like this morning I had my leather Duster on along with a matching cowboy hat, they are both brown, had them for a bit over 20 years now, whenever I wear them he always asks me where I parked my horse, this morning he saw my wife had drove me there, I was a bit to dizzy & light headed to drive, I don't ever wanna put other lives in a position like that, better safe than sorry, anyway he asked me where she was parking our horse, funny thing is, she grew up & her & her 3 sisters all had a horse, they kept them at a horse stable that was a 5 minute walk thru the woods behind my house, when she told me a few names of their horses I knew exactly which ones they were, I even rode 1 of them right after we moved into that house in 1971, small world, she was the youngest of 4 girls, when she was about 4 years old her dad wasn't aloud to leave on Saturday or Sunday mornings without taking her with him, he always went to the bar, she grew up there until she was about 11, he took her hunting, taught her to skin & gut a dear, took her to the Indy 500 every year, anyway a lot of the time they would go get 2 horses & ride them to the bar, then back home, leave the horses in the backyard, kinda wish I'd a met her 8 years earlier

Here's a good one, when we 1st met, her one sister had a horse they kept at another stable, the one behind my house closed up when the old mother passed away, she donated all the land to Hamilton County for a park, all her children were grown & went their separate ways, anyway her sisters took turns cleaning the horse stalls & fed all the horses, I started helping, it was every 4th week we had to do it, she would sometimes get the horse out & ride her, her name was Nina,the story was the man who owned the horse before they got it beat it, abused it, so it did not like MEN, I could sense it whenever I'd try to pet her, so one day she asked if I wanted to ride on it with her, she went around the fence line a few times (bare back) then she came to where I was & said very slowly get on the horse behind me, so I did, right about the time I sat my complete weight onto the horse, she bucked me about 15 feet into the air, she (my gal) wasn't even holding on, yet she didn't get bucked off, crazy

Tomorrow if I feel up to it I'm gonna try to cast 1 flaming VW emblem rather than 2 at a time, if it doesn't turn out, I'm just gonna cut a pattern out of wood & temper my sand & do it the traditional way, I may do it like that anyway

OK enough stories, except for this short joke

"Why do horses fart when they Buck?"

"They need gas to achieve Full Horse Power" !!!

Our 11 year old grand daughter told us that one the other day

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old January 15th, 2016, 09:16 PM   #354
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So early this morning I went out & cast the final pattern I had, looks as if I'm just gonna hafta make a permanent wooden pattern & cast them the traditional way
This one turned out, then I started cutting the sprues & runners off of it, all was good, then I dropped it & a piece of the flame broke off, I should have wrapped a piece of masking tape around that section as it broke off when I was filing all the edges to clean it up, I glued it back together, but sand must have gotten into the crack where it was glued, like I said, I should of taped it up, I may cut out 2 more patterns & see what happens, with these little files I bought at H/F it makes it so much easier to clean it up

Here are a few pics, I may try to J/B weld it together, file some draft on it & use it as a pattern to cast them, I'll just hafta make one for the opposite side

You can see a line where it broke off, like I said, sand must have gotten into the crack making a weak spot, OH well

And here it is after I dropped it, part of the flame broke off, sand got into the crack creating a weak spot

Until next time

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old January 15th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #355
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Good story about the horses. Out here 'horsing around' with a young honey had a completely different meaning. I enjoying seeing and reading about what you're up to. I was going to make some odd comment about the VW casting going down in flames, but I'll hold off... X 2.
Old January 16th, 2016, 12:56 PM   #356
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Hehehe at least it didn't go up in flames, about a month ago I was melting down a bunch of aluminum scrap into ingots, well some how a piece of magnesium got mixed into it, I happened to see in my perifial vision this white as can be glow from where my furnace was at, I grabbed my fire extinguisher only to find out it's dead, I happened to have a bucket of sand near by, I dumped it into the crucible, it put most of the fire out, but there was still fire, I grabbed my crucible lifting tool, lifted the crucible out hoping it doesn't burn thru, I carry it out the door & dump in into the wet ground waiting for a steam explosion, I was trying my best to get away as fast I possibly could, hears a bunch of sizzling sounds, when I'm about 30 feet away, I turn to look & see theres no flames, so I wait a while before going near it, I look up into the sky & thank God several times, it was one crazy day at the Bastard Metals Foundry
Needless to say I have since went thru all my scrap to make damn sure I don't ever get any magnesium mixed in with aluminum

So when I went to cast that piece, I went to pour it & metal starts leaking out the side of my crucible, I did however have enough to finish pouring it, the mag fire burnt a hole in the side of my crucible

I think I'm gonna use that piece the way it is, just file the edge where it broke & leave a space between it & the main emblem, should look purty cool, I'll just break them all in the same place

I wonder if I could refine them a bit so they come out better, then sell them if there is any interest, think VW would mind, I may hafta check into it & see

OH yeah, JOKE away

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old January 17th, 2016, 05:20 PM   #357
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
Your not holding your face the right way, practice in front of the mirror, then go out & try starting yours up while looking into the mirror, once it starts, remember that look & never forget it

It also helps to talk to your car like your talking to a Beautiful woman

Oh yeah, if your running points, get rid of them & buy a Petronix ignition, best $45 I ever spent, that was back in the summer of 1986

Ron
I just swear at them a lot. (The cars, not my wife!)
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 08:06 AM   #358
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
I just swear at them a lot. (The cars, not my wife!)
Jeff
Ya know, I did that years ago (I'll explain that later, but first I have a story), I still do swear at my VolksRod on occasion depending on the situation, it seems to happen almost every 4 weeks (sometimes it happens twice in that same week), I get in, turn the key & nothing, now this really only happens when I'm all cleaned up & have nice clothes on & I'm going to a doctor's appointment, but it mainly happens when I hafta go to the Vampire's Office (every 4 weeks), depending on what my Hemoglobin level is, I hafta get an Aranesp injection (that's usually 3 days after I visit the Vampires), I hafta get out, walk around the back of the car, reach up under the rear passengers side & wiggle the solenoid wire, get back in, turn the key & it fires right up, then I swear at it for a few seconds, go inside the house, wash my hands & go on my way
Now I have cleaned that connection many many times, I have even put that dielectric grease on it every time I clean it, I'm almost out of it (I'm thinking about trying something else, like bleach), yet it still does it, but as I said it only happens when I'm cleaned up & going somewhere & I don't wanna have dirty hands (I honestly think I'm cursed & somebody has one of those voodoo dolls of me, that would explain all the pain I've been suffering from since I was 17, possible an old girlfriend before I met my wife) I could tell you some stories that could prove my curse, but, I'll save that for later

Back to the swearing thing, this was right after I met my wife, she'd be sitting talking to me whenever I worked on my cars, or no matter what I was doing, i'd have a wrench slip off & bust a knuckle, or be swinging a hammer & smash my thumb, I start swearing, throw the wrench/hammer, or whatever it was in my hand, she'd say "oh my, your so tough, you can throw a wrench/hammer" that would really piss me off, I'd say "you better watch your mouth or next time I'll throw it at you" next thing out of her mouth would be "ooowwwoowww, I'm so scared, I'm shaking in my shoes, & look, I don't have any on" back then, she very seldom wore shoes, I mean bare foot everywhere we went, she always had a pair of sandals with her, or in my car, even in the winter she'd be barefoot, the sandals were there for stores that had the signs up that said "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" I'll just say she really knew how to get under my skin, but, she was also the only gal that could calm me down just by touching my hand, I still tell her she has "magic hands" here's a couple examples, when I'd get home from work my hands were always sore from wrestling & wrenching on big parts in the machine shop, then cranking the machines handles the rest of the time, she'd touch them, rub them & I hafta say, to this day I can feel every bit of pain just be lifted from my hands, over the years it was my back, my legs, whatever hurt, if she touched it, it was like the pain was magically pulled away

OK I got off track again, back to swearing at my cars, this happened a lot, we'd jump into "The Great White" a 1974 Olds Cutlass Salon, I'd turn the key, nothing, I'd get out & check the battery cable to make sure they weren't loose, if they were tight & it still did nothing I'd continue to check everything else with no luck, so after getting frustrated I'd just get back into the car & swear at it, she'd tell me, "it's the way your talking to her, talk nice to it like it's me" she'd say "watch" then she'd pat the car on the dash & say with a nice sweet voice "come on baby, start for me" then she'd reach over from the passengers seat & turn the key & the dadgum car would fire right up, I'd just shake my head, put it in gear n go, this worked for 3 other cars that I can remember, the main car I can remember was the "The Great White" same car back before we had children, we'd go to the race track every Friday night to race it just for fun, it had a 455 cid & a 400 TH trans, it came from the factory like that, I bought it from a friend for $100, it needed an engine, he blew the original engine, my grandpa gave me a 1970 Olds Delta 88 that had a 455, the tie rod end broke on it, so I pulled the engine out & dropped it into the Cutlass, I even put the original 4 barrel quadrajet carb & intake on it in place of the 2 barrel carb, I also had the trans rebuilt for $125, the guy said for $25 more he'd put a shift kit in it, said it wouldn't give you whiplash but enough to let you feel it if you shifted it manually, told me it would bark the tires from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd, for another $25 he'd throw in a mild stall converter, I said hell yeah, the engine had 245,000 miles on it, after driving it for a few weeks we decided we were gonna race it, the 1st time I raced it I ran around a 12.18 second 1/4 mile, a few weeks later I let Trina run it down the track, she ran around an 11.93, only thing she did differently than me was, she patted it on the dash & said "you go for me baby" left it in drive & beat my time, she told me if I talked to her nicely she might run better for me, just before I pulled the engine & trans from that car (it was rusting out bad) the engine had around 320,000 miles on it & I checked the compression, it had 120 lbs in all 8 cylinders + or - 3 lbs
Since that night at the track, I do my best to talk to all my cars as nicely as I possibly can, granted I sometimes slip up, but it depends on the situation, like the dadgum solenoid wire on my VolksRod

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old June 5th, 2016, 10:22 AM   #359
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So a few months ago (9 months to be exact) I mentioned I was replacing the reverse gear in a trans-axle, well I did replace it back then, but got held up because I couldn't find the empty tea jug I put the nuts & bolt & clutch cable bracket in that hold the side cover on, the tea jugs are purty big for Lipton's powder tea mix, they have a lid, that's why I use them, anyways I found it last Monday afternoon when I was looking for something else, imagine that, they were sitting on the tailstock end of my big lathe, in plane view, I've used the lathe several times, they just happen to be on the other side of the tailstock

It's been quite challenging driving without having to back up, I doubt I'll miss that

So I stopped everything & bolted the side cover on & got the trans-axle ready to install, I may head out in the next hour or so & start tearing into it, I don't need a car until Friday afternoon when I go see the ear doc, yeah that's an entirely different story, I'll spare ya's some reading, good thing is I can now hear out my right ear again
I just hope I didn't forget anything, there weren't any extra parts in the jug so I think I'm good
I have all the tools in a bucket so I won't hafta make several trips back & forth, that's always a time saver

I forgot to mention about 3 months ago I had some front springs break on my beam, my license plate was dragging 98% of the time when driving & was getting real annoying, so I swapped beams, took the one with the adjusters & broken springs off & replaced it with a stock beam, it raised it up 4 inches, but it rides so much better, think I'll leave it just how it is, the only draw back is it took me dang near 3 weeks to do it, I've lost so much muscle I had to get my brother to come down & loosen most of the bolts for me, but after he loosened everything I was able to do the rest
I believe the springs broke from where I had my son re-weld the one side of the adjuster, I believe he got it way to hot & that could have weakened the spring leaves

I'm hoping I don't need much help with the trans-axle, most likely just setting it up in there, I have an old mower with the engine removed, it's just the right height to roll under the car, put a couple pieces of wood on & roll it on out, I may give it a good cleaning

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; June 5th, 2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old June 17th, 2016, 04:05 AM   #360
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well I got the trans-axle in & it has reverse, I dropped off 600 lbs of iron scrap last week, dang how prices went down over the years I think 2 more loads about that size & a trailer full of aluminum cans & I might have enough to donate to this here web site

Then again just yesterday it popped out of second gear, a few miles further & it popped out of 4th gear as well, I think I just need to adjust the shifter a bit, at least that's what I hope, I'll take care of that first thing this morning before I hafta take my 4 week trip to the Vampire's Office & see how it shifts after that

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old June 30th, 2016, 08:59 AM   #361
hydrophobia
Forum Member

I have nothing to add except I read the whole thread over the last couple days and have to tell you...

DAMN SON!

Keep on keepin on! This has been an inspirational journey for sure!

Once things settle down in our lives, it's time to find our own Volksie to rod. You've proven it can be done in the most adverse of circumstances, so I have no excuse!

Thanks for the mental kick in the ass man. I needed it.

jk
hydrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 11:53 PM   #362
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophobia View Post
I have nothing to add except I read the whole thread over the last couple days and have to tell you...

DAMN SON!

Keep on keepin on! This has been an inspirational journey for sure!

Once things settle down in our lives, it's time to find our own Volksie to rod. You've proven it can be done in the most adverse of circumstances, so I have no excuse!

Thanks for the mental kick in the ass man. I needed it.

jk
Hey dude, your welcome for the mental kick in the ass , & I'll keep on keeping on until the day comes when I can't walk myself out back, I'm glad what I do inspires you, I've been told that plenty of times by many people, Thank You , I try not to let anything stop me from doing anything, altho it sure has been slowing me down a bunch lately, but then again I'm lucky I'm able to do what I'm able to do, I've cheated death quite a few times in my 50 years, life does happen, nothing you can do to stop that, I have days where I almost literally hafta grab the hair on the back of my neck & lift until I'm on my tip toes & walk myself outside to the workshop/garage to do something (kinds like my dad did to me when I was little making me go to bed when I didn't wanna go), I'm the kinda guy that makes what I can't afford to buy, if'n I can't make it, or can't find what's needed to make it, I don't need it, unless I get lucky enough to get my hands on whatever it is I need, or my wife gets lucky enough to win on a scratch off lottery ticket & she gives me enough to buy whatever it is I need

OK, now back to my transmission problem, I tried adjusting the shifter, checked the coupling between the shift rod & transmission shift shaft, everything was good, so it must be inside the transmission So a few days ago I decided to take it out, remove the reverse gear & put in the other one that doesn't have reverse, let the fun begin
So I drop the engine, again (I should just use wing nuts to make it faster seeing how I seem to be pulling the engine out way to much lately) I get the trans-axle out & on the strand, go get the box of tools I used when I put the reverse gear in the first time, that's when I saw the problem, when putting the gear box section & pinion gear back into the case there is a large spacer & nut about 3-1/4" diameter the hold it into the case, well it seems I left that spacer out, I tightened the nut the same number of turns & stopped where I had made a mark on it when disassembling it, that left about 0.100" of slop, it worked fine for a few hundred miles, then the nut started backing off & adding to the slop, the pinion & gears of that where on that shaft moved back-n-forth close to 1/4", guess that's just enough to make it slip out of gear
It ruined the nut, but lucky for me I have a box with all the innards, so I took the nut, screwed it onto the pinion & gear shaft with the spacer I forgot, measured the distance between the the two, then measured th thickness of the case where the piece goes (with the nut on as far as it would go, counted the number of turns to take it off, put it all together, put the spacer on, then the nut, tightened it as tight as I could get it, it was 1 turn shy of what it was before installing, slapped the rest of it together, put the engine back in, fired it up & took it for a spin, so far so good
I guess I'll hafta drive it about 100 miles as that's around what I put on it before it started popping out of 2nd gear, only time will tell

Now that I think back, I must a had a bad case of HUBS (Head Up the Butt Syndrom) that entire week, besides forgetting that spacer I also forgot the dadgum throw out bearing
Looks like I'm gonna hafta start taking notes when disassembling things, then reading those notes when it comes time to assembling those things, my mind is going, or maybe it's almost completely gone by now I most likely will end up misplacing the paper with the notes on it

I may hafta tear the rest of the "parts" transmission stuff apart so I can learn to rebuild one, maybe some day I may wanna build one with all heavy duty gears for a high HP engine or build a freeway flyer, if I ever get a high HP engine, but it still would be nice to know how to tear one apart & put it back together again correctly have it works properly

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 2nd, 2016, 05:03 AM   #363
nshaddox
Forum Member

Totally makes sense that you'd have issues with 1,2,reverse without the pinion shaft shim in place. I rebuild transmissions. Not tough if you have the right tools. Hopefully you didn't cause much damage to the ring and pinion, 1-2 shift fork and slider, reverse paddle, reverse gear. Might want to drain oil and refill and look for extra bits in the old oil.
nshaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:34 AM   #364
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

It's been a while (about 3 years) since I've done anything except routine maintenance to the engine to my Volksrod, except jump in & drive the hell out of it, I do a lot of that, but I did replace a few much needed parts, mainly lower ball joints from having the beam as low as it possibly would go, much lower than the "lowered" ball joints were supposed to be (not good on a daily driver), so when I put the "nonadjustable" beam back on the front (it's still dropped 4-1/2") mainly because I got tired of swerving around potholes & "expansion speed bumps" as I call them in the pavement , I decided to buy new ball joints, I didn't get around to putting them on until a few weeks ago when 1 of them decided to break on me, luckily I was still on my street about 300 feet from my house, I walked home & took another front trailing arm that had a decent stiff ball joint in it & replaced it until I could replace both of them, so I remove the old ball joints by cutting as much of the part the ball rests in & knocking the ball & stud part out, then use my milling machine to cut the rest of the old joints out, I use my big vise to press them back in, it rides & steers so much better now

Then yesterday I decided to put my oil temp sending unit in the oil sump, it was due for an oil change, so I figured it was the best time to drill into the case, most of the chips washed out with the oil, I then rinsed the bottom of the case out with solvent by pouring it into the hole I drilled, then I put grease on the tap to help keep the chips from falling into the case, then rinsed it out again, I'll change the oil after a few hundred miles or sooner, this Monday I'll drill the case for a full flow oil filter setup to complete it
The bad part was finding a good place to drill the hole for the sending unit, the outside of the case doesn't have a good flat place to make a good seal, so I made a special tool to cut the surface flat so it wouldn't leak, so as usual I took a few pics of the tool & the surface I had to cut, I didn't wanna put the tool in a drill as it would have most likely messed up the hole where the threads were, but magnesium is soft enough I was able to just twist the tool with my hand to cut the step in the case so it would be flat enough to seal, I haven't run it long enough yet to see if the gauge works better than it did with the sending unit was in the adapter they sell with it that goes where the oil pressure sending unit goes because it didn't give a proper reading

Here's the tool I made, it was a 3/4" boring bar, I turned the end down to just under 1/2" which it the tap drill size for a 14 mm tap, I ground the cutter on my tool grinder so it was exactly 90 degrees, it took a couple setups to get the proper clearance on the cutter

Here's the surface just before it cleaned up all the way, it has about an 1/8" step at that section of the case, I didn't wanna drill it much higher because I wanted to make sure it was completely submerged under the oil

After it was finished

Now I need to replace the right rear body mounts, the one in the fender well is starting to bend & break, that will be next on my list of many things that need attention

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; January 14th, 2017 at 12:19 AM. Reason: fix'n pic's
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #365
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

I have to say that I love your attitude when something breaks. You walk home, find the part you need and then head back down the street to swap in a major suspension piece.

You do really cool work. The sensor looks like a factory installation, but probably better.

This is one of the big reasons this site is so great.
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:54 AM   #366
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Why thank ya It's also nice to have a machine shop to make whatever tools needed to get something done right

30 years ago I had a few friends that would give me shit about driving around with extra parts in my trunk, but back then I had no money but lots of "extra" parts, you just never know when your gonna need something
Lucky for me I was less than 300 feet from home, that made it that much easier to bring all my tools to fix it, but, if I would have been 10 miles from home & could have found a ride home, I'd had fixed it on the side of the road just as long as I would have been in a safe place to work on it at, I couldn't move it when it broke, well I could have if I'd a had a small floor jack

If I'd have looked on the opposite side of the case there was a nice flat surface I could have put it, I'd have just needed to make the wire long enough

I'm guessing it's working, the needle goes up when I turn the ignition switch on after it's been running for a while, I just don't know what the oil temp is supposed to be when hot, after 15 miles of driving it only goes up to about 185 - 190 degrees & that was on a 90 degree day

So next on my list is to go back & re-weld some of the welds the PO did, the oval window clip he put in is starting to make the bondo chip off & no you can see holes thru where the welds have started, there is also a weld that has a nice long crack in it in the front wheel well where the weld has started to crack, I found it the hard way when out driving in a torrential downpour, I believe we got an inch of rain an hour that day, it rained for 3 hours

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old January 4th, 2017, 09:25 AM   #367
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So yesterday I started working on my Volksrod, I hafta pull the engine, pull the transmission, tear apart the transmission so I can remove the "good" reverse gear & put it in the transmission I have in the garage

I started taking the transmission in the garage apart yesterday, I got the nose cone off & the axle flange off as well as the side cover bolts, I had to wrap things up for the day to make a few important phone calls, I now wish I'd have stayed outside & took the other side axle flange off, removed the side cover & pulled the differential out & at least put my car up on stands when the temp was in the mid 50's, it was raining but I wouldn't have gotten wet

I wake up this morning at 4 am & it was 36 degrees, the warmest it's gonna be all day, right now it's 25 degrees & supposed to keep dropping, the wind is also blowing to make thing that much better those important calls could have waited until this morning
I had a bunch of bullshit I had to go thru in order to get this done, you can keep reading along, or just skip ahead 4 paragraphs, it's up to you

Yesterday before I could do anything I had to move my Volksrod forward a few feet so my wife's car would fit completely under the carport & the back half of my car would be covered, last week it rained one evening, the next morning I went out to start her car so it would be nice & warm for her because the temp dropped over night to 28 degrees, the dang door was frozen shut, it has those nice plastic door handles on it & rather than pull on it any harder than necessary I just went in & got a screwdriver & pried it open, gee ain't I nice

So back to my car, back when I parked it where it's at the shifter was stuck in 1st gear from my hydroplaning incident, (that was on December 6th) I tried to shift it into neutral that day & it wouldn't move, so if I needed to move it backwards I could just push the clutch in

I had not touched it, I even misplaced the keys for a few days, I found them the day before yesterday in our safe, well that must have been where the magic happened, when I started it yesterday to pull in about 10 feet forward I tried to put it into neutral & it went, it won't go into 2nd 3rd or 4th, I didn't even try reverse in fear it would get stuck & I'd never get that gear out of the transmission

So after I eat some lunch, bundle up with a few layers of work clothes, put on a few hoodies, then my big leather coat, I'm gonna head out & get to pulling things apart, the plan it to have it back together before the end of January

I'm also gonna fix a few things I should have done a few years ago, first of all when I got this thing it had a set of 34mm dual single barrel carbs on it, it runs rich, I called the only place I could find them at, that's Aircooled.net, they need to know my elevation, what size main & idle jets are in it as well as fuel pressure, I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on hand, but I'm sure I can figure it out, the carbs probably need to be cleaned so getting the jet sizes isn't gonna be a problem, I'm just tired of bad gas mileage

Then comes all the welds that have started showing holes, a bunch around the oval window the PO welded in, I'm also gonna fill in all the fender bolt holes, most of them that had bondo in them have long since cracked & then fell out, then there are the ones I tried to weld a few nuts in when I tried rear fenders but decided fenders aren't for me

It's the beginning of a Brand New Year, I doubt I'll ever get the top chopped, but I think I'm gonna see if I can do suicide doors now lets just see if I can do more than talk about it

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old January 10th, 2017, 11:42 PM   #368
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well, now that's it's tomorrow I can tell ya's what I did yesterday, I did just about get everything unhooked so all I need to do is pull the cage off the back, then unbolt the 4 case to transmission bolts & the engine is out

The temps were in low 50's, at times there was a bit of pouring down rain, only time I got wet was when I had to walk to the garage for tools, sure beats the normal temps

I do have a nice work light, sure lights things up when your laying under a car, it also comes in handy to hang over head when working on something, it's super bright, it's a 6 foot long LED light that goes in refrigerator doors that are at gas stations & stores, it kind a sucks if you accidentally look at it, you see spots for a little bit

Here it is under the back of my Volksrod before I started working on it

Here is was the night before out in my garage when I was taking apart the other transmission, it was rather warm with my little kerosene heater & my tiny electric heater, I stood between them, it was in low 20's outside, it was 35 degrees where I was standing

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; January 14th, 2017 at 12:09 AM. Reason: fix'n pic's
Old January 11th, 2017, 04:38 AM   #369
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Cool Light Sabre, Ron... I'm a tool whore and Flashlights are one of my favorite things lately... Hard part is, most of the ones I buy lately, grow legs... (They're magnetic and get left in vehicles I work on mostly)... At least that big ol' thing would be hard to forget...
Old January 12th, 2017, 11:17 PM   #370
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

The bad part about that light is I'm always afraid of snagging the cord with my foot, then pulling it & breaking it, I doubt I'll ever get my hands on another one (unless I can sneak one out of a store under my coat )

I have a bunch of those little flash lights you can get free at Harbor Freight with the purchase of something, I have them all over the house, I also keep one in my pocket most of the time, it's getting tougher & tougher to see unless I have lots of light

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old January 13th, 2017, 04:56 AM   #371
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Oh Lord, Ron... I spend almost as much money on Flashlights every year as I do other tolls nowadays... They always come up missing and I'm usually the culprit... I work in Dark Vans all day and need good lighting, and Cords are always in the way, so I buy a ton of Magnetic flashlights that stick to/hang nearly anywhere... There is good news though... a lot of the machines I work on are going to aluminum frames so Magnets won't be an excuse much longer... LOL... Unless someone invents that all-too-needed Aluminum Magnet... and maybe a Brass magnet... and a Plastic Magnet... Copper magnet...

Last edited by SCOTTRODS; January 14th, 2017 at 04:15 PM.
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #372
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Flashlights? Well they seem to run off and hide until I buy a replacement. Then, they slowly return. From here at my laptop on the kitchen table, I can count ten (10) They are of all sizes and one works via a squeeze handle. Wait a minute, I swear that there were only six yesterday....
Old January 13th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #373
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

All of your pics are missing Ron.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 09:51 PM   #374
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
All of your pics are missing Ron.
Jeff
Fuuuuuuuuuck

Ya seen the movie Christmas Story when Ralph is helping his dad change the tire & accidentally threw/dropped all the lug nuts & says fuuuuuuuuuck, well that's how that's supposed to sound, I love that movie, watch it every year Christmas eve & Christmas day, kind a like a tradition from when they first started showing the marathon of it, my dad loved it prolly as much if not more than I did, I can still remember watching it for the very first time with him, we laughed so much & hard my stomach, ribs & back hurt for a couple a days, & that was when I was young too

I think I know what happened, I was fiddlin with my phone, I wanted to remove a bunch of apps to make room, I have dang near a gazillion GB's, but it was almost full, I seen a Photobucket app that I thought I didn't need, well I guess I thunk'd wrong, oops, Fuuuuuuuuuck

Giss I'sa ginna hefta go'n bik'n see if'n I cin fix't didgummit, shhheeeeeiit

Gonna take me a while

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; January 13th, 2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old January 26th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #375
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I have a bunch of those little flash lights you get for free with a purchase at Harbor Freight, I must have at least 10 of them, they always get misplaced, then when I get another one I find 2 that I lost, my wife gives me hell about them because I keep one in every room as well as in my robe pocket for the days when I don't get dressed or do anything, they're getting more & more, but as I get older I need lots of light to see or find anything, my wife will say "Look at this" & I say "Let me get my light", then she gives me hell about me needing a light, then at night when I go into our bedroom to get something when she's sleeping, I whip out my lil flash light rather than turning on the bedroom light & she yells "You woke me up with that damn light" I'm afraid to tell her I farted real loud & that's what woke her up

OK, now to my car, I still haven't pulled the engine or transmission out yet, but the engine is ready to unbolt

The past few days I've been gathering up all the stuff I've been keeping for this n that, I know I may never get around to using it, so I may as well try to sell it
I also pulled the original transmission apart that was in my car, it started popping out of reverse shortly after I started driving it, I don't know what year they changed the reverse gears, but I just know the ones I had were from a 74, I believe the one I had taken apart many years ago was a 74 as well, that's where I got the good reverse gear I changed last summer, only reason I know that is the transmission I put in my car was from my rail buggy & it was out of a 74 Bug, the original transmission in my Bug is a 69
So I pulled it apart thinking I was gonna hafta remove the good reverse gear out of my car & put it in the original one that was in my car, when I pulled the gear section off I set everything down, then yesterday I took the reverse gear out & got to looking at it, it seems it's reversible, all I hafta do is turn it around & put it back together, I'm headed out there in a little bit to put it back together, below is a pic of the newer style reverse gear from the 74 & the reverse gear from the 69, you can see the side that's worn down, you can see the newer one from my buggy is really worn out from hitting reverse when flying thru the wooded hills & mud, it's tough to hit 2nd when your bouncing around like that

Here's the newer gear

Here's the older gear

Here they are together

Just a lil warning, I'm gonna go on a bit of a RANT, it could be a bit lengthy

I wanna know why & the hell they changed them, looks to me like it would have taken much longer to machine that dadgum gear on the newer models, one extra operation don't ya think, but who am I but a machinist that spent many years dealing with engineers who design stuff, but have never in their life so much as drilled a hole in a piece of wood or tapped a hole, I could go on for a few paragraphs about this, but I'll spare ya's, I bet some engineer who had years of schooling thought "Hey, I have a Brilliant idea", it will takes an extra setup which adds more time, we will also hafta make a different gear holder to engage the gear, which also will add more machine time to make a relatively simple car more complex, expensive & when it does go bad they will hafta buy another gear rather than easily just flip it around", I suppose it was so 40 something years later that engineer could get a laugh about someone like me bitching about it, I mean I know the car had a lot of miles on it when I got it, it started popping out of reverse when I was backing up a not to steep incline since I've had it

Ya know, it reminds me of my plan that if I ever won the lottery, you know enough to where I was so stinking rich I wouldn't hafta work, I always said I'd get a job at an alarm clock factory, that way every 100th clock I would tamper with it in such a way that the alarm would go off 20 minutes late just to fuck with somebody & piss them off their first time using it

The only reason I thought of doing that is I always seemed to buy something new & it was defective in some goofy way or another, years ago I was rebuilding the front suspension on my 74 Cutlass (AKA The Great White) I'd buy the inner tie rod ends, get home & tear the old ones off only to find the new ones didn't fit, hold them up next to each other & they were totally wrong, get a ride to the parts store, they checked the part # on the box, it was the right box, seems someone who worked at the factory who won the lottery had the same idea as I did 20 years before me, he would put every 100th part in the wrong box & I was the poor guy that always seemed to end up with that 100th box, after that I always took the old parts with me so I could compare them to the new one before I got home, it happened to me on that car with at least 4 other parts, it's happened with other things as well like microwaves, a dishwasher & that's just a few of the things I can think of, I could write a book about it, just flippin CRAZY I tell ya, if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all I tell ya

OK I'm finished

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS