Newest Member: b2oj48cd

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old September 26th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #176
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Default Re: I aquired another VW

'Slow work' beats 'no work' all to heck. You have a really slick project going on.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #177
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
'Slow work' beats 'no work' all to heck. You have a really slick project going on.
Yes, I'm definitely slow, slow work sure beats no work, my biggest problem t the moment is $$ & my tools, now I can deal with the no $$ issue, I haven't had money since I had to quit work 12 years & 359 days ago (Oct 3rd 2000 was my last day of work) but the tool issue is getting out of hand

After this weekend (the Cincinnati VW & Porsche Show is Sunday the 29th) I'm gonna clean & organize my garage, once I get most of the un-needed stuff out, I hope to drop the engine into my 92 Eldorado, then I can push it out & finish cleaning & organizing everything & possibly find all my missing tools

Today I got both my beam adjusters welded in, put the springs in, added a quick coat of paint, while I was waiting for the paint to dry I was gonna get the V-Rod up on stands & gather all the tools needed to switch beams, the first thing I look for is my tie rod end separator, it's gone so I looked for the fork, it's gone
After an hour of looking I learn that I need to drive my car tomorrow, if I had found the tie rod tool or the fork I'd be out there right now

No pictures & I like to take lots a pictures, dadgum rechargeable batteries won't hold a charge, hell I can't even afford to buy batteries, at least not until I get paid next Thursday

I may go outside shortly & gather all the tools needed & see if I can locate the fork

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #178
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well yesterday after welding the adjusters in another beam, it was about 5:30 pm when I started switching the beams, got everything back together by 10:30 pm except putting the wheels on & a quick alignment, I got up early this morning & was outside by 6:00 am & finished it up just in time to make it to the VW & Porsche Show
I set the adjusters as low as possible before taking it off the stands, I ended up raising it up half way, I can slowly lower it down until it's as low as can be & still drive good without dragging anything
I think I'm gonna raise the upper shock mounts to keep the coil over shocks from binding up when it's dropped as low as can be & keep the basic stock ride, at the moment it's as bit rough on the BIG bumps in the road, I just don't wanna ruin another set of shock from bottoming out

As always, a few pics (I bought batteries for my digital camera), Istill need to drop the rear down a few inches, I'm gonna try a set of spring plates to lower it, they aren't that tough to make, just some 1/4" or 5/16" plate steel, once I get that finished & put on the taller tires the rear shouldn't look so bad, at the moment I think it looks kinda funny with all that rear fender well showing, taller tires will help, but it needs to come down soon, I just don't like the way it looks, but I have until next Spring to deal with that, I also hope to get my top chopped as well by Spring 2014

A picture of the beam with adjusters installed, but that's the only pic I have except the one I took at the show this afternoon & it just doesn't show how much lower it is, tomorrow I'll get a few pics of it sitting in the street with it as low as it can go & set where it's at now

I hope to start on a set of lowering spring plates soon so I can get the rear end down as well, but, only time will tell, seems I may have a few machining jobs making parts for a few from here, if it all works out as planned I'll have the $$ to buy the parts I can't make myself, like a counter weight stroker crankshaft

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 5th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #179
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I hope by the end of the week to have a set of drop plates finished so I can drop that ass end of my V-Rod, it sits up so high I can't see anything behind me unless it's a BIG truck

I plan to lower it 3-1/2"
This after noon, I cut two pieces of material big enough to make both drop plates for my IRS rear end, these will be the first job I do on my just wired up & ready to make chips Bridgeport/Burke milling machine

I'll get some pictures before, during, and after finished, as well as when they are installed on the car

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #180
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Ron, listen to the song I put in the song thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #181
jkien65
Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz9_jommFAQ

Here ya go! I had to go listen too.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #182
jkien65
Forum Member

The drop plates I installed on my swing axle, allowed me to lower it quite a bit, while still allowing the stock ride feel. I like it way better than the way it was before. I was bottoming out and making all kinds of noise.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #183
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Thanks Jim! I probably should have done that - but I was being lazy!

Quote:
Don't be Fucking stupid.

Old November 14th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #184
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
Ron, listen to the song I put in the song thread.
Good song, I like it gonna hafta make that one of my theme song, my body is always telling me no, I keep pushing cause I want more, so I won't stop, ya never slow down, ya never grow old

My grandma didn't slow down until she broke her hip when she was 97-1/2 years old, since then, she's grown old, she can't get outside to do her gardening anymore, she's just about confined to the inside of her house, she'll be 100-1/2 December 4th, she said once you pass 95 that half years count

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkien65 View Post
The drop plates I installed on my swing axle, allowed me to lower it quite a bit, while still allowing the stock ride feel. I like it way better than the way it was before. I was bottoming out and making all kinds of noise.
I started to make the drop plates, but it's not as easy as if it was a swing axle, the IRS trailing arm pivots at an arch, so when you raise it you hafta make the holes at an arch, I did make a card board template, now I just hafta transfer the holes to the plates I cut, it will only lower it about 3 inches, I'll fix that when I get around to finishing my custom floor pan, then I can do away with the plates & build the drop into the pan, I just need to find the time to do it

Let me talk about time, I have all day everyday to spend doing what I want, my wife works, so I do as much of the house work as I can, then once every 3 months I hafta go visit my 2 doctors, that was this week, seen my primary doc on Tuesday, then Wednesday I had to see my Kidney doc, things got ugly since August when I was there last

I hafta have blood testing every other Tuesday, if my Hemoglobin isn't high enough, then I get a shot the following Thursday or Friday, well not only do I need my shot tomorrow, I hafta give blood again Monday morning, my numbers were high, Creatine tells how well the kidney is doing, my normal is 1.6 to 1.8, Tuesday it was 2.4, it can be something simple, like adjusting one of my anti rejection meds, or it cam be from dehydration, I drink close to 2 gallons of fluids everyday, I piss about every 90 minutes, I don't think I can push anymore fluids or I'll never get any sleep cause I'll be up all night pissin
The worst part of all was my fasting blood sugar, 234, I'm hoping it was just the Jolly Rancher piece of candy I sucked on while driving to the Vampire's Office, I had a brain fart & didn't even think about it
So now I'll be walking on egg shells until Monday evening when I get my lab results back, it just sucks when once a year something like this happens, I've been fighting the good fight for 13 years now & I'm not even thinking of throwing in the towel yet, hell I don't even have a towel yet, that's not for another 30 years

Sorry for the Ranting, but I just had to type it out somewhere, I haven't been on the computer in a few days, been busy trying to keep my mind on something else

So what happens, I decide to mess around with my V-Rod today, it was leaking a bit of oil from one of the valve covers, so I finally put a different valve cover on, & it fixed the leak, then I decide I'm gonna fix my front end, the steering wheel wasn't centered when driving but the wheel was straight with the steering box, I get out a few tools & adjust the right side tie rod so it's pointing in the right direction while the wheel is straight, then I go to do the left one, I put just a wrench on it & proceed to turn it the same amount as the other side, then it pops, the flipping tie rod end musta been seized up, it twisted right off & broke, this was a tie rod end I had just replaced (along with the rest of the tie rod ends & ball joints) this past spring I believe, so much for now days cheap ass parts, hell the right side I had to use a 4 foot pipe on the wrench in order top get it loose, needless to say I had another left side tie rod that I put on just before dark, in the morning I need to align it, tighten every thing up & be at the Hospital by 10:30 am to get my shot

Prolly should have put that last part in the "Today F*cking Sucks" thread, but I try not to add to that thread, hell if I wake up in the morning & it hurts like hell to get up & out of bed, it's the start of a FANTASTIC DAY

I just have the worst luck when working on my own cars, back before I quit working on other's cars, nothing went wrong, no broken bolts, no super tight & rusted bolts, maybe I should give up working on my cars & only work on others, I just haven't found anyone I can trust to fix my cars & do it right

Sorry for such a long winded post, I think I'm caught for the next few weeks, I'll just post pics if I get anything constructive done
Until then, C'ya's all later

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 15th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #185
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Quit screwing around Ron and get back to work!
Jeff
P.S. JK, hope you feel better!
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #186
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Hope your day went well Ron! Glad you like the tunes. Now I have to get back to work myself (that is a good idea for you to Jeff!)

Quote:
Don't be Fucking stupid.

Old November 15th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #187
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Telling Jeff to "get back to work," makes it sound like he actually was working in the first place....
Old November 15th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #188
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Oh shut up Kim. It's below freezing over here lately and I have a lot more to do at the moment.
Jeff
Old November 16th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #189
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Thanks y'all
Ya know, when I have a bad day & I hafta go somewhere, other than a slight limp, I try not to let others see how much pain I'm in, my wife & 2 sons are bout the only ones who get to truly see how bad I hurt, when people ask how I'm doing, my answer is "I'm doing Great" or "I'm not doing half bad", but that also means I'm not doing half good

Now back to my V-Rod's ass end, it sits up way higher than I like, I turned the torsion bars back to the stock position this past summer because it just didn't ride worth a shit, then last week I made some drop plates, I tried to bolt them on & they just wouldn't work, I just drilled the holes to bolt them onto the IRS spring plates, then went up 3-1/2 inches & drilled the holes for the trailing arms, the reason I went 3-1/2" is because that's the width of the spring plate, I didn't give any thought to how the tailing arms move up & down at an arch
So while I had the spring plate & trailing arm unbolted I raised it up until the bottom hole on the arm lined up with the top hole on the spring plate, then took some cardboard & made a template so I could drill the rest of the holes so they lined up, now I just need to transfer the hole locations & drill them & hopefully everything bolts together & it should drop the ass end between 3 & 3-1/2 inches
Below are a few pics of the drop plates I made, along with the cardboard template I made, I used an extra trailing arm & spring plate I had for the pics, I'll just let the pics do the talking

This is the plates I made first before giving any thought to the arch that the trailing arms travel at

Here is the way they haft go together so everything will bolt together & drop it down around 3 inches, notice the angle of the trailing arm

The 1st plate along with the cardboard template

Template on top of the 1st plate so I would know if any of the holes would break into the 1st ones I drilled, looks like I can just drill 2 holes, then cut away the rest of the plate

I hope to have them drilled & on the car Monday, it mostly depends on the weather, supposed to be a shitty weekend (but that can change), so I may not get out to the shop until Monday afternoon, Monday morning I gotta visit the Vampires to see if the slight med dosage change brings down my "Creatinine" level to where it should be

If anybody is interested in knowing anything about checking kidney function & how Creatinine level shows how well the kidney function is, here is a link - http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003611.htm
The link tells how they find out how well the kidney function is, once the "Creatinine Clearance" test is done, all I need is a blood test to give the Creatinine level in my blood

Maybe my next post to this thread is of my V-Rod with it's ass end sitting 3+ inches lower than it is now

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 16th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #190
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Telling Jeff to "get back to work," makes it sound like he actually was working in the first place....
Touche! Point - Kim.

I see progress Ron. And if you are working - there is no reason Jeff can't be. From where I sit, you guys are from the same place... the midwest - which I just call back east... it is all the same. Humid with mosquitos and snow.

Quote:
Don't be Fucking stupid.

Old November 16th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #191
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Actually guys, in all seriousness, I have a lot on my plate right now and am pretty swamped with work and a pile of stuff I need to get done around here. I did get a few components that I need to machine in the basement but it's going to be a little thin over the next few months.
Jeff
Old November 16th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #192
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
I see progress Ron. And if you are working - there is no reason Jeff can't be. From where I sit, you guys are from the same place... the midwest - which I just call back east... it is all the same. Humid with mosquitos and snow.
I absolutely dislike anytime the mercury drops below 55 degrees F
I would say "hate" but I stopped hating things about 12 years ago, it's to easy to hate something, plus it's a terrible 4 letter word, much worse than the other terrible 4 letter word "snow", I have tried to remove those 2 words from my vocabulary, I mean what the f_ck

As far as working goes, I have no heat in my shop at all, well, I should say I don't heat my shop, I have a very large old cast iron coal stove, it weighs well over 400 lbs completely assembled, I tried using wood, but I worked harder & spent more time putting wood in the stove, I tried to get coal, but they stopped selling it by the pick up truck load, now you can only have it delivered by the ton which isn't to bad, but the delivery charge is way more than I'll pay, it cheaper to wear layers
Plus I hafta leave my overhead door open or I can't see

This is the time of year when I should be doing my foundry & forge work, I still haven't gotten that part of my shop cleaned up all the way, but I hope to have it ready to melt some aluminum by next weekend

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #193
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Dropped the ass end down by almost 4 inches this afternoon, yesterday I drilled the necessary holes & cut off the excess material, then today I put the drop plates on, it looks so much better than it did, especially since I put the taller rear tires on

It had 235/60/15" which are about 25" tall, that's about the same height as a stock VW tire, I put the 235/75/15" tires back on, they are 28" tall, those along with the drop plates make it look so much better, I can even see cars behind me thru my inside rear view mirror, much better than only seeing sky
A few pics below

Here are the plates once finished

Here it is bolted on

I hope it's easy enough to see the difference, but this pic below is before the drop plates were put on & it has the 25" tall tires, look at the space between the top of the rear tires & the fender well in the next few pics

Here it is with the drop plates on as well as the 28" tall rear tires

These last two pics are of the rear axle center line with a tape next to it so you can see the difference

About 14-5/8" to center line of axle

With the drop plates on, it's about 18-5/8" which is 4 inches difference

That's how I made my IRS drop plates, next is to flip an extra set of trailing arms to get rid of the camber, as well as raising the upper rear shock mounts so the shocks aren't so squeezed together, I also plan to raise the front upper shock mounts so I can use stock shocks all the way around, I'll also hafta make some clearance by grinding off the stops in the back, then make some new stops & use some old skate board wheels so it's not metal hitting metal, I should have the stock suspension travel back once the upper shock mounts are raised

Now on the subject of my health after my slight RANT last week, after a few days taking my meds after my doc changed them last Wednesday, I gave the Vampires Office blood yesterday, my doc called me today to tell me that all my numbers changed & are back where they are supposed to be, that is such good news
My doc had me kinda worried there for a few days
It is amazing how the one anti rejection med I take (aka immune-suppressants) can change a test result, I was taking four 1 mg pills twice daily, he changed it to three 1 mg pills twice daily, give it about 8 months & my lab numbers will change again, most likely drop down, then he will hafta increase my dose back to four pills twice daily, followed by a blood test after 4 days to see if everything is ok
If the Vampires Office would give out some kind of reward plan for frequent patients (like frequent flyer miles) I would have a ton of whatever it would be, then again, with my luck, it would probably be something like 2 free enemas, or 1 colonoscopy after "X" amount of visits within a 3 month period of time

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #194
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

BTW, if anybody would like a set of IRS drop plates, let me know, $50 plus cost of material will get you a set

Size of material is 6" by 4-1/2" by 3/16"
I used 1/8" thick material because that's all I had on hand, 1/8" thick material should be plenty strong enough
I'll find out soon enough

In the pic below I put 2 arrows on it to show the 2 bolts that go thru the spring plate, trailing arm, & the drop plate. then I put a white dot where you can drill a 3rd hole so 3 bolts go thru all 3 pieces
The bottom 2 bolts only go thru the spring plate & the drop plate, the very top bolt go thru the drop plate & the trailing arm

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #195
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Ron, you'd look forward to the enemas!
Good to hear your numbers have leveled out!
Jeff
Old November 20th, 2013, 05:52 AM   #196
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
Ron, you'd look forward to the enemas!
Good to hear your numbers have leveled out!
Jeff
No thanks on the enemas, I have enough problems in my G.I. an enema might just break something important

Yeah I was waiting for that phone call all day, most times they call my cell phone, yesterday they called the house & left a message, lucky for me I looked to see if there were any new messages when I came in the house at 6 pm

I rarely look or listen to the messages, hell I don't even answer the dadgum home phone, the only calls we get on that phone are bill collectors looking for my son

I'd have waited until Friday afternoon for that call before I called their office

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 20th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #197
Wraithblade
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Looking good Ron!!!!
Wraithblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #198
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Nice job. The plates are nicely done and IMHO the stance looks great. The larger diameter tires fill the wells better and add to the agressive look.
Old November 21st, 2013, 06:11 AM   #199
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithblade View Post
Looking good Ron!!!!
Thank ya

Quote:
Nice job. The plates are nicely done and IMHO the stance looks great. The larger diameter tires fill the wells better and add to the agressive look.
I like the taller tires as well, plus they are easier to put on the wheels

I'm gonna most likely hafta put the 235/60's back on, the one tire has a terrible leak around the bead, I tried some sealer, but it just leaks slower, still flat every morning, now that my compressor is broken, I need tires that hold air

I'll rant about my compressor now, it's one of the newer Craftsman compressor, 20 gallon tank, the pump & electric motor are combined in one small die-cast aluminum piece surrounded by a plastic shroud, it started when the belt broke, I replaced the belt with a belt from a little pancake compressor that had the exact pump & motor, a neighbor gave it to me because it wouldn't fill the tank, it would just run & run & run, he tried to fix it, the copper tubing that goes from the head of the pump to the tank was leaking, he tried JB Weld & a few other thinks, but said it just wouldn't stop the leak, it has an O-ring that has little ear like things on it that seal the copper tube where the pump's head is bolted on
I had to take that copper tube off in order to get the pump off the tank to replace the belt
The first time I tried using the original O-ring, but it leaked & would only fill the tank up to around 25 psi, so I ordered a new O-ring for $3.99 & had it shipped to my house, it cost $12.15 after shipping for an O-ring that isn't but 5/16" in diameter
So I put the new O-ring on, turned on the compressor & waited, it worked fine, filled the tank up to 160 psi like it did before the belt broke, the 4th day while filling my tire up, I noticed the compressor wouldn't fill my tire up past 25 psi, I took a look & it was leaking again at the O-ring, fucking new "cheap" ass junk they build now days

So now I'm looking for an older compressor that has a separate electric motor & pump
I'll be damned if I'm gonna go spend $200 + for a new piece of shit compressor like I have now, only to go thru the same Bull-Shit after a few years, I believe I bought the compressor 10 years ago

Now to see what I can find used for under $50, that's about all I can afford at the moment, & I can't even afford that right now, guess I'll buy a lottery ticket & hope I win enough to buy a "GOOD" compressor, Hell I thought I was buying a "Good" compressor when I bought the one I have, well, I guess I do have a "good tank" just nothing to fill the dadgum thing up with

OK I'm finished Bitching about my compressor, now I'll hafta "Bitch" about paying somebody $12 for each tire I want changed
If I could afford to buy "new" tires I would, mounting & balancing is free, but I won't let them balance my tires since I tried the beads inside the tire, it works great & you don't have weights all over your rims

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 21st, 2013, 04:20 PM   #200
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

I used to change tires with a bumper jack to break the bead, then a pair of old leaf springs to pry the tires off. This method involves lots of soapy water, and a large hammer.