Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old April 4th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #26
1965aaron
Forum Member

Default Re: I aquired another VW

this is fantastic!!
im so jealous you have a lathe at home!!!

i cant wait to have space for a lathe and a mill.
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:43 AM   #27
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965aaron View Post
this is fantastic!!
im so jealous you have a lathe at home!!!

i cant wait to have space for a lathe and a mill.
Thank ya,
I'm very thankful I have a lathe and a BIG lathe at that will hold a 20 inch diameter piece, I have a big horizontal mill that I plan to add a Bridgeport type vertical head to in the future

I have your basic Antique Machine Shop, there are pictures of most of it all in my web site at the very bottom of my signature, most of my stuff is covered with other stuff, takes an hour to use something, one day I will organize everything and stop bringing everything I see home if it's free and I can find a use for

Gotta go find some thread inserts for the rear fenders today, got questioned about it yesterday when I stopped at the store, was told if it's my daily driver I better put fenders on as well as bumpers, he was more worried about the back ones than the front which needs some kind of bumper as well,
So I'll come up with something

I even have a set of Baja fiberglass fenders to cut first before cutting the steel fenders

Just hafta see what I can do to keep everybody happy, as well as me,

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #28
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So it is warming up oh how I love heat and the Sun

I hope to get lots of my projects finished this year, or at least try to touch most of them

So I was told to put some fenders on my car, I did, but only on the rear, I just put the original fenders on it, I was given a set of tear drop tail lites with blue dots years ago for the V8 Bug, so I put them on because all the VW tail lites needed work before going on

I'm gonna find something I can use as front fenders, as well as work on my rear disc brake caliper brackets, hope to have them on real soon

Then I'll start on the front sheet metal, makes me tired just typing about it here's a few pictures of the back

Still not sure what I'm gonna do between the fenders, I have "part" of an apron I can try to rebuild, or just make something else, I'm also gonna put the 66 bumper on the back, maybe modify the front bumper seeing how it has the shape of a utility pole in it

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #29
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So it looks as if I'm gonna hafta drop the engine, split the case to see where the oil is leaking out of the rear or the engine, looks as if it is coming out the end of the crankshaft and the pulley. I have never had an engine leak in this spot.

So does anyone have one of these sand seal kits which requires no machining of the case and uses a different pulley?

If so I'd like to know the diameter of the pulley where it goes thru the seal, if I had that measurement I'll just turn the end of one of my pulleys down to that size then just buy the seal and save me a bit of $$

I almost have my rear brake caliper brackets finished, I just need to drill 4 holes, then put it all on to see where I'll hafta drill the last 2 holes where the caliper bolts on. Figured I'd do it while I'm having engine troubles.

Hi Ho Hi Ho Hi Ho, off to work on the Bug I shall go

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 5th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #30
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The prop hub on my 1835 cc VW engine is the same OD as the pulley hub on the engine. It uses a VW bus rear wheel seal. I put it on and covered the outside of it with JB weld. No leaks, bone dry. Pop
Old May 5th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #31
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

A picture is worth a thousand words. If you want, I can give you a part # tomorrow. I think it cost about $6.50 at a NAPA parts store. Pop

Last edited by Pop; May 1st, 2012 at 06:16 AM.
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #32
trikertroy
Forum Member

Are those 40hp heads?.. and what do the red tubes do?
trikertroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #33
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Those are single port heads, ( 1969) for more torque at the low prop rpm of , cruise- 2700 rpm, Full power- 3050 rpm with the prop. The red tubes are air ducts to the full flow oil cooler that is on the firewall. (VW doghouse oil cooler). Oil goes from the oil pump cover plate- to hot oil box at the base of the carb ( also cools the oil 20 deg.)-- to the oil cooler-- to the oil filter-- back to the engine. Cruise -- 80 mph, top speed 95 mph. Rate of climb- 1200 foot per minute. Pop
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #34
trikertroy
Forum Member

Wow... I really like the set up.. Gotta control carb iceing and oil temp and a whole lot of stuff at the same time.. Very interesting..

The proformance sounds excellent...
trikertroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #35
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Thanks -- Take-off and climb like a 150 hp Super Cub. 60 HP VW, 1835 cc, with a empty weight of 450 lbs. Pop
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #36
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

metalmaster1776-- do you want the part number for the seal ? Pop
Old May 7th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #37
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
metalmaster1776-- do you want the part number for the seal ? Pop
I thought I posted a yes I want the part number for the seal yesterday, but I guess I could have clicked the X and closed it before I sent my reply.
I tend to do stupid shit like that when I'm tired or in a hurry

but yes I'd like the part number.

I may look up seals and see if I can find one that fits over the stock crankshaft pulley then machine the case to fit the O.D. of the seal.
Or if I knew the size of the special pulley that you use for a un-machined case I would just but the seal only, then turn one of my many crank pulleys down to fit the seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozawhat View Post
Sorry for the hijack,

I have a question for Pop,
What are you running for an ignition system??

Now returning to the regularly scheduled program.
Hijack away, you never know, I may learn something new, and I'd like to know about the ignition system as well as more about his plane.
Hell I might put a prop on the back of my Bug just for shit's and giggles.
I have thought about building me one ever since I saw one in a "Popular Mechanics" magazine when I first started wanting a VW.
Which was back in 1976, my aunt married a man who had a 1927 Bugatti replica using a modified VW floor pan and engine, it was the funnest time I ever had in a car (I was 10 at the time), I remember I got in and my uncle (they got a divorce a few years later) told me to keep my arms in because he had no rear fenders on it, then he took off lifting the front wheels about 4 feet off the ground and I was hooked on VW's ever since.

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 7th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #38
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Seal # is National- #6815, Chicago-#19219. My prop O.D. at the seal is 1.925" . I don't have a VW pulley to measure the O.D. .

For ingnition, I am using a Slick Mag driven from the flywheel end. It retards 25 deg for starting, and the timing is set at 28 deg. Next I am going to add a CDI ingnition in the dist. hole and put 10 mm plugs in the bottom of the heads for dual ingnition.

Picture 004 is the updraft Zenith carb and the hot oil box above the carb flange and the oil cooler on the firewall . The oil filter was not installed in this picture.

Picture 0074 is the Mag between the 2 airducts to the oil cooler.

Watch it fly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfrSaQ2PVeA Pop

Last edited by Pop; May 1st, 2012 at 06:16 AM.
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #39
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

I had a leak at the pulley in an old 40hp (way back) and when I took it apart, the oil slinger at the end of the crank had been installed backwards so it directed the oil at the seal. Just a thought.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #40
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
I had a leak at the pulley in an old 40hp (way back) and when I took it apart, the oil slinger at the end of the crank had been installed backwards so it directed the oil at the seal. Just a thought.
I'm gonna go ahead and split the case see what's going on, if the slinger is on backwards

I just hope it didn't rub a hole in the case, if so I'll cut the rear of the case for a seal

Hey Pop
That plane is awesome, I liked the ride

I'd so like one of those, maybe someday

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #41
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Thanks, Now if I could just get my VW, V8 powered flat bed truck finished. Pop
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #42
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
Thanks, Now if I could just get my VW, V8 powered flat bed truck finished. Pop
I know exactly how ya feel.

I stopped on my V8 VW almost 2 years ago I think, it's been so long I forget now.

Once I get my Eldorado finished, running and out of the garage I'm gonna clean and organized everything inside as well as try to get all my machines running. Then I'm gonna start back on the V8 Bug

Maybe I'll have it running by July of this year, and finished by July of 2012.

They have been having a car show here on the last Sunday of July called "Rolling on the River" which is going on it's 22nd year. I may enter my V-Rod this year if all goes well between now and then

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 12th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #43
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So today I took off the crank pulley to see if I was able to tell if the oil slinger is on backwards, it looks like it's on the right way.

Next I checked the pulley diameters, both the inside hole which fits over the crank as well as the outside diameter of the pulley which fits into the case.
The inside of the pulley is about 0.008" bigger than a stock steel pulley, and the outside diameter is about 0.010" smaller than the original pulley.
So maybe it could be the slop it has when put over the end of the crank, or the outside diameter being a few thousands smaller letting oil out and slinging it everywhere

I have been using the aluminum pulley for as long as I can remember, I bought it back in 1986 and put it on every VW I had and never developed an oil leak, so maybe the outside just wore out over the years enough to let oil out.
I wonder if I could cut an o-ring groove inside the aluminum pulley so IF the oil is seeping thru the bigger bore the o-ring may stop it. I don't know but what the hell it's only a pulley I could make a new one if I want.

I was reading in a book I have and it says something I think about the threads inside the crank that hold the pulley on can let oil thru and it slings everywhere.

I could machine the rear end of the case for an oil seal while the engine is still assembled, I just need to find the right size seal as well as make a setup so I can bolt the case onto the ways and then use a tool and bore it to size and depth.

Pop's, I checked the National seal number and it says it has an inside diameter of 1.940" whith an outside diameter of 2.505" and a thickness of 0.250". The end of the crank is 1.960" so I could use that seal if I cut a 1/4 inch deep bore of 2.500" diameter and there is plenty of material to cut for this seal.

I also took a empty engine case with cylinders and heads mounted on, I used it to bolt into my Buggy when I modified the back of the chassis so I made sure there was plenty of clearance for the exhaust and all the other parts. Anyhow I set it up on my lathe so I can get started making a setup to cut the rear of the case for a seal.

I also plan to mount the case onto the carriage and build a cutter so I can align-bore the case, I will make a cutter that mounts between centers and has 4 cutters to cut the main bearing journals as well as a cutter to cut the thrust on the #1 main, then make another cutter so I can cut the rear for a seal as well.

I do have a rather crude setup using my mock up case to show how it will be done, it's gonna take a while to get everything fabricated and tested on an old case which is not usable, but I will get it finished at least 3 years from now, or longer, it depends on how busy I can keep myself.

Here is the picture of a complete engine except it has nothing inside sitting on my lathe waiting for me to start fab'n a mounting bracket for the case and a cutting tool to bore all the bearing journals

It's just blocked up so it is close to being in line with the pipe I have chucked and the center is in the tail stock end.

Another project in the works

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #44
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Saturday I put a stock VW pulley on the engine, I let it run for 15 - 20 minutes and it did leak a bit but nothing like before, it wasn't spinning from the pulley all over the place, after turning it off it had left a small puddle an inches across.

So yesterday I got myself a sand seal kit and a pump cover for full flow oil filter, everything was 10% off for their annual VW show and swap

The buggy's that were there looked at home in the rain, there were about 12 of them there, I missed the other two

They were the only 14 VW's there compared to last year's 100+ from what I was told, there were 5 people selling stuff. They didn't have much, a set of 15 by 12 inch wide 4 lug rusty wheels caught my attention, I didn't have the $ and I thought he wanted a bit much for them as to the shape they were in.

I'm gonna put the new pulley and the seal on and see what happens. If it leaks now I guess it's time to open it up

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #45
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well after I installed the sand seal and pulley everything was fine, so I left it running for 30 minutes while sitting and watching and nothing leaked out, before I turned it off I revved it up a bit, about 2000 - 2500 RPM then shut the key off, walked around the back and oil was everywhere from slinging off the pulley
I stood watching air bubbles seeping out from the crank pulley bolt and washer, I may try a breather box filled with foam and weld a little pipe to each valve cover and run tubing from them to the breather box as well as the tube next to the oil filler cap and see if that helps.

I'm trying to keep from splitting the case, I just want this thing to make it a few more months while working on my Eldorado, then I may have the funds to build another engine.

We have needed a 2nd car for almost 3 years now and not having a 2nd car really sucks

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #46
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Sounds like a new set of pistons, rings, Jugs set would take care of the problem, ( way to much blow-by building pressure in the case ) . If your jugs are not out of round and wore out, you might get by with honing the jugs and new rings, but that would just be a temp fix. Pop
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #47
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Yeah I'm gonna head out soon and drop the engine and put a set of 85.5 mm pistons on and see what happens, they aren't new but a friend gave them to me, he said they only have about 1500 miles on them, I honed them yesterday and checked the inside diameter of the cylinders and they aren't worn at all.

I guess I shall find out later this evening or tomorrow morning.

The one think that bothers me about all this is, when I check the oil it is right at the full mark on the dip stick, after I start it and let it run for a few minutes or even just crank it over with out starting, then let it sit 15 to 20 minutes and I pull the dip stick out, wipe it off, stick it back in to check it, the entire dip stick is covered with oil.

So I let it sit a few hours and it's back down to the full mark, crank it over or start it, turn it off and wait 15 to 20 minutes and check it again the dip stick is again covered with oil as if the crank case it full to the top.

I don't know what to think

Is there some way the oil could be clogged up and oil not draining back into the bottom of the case or maybe it is draining back down into the case near the dip stick area covering it with oil when I pull it out?

Guess I'll find out soon enough maybe it needs a radio

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #48
38Chevy454
Forum Member

Sure sounds like excess crankcase pressure. Most likely leaking by the rings as suggested. You could try a PCV type system, as a temp fix. Your new pistons and cylinders sound like they should be better condition.

The oil on dipstick is made worse by cold thick oil, thinner hot oil should drain back down fairly quick. No explanation why it gets covered with oil after rotating engine. Maybe since you have had the excess pressure it has forced some sludge up the dipstick tube and that is making it drain back slowly? Easy enough to make sure the tube is clear once you pull it out, look down into it or just try cleaning it out.

buy here directly: www.hotrodlatches.com

Last edited by 38Chevy454; May 18th, 2011 at 07:27 AM.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #49
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I just wish I had the money to fix it right rather than this band-aid bullshit I have been doing to it the past few weeks, then again I'd rather use band-aids on the car and keep the money for my health, without that I wouldn't have a life at all

Today I dropped the engine and took off everything that needs being off so in the morning I can change the P/C's once I get them all cleaned up. I should have had them on today but I just didn't have it in me to do anymore work

Friday is my youngest son's last day of school , Monday is his graduation ceremony, and today he just got word that he got selected for a Pipe Fitters Apprentice which starts after Labor Day

So soon my wife and I should have the house all to ourselves

Ron

I cain't believe it, a post with less than 200 words (but what you cain't see is my hands doing the talking)

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #50
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Tell your son, Congratulations The test he took is not easy, and he had a lot of competition.

If you need anything welded, he will be your man, because he will be taught to be an expert welder amoung a lot of other things.
I started out going in the Boilermakers apprentiship in the 60's, and also have a Millwright card. Pop