- by JiI

Old May 20th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #51
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: I aquired another VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
Tell your son, Congratulations The test he took is not easy, and he had a lot of competition.

If you need anything welded, he will be your man, because he will be taught to be an expert welder amoung a lot of other things.
I started out going in the Boilermakers apprenticeship in the 60's, and also have a Millwright card. Pop
Thanks, I'll relay the measage.

I think he said there were 64 people counting him taking the test, he got the 2nd highest score out of all 64 of them.

As for him doing all my welding, he has been doing most of it since the summer before his junior year in high school, so he had a little experience before even starting school. I just showed him basics and hjow to adjust it for different diameter rods and thickness of materials, well I showed him what I knew. My oldest son is a purty good welder too (for a carpenter ) Both my son's are very good at most everything they do and also pick things up very easy once they are shown how to do it as was I.
He's gonna finish all the welds on my BitchN Bug once I get everything fab'd up on it and tear it apart to rebuild the engine and tranny

I can only do small welds and tac welds on sheet metal, but as far as my welding goes, I totally suck at it now since having had surgery to both eyes to restore my vision from complications from having diabetes after my kidney transplant, I have mentioned it before that after my kidney transplant I lost all control of my blood sugar.

Here's an example, if welding an inch long I can do that, but when I try to lay down a bead any longer than an inch I can't see where I'm welding unless I have something to guide my hand on in order to keep a straight line, after going an inch I start to go to one side, like if I'm but welding two pieces together that are 3 inches wide, after an inch I start going at a 30 or 45 degree angle to 1 side or the other.

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #52
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Ron -- A little trick that might help to keep on the welding line is to take some soapstone and highlight the area that you want to weld. The white mark of the soapstone is a lot easier to see, and will not hurt the weld. I have use it before when all I had was a #12 lens and was welding in a dark place. Pop
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:19 AM   #53
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Ron -- A little trick that might help to keep on the welding line is to take some soapstone and highlight the area that you want to weld. The white mark of the soapstone is a lot easier to see, and will not hurt the weld. I have use it before when all I had was a #12 lens and was welding in a dark place. Pop
I have tried the soap stone, but I couldn't even see it.
My eyes are terrible, I can't see much of anything when it's dark, and when welding it makes me dizzy as hell because it is as if I'm looking at a strobe light.

My welding helmet is adjustable, turn the nob one way it gets lighter, turn it the other way it gets darker, I just cant see unless I have a bright light pointed towards what it is I'm welding.

I can't complain about it, I'm just glad I can still see anything at all after being blind in both eyes (at different times). I had a blood vessel inside my eyes that hemorrhage filling my eyes with blood. They did what is called a "vitrectomy" which involves removing all the vitreous fluid from inside your eye, then filling it up with some fluid which is like the vitreous fluid, it leaves an air bubble inside your eye which goes away, then after a week or two you can see just as good as before.

Thank ya Pop for trying to help me out,
I appreciate it

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:42 AM   #54
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I almost forgot to tell ya's about my engine, after I replaced the P/C's, once I got it all back together and started it up it was idling at around 2000 RPM (the linkage was to short and keeping the throttle open a bit) I let it run like that for about 5 minutes.

When I realized why it was idling so high I shut it off and waited to see if oil started leaking out, there was none. I also checked to see if it had excessive crankcase pressure which it had almost none of. The hose that comes out of the oil filler I help my thumb over it while running to see if it builds up pressure, which it didn't.

So now I need to sync the carbs and I'm ready to get back on the road again

I hope to get my disc brakes finished and on the rear before next weekend, then I'm gonna drive the hell out of it until next winter gets here when I can do the work I wanna do like chop top (maybe) as well as suicide doors and lower it down a bunch

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:09 PM   #55
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Hey! Great, that you fixed the problem. If there is anything I can do to help you, just let me know. I'am just up the Ohio river from you at Parkersburg,WV, Belpre, OH. area. Pop
Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:12 AM   #56
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Hey! Great, that you fixed the problem. If there is anything I can do to help you, just let me know. I'am just up the Ohio river from you at Parkersburg,WV, Belpre, OH. area. Pop
Thank ya Pop, hell maybe I'll take a road trip one day and stop by and visit you.

Yesterday I wasn't able to do much to the Bug cause my wife's car needed brakes on all 4 corners, so that kept me busy most of the day.

when I did get to working on my Bug I found that after installing the P/C's that the carb linkage was to short, I screwed the ends on only about 4 turns and it still wasn't long enough, and once put on it keeps the throttle open way to much

So I cut the side that was to short in half, then stuck both ends in a section of steel brake line so I could make it a bit longer. I had bought some JB Weld so I could make some valve cover vents to go to a breather box if needed, well I looked for the JB Weld for almost an hour yesterday so I coyuld make the linkage longer, well I couldn't find the one tube, it was in the package after I used it, so it must have fell out when I was putting all my tools into the garage. I looked everywhere.'
So now I'm gonna hafta buy some quick setting JB Weld to fix the linkage and still be able to drive it later this evening.

Looking back I wish I would have used this set of P/C's the 1st time, I had to move a bunch of boxes in order to find another 85.5 piston ring, b ut that was all it took, now it runs much better

Today I'm gonna get the throttle linkage together so it is long enough to work, I'm gonna sync the carbs early this morning so maybe I can drive it tonight and it cost me 0 except the JB Weld I bought.

When I first started it up and it was idling real high I took the hose that comes out next to the oil fill cap to see if it had any blow by, I put my finger over the end of that hose and felt no pressure, so I think all is well

Tomorrow I'll be all over to make sure nothing else is gonna go wrong, but I have faith in it just as I have with every VW Bug I have had

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:16 PM   #57
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So now that I have my engine running good and almost have my carbs synchronized it's time to start bracing my beam extension.

I started by welding some 1 inch square tube across the firewall, then I used a piece of channel and drilled holes in it and bolted it to the top of the beam where the original front body mount was, welded 2 sections of 1 inch square tube between the one on the firewall and the channel I have bolted to the top of the beam.
I now need to weld a few pieces in to triangulate it, then I'm gonna make some brackets that bolt onto the brace and to the rear of the frame head then drill out the original threads and run some thru bolts and nuts and do away with the original beam bolts that are holding the extender to the frame head now.

Once I get that finished I now have the front sheet metal I need to fill in what has been removed before I got the car.

Here are a few pics of the sheet metal I got for the front and the start of the beam bracing, I need to fab a few brackets and cut a few pieces of square tubing as well as some other bracing metal.
I'm trying to use the original body mount on the beam and keep it so the body can be removed without cutting anything off, just unbolt a few brackets from the brace and lift it off, I'll most likely hafta redo it all when I raise the tranny and the front beam. I want to keep the suspension stock with some beam adjusters to tweak it where I want it.

start of beam brace

Sheet metal I needed to fix what was missing, Thanks Tim

Slowly coming together

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #58
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I welded in the sheet metal that goes around the hood, moved the license plate down, it's starting to look more like a complete car again.
I have also started the beam brace, I made the front body mounts which are on top of the beam that way the body can still be removed, I will also use that bracing to help keep the sheet metal good and strong. I have my work cut out for me

I also cut out some cardboard patterns so I can fill in the wheel wells up front with sheet metal to give a clean look, I will need to make 2 small indentations so the tires don't rub, I hope to make a setup so I can do both pieces and get them bent the exact same amount and location, but I gotta get some sheet metal first.
I may still have 1 more S10 hood left that I can use, I'll find it some time this weeks

oh yeah, a few pics

Well that's it for now, gonna hafta rest up a few days before I go doing any more but I'm sure as hell gonna be it

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #59
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well I'm gonna put my V-Rod in a show coming up on Sunday July 24th, it's I think the 22nd annual show coming up

Every year there are always a few VW's, most of them are stock restored, but nothing like what you see here on this web-site, here's a few pictures from 2009, I can't find the ones from last year

I hope to have my front fenders mounted by then, but if I don't I'm still gonna put in the show because I haven't seen any V-Rodded VW's around here. I have heard a few people that stop me say they know a guy building one, but I think one of them was talking about mine before I got it

Now about my front fenders, does anyone have any good pictures showing how you mounted them to the steering knuckle/spindle so they aren't flapping around waving with every bump I hit in the road
I have a few ideas to mount them, I may just put them on and see how stiff they are, then go from there until they are on good and sturdy

I believe these fenders are for trailers, they are square on both ends so I'm gonna round the ends up a bit so they look better. I'm gonna try to mount them maybe about an inch above the tire itself so if anyone has any helpful ideas I'd appreciate it

here's a couple pics with the fenders just sitting on the tires

Other than the fenders I hope to get my oil filter mounted, my block tapped and the oil pump modified, then I have a set of low back seats I hope to get mounted in the car before the show, just hafta see if I can squeeze all that work in the next 3 weeks

So if you have any helpful ideas about mounting the fenders please send them my way

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 13th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #60
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Made my fender brackets over the weekend, mounted them on and turned the wheels side to side and made sure nothing was touching, did a small amount of grinding a bit off to clear the left tie-rod

Yesterday I went for a ride and had no troubles with them, now to mount the fenders to the brackets

I think I'm just gonna weld the same angle iron pieces onto the fenders then drill and tap some holes and use some flat head screws to screw them to the brackets

Then we shall see if they can withstand some of the streets around here, I should bring the camera and get a video, that way I can show how NOTnot to mount your fenders : funny:

sorry I almost choked from laughter, the 1 time I decide to get a video and I'll prolly find the 1 sink hole that's gonna do in my D/D

I'll post a few pictures at the end

The fender brackets which still need top be cleaned up to look good, maybe I'll put some light'nin holes in em
the fenders are just resting about a half inch above the tire on some pieces of wood

Still not sure how far forward or back to mount them, guess I'll go sit back and see what looks the best, then put them on and see what happens

Fenders are resting with brackets in place

They need a bit of adjustment, but I think it's gonna work

It's getting there

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #61
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So this morning I spent most of my time doing things around the house, then I went out to make some fender mounts, drill some holes, and tap them

I only got the left side finished and mounted on the car, it looks purty good altho I'm still up in the air on whether I wanna round the front edge of the fenders because they are completely square except they have a radius on each corner, I'll just hafta leave them go for now
If it starts to annoy me I'll just round them up a little bit at a time until I get them to my likening

OK here's pictures after I mounted the tabs on the left fender, drilled and tapped all the holes, then painted it Black

Here both fenders are sitting where I want them, the drivers side has 1/2 inch space between the fender and the tire

Here is the left fender with brackets welded to them, then I will bolt them to the brackets that bolt onto the steering knuckle

With a bit of paint on them

I plan to mount the right side fender tomorrow, I will also need to make a bracket support to bolt on at the front top and run it down to the bottom rear mount

I tried to get a video of the fender while I was driving so I could see how much it bounces around, it didn't work out very well because it made shifting tought to do, and I had a tough time holing the camera on the same place, so maybe I'll bring it with me when I pick up my son and hand him the camera, I do know they bounce around a lot up near the top, so I'm gonna make a bracket to try to keep it from bouncing around like it/they did

Next I'm gonna hafta make a set of two emblems to mount at the front and center of each fender, still thinking about that

MMMMMMyyyaaaaaa, What's up Doc ?

That's all for today, now it's bed time, feel free to comment good or bad

I hope by next spring to have the pan dropped or the front and rear suspension raised 4 to 5 inches, so the body sits about 4 inches off the ground, much more than that and it's gonna make sparks where evr I will go

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 13th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #62
Double D
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I like the fenders and rounding the corners would look good!

If it has tits or wheels you're gonna have problems....
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #63
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Drove it about a mile last nite to get some screws to mount the other side, it was bouncing around a bit on the outer edge, I made sure I took all the bumpy streets to the hardware store, nothing happened, the tire didn't hit the fender

This morning I had to go give monthly labs, it's a 4 mile trip to and from, so I'm headed home and all of a sudden, BAMM I hit a BIG pothole and the back of the fender hit the tire then went straight up and over the tire then pushed it over to the headlight

I got out and wiggled it back n forth till it broke off and threw it in the back then drove home

Gonna go make a few braces and gussets to make it a bit stiffer
Gotta do something different

And I know exactly where to test it out next time

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #64
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Check out Wazabug's front fender mounts. Pretty beefy.

I'd only radious the outside edge of the fenders.
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #65
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

That's one Hell of a car but I never did see the fender mounts until a few seconds ago
And like everything on that car, they look nice, they look a bit shorter and narrower than mine.

I may cut mine down, maybe make 2 fenders from 1 then narrow them an inch or so maybe try to put a small crease in the center of them

I'm defently gonna mount them a half inch higher off the tire, I think that was my biggest mistake, that and not just doing whatever need be the day I put it on

That's what my plan was when I got home from the Vampire's office, just didn't make it before disaster struck

Kinda like being ThunderStruck, but that's an entirely different story. Great song tho

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old August 7th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #66
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well I put a set of lowering spindles up front dropping it into the weeds, it's about as low as it was when I first got the car an d it had the beam cut and turned way to far, almost no suspension travel, I put a stock beam back on which raised it back up except for the 2-1/2 inches the beam extender gave it, now it's another 2-1/2 inches lower and almost drags up front, my license plate drags all the speed bumps so it's low

Now I think I'll just Chop the Top to make it look the way I want it, I may still lower the rear end down a few notches of the spring plates, but I like the raked look it has now

Here are a few pictures using a Mt Dew can to show how low it sits

1st is when I got it, 2nd is after I put a stock beam on, and 3rd is with the lowered spindles

Now it's time to start working on a few custom parts for the car until winter comes and I hope to do the Top Chop

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #67
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Here's a couple pictures I took yesterday of the side view, I think I'm gonna drop the rear down a few notches

Now I need to chop the top, or maybe just suicide doors until I can get another roof and door tops

I may be able to get a partial roof and maybe even the door tops, that is unless it hasn't rusted completely out by now
There was a 66 bug back behind my parents house where I grew up, it is now part of a County park, somebody left it there when the houses still had people in them
There were a bunch of old cars left behind, the VW was a 66
I took a bunch of parts from it 29 years ago, Last time I was there was back in 94 when I bought my 66, I took the window regulators to fix mine
I can't remember what all was left, but it has bullet holes and me and my friends flipped it over a big hill when I was about 12 years old, I should have carried it home back then, now trees are all grown up around, thru it making no way top get it out

I might just hafta go see if anything is left of it and cut it up and bring it home

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #68
Poomwah
Forum Member

awesome build.
sorry to hear about all the medical issues, but I'm VERY happy that you can still get all this stuff done. As cory as it sounds, its an inspiration.
What kind of spindles did you wind up using? or did you wind up making your own?
Poomwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #69
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Thank ya about my build

And please don't be sorry about my health issues, I'm just happy I'm alive, plus there are many people that have it much worse than I have it, that's the motivation that keeps me going and doing the things I do
And it doesn't sound corny at all, I have been writing a book about my journey thru life, mostly because as you said I have been an inspiration to a lot of people, if I finish my book and it can help 1 person I will be happy, if it inspires others who have health issues to do things they once thought impossible I will be even happier

As for the spindles I bought a set of lowered spindles from platrod68, they are CB brand spindles and are cast spindles, I'm a bit leary about cast iron spindles, but after looking them over good I don't think they will give me any problems as long as I drive it easy

I still have a bunch of sets of B/J spindles and still plan to make a set of lowered spindles because you can only lower them about 2-1/2 inches, any more and the lower ball joint will hit the wheel, most of the paised and lowered spindles I have seen that were made use a 1/4 inch thick plate to weld the spindle itself to then the ball joint mounts to the back side making the wheels and all 1/2 wider (1/4 inch per side)

If I make mine I plan to use at least 3/4 inch per side, by doing this I hope to be able to lower them 3 inches to 3-1/2 inches and not run into any interference with the lower ball joint, it will hafta wait until I get a set ready to be assembled, then I will see how much wider I will need to make them so that it doesn't interfere with the lower ball joint and the wheel

I like making anything I can, I have much more time than I have money, and the 20+ years I have spent as a machinist also give me the ability to know how to make just about anything, so if I don't have the $ I just try to make it myself, if I fail I then try another method or I start saving my pennies until i have enough and then I buy whatever it is

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #70
Double D
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
Here's a couple pictures I took yesterday of the side view, I think I'm gonna drop the rear down a few notches

Now I need to chop the top, or maybe just suicide doors until I can get another roof and door tops

I may be able to get a partial roof and maybe even the door tops, that is unless it hasn't rusted completely out by now
There was a 66 bug back behind my parents house where I grew up, it is now part of a County park, somebody left it there when the houses still had people in them
There were a bunch of old cars left behind, the VW was a 66
I took a bunch of parts from it 29 years ago, Last time I was there was back in 94 when I bought my 66, I took the window regulators to fix mine
I can't remember what all was left, but it has bullet holes and me and my friends flipped it over a big hill when I was about 12 years old, I should have carried it home back then, now trees are all grown up around, thru it making no way top get it out

I might just hafta go see if anything is left of it and cut it up and bring it home

Ron

I like it!

If it has tits or wheels you're gonna have problems....
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #71
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Thank ya,

Today I hope to get another master cylinder put on it so I don't hafta stand on the brake pedal, I have disc brakes up front and I read that you need a larger bore cylinder because the calipers have larger pistons than wheel cylinders

So, I took the M/C that I had on my Rail Buggy and after rigging up a reservoir for it I hope to get it on so my leg can rest when pushing the brake pedal

Here is a picture of my fantastic rigging skills

It just so happened the hole that went thru the fitting that screws into the M/C and holds the plastic reservoir had a 7/16 inch hole in it (tap drill for a 1/4 NTP pipe thread), so I tapped it and used what I had on hand to make a reservoir until I can get to the VW parts place and buy a new plastic reservoir

I could even make my own out of aluminum, I'm purty sure I have a couple pieces large enough to turn a reservoir and a lid, gotta have a cap to match, then I'll just tap a 1/4 NTP (or is it NPT been so long I can't remember)

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #72
Poomwah
Forum Member

definitely have a steampunk kinda look to that resevoir
Poomwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #73
trikertroy
Forum Member

If you want less effort on your brake pedal, a SMALLER bore master cylinder witll do the trick..On our trikes we use a 5/8" bore. cylinder.

You will have a longer stroke and less effort.
trikertroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #74
RickIntihar
Forum Member

I don't know how the hell I missed this thread. Car looks awesome, Ron. I love the front fenders. Next time i'm down in Cincy I wanna swing by and help you wrench.
'72 VW Super Beetle
'09 Honda Metro
RickIntihar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #75
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikertroy View Post
If you want less effort on your brake pedal, a SMALLER bore master cylinder witll do the trick..On our trikes we use a 5/8" bore. cylinder.

You will have a longer stroke and less effort.
Everything I read about brakes is opposite of what you said, and if running disc brakes up front on a VW with the standard 5/8 to 3/4 inch bore master cylinder the pedal will require more force to stop the car
The disc brake caliper piston & bore are much bigger than the standard wheel cylinders which means you need a larger bore M/C in order to not have to push the brake pedal so hard
Well when I had the disc brakes on my dune buggy I was using a 7/8 inch bore M/C and stopping was not a problem, and I didn't ned to push hard at all to stop

Right now I have a 3/4 inch bore M/C and it is so hard on my leg to stop, so I'm gonna put the larger bore M/C (7/8 bore) on tomorrow or maybe today if I feel better, then it should work just fine

I'll scan the page in the book I have that mentions about brakes and bore sizes and disc brakes and how to make them easier on your leg by using a large bore M/C

It's in the book "Baja Bugs and Buggies" written by Jeff Hibbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickIntihar View Post
I don't know how the hell I missed this thread. Car looks awesome, Ron. I love the front fenders. Next time i'm down in Cincy I wanna swing by and help you wrench.
Cool, just let me know a few days ahead when your gonna be in Cinci and I'll give you directions to my place, I'm only about 10 minutes or 7 miles west of I -75

I hope to get the fenders mounted better and on the car soon, my 1st fender mount didn't work out that well, but I have a few other ideas that should work, plus I have been looking at cars that have fenders like these and how they mount them, the one car I haven't seen is the Plymouth Prowler, or is it a Dodge, all the same to me

Stop by any time as long as I'm home, and thanks

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS