Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old August 16th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #401
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: I aquired another VW

So it was Thursday afternoon when I started on my carbs, got the left side finished and mounted back on the car, Friday morning about 8:30 am I take the right side completely apart and let everything soak down about an hour, I pull the bottom section out first and get ready, then the top section and get it cleaned up, I get air line and blow out all the holes, wrap it in a plastic bag and get ready to do the main body of the carb when my phone rings, it's my wife Trina, I think she's just calling to see what I'm up to, she does that occasionally, rather I can hear panic in her voice and she asks me what I'm doing, I tell her I'm about ready to start reassembling my 2nd carb, she says to hurry up and to get to the ER closest to her work, tells me she's having chest pains and her blood pressure is up, then say take your time so I don't screw anything up and she'll see me as soon as I get there, then just hangs up
So now I'm freaking out, I have nobody within an hour who can ride me there, so I went ahead and finished that carb, I rushed thru it since there really isn't a lot to putting one together, the tough part is getting it on and getting them tuned in together, so after I get it back together and on I fire it up, it's idling a bit high but that because I set the butterfly valves with a 0.002" thickness gage, I adjusted the mixture screw as best I could till they were both as close as I could get them, then let the idle down an 1/8 turn at a time going from one side to the other, once I was satisfied with it I cleaned up and took off, the ER hospital is about 7 miles away, they just finished building it about 2 years ago, you can see it right off the highway, I was going so fast I couldn't slow down in time for the exit without causing an accident, so I took the next one, I got there in about 30 minutes

So anyway she wasn't having a hearth attack which was the 1st thing to go thru my mind, her dad had one right after he turned 40, she's 49, turned out it was stress and anxiety that her manager and directed are giving her hell about when she missed 6 days of work when I had my brain hemmrage, their trying to tell he it doesn't fall under the FLMA papers she has on me because of all my health problems, she's been fighting with them over my FLMA stuff for the last few years to the pint their starting to pick at her work, every bit of it until they do find a mistake, she gets all 5's on her yearly evaluations, that's like straight A's, but their really trying to make her make mistakes, so far they have only found 2 in the last 5 to 6 years that they have been giving her hell, one was because she forgot to put a dash between a name, something stupid, but she takes a lot of pride in her work and has since she's been there, a few moths away from 26, she decided to fight back, that's when the anxiety started taking its toll, we'll her doctor wrote a letter for her to take a week or 2 off, so now she can rest up and get with her union and get everything straightened out, years ago Government jobs were good to have, now their trying to make it so you can be fired on the spot depending g on what it is, up until a few years ago it could take over a year or longer, I say fuck em, go in every day, do exactly the minimum amount of work, in a week she can do what it takes 4 other employees to do and help others with their work

Oh yeah about my car, I haven't driven it much since I finished the carbs, but it does have a lot more power to it, most likely because it's not getting so much fuel pushed thru it that it doesn't have time to get warmed up properly, I'm gonna see what they look like when I set my carb sync toll on them, right now I'm happy

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #402
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Ron, Trina; both of you, quit screwing around!

Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 12:59 AM   #403
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
Ron, Trina; both of you, quit screwing around!

Jeff
Jeff, ya know I wish I could say we were screwing around, that would be fun, and I'm not just talking about screwing

I just think the 2 of us were made for each other, I have always said either one, or both of us could trip and fall into the biggest rose bush and we would come out smelling like crap, as opposed to stepping in dog crap and come out smelling like a rose, I'm not gonna call it good luck or bad luck, it's just the way life has seemed to happen since the day we met, if something is gonna happen, chances are it's gonna happen to me, if not me it's gonna some how happen to her
Trust me when I say we try to be careful no matter what we do, for some reason 50 people waiting to cross a rope bridge that looks like it should have been replaced 50 years ago, 25 make it across no problem, me part of the rope breaks and I make it, but it's definitely not safe, my wife follows me, another key piece of rope brakes but she makes it, the last 23 people have no trouble at all, nothing breaks, on the way back I decide the two of us are gonna climb down and cross at the bottom and climb back up, it takes an extra 2 hours, the other 48 cross the road bridge with no problems, if I would walk back and step one foot on it, it's going down
Anymore we stay home and don't go anywhere except where we hafta go, I'm ok with it and she is too

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old August 25th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #404
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Oh yeah, almost forgot about my car after getting the carbs done syncronized finally, I had a tough time, finally when everything seems to be running good my brother asks me if I can use it and my trailer to go pick up a riding mower from our mom's house for him, we get about half way there and my car starts sputtering, I stop to make sure nothing fell off or came loose, it looks good we go on our way, it's still sputtering every now n then, we loaded up the mower, it's not very big, maybe about 500 lbs, off we go, bout a mile from mom's it starts running bad, I pull one carb off and take a look, it has a rubber plug over what I think is for the vacuum advance, I'm running a 009 distributor with Petronix ignition, the dang cap has a Crack in it, only thing I could do was wrap a little electric tape around it, it runs fine all the way home, why on that day did the dang thing developed a hole, because I was helping someone, so I stop and buy a PA ck of new assorted plugs, I also ordered a svda distributor for it, it's a 009 with a vacuum deal on it, I hope it gets here soon
I bought it after emailing with John at aircooled.net, I bought that distributor back in the 80's when they advertised them like they were the best in the world, plus the place I bought it at recommended it with the weber progressive carb I bought that same day, that was when I didn't know much about them, I eventually put the original distributor back in, I don't have any now with a working vacuum advance, so I have the best of both worlds, vacuum and mechanical advance

Then today I pulled out the original transmission where the reverse gear was bad on one side, I flipped it around and had trouble getting it back together, the pinion gear would sieze up just as I got the nuts tight, well 1st gear went out in the transmission I put in back during spring, so tomorrow I should have it assembled, Monday I'm gonna pull everything out to change transmissions, hopefully by that time my new distributor should be here and I can finish everything next week without falling into a rose bush

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old August 25th, 2017, 09:02 AM   #405
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Some people call it a struggle, others call it adventure, Ron just calls it Tuesday.
Jeff
Old August 25th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #406
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I like the way you put that Jeff

I try to think of everyday as an adventure, some I struggle thru and others I sit back and relax, I just walked in from a few moments of torquing the gear housing onto the front of the transaxle case, after while I'm gonna go out and bolt the nose cone on, tomorrow morning I'll drop in the differential and bolt the side cover, hopefully it goes that easy or I may start using a sledge hammer to put this stuff together

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old September 15th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #407
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So it's about 2 am Saturday morning, Friday morning I woke up full of energy, so I dropped the engine out of the Volksrod and swapped transaxles, I had so much energy left I decided to fix the oil leaks, I know at least one pushrod tube is leaking, I only have stock ones so I had to pull the head off a little bit, put the tubes in and torqued it back on, I noticed it had oil leaking from the top of the engine, turns out it was the oil cooler, lucky I had one laying around, so I got everything bolted back on except the fan shroud and generator, gonna get up in a few hours and put that on the engine and put the engine back in
I'm gonna hafta redo the carbs again, but after reading about them on aircooled.net and talking to John thru email it doesn't take much, I should get much better milage from it, I'll hafta wait til I can fill it up
I know it does run much better since putting the SVDA distributor in, it doesn't have that hesitation when you step on the accelerator pedal like it did

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; September 15th, 2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #408
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So it's been about a week since swapping the transmissions, I have driven it about 30 or so miles, it is so nice having 4 forward gears AND reverse, it is once again fun to drive

The engine is about 250 miles shy of 10,000, after swapping transmissions and doing a valve adjustment I noticed that one side the exhaust is much colder on the 1 & 2 side than it is on the 3 & 4 side at idle of around 850 rpm, if I raise the idle up to around 1200 to 1500 rpm they seem to even out, when driving it normal it runs great from 1st to 2nd then 3td, once in 3rd and I accelerate it starts to pop out the exhaus
I've done a lot of reading on aircooled.net, according to them it could be running lean, I guess I should just keep it under 3000 rpm until I figure it out, I've checked for leaks, it could be a bit questionable but I ran out of starting fluid guess I'll hafta get more tomorrow

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #409
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I'm having some issues with the camber on my Volksrod, I've adjusted it as far as it will go but it's nowhere close, I haven't ran into anything so nothing is bent, I have check all the parts and nothing is worn out, the only thing I did was this past February one of the sway bar clamps was broken and the other one was about ready to break loose, so I took the sway bar off, I have 2 more clamps I just haven't gotten around to putting it on, I don't think that could cause the camber to go out so much but I thought I would ask
Also aircooled.net sells camber adjusters that say they are offset much more than original ones are, how did they fix this before someone made these, did they bend the trailing arms?
I'm headed out to the garage to dig out a set of those adjusters, I'm gonna see if I can make my own, I know if somebody makes them I can do the same, I just wanted to see if I'm over looking something, I'm getting good at that these days, I need to buy a set of front tires but I wanna fix this first, I have 2 decent tires to put on until I do get it fixed
I can use suggestions anyone has

Ron

PS. I'll try to add a pic later

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; October 18th, 2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #410
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

You might have different year trailing arms. I think they changed the camber slightly in later years.
Jeff
Old October 18th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #411
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well I'm just gonna make a set of those camber adjusters myself, the toughest part about that is gonna be the tapered reamer for the ball joint stud, I think I might even have one, if not I'll make one

I wish I wouldn't have scrapped all the front end parts, but it would have been a PITA finding a different set, the ball joints
I would still like to know how they got so much positive camber when last time I checked them the one side was about right at a 1/2 a degree negative and the other side was about a 1/2 a degree positive, that was about 2 years ago, maybe everything bent from the terrible streets we have around here, there's a 1/4 mile section of road I drive over every time I go to the store that's like driving over railroad ties, they need to replace it, instead they just keep patching away at it, I should take a video of it when I drive over it, I suppose after a couple years it could cause parts to bend
Thank ya Jeff

Ron

Here's a pic of the passengers side

Pic of the drivers side

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; October 19th, 2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old October 18th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #412
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I thought you were talking about the rear. As far as the front, you might have a bent arm.
Jeff
Old October 19th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #413
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Road-wise, out here, 'they' do a lot of making 'pot holes' into 'pot humps.'
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #414
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

This one section of road is at the bottom of a pretty good sized hill, above is the elementary school I went to, there's a very large parking lot and pave playground, next to that they built a subdivision and all the run off water goes down the hill right onto the street below, that's wgy it's in such bad shape
They need to dig it up and put in a large underground storm water sewage system, yeah right, putting patches on its cheaper

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old October 19th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #415
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

This morning I went out and did something other than lay on the couch, I started making those camber adjusters, I have one almost finished, tomorrow I'll put the hex on it, then I need to make a tapered cutter to put the ball joint hole in it, I took a few pictures when I was cutting the taper that seats into the spindle to show how I got the angle right, I checked the original piece with a protractor, then set the compound to 15 degrees, made a few cuts, then I mark the surface up with a sharpie, put the spindle on it and push and twist it to see where it rubs the sharpie off, then adjust it until I get at least 85 - 90% contact, then finish it up
Here's a few pics since I like taking them, gimme a camera and watch out

Before I could start them I had to finish the flywheel I started lightening up back around February or March, I took off 7 lbs, I could probably take off another pound or two, then comes the fun part, balancing it

Here's a pic of the camber parts aircooled.net sells for $45 a set

Here's mine, I made them 1/4 inch longer so getting the angle would be easier, you can see the step at the end

Then here you can see the contact, I only had to make one adjustment to get almost full contact

Here it is finished before I faced off the 1/4 inch

Mine next to the original one, you can see the difference where the ball joint hole is located compared the ones they sell

I put the original one in the spindle, then the one I made

Tomorrow I'm gonna put an evil hex on it, then make another one, then I need to find a tapered cutter, I have a box of 2 flute key way cutters, I've used them to make custom tapered cutters over the years, the flutes are straight rather than spiral like must end mills, I just need to borrow a 5c collet for my grinding fixture and I'll be good, altho I think I have a tapered reamer somewhere that the same as the ball joints taper, I hope to have these finished so I can get some tires on my car by Monday, at the moment my drivers side tire is almost a slick

Felt good doing something, I put in a 10 hour day, my back, legs and shoulders are throbbing, that's what I get for doing absolutely nothing for the last 2 weeks, I may not do anything tomorrow

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old October 20th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #416
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Hey Ron, the work you're doing is just amazing! Thanks for the pics.
Old October 21st, 2017, 08:30 PM   #417
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So after a few waves of my hands to distract the audience (I had a bird fly into my garage this morning, and I have a family of ground hogs living somewhere on the one side) then I say "oogley boogley" and now they have hexes on them
I drilled the holes as far as I possibly could to the edge without the breaking into the tapered side, it moved the hole an eighth of an inch more out of center than the original one, the small side of the hole is just under 9/16" diameter, the top or large side is 5/8"
Now all I need to do is get a tapered reamer/cutter to finish them, the one I have is to big, the small end is the same size as the large diameter, so it looks like I'm gonna make one out of a piece of 3/4" diameter drill rod then heat treat them myself, first I'm gonna take some material out by step drilling the holes
A few more pictures for your viewing pleasure

I used a 9/16" diameter cutter and moved it so it wouldn't break thru the side, then I drilled a 1/2" hole all the way thru

Here you can really tell the difference in how much farther the hole is offset

The wrench I used to turn these pieces when adjusting the camber was a little bit big, now it's a nice snug fit, one a these days I'll make a better wrench so it's easier to get in there than mine to turn them

It took me about 3 hours to make the first one, but after I had all my tools ready and setup it only took about 50 minutes to do the second piece, I'd a had them finished completely before noon today if I would of had the cutter, I look at it as I saved myself $50 from buying them, it's nice and convenient having a machine shop in my garage
Another time consuming part was cutting the pieces off the end of the barstock I used, I used my power hacksaw for that, it took 20 minutes each, I'm not exactly sure what alloy this stuff is but is harder than a wedding dick, I once worked with a guy that said that all the time, first time I heard him say it I couldn't stop laughing,
Until next time when I hope to show you a finished and used cutter as well as a car where the wheels don't like the bottom is leaning way out

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old October 21st, 2017, 08:51 PM   #418
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

That's hella impressive Ron!
Jeff
Old October 22nd, 2017, 07:51 AM   #419
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

You gonna get those cad plated so they don't corrode to the other half of the situation?

Last edited by SCOTTRODS; October 23rd, 2017 at 04:28 AM.
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 08:39 AM   #420
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Why Thank ya Jeff, I try my best to take advantage of my best talents, right now machining is the only one safe enough to do, if I fire my foundry or forge I'd be afraid something would catch fire, it's a fire hazard in that part of my garage

I have way to small of a budget to coat them with anything other than anti-seize, plus besides this material being hard as hell it wasn't rusted like all the other material it was laying with so I'll take a piece and leave it in some water and see what happens

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old October 31st, 2017, 07:33 PM   #421
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well after doing some research and reading I decided that I'm going to zinc plate these camber adjusters before putting them on, I have almost everything to do it, I read that if you want the parts to turn out shinny to use sugar in your liquid mixture, I'm not to worried about what they look like as long as they are completely coated, altho I may throw in a handful of sugar for the hell of it, the one thing I'm not exactly sure of is how much zinc to use, I'll just go ahead and use an ounce or maybe 2, it shouldn't cost all that much, maybe less than a dollar, I can always save what I don't use for something in the future

I'll be sure to take a picture or two, I need to hurry it up because my front tires are almost slicks and I don't wanna put these last 2 used tires on till I can get them adjusted better

That brings up another thought/question, after reading on aircooled.net's site about performance and suspension tunings it says he uses 3/16" toe in, that's only a 1/16 more than what I have always set mine at, but I guess if you plan on driving fast most of the time it could help, I guess next time I align mine if it's with in 3/16" I will just let it go

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 2nd, 2017, 01:38 PM   #422
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So this morning I zinc plated the camber adjusters, I made my plating setup fast and cruse, found a plastic bucket like container that holds about 2-1/2 to 3 litres, mixed up 1 lite of tap water with 1 lite of white vinegar, then used 100 grams of epsom salts and 100 grams of sugar last nite
Here's my zinc, I melted 50 pennies 10 at a time, I poured them on a piece of metal, they were about the size of a nickel and about 1/4" thick, I put them in the electrolyte to disolve a little before I turned on any power, I took them out and flattened them out then drilled holes in them so I could string them on a copper wire

Here's are the parts getting plated, the liquid was clear last night, this morning it was cloudy from the zinc soaking overnight

This is after 20 minutes before I cleaned them up a bit

Here they are after I took a brass brush to them, I didn't have any denatured alcohol to clean them in before plating a 2nd time so I just used 91% isopropyl alcohol

And this is after three 20 minute plating times, I wire brushed them then took some steel wool to them, I wish I would have done them 1 at a time so you can see the difference, maybe the next time I plate some parts

It's a pretty easy process, now I just need to upgrade some of the stuff I use, I might hafta try some other metal other than zinc in the future, I'm also gonna plate some of the tools I made for my milling machine and lathe to keep them from rusting during these cold nights and warm days, my garage not having heat stuff rusts real easy unless I keep oil on it, it gets messy, I'll be glad I don't need to waste so much oil

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 2nd, 2017, 02:14 PM   #423
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

DAAAAAAAAAAMN!:b ow:
Jeff
Old November 2nd, 2017, 02:52 PM   #424
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

^X2!!!! You know if Ron told us that he had just opened a Time Vortex by reverse polar-a-ting his zinc plating system, I would believe him.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:40 PM   #425
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

That's killer work, Ron. I love that you plated those dudes... I hate for great looking work to just rust and cause issues.