Newest Member: dconrads

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old July 9th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #1
elmore69
Forum Member

Default Red gem gets cut

Well my cast is off my arm, just a brace now, but I can do a whole lot more than I could.
A while back I purchased this super beetle, with intentions of just driving it. Could thing becuase it was all I could do! I placated myself by saying, "This is a pretty nice bug I should leave it alone... Ha!
After a series of electrical problems and other mechanical proble that the P.O. caused by having the wrong parts installed, I decide screw this it's getting hotrodded.
I plan on this being a drive it and modify it on my days off kind of project, no hurry so we'll see what happens.
Being a super we'll see what happens to the nose, it's like a nice looking girl you see from the back who turns around and has a prominent nose, not bad but takes a little getting used to. Elmore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my bug6611 001.jpg (139.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by elmore69; July 9th, 2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: picture
elmore69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #2
elmore69
Forum Member

Default Re: Red gem gets cut

Here's some pictures of things flying off the body
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vw chop 004.jpg (118.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg vw chop 003.jpg (128.7 KB, 8 views)
Old July 10th, 2011, 05:01 AM   #3
big daddy chuck
Forum Member

I really like the picture of the sawsall sitting idle, Its like your trying to decide what to cut first.
big daddy chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #4
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy chuck View Post
I really like the picture of the sawsall sitting idle, Its like your trying to decide what to cut first.

or like your waiting for it to start doing the cuttin for ya

It does look purty nice

Buy one of Doug's (AKA Dbug41) Super adapters so you can put a beam and extender onto the front, or just start making it your own

I drive mine as much as possible, I try to do a little bit everyday, well almost everyday

and be Happy

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #5
elmore69
Forum Member

Yeah I had to stare at it a while before the cutting began! The right front wheelwell had some rust/bondo/ hole. I knocked the bondo out and about 10 pounds of steel wool came out of the heater channel! I won't have to by Brillo pads for a year. I cut out the offending section and welded in a patch panel. Then I needle scaled the wheel wells and primed them up.
I cut the rear valance around the edge of the motor cover , I didn't want to loose the latch. The wheel is off in that picture because I was replacing the starter (wrong one) and fixing the starter bushing (it was missing and the hole was all hogged out) Drilled the hole round and put in a new bushhing, took me hours, I don't fit well in that little space.
I threw some lights on it because I drive it to work, a little bit of work each day makes it get done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vw chop 006.jpg (109.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg vw chop 007.jpg (98.2 KB, 4 views)
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #6
elmore69
Forum Member

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm still trying the figure out the front end. I like DBugs extensions and adapters for the super, I'll definatley keep that in mind. Was wondering if I could cut the front suspension off and move it foward??? The strut towers would be a problem as would the sway bar mounts but it could be done. Maybe even replace the struts with a cross leaf, I'll keep staring at it.
Did I mention the fenders were glued and bolted on, I got all the bolts off and they wouldn't budge. That 3m adhesive is some powerful stuff!!, at least they didn't fall on my head.
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #7
rostigbug
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

[QUOTE=elmore69;515511] Maybe even replace the struts with a cross leaf, I'll keep staring at it.
QUOTE]

I th9ink you are on to a great ideer there
praps a cross leaf would be adequate as a kind of upper controll arm and spring? just use a pivot instead of a shackle at each end.....
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #8
elmore69
Forum Member

The front of the car is pretty beefy, I think with some gusseting you could mount a leaf spring, a pivot arrangement on the strut lower half would locate it ok, get a kind of split straight axle, like an Allard, ad some tube shocks and it would be OK
Old July 13th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #9
elmore69
Forum Member

Today I adjusted the valves and painted the valve covers, new rubber gaskets and coppercoat, no more leaks!!!
I also decided since I couldn't afford to extend my wheelbase right away I would shorten down the nose a bit. I cut the vented area out from uner the hood, , pruned it back to the body supports, looks better not as much sheet metal hanging off the front of the car! Threw some primer on it and went for a ride to my friends house to witness them disect a 60 chevy completely, nothing left but a pile of parts, he also had a 62 4 door with the little low rider wire wheels on it, for some reason it looked like it needede to be saved from the back lot, I resisted and went home.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vw chop 011.jpg (116.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg vw chop 012.jpg (114.3 KB, 2 views)