Total Online: 536

Newest Member: jessup

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old March 28th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #1
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Default Musical Instruments, What Do You Have ?
Re:: Share your tastes and knowledge.   

I know there are a lot of people here who play and even build instruments. I've even had the pleasure of hearing a few of you play.

I'm starting this thread so we can learn more of what you have and also help people out if they have any questions about something they may be thinking of buying.

So post them up!!
Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #2
thenewbie
Forum Member

Default Re: Musical Instruments, What Do You Have ?

God, I've had a few good ones over the years, and I did actually build a guitar once, though I didn't do the neck and it didn't sounds that great, haha.

Dean M(first serious guitar, the same model Dimebag played.)
Fender Tom Delonge strat (great guitar until I cracked the body after a guitar sling gone bad.)
Epiphone Elite Les Paul
Fender standard telecaster

But I've had more amps than guitars;
Marshal AVT-150
Line 6 duotone
Fender supersonic (WHY the hell did I sell that thing?!)
Marshall JCM800 2x12 combo
Krank Chadwick (very interesting amp, needed a lot of tweaking but sounded very cool.)
Marshall JCM900 head
Mesa-boogie triple rectifier

cabs-
custom 4x12 with 2 vintage 30's and 2 G12T-75's
custom 6x12 with 4 vintage 30's and 2 G12T-75's

At one point I wanted to start making custom cabs, but no one could stomach the $800+ price tag. The 6x12's I made for myself and the other guitarist in my last band were insane. They had no internal bracing so the back panel acted like a huge subwoofer. At one point I was playing the Triple rectifier into a 6x12 and our other guitarist was playing an ENGL powerball into another 6x12 with all vintage 30's.
thenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #3
PureC4
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I played keyboard in my younger days. Hammond A s/n 210, it was the beginning for Hammond organ & clock company. Sold it a few years back to a collector stove pipe leslie speaker and all. Moved on to the Concord series as I played solo gigs, no splitted the money, played what I wanted, no problems.
Also a Banjo/Mandolin my grandfather gave me. I would think it's close to 100 years old. Made by Orpheum, I've never learned to play.Attachment 28507 Looks just like this one, only in better shape.
My Bro-in-law imports, plays and sells these. Hve to post up a pic of the red bull girls playing one!! woo woo
Attachment 28514

We lust for what we want, and weep for what we need!

Last edited by PureC4; April 18th, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
PureC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Palepainter
Forum Member

I build and play guitar. I also do a lot of work for Jackson, Charvel and BC Rich. I paint for the custom shops. I have been playing for about 34 years now. I have been building since highschool. You can see my guitar stuff HERE

Recently I have found the magic of playing the cello with my daughter. I revived a Juzek cello from the 1930's. I am presently writing music with a buddy of mine and set to record in April sometime.

I left the band I was in last April in order to take a break from the Denver rock scene. Plus it gave me some great family and project time that never would have happened playing in a band.
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

I've built a "circuit bent" keyboard.
Will post pics.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #6
UVT_Mike
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have a few toys that I have accumulated over the years.

73 Fender P-Bass
86 Warwick Fortress
86 Warwick Streamer
93 Fender P-Bass Lyte
Late 80's Hohner B-Bass
07 Music Man Stingray HH
Spector 5 String Signature Model

3 of my 4-strings have hip shots, I do a lot of stuff out of drop D.

I bought the 73 P in the 80's when I was 18 for $250 from a guy who bought it new in Miami while on tour playing country and bluegrass. Little did I know what a great deal I was getting . That bass is like part of the family now. I just had it re-fretted and have decided to only use it at home or in the studio. It stays under the bed most of time, it's just to valuable of an instrument to take out to shows.

As far as live rig, I use a 1-15 and 2-10 Mesa cabinets powered by an Ampeg SVT Pro4. I use the MM and Spector live and the Hohner as a back up. For practice at home I use a little Fender 25 Watt Bass amp.

Plans are to replace the Spector in the near future if I can find a 5 string Music Man to match my 4 string. Been thinking about thinning the heard lately, soon time to let go of the Streamer and the P-Lyte and let someone else enjoy them.
1-800-233-3827
http://www.universaltire.com
UVT_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

I've got a Daisy Rock Crimson Starburst Elite bass and a cheap ass starter electric guitar.

For amps I have a mid 70's Silver face Fender Twin Reverb and a couple practice amps.

I have my eye on an ESP LTD Viper 301. Anybody know anything about these? A buddy told me it's an awesome guitar but I'd like to get some other opinions.
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #8
V8SuperBeetle
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I've been playing guitar for about 16 years now. Where has the time gone. I currently play in a couple cover bands, one newly formed a week ago.

My current setup consists of a "Royal Saffire" RG Ibanez I've had since I was 16. I'm days away from 30. Mods, a Bill Lawrence L500XL pickup in the bridge position. A very hot pickup. The L500XL was a favorite of Dimebag.

Attached is a picture of me playing the Ibanez at a local sports bar. It was taken back in 07, I believe. You can see on my guitar rack a couple of guitars I used to own. A Les Paul and a different Strat. I sold them to help pay for my wifes engagement ring back in '08.

My main guitar, and the only guitar, I bring to gigs now is my Fender Lonestar Stratocaster. I just absolutely love it. It has Texas Special pickups in the neck and bridge position and a Seamor Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker in the bridge position. It's a very versitile guitar.

Here it is with my "From Scratch built" '57 5E3 Fender Tweed Deluxe clone, or as I call it, my Carbon Twill Deluxe..

My amp, just as mention above. This is by far the best sounding amp I've owned. I'm not saying that cause I built it, but cause of the quality parts that went into it. Only 18 watts (don't let that number fool you, wide open this thing will make you deaf) of all tube power. It has a GZ34 rectifier tube, two 6L6GC power tubes and two 12AY7 preamp tubes. They're normally designed to used a 12AX7 in the V2 position, but I found the breakup to sound cleaner with the two AY7's. Basically you can run the amp wide open to get a nice creamy natural distortion. This is the reason why tube amps are still widely used in music, for their natural / organic distortion and breakup.

I used to be a half-stack guy, BUT, I got tired of lugging them around and my sound guy would always tell me to turn down. A single 12" combo amp is all you really need, IMO.

You can read the whole build thread here on volksrods or here. Here are a few pictures of the amp.

I'll get into my pedal board setup soon. I don't have any current pictures of it.

I'll get up a demo video of me jamming and so you can hear the sound of my equipment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_6cfc585e32e66271e1b6dcc81e4da083.jpg (77.0 KB, 5 views)

"If it ain't one thing, it's another".

- Wilson "Billy" Chevalier
V8SuperBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #9
V8SuperBeetle
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewbie View Post
God, I've had a few good ones over the years, and I did actually build a guitar once, though I didn't do the neck and it didn't sounds that great, haha.

Dean M(first serious guitar, the same model Dimebag played.)
Fender Tom Delonge strat (great guitar until I cracked the body after a guitar sling gone bad.)
Epiphone Elite Les Paul
Fender standard telecaster

But I've had more amps than guitars;
Marshal AVT-150
Line 6 duotone
Fender supersonic (WHY the hell did I sell that thing?!)
Marshall JCM800 2x12 combo
Krank Chadwick (very interesting amp, needed a lot of tweaking but sounded very cool.)
Marshall JCM900 head
Mesa-boogie triple rectifier

cabs-
custom 4x12 with 2 vintage 30's and 2 G12T-75's
custom 6x12 with 4 vintage 30's and 2 G12T-75's

At one point I wanted to start making custom cabs, but no one could stomach the $800+ price tag. The 6x12's I made for myself and the other guitarist in my last band were insane. They had no internal bracing so the back panel acted like a huge subwoofer. At one point I was playing the Triple rectifier into a 6x12 and our other guitarist was playing an ENGL powerball into another 6x12 with all vintage 30's.

Wow, lots of nice equipment you've owned / own. Seems to me the boutique combo amp market is the one to hit. People gladly pay $700+ for a kit they put together, or $1-2K for a build combo amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureC4 View Post
I played keyboard in my younger days. Hammond A s/n 210, it was the beginning for Hammond organ & clock company. Sold it a few years back to a collector stove pipe leslie speaker and all. Moved on to the Concord series as I played solo gigs, no splitted the money, played what I wanted, no problems.
Also a Banjo/Mandolin my grandfather gave me. I would think it's close to 100 years old. Made by Orpheum, I've never learned to play.Attachment 28507 Looks just like this one, only in better shape,
Awesome! Love the banjo, although I never learned to play either. Seem to be a completely different animal than say a guitar or bass. I'd like to see a pic of the actual banjo you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palepainter View Post
I build and play guitar. I also do a lot of work for Jackson, Charvel and BC Rich. I paint for the custom shops. I have been playing for about 34 years now. I have been building since highschool. You can see my guitar stuff HERE

Recently I have found the magic of playing the cello with my daughter. I revived a Juzek cello from the 1930's. I am presently writing music with a buddy of mine and set to record in April sometime.

I left the band I was in last April in order to take a break from the Denver rock scene. Plus it gave me some great family and project time that never would have happened playing in a band.

Very cool. I plan to build a strat one of these days to my specs. Just have Warmoth build the neck and body. I would of course finish / paint it, and assemble it. I might be coming to you for advice on the finishing part. Like what paints to use, method for painting a sunburst, etc.

BTW, I can't wait for my daughter to get old enough to play an instrument with me. Must be a great feeling to jam with your daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVT_Mike View Post
I have a few toys that I have accumulated over the years.

73 Fender P-Bass
86 Warwick Fortress
86 Warwick Streamer
93 Fender P-Bass Lyte
Late 80's Hohner B-Bass
07 Music Man Stingray HH
Spector 5 String Signature Model

3 of my 4-strings have hip shots, I do a lot of stuff out of drop D.

I bought the 73 P in the 80's when I was 18 for $250 from a guy who bought it new in Miami while on tour playing country and bluegrass. Little did I know what a great deal I was getting . That bass is like part of the family now. I just had it re-fretted and have decided to only use it at home or in the studio. It stays under the bed most of time, it's just to valuable of an instrument to take out to shows.

As far as live rig, I use a 1-15 and 2-10 Mesa cabinets powered by an Ampeg SVT Pro4. I use the MM and Spector live and the Hohner as a back up. For practice at home I use a little Fender 25 Watt Bass amp.

Plans are to replace the Spector in the near future if I can find a 5 string Music Man to match my 4 string. Been thinking about thinning the heard lately, soon time to let go of the Streamer and the P-Lyte and let someone else enjoy them.
Sounds like you have quite the stash of cool gear. It also sounds like you're a seasoned musician. Do you play covers or in original bands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Punk View Post
I've got a Daisy Rock Crimson Starburst Elite bass and a cheap ass starter electric guitar.

For amps I have a mid 70's Silver face Fender Twin Reverb and a couple practice amps.

I have my eye on an ESP LTD Viper 301. Anybody know anything about these? A buddy told me it's an awesome guitar but I'd like to get some other opinions.
Cool! Gotta love the old fender amps. They sound great, and look great.

ESP is known for making great guitars. I couldn't tell you anything about that model, other than the obvious, but from experience, no single guitar is one in the same. You could have the same model / make side by side and they'll play and feel slightly different from one another. Best thing to do is go in the music store and try it out.

Old March 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #10
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Just for the record, we already have a Musicians Social Group (http://www.volksrods.com/forum/group.php?groupid=6) with much of the same info.

I've played piano (and synths, but never an organ with pedals) since 1952. This is part of my current home studio:

I played drums since 1963 but only have a snare and a floor tom (for the grandkids to pound on) at the moment (no pix).

I learned to strum guitars in 1971 and have a 1957 Stella (acoustic), a cheapo faux-Dobro, a 12-string, and enough parts to make a few more, but I didn't go electric until this one arrived:

My newest (bought last month):

I also have a variable pitch didgeridoo, but not enough wind to play it for more than a second or two.

Last edited by carcentric; March 28th, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
carcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #11
thenewbie
Forum Member

V8Super, I was actually going to get into amp building at one point. The other guitarist in my last band bankrolled the cabs I made, and was going to do the same to buy some amp building kits. We were going to build modified jcm800's. My exit from the band lead to the end of our business plans.
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #12
radiotrib
Forum Member

I'm a left-hander so it's never been too easy for me to get hold of bass guitars ... Because of that, in my youth, I used to buy them whenever I saw them and worry about the sound or quality later ... Had a few nice basses over the past 40 years but they all came and went as money changed texture from slippery to grippy and back again ...

Finally sold my last piece of history (original 1980 Musicman Stingray fretless lefty - the only pre-CBS lefty fretless in existence) a year or so ago when I realised I wasn't going to be a player any more. Sold it to a musician and refused several higher bids from collectors .. seemed to be the right thing to do ...

I still have my NRJ hand-built 5 string fretted, and I bought a cheap but very nice Korean custom 5 string fretless when I sold the Ray ...

Only use one amp nowadays .. the remains of a fairly big, active stereo stack ... It's a Trace Elliot combo from the early 80's ... Just 150 watts rms into a 15 inch ... delivers almost 300 watts RMS if I hook it up to a secondary 4x10 (we have one in the works music club ;... heh heh!!)

My Intro/Build Journal - Two Virgins and a Sawzall
----------
You can't build a car with a cheque book
radiotrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #13
UVT_Mike
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

V8 - I play a little of both original and covers in my current band.

I bought my son a pretty nice drum kit for his 11th b-day last year. This year he gets a double kick pedal. I have jammed with him a few times and he really lights up when I tell him, let's jam! He still has tempo issues but this weekend I had him practicing with a metronome app on my cell phone.

I figure the best thing you can give a kid after your love is the gift of music, it's something they can enjoy the rest of their life!
1-800-233-3827
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #14
thenewbie
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVT_Mike View Post
V8 - I play a little of both original and covers in my current band.

I bought my son a pretty nice drum kit for his 11th b-day last year. This year he gets a double kick pedal. I have jammed with him a few times and he really lights up when I tell him, let's jam! He still has tempo issues but this weekend I had him practicing with a metronome app on my cell phone.

I figure the best thing you can give a kid after your love is the gift of music, it's something they can enjoy the rest of their life!
When I first started drumming I would play along with recorded music to practice. I always had good tempo after that, but nothing can ever prepare you for playing with a metronome better than actually doing it. I've had some bad times recording drummers who didn't have experience with metronomes.
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #15
UVT_Mike
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Playing drum kit with a metronome is kinda tough, I found that out first hand this weekend. He took to it much better then I did and I noticed an improvement in his ad lib drum solos he was playing after practicing with it for about 1/2 hour.
1-800-233-3827
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #16
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

banjo ukulele

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Scott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #17
PJLOval
Forum Member

This is my Strat. It's a Mexican strat and over the years I put Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups, re-fretted it and did a few cosmetic things.

The sign of a good musician is knowing when NOT to play.
PJLOval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #18
V8SuperBeetle
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJLOval View Post
This is my Strat. It's a Mexican strat and over the years I put Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups, re-fretted it and did a few cosmetic things.

Looks nice, Paul. Who did the refret job? My Ibanez needs one badly and a proper setup. What fret wire did you go with?

I hear GraphTech saddles are great upgrades. I eventually plan to upgrade mine. They're kinda pricy at about $60 for the set, but you would never break a string at the saddle ever again.

Old March 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #19
VWMan#30
Forum Member

this thread is bad ass! i have 2 guitars, a evh wolfgang. and a jackson knockoff electric. willing to jam with anyone who is in the s.c reigon
VWMan#30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #20
excello
Forum Member

I build a mudhoen guitar once that sounds really horrible, which is really fitting for the music we make.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbThFgBeYJI
(I made the muppet and cookies as well btw)
excello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #21
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Interesting thread here. I used to play guitar and mandolin, but lately I've developed trigger fingers in both hands on my ring fingers. So not much playing for me anymore. I started taking lessons at the Boy's Club way back in the 60's with my first guitar, a Fender Duo-Sonic which was a very sweet little unit and I banged away on it in garage bands until I started driving, got a job and discovered girls & the "high life". Over the years Ive owned so many guitars and amps I could list them all on a legal pad. Then during the mid 70's when bluegrass was so popular, I played my fathers 1934 Gibson A Model mandolin and got pretty damn good, and I could sing harmony so I sat in on alot of jam sessions and parties. At the end of that group, we were about to record our first demo (no such thing as cd's back then) when work and other careers cause us all to just quit practising. My dad owned the most awesome acoustic guitar ever made IMHO, 1950 Gibson SJ250, the big counrty jumbo with real ivory and ebony accents. So over the years I'd say I've owned probably 25 different guitars of various sizes and configurations. As of now I own a very nice, in brand new condition, Stagg 12 string accoustic electric with tobacco sunburst finish, and a white and black LaBella accoustic electric mandolin, along with a few fixer uppers that play but not very well. Music is in my blood and my soul, I just cant play it very good now at 57 yoa. I also played trumpet and baritone horn all through junior and part of senior high school. If I would have stuck with it I would probably be a star now LOL.
Zim'rod (zim'-rod)n.- a handbuilt Volkswagen hotrod or jalopy, sometimes a pick-up, from several different years of the classic German automobile. In particular, 67', 69', 72', and 74' model years. Built from the realm of an insane mind, with a volksrod theme or style. Thank you bugdust.
Daily driver: 91' Cadillac Brougham.
AirheadZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #22
MrChainsaw
Forum Member

I've been playing drums for about 16 years.

Built the drum set a while ago, Keller maple shells, stained and assembled them myself, the sound AMAZING, and cost me about half of what I was looking at paying to have a set built OUT OF THE EXACT SAME WOOD.

Snare I just built about a month ago, Keller maple as well, stained it and put it together, love the tone out of it.

I play a bunch of different cymbals. I tend to break them a lot, so I'm always trying new brands and lines to see what can last. I just "used up" a pair of Paiste cymbals earlier this year that were around $400 each, I'm never buying them again, sounded great, but only lasted through 7-8 months of playing before they cracked. Usually I play Zildjian Avedis or A Custom or some higher end (AA or Signature) Sabian, but lately I picked up a Meinl and I think I'm going to try and see what they can do for me for a while.

Old March 28th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #23
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Welp, I picked up the ESP ltd Viper-301. A nice guitar at a great deal. On a scale of 0-10, this thing is a 9.5.

I'll have to try to get better pics later.

My Fender Twin Reverb and Daisy Rock bass.

Old March 28th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #24
GPJason
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I picked up this Peavey Grind about a year and a half ago. I've been trying to play for about four years. Also bought the Peavey TKO115 amp to hear myself over my sons ludwig set. I started with a 3/4 Epiphone EB0, but wanted a 34" bass. I play them both, but not as much as I should. I usually keep one in drop D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misc.pics2 295.jpg (85.5 KB, 0 views)
GPJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #25
max16v
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
I've built a "circuit bent" keyboard.
Will post pics.
I used to do that with cheap keyboards and electronic learning devices I bought from local thrift stores.
Hours and hours of entertainment.
Furby , Speak and Spell, Atari

Upright bass (unknown make)
- K&K Bass Master Rockabilly Plus (bridge and fingerboard pickups. Has provision for separate fingerboard outlet)
- Danelectro Dan-Echo (I sometimes run the fingerboard through the echo pedal to give it a vintage echo sound)
- Global Gut strings
Shaved down the bridge and nut to lower the action, and helps for quicker slaps. Had the neck planed and repainted for a mere $60. Has an clean action and no fingerboard buzz. Most live performers plug their F holes with foam or use duct tape over them due to constant feedback.

Used saxophone reeds as to shim the pickup on the bridge.

Early 60's Teisco KB-200

Fender Bassman TV 1x15" 350w Amp.

Took a couple months to set up the action and sound on my upright, and it has gotten just as much attraction than my buddy's vintage Kay-Englehardt.

I play for a local traditional rockabilly band out of Palm Springs, and took over upright bass duties for our lead singer, who used to do both play/sing...which is definitely not an easy feat.
Band shot, Action shot
'56 Royal Enfield Super Meteor -The NorField
'69 T1 "Das Straßenzerstörer"
'86 Scirocco 16vT

Last edited by max16v; March 30th, 2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: More pictures
max16v is offline   Reply With Quote