Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old July 11th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #1
MISTER_TIBBS
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default How to lower the back of my '64

I can't seem to find much info on how to lower the back of my '64 about 1"-2". I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Just need some instructions, ideas, and possibly pics. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 205571_1024809069186_1494031660_69743_6866_n.jpg (64.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 207427_1024809109187_1494031660_69744_7186_n.jpg (68.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg VW.jpg (84.7 KB, 3 views)

'64 Beetle Rag Top
'05 Jetta GLI 1.8t
MISTER_TIBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Default Re: How to lower the back of my '64

Same basic process here:

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30372
Old July 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #3
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Dean View Post
Yup that's the way I have always done it (cept I was raising them for off road use like he is doing)

The 3rd picture down you see the tool you can buy, or make something similar to push the spring plate back up (I use my floor jack) until you can get it above the stop as seen in the 5th picture (just the stop), then in the 8th picture you can see where he has removed a bit of the stop by grinding it off

The torsion bars have some force to them, so when you are taking things apart and you get to the point of prying the spring plate off it's stop, keep fingers clear and beware of the noise it may make when it unloads all the tension from the spring plate, the first time I did it you could see skeleton for a split second

Now I have never done it with a tool like the one in picture 3, but I'm sure it would be much easier

Now I have only used a floor jack and some 3/8 chain with at least 1 hook on it, wrap the chain under the floor jack, then up and over the top of the rear shock mount where he has the top of his tool, I have used a screw to put into one of the chain loops so it can't slip off (make sure you have a long enough screw of the right size, then buy chain big enough so the screw can go thru one of the chain loops) after all that I raise the jack up a bit until it just gets off the stop, then pry the spring plate outward to get it off it's stop, put the jack under the end of the spring plates al far away as possible

Just search and read anything and everything you can about air-cooled VW's, buy a good book, I have a bunch of different books on VW's and I think it's Haynes or something like that, but that book covers purty much of everything you need to know to fix and repair your VW, just look at the exploded view of the rear torsion bar removal/replacement, that should give you an idea what your getting into

Good Luck

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #4
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTER_TIBBS View Post
Got it! Thanks fellas. Looks like I'll have to notch the spring plate as well. These spring plates are expensive but seem like the are legit and doesn't cause the rear to camber. Whatcha think?
I call bullshit!

Its a swing axle. Its going to have camber!

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Scott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #5
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

x2 on the bullshit. On a swing axle car, unless you are adding an additional CV in the axle itself at the torsion/hub carrier which would allow the wheel to remain vertical, it's physically impossible to lower the car with out affecting camber. it's simple geometry.
Old July 14th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #6
Reaper
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

X3. The only way to avoid negative camber on a swing-axle, is to do a transmission raise. and even then, you're still going to get "some", depending on how low you want to go.
Volksrod- [volks-rod] verb, volks.rod.ded, volks.rod.ding. Slang.
A Volkswagen modified in either looks, performance, paint, or a combination of the three, over factory stock.
http://www.myspace.com/isotope0

Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #7
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

You can always just throw 3 or 4 bags of cement behind the rear seat.
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #8
rostigbug
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I bet Mr Tibbs is confusing toe with camber
Those spring plates do not look Volksrod to me. Put a set of those on Lumpy (My V-R) & it would look like a diamond in a goat's ass
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #9
MISTER_TIBBS
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Toe is when you need an alignment therefore one tire is headed in a different direction instead of straight. When you raise the back end of a swing axle up (with a floor jack), it creates a positive camber, when it's lowered too much (by means of adjusting splines), it creates neg camber.

Or am I confused between my head and my ass?

'64 Beetle Rag Top
'05 Jetta GLI 1.8t
MISTER_TIBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #10
UT-X
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
X3. The only way to avoid negative camber on a swing-axle, is to do a transmission raise. and even then, you're still going to get "some", depending on how low you want to go.
x4! I used 'em and I'm not even sure it helped with the camber at all!
UT-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Jon
Forum Member

Those will take in the toe in out.
You could make yourself some extensions yourself using an additional pair of spring plates.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTER_TIBBS View Post
Toe is when you need an alignment therefore one tire is headed in a different direction instead of straight. When you raise the back end of a swing axle up (with a floor jack), it creates a positive camber, when it's lowered too much (by means of adjusting splines), it creates neg camber.

Or am I confused between my head and my ass?

You are correct in your statements, but you failed to think about how a swing axle produces positive and negative camber. When you raise/lower the car (with a floor jack or bags of cement..... ) the reason you get camber in either direction is because there is only one pivot point in a swing axle. Hence the name "SWING" axle.

If you rest your arm on a table lift your hand (keeping your elbow on the table), and you don't bend your wrist, you achieve the same plane of motion that a swing axle goes through.

Now, if you perform the preceding actions and, as you raise your hand, you flex your wrist to keep the top of your hand totally horizontal, you create the motion of an IRS.

Without the outer pivot (bending of your wrist) there is NO WAY IN HELL OR ON GODS GREEN EARTH that you can avoid a negative camber issue by simply swapping the spring plates.
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #13
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

what those springplates do is adjust independent of the torsion bar. You can set the torsion of the bar which sets spring rate, then their system allows you to re-index the spring plate to the torsion bar with the spring plate by a rotating hub rather than changing the pre-load of the bar. Its just a different kind of adjustable spring plate with a built in drop.

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0; July 15th, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
HeidelbergJohn4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote