Newest Member: dedo_br

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old January 26th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #376
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Default Re: I aquired another VW

That's it? That's all? I thought you were going to do a looong rant.
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 12:37 PM   #377
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

I made a bowl of popcorn for that...?

I was expecting a real page Turner. LOL
Old January 27th, 2017, 07:41 AM   #378
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
That's it? That's all? I thought you were going to do a looong rant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Dean View Post
I made a bowl of popcorn for that...?

I was expecting a real page Turner. LOL
Well daggonnit

I'm so sorry to disappoint ya's, but I was in a hurry to get outside to get my transmission bock together, hell I didn't get out there until almost 2:30, I gave up & came in due to the weather at around 5:00, the weathers been abnormal for this time of year, it was in the mid 60's most of last week, Wednesday it was in the mid 50's, then yesterday it was barely above freezing at 34 degrees, today at the moment it's 28 degrees out with a blanket of sn*w covering the grass, you can make out a few pieces of grass poking it's head thru in a few spots
When the temps change like this I ache purty dang bad, so, I came back in & took a much needed nap yesterday, I wish I didn't hafta go anywhere, it really sucks that I do hafta go get some sealer to close up the transmissions case & get my wife a pack of smokes, hey there's some good news about that, she says she's gonna give them up on June 1st, I'm gonna hold her to her word, she WON't be smoking in the house after that day & I won't ever buy them for her again as well as let her smoke in my car either

Now I'll try to finish my lil rant, I suppose it's more of a pissing & moaning than a rant as it's me just remembering how "some" engineers/machine designers who get jobs designing machines and/or complex fabrications & have no experience or clue as how to drilling a hole in so much as a piece of wood, let alone drilling & tapping a hole in something tough like a piece of steel or in a piece of stainless steel, it's flippin crazy what they can expect a machinist or machine operator to do after spending I don't know how many years in school (I'm just guessing about what they may have learned, nothing can replace "hands on learning"
I did enroll in a technical college for CAD/CAM after my 1st machine shop job, they tried to teach me how to add & subtract whole numbers, I quit cause they told me it was at a college level, I told them I learned multiplication in the 3rd grade, I told them I was way past Technical College level math since I had a High School Diploma, the guy told me I could pay $110 to test out of them math classes, but WTF I would have had to pay for 6 to 8 math classes to get to trig & I learned that on my own in about 2 weeks at my 2nd machine shop job, but Hey, he informed me it was at a college level & more advanced than anything I learned in school, thought HOT DANG I must be Dadgum a Genius since I learned multiplication in the 3rd grade, again he told me it was at a college level & much more advanced than anything I could have learned in any schooling I had been taught, so I sat thru 2 days of class only to find out it was the same basic math I learned in elementary school

My 2nd job in a machine shop, I credit my boss for teaching me almost everything I know about machining as well as trig, he also told me to get one of those scientific calculators, I could do multiplication & division of 4 place decimals in my head until I got that dadgum calculator, but it did make trig much faster, it really sucks now that I need a calculator to do simple math

Then I started noticing the mistakes these engineers were making on their simple machine prints, crazy right, that was just the tip of the ice burg, this one big job we started had hundreds of parts, the engineer who designed these machines had all kinds of mistakes, there were so many problems it wasn't funny, after a couple months it came time to assemble these parts for the machines, that's when we found out the engineers many flaws, he had a terrible case of H.U.B.S. I'm pretty sure it was his first "BIG" job to prove himself to the company we worked for several months machining all these parts, a bunch of the mating parts didn't fit together, the bolt spreads didn't match to the corresponding parts, some were only off by a 1/4" some a 1/2" we worked so much OT to get these first 4 machines together by the deadline, it turned out good

I left that place 4 months shy of working there for 10 years because they were moving to a brand new building that was like a 100 thousand square feet, it was a 35 mile drive from my house to the new shop, I took off work early one evening to drive out & check out the new building, I got out there about my normal quitting time, it took me a lil over 90 minutes to get home due to traffic, needless to say I wasn't gonna drive that 6 days a week

So I took a job in a small shop running BIG machines, the place was a little under 7 miles from my house, counting me only 6 guys worked at the place, 2 brothers inherited the shop from their dad when he got to old to work, he started the place in 1971 & turned it into a good company with a good name, the brothers went to the same vocational school I went to & had the same 2 teachers I had, one was a year older than me, the other was 3 years older than me
That's when the engineering issues got purty bad, it got real interesting at times, I ran a "BIG" machine called a Devlieg Jig Mill
Here's a pic of a Horizontal Boring Mill (aka as a HBM) like I ran the last 5 years I worked they were all manual machines which I liked
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/46...9a031.jpg_1024
Bigger machines mean big expensive parts, it was crazy how many stupid mistakes these engineers make, most of the trouble was just having a few holes in the wrong place, or a pad welded on a few inches out of place, some of the little stuff was easy to fix, it that was a great place to work, I know when I had to quit when I got sick he hated to see me leave, told me I made the least percentage of mistakes and or scrap

Back to the engineers that had H.U.B.S. I had a big giant part on my machine that weighed about 3 tons, these machines had sub-tables that turned 90 degrees so you could work on 3 or 4 sides depending on how you had to set it up, so this part had a few pads that got machined, the print said to drill & tap a 5/8"-11 hole thru from the opposite side, me being the smart-ass that I am decided to question my boss about it, I said "do you think maybe they want a left handed thread since it says drill & tap from the back side?" I knew better, my boss did too, my boss just wanted to point out the engineers mistake, we joked about it all the time, why not drill & tap it from the side you milled flat rather than turn it to do another setup, we got a laugh about it specially when the engineer would stop in with other parts, like I said H.U.B.S.

I hope none of you engineers on here don't take it personal, I've seen what a lot of ya's can do with a VW or any car for that matter, ya'll know what your doing

I didn't ranting near as much as I thought, but I hope I did make my point about some of these engineers that have no idea how to even drill & tap a hole, let alone run a big machine, almost anyone can learn from a book & a teacher teaching from the same book, but it takes hands on experience to learn it the right way

Oh yeah something else, that 2nd machine shop I was talking about where I worked alone for about 10 weeks, below I put a link to what they've turned into, I always knew they were gonna turn into a GIANT company, when I worked there we did a lot of work for P & G, they had the absolute worst engineers, always wanting to modify existing out of date machinery & parts, they also had a R & D lab was right around the corner from where our shop was, I drove many many miles to & from our shop to theirs with parts they were trying to change rather than start new
I'd machine a little bit on an existing parts, drive it around the corner, see if it worked, then back to the shop to make the needed changes, a few times the old existing parts would get ruined
Last I heard P & G doesn't have any manufacturing done in the states, it's all shipped over seas to have it done, then shipped back to the states, I wonder how much longer that's gonna last, I'm guessing the work must be done dirt cheap to cover the cost of the boat rides over there & back, some of it has to come back to keep the manufacturing plants here alive, or their plan is to have everything overseas, I don't see that happening for very long with the new people running the country (I hope that's not getting political)
I hafta say I kind a proud to have worked there for their first 10 years
http://www.machintek.com/index.html

Ron

PS, I sure hope that was worthy enough to eat yourself a bowl of popcorn or a bag of tater chips & at least 1 beer if your a beer drinker
Again it wasn't much of a rant

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 11:44 AM   #379
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Ah, much better! No popcorn, but I shelled a bunch of peanuts and munched as I read...nearly choked couple of times.
Old January 27th, 2017, 11:06 PM   #380
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Good read.

I had some peanuts and a rum and coke... Good enough?
Old January 28th, 2017, 07:02 PM   #381
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Why Thank ya's

Well my dadgum desk top computater decided to crap out on me again, soon I'm forced to use my hand-held computater (yeah I like to make my own silly words up for stuff similar to the real name but with a bit of stupid humar, (I have a rather wide variety of the definition of funny & stupid if ya's haven't noticed)) I do like how the lines are only 3 to 4 words long, it makes it easier for me to read because the one imneosoppresant (anti-rejection med) causes tremmors & my eyes kind a twitch (imagine reading while riding in a car going over a series of speed bumps about 20" apart, when I first started taking them I could a got a job as a paint can shaker, my boys would laugh when I was trying to eat peas or corn,the spoon would have 1 piece on it by the time I got it to my mouth ), when I read I hafta hi-lite sentences so I don't lose track of what I'm reading
I prolly should try using the speak-n-text out, but then the spelling wouldn't be as funny, I already dislike the auto spellpecker.... I mean spell checker, took me 3 tries to type computater & spellpecker, but now they're in my dicktionary

As ya's may have noticed, I have an issue with engineers who are
A- fresh out of school & are over thinking the job, (I really feel bad for those guys because eventually they turn out to be great at their job(that's why I always made sure to look at the person's name who did the print for future reference))
B- They haven't ever touched or worked with anything mechanical, if their 2 year old lawn mower wouldn't start & wasn't out of gas (some may not have even checked the gas because they have more money than brains & go buy a new one), didn't think to check the spark plug, so they just buy a new one

That's a bit exaggerated, but you get the idea

About the lawn mower comment, about 18 years ago when our oldest son was 12, our next door neighbors son who was in his mid 20's & knew absolutely nothing about cars except you had to put gas in them when the gauge got to E spent 10 or so minutes trying to start the lawn mower, he did get the gas can & added gas, it still wouldn't start, he got fed up, the next morning being trash day pushed it out to the curb, then asked my son if he wanted to make $20 to cut the grass, he jumped at the thought of a 20, I only gave him $10 to cut ours & I made him bag it, trim & sweep up, the guy next door thinking he was gonna get our mower to cut it went down & pushed their's up under our car-port, Paul said "good luck with that" my son asked me for my tools, I got my little socket set out & he proceed to do what he had watched me do almost every spring, he pulled out the spark plug & took a lil tooth brush sized wire brush & cleaned it up a bit, dipped it in the gas caps lid with a lil gas in it, put it back in, pulled the rope twice & nothing happened, I seen Paul kind a smile, he pulled it a 3rd time & the mower fired right up, Paul's lil smile slid off his face faster than an egg slides off them fancy new nifty ceramic skillets, Justin pushes Paul's trash mower over & proceed to the grass

He cut their grass & started cutting a few other neighbors yards with that mower he took out of the trash until he was 16, oh yeah, 2 years later he started charging $25 a yard & made everyone buy their own gas

He was one hell of a sales negotiater, he could sell an eskimo a freezer

I'll get back to the car soon, I'm gonna start to fix all the rough spots, cast a couple of those Flaming VW emblems like the one I did a while back last year, but I'm gonna make a left & a right, depending on how well they turn out, or even with a few imperfections to fit the "Rat Rod" look, hell I may even make a couple extras

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old February 19th, 2017, 12:28 AM   #382
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So for the last 10 days I've been talking it easy, I've had a transmission laying next to my car waiting to be put in, the engines been out waiting patiently for me to put it back in, I've averaged about an hours worth of work on the days I do work on it, I got transmissions switched & started getting things ready to put the engine in, I cut a piece of 2 by 12 about 40" long & put some heavy duty casters on the ends, I did that because I was tired of trying to pull the jack & engine back away from the car without it tipping one way or another, I can also get the jack out from under it & be able to roll it around, I think I'm gonna take another cradle/pad & bolt it to the wood so the board can't slide around on the jack, I also nailed some 1 by 2 boards on the top of the board on each side of the case sump so the engine can't slide around either

Friday I had my brother walk down to help me set the engine on the board, then this yesterday I put it in & tightened it down, this afternoon I'll hook up the fuel line, the accelerator cable & the wires, shouldn't take much more than 30 minutes, I may even take it for a drive

Here's a pic of the board with the 2 ton casters under it, like I said, they're heavy duty, I could set the car on it & skate board it any place I want

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; February 19th, 2017 at 08:53 AM. Reason: I forgot to put a pic
Old February 26th, 2017, 10:24 PM   #383
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I finally got my Volksrod back together & took it for a test drive up to the end of my street & back, it's only about 500 feet, I was able to get it into 4th gear but only for a few feet, everything seems to work ok, I won't know for sure until I can get it out for a longer ride but the registration expired & I won't be able to get it until Friday next week, I learned many many years ago not to even try to take it any further because I will get stopped & end up with a ticket & won't be able to aford to renew the registration
I did however think I did something wrong because it was shaking purty bad almost like it had a square tire on it, after a quick look around the car I noticed one of the rear tires had a purty nice sized bulg in it, these 2 tires are only about 5 years old & couldn't have but 5000 miles on them, so I had to dig around in my garage to find 2 tires on wheels, I found 3 sets that held air, one set was from one of my S10 Blazers with the alloy wheels that say 4X4 on them but one tire was almost bald, I chose the snow tires I had on the back of it before I put the tires that are on it now, they're on0
plain black wheels, I did find one baby moon hubcap for it, I know I had two of them at one time, I just can't seem to find the other one
The third set I found are off the back of my buggy, they've been sitting since 1997, the last 4 years they've been sitting on the ground with my Buggy chassis sitting on top of them, they're both flat, but to my surprise they held air, they just aren't meant to be street tires, they're 10" by 15" Ground Hawgs with a pretty aggressive mud tread on them, I just can't believe they still hold air, I got them used in 1994

I'm gonna see if I can find one baby moon hubcap for a 15" wheel, found 4 on Craigslist but they're for 14" wheels

Here's a few pics of what I put on & what I have on it

Here's the Blazer wheels, I could put all 4 of them on IF I had tires for them

Here's the ground hawgs that I'm not even sure I'd trust off road

So this weekend I'll see how everything goes with the transmission, wish me luck

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 29th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #384
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So today I was taking my granddaughter to pick up her new eye glasses, along the way we passed a flower and garden store, they had the coolest flower pot out front that I've ever seen, so on the way home we stopped in, I asked the store owner if he minded if I took a picture of it with my Volksrod next to it, he said sure but I couldn't get to close because of underground irigation pipes, so here's the pic below

I so wanted to do the same thing in my yard with the 56 Bug body I recently cut apart and scraped, but the township wouldn't a prove of it, I should a done it anyway

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 29th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #385
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Um, Flower Power is back?
Old July 30th, 2017, 04:34 AM   #386
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I didn't know flowers were a source of ptvower, we'll I take that back, it can be the power/fuel for love

That reminds me of a story about Trina my wife while we were dating, it was the spring of 1985, I didn't have a drivers license at the time, they were under suspension do to the point system, 12 points and you loose them for 6 months (in total I went from 8 points to 18, the last 10 were from one incident, if ya wanna know the details just ask)
So one beautiful Saturday afternoon during I walked to Trina's house, we started walking somewhere, just around the corner from her house was a house with the most beautiful flower garden, a mid 70's to early 80's woman lived there alone, we'll Trina says to me, "Ronnie, look at the pretty tulips", I said "yeah, they aren't nearly as beautiful as you" (I was trying he he he) she says "will you go get me one", I said "sure", the neighbor next door was pulling out of his driveway, I said "wait till he's gone", meanwhile I get out my knife to cut a few off for her, she says "no, no, just dig one up and I'll take it home and plant it" so as the car goes around a slight curve in the road I walk up and use my knife to dig up one tulip bulb, we start back towards her house which just happened to be the same direction the neighbor was going, when we get to the corner here comes the guy in his car, I didn't think he saw me, but he did, he made feel terrible, I mean I just wanted to disappear instantly, he says "I can understand you trying to give your girlfriend a flower, but to dig one up is just being rotten, that's all that women has is her flowers"
So I walked back alone and planted it back where I dug it up from, then the guy made me knock on her door and apologize, I did, then I went a step farther, she hadn't watered them yet that day, so I watered all her flowers, over the next few weeks that spring when I walked to Trina's house if she was out I would always offer to help her, she excepted a few times, I didn't have to do much, but twice she rewarded me with a few fresh cut flowers for Trina, I really enjoyed the few times I did help her with her flower garden, reminded me of helping my grandma who had died 2 years before, Trina only got to meet her once, but it was in a nursing home shortly before she passed, she most likely didn't realize who she was due to an inoperable brain tumor, they would have loved each other
By the way, it took a few years before I would even buy her any flowers

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 30th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #387
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

That's about the best 'Flower Power' story I've ever heard.
Old July 30th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #388
marnat3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

My Mom wanted to do that back in 1967 with the bug they brought back from Germany.
Brought it back in 1962. I was made in Germany, I think it was in that car.
Make it what you want, conform to no standards but your own--When you think it's done, if you say it's a volksrod---It is
marnat3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #389
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

That Bug flower pot was from Seattle, the woman I talked to didn't give many details except that and it sat in a garage before making its way here

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:14 PM   #390
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

This is a warning I decided to add after writing a 3 to 4 chapter story as to what I did starting Saturday and ending this evening about 5 o-clock pm

So this morning I got off to an early start, seems I had better start taking advantage of the longer day light hours, before ya know it October will be here and it's time to set the clocks back and it starts getting dark at 5:45 in the evening
I've had the rear wheels off my Volksrod for a while now because a belt spun, snapped or something on one side, I didn't like the tires anyway, they were 235/60's, just not tall enough for me, so I took them off, yeah I change all my Volksrod tires by hand, we'll that is unless I would happen to buy brand new tires, it only takes me about 20 to 25 minutes to get both tires off the wheels
I decided to change the color of the wheels as well, back when I put the Oldsmobile wheels on the back ones were red, so I just repainted them red, the front wheels are 14" off of another Cutlass I had, they were gold, (gonna repaint them tomorrow) I didn't care for them so while back I bought 2 rattle cans of blue, that's my favorite color, I sometimes refer to myself as having the blues
I cleaned them up as good and fast as I possibly could, set them out in the sun and took my leaf blower and blew the fuck out of them till they were good n dry, I then proceeded to put 3 good coats of blue paint on them, that didn't take long, it was an almost perfect day for painting, the sun dried the purty good between coats, than after the 3rd and last coat I let them sit in the sun for almost 3 hours before putting the tires on, that was a 20 minute job for both including airing them up, I use the starting fluid method to seat the beads, I've gotten good at changing tires over the last 35 years
Breaking the bead was always the toughest part, I did use an old bumper jack from cars back in the 60's and 70's I can't use them now because I don't have any big heavy cars, I was using my engine hoist, I would chain the arm that raises to the bottom just high enough to get a tire and bumper jack under it, jack it up until it pushed the bead off the seat, it sometimes took several attempts, we'll I have a Harbor Freight bead breaker a friend bought, he said it didn't work, I tried it a couple times with no luck, got to looking at it, the used one of my car ramps to set the wheel and tire at an angle and it worked better, but still not right, so Sunday I took an 1/8" by 1" wide by about 12" long piece of metal and then used my JYH (Junk Yard Hammer AKA Power Hammer for Blacksmith work) I used it to beat the very edge of the piece of steel until it was curved and at the same curve as a 15" and 14" wheel, then welded it to the part that pushes the bead section of the tire down off that part of the wheel, it only took about 4 or 5 minutes to do both tires, I'll put pics up after I show ya's what the one rear wheel looks like, I just need to get some tire cleaner and clean them up (my grandpa used black shoe polish when I was about 10 years old, I don't have any )

Here's the one wheel n tire, I have both ready to go on in the morning, I gonna cast and machine me some cool centers for these wheels, I hope I can do it before next year

I guess I'll hafta mask the front tires because I'm not taking them off, altho one is getting bald so I could just paint the tire n all

So here's my tire bead breaker, it's a Harbor Freight special, you really can't see what's under the car ramp, just some square bar stock, some 1/4" by 1" maybe, a curved piece of angle iron that's curved to fit a wheel about 24 inches in diameter, then the long handle to pull down on to break the bead, I use a piece of heavy pipe for more leverage, you can also see the piece I bugger welded to the angle, before it being so far off from the radius of the wheel it would just slip right off and wanna piss you off, but I quit getting mad a cheap tools that don't work right and re-engineer them so they do work, the next thing is to dig out some scrap iron and weld it at the angle of the ramp, I'm probably gonna add a large coarse double start acme threaded rod so the wheel can't be pushed away as it wants to do
Pics below

I do have two, possibly 3 weld beads that didn't turn out half bad, they're just so hard to see do to how crappy the rest of it looks, as long as it holds I'll be happy
I know ya's won't believe me, but I could weld really good up until about 5 years ago, I think it has a lot to do with it being a 120 volt mig with a 15% duty cycle, that and I have cateracts I need to get removed before the end of the year, I can weld much better on a welder with a 100% duty cycle, I just don't have access to it like I did, I do need to clean all the contacts on my Hobart 220 volt stick welder, I believe it's 240 amps

Sorry for writing a 3 chapter story about my tire tool and painting my wheels, I like them so much better than when they were red, it will also match the color of my Volksrod, mostly black from the doors to the rear and the front with the many different shades of blue flames
Oh yeah, body work is next, I don't like doing body work, I'd rather get greasy

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; July 31st, 2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old August 1st, 2017, 06:37 AM   #391
Number1tileguy
Site Supporter

The rims look great!!!
Good job Ron 👍👍
I haven't even figured out how to post pictures yet since this photo bucket crap happened so kudos for that as well....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67' Volksrod 2276cc (sold)

72' Baja Champion SE 1776cc

66' Volkstruck 1641cc
Number1tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 10:20 AM   #392
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

The wheel looks great, though I may be a bit prejudiced as my favorite color is also blue. Like you, unless I'm getting new tires, I swap my own tires using the old car jack method, and a couple of old leaf springs. 'Been doing that since I was a kid.
I use lots of soapy water to set the beads, but will give starting fluid a shot when I install a tire on one of my project bikes this weekend. 'Never heard of the before.
Old August 1st, 2017, 07:05 PM   #393
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

The starting fluid can be tricky, when I was a kid I watched one of the neighbor's do it pretty often, I didn't try it until about W years ago, my first few attempt were unsuccessful, so I looked it up on you tube, watched several videos, then tried it, I always keep my 3 pound hammer with a long handle handy, make sure you got a good spray inside, then spray a trail over the tire and a foot of more away from the tire, I use one of them gas grill lighters to light it, IF it doesn't pop and seal the bead right away I smack the tread of the tire with the hammer, usually that makes it pop and seal, then hurry and put air into the tire with your air hose, something about the different temps the tire will deflate and suck the sidewalls in
I've had a fire last about 20 to 30 seconds on the tire and ground, the starting fluid burns real fast, I also toss the can of starting fluid a few feet away after spraying it and before lighting anything

I just came in about an hour ago from painting one front wheel, I'll finish the 4th one in the morning

One other thing I have been swapping emails with John at aircooled.net about rejetting and tuning my dual single solex carburators, he needed my elevation, maim and idle jet sizes, they were just the way they come out of the box, it has 22 mm venturis, he recommended I get 28 mm venturis, are they easy to change, from the looks of it they appear easy to swap out

Thanks for any help

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #394
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I finished painting the last front wheel this afternoon, they look great but I need to refinish the outside of the car so the wheels stand out, I just can't decide on a cr, I liked it the way it was, but thinking about white instead of black and leave the front similar to the way it was
Guess I'll hafta paint it n see

Or just do the body work right and paint it gloss black

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old August 4th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #395
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

The color really makes the 'mag look' stand out! Beautiful job!
Old August 4th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #396
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Why Thank ya, I really like them as well

I need some centers for all four corners and I'd like to cast some with some stratigicly placed holes so they whistle as they turned, the faster they turn the louder they whistle, altho that would most likely annoy me more than anyone else, well, it might annoy my neighbors, hmmm.

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old August 5th, 2017, 03:16 PM   #397
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Back in the early seventies, one of my friends was an 'acoustical engineer.' After much experimentation, he discover that by drilling his stock VW hub caps in a certain way, the caps would play a tune at speed. Sadly, at 56 mph the tune was "Tip Toe Through The Tulips" by Tiny Tim. You did not want to be near him on the local expressway.
Old August 6th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #398
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Dadgum it Kim, I should a known better that to take a nice big drink of ice tea as I was reading that
I definetly cleaned my sinus cavities out, but dang does it burn, I also made a real mess
Many years ago a friends parents had that Tiny Tim song on a 45, it made it worse when you ran it faster, but it sounded so much better when you slowed it down, either way, it just sounded _ _ _ _ _, fill in the blank to your liking, I remember watching him on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, the funniest part of the entire song was a few of Johnny's facial expressions, I loved that show, I had to go to bed every night at 9:30 I would stay awake just so I could listen to the show, my parents caught me from laughing so hard all the time, eventually they let me stay up to watch it

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:12 AM   #399
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

I'm happy that you got the joke. Back in college in what is now Silicon Valley, I took part in an experiment where a company hired several students to watch a tape of a TV show playing over and over. This was the dawn of video and we were to watch for glitches and note them. So, my four hour shift began around midnight. Before he left, the tech had recorded part of a TV show. I was instructed not to mess with any of the controls and simply watch and note.
He'd recorded Johnny Carson and for my whole shift I watched, drum roll please, 'Tiny Tim and his stupid ukulele!' At first it was funny...but four f...ing hours! I'd told my buddy Russ about my ordeal and he thought it was pretty funny. I survived, but for a very long time had 'T T' running through my head at odd hours.

A year passed, I ended up in the Army, did a tour of Vietnam. Some nights on watch the damn song had run through my head and once back home Russ and I had a good laugh abut it. Until my birthday. I've moved north and received a nice card and package from Russ. His 'gift' was the record, "Tiny Tim's Greatest Hits." Because he was a friend , I played the whole thing one time, before sailing it over into the pasture behind us.
We're still friends and he still kids me about it.
Old August 10th, 2017, 11:46 PM   #400
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So this afternoon the parts for my dual carbs arrived, so I didn't waste anytime at all, I went to the car parts store an bought a 1 gallon can of carburetor cleaner, what a wast of money, I should have went to the paint store and got lacquer thinner or something as strong, it's been about 20 years since I've rebuilt a carb, the only nice thing about the gallon paint can was the basket it had inside, I had one hell of a time just removing the road dirt on the outside off, I used a little metal wire brush about the size of a tooth brush, it helped, it still didn't wanna break down all the dirt on it, I used a small amount of gasoline that came out of the float bowls when I drained them, it worked far better than the carb clean I bought, I just don't like using gas, it can be purty dangerous
So I did get one car finished just as it got dark, tomorrow morning I'm gonna do the other
The only 2 changes I'm doing are the venturis and the main jets, John at aircooled.net helped me out there, the carbs were on the car when i got it, they're Solex 32/34 PDSIT with 22 mm venturi's in them, John told me to get 28 mm venturis and 145 main jets, mine had 130 main jets, so once I get them set up properly I hole to squeeze a few more mpg's out of them, or just a little bit more power
It amazes me the difference in the internal diameters of the venturi's, from around 7/8 inch to 1-1/16 inch, I took a picture of them next to each other with a penny on to to compare the 2

Well I hope to have them both finished by lunch time so I can take it for a test drive, I'll let ya's all know how it goes

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS