Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:29 PM   #1
ccstud17
Forum Member

Default How F*ed am I?
Re:: OT question about a v6 motor part   

i have that sinking feeling i just ruined a $300 part on my jeep, Im hoping yall can help brainstorm salvage attempts...
on my new distributor for a v6 225 buick dauntless, the "tongue" to drive the oil pump was too long, called the company they said i could grind it to fit.... got out the micrometer measured the oem length marked it on the new one and presto all is good, the distributor finally was seated....
ran it for about 10 mins playing with timing thing was running super hot, guessed it was vapor locked, but was not. new thermostat so i know its opening... pulled out the distributor and the tongue has been oval-ed!
tried to put paper towel balls even with the tongue, then put it back to see if the oil pump was still "meeting" up with the tongue. they were pushed a bit back so im not sure if the sheering is from previous attempts (this damn thing has been in and out over 100 times the last 2 days)

1. how can i check if the oil pump is engaging?
2. if i did grind off too much, how could i lengthen it?
- would taking off the gear, then welding blobs on to the end grinding flush, repeating. would that work?

any insight would be greatly appreciated

The Ramen Racer build thread
ccstud17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:36 PM   #2
ccstud17
Forum Member

Default Re: How F*ed am I?

upon further review, the tongue was short but not too short. but then after a bad "setting" it has sheered to where it is now 1/16 too short.
What would be the best way to add 1/8 of an inch?
all it has to do is spin the oil pump which does not require much force, but that force will be right where the "fix" will be.... any ideas or suggestions?

Old July 24th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #3
ccstud17
Forum Member

welding onto the end, then grinding, and repeat worked well. in case anyone wanted to know hahaha

mods you can delete this now pointless thread

Old July 24th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #4
big daddy chuck
Forum Member

Where is the old dizzy, You can likely pull the center shaft out of the old one and use it in your new distributor as ifs likely just the bushings that get old and sloppy.

My other suggestion to you before you go any further is to drop the oil and check for metalic shavings... 10 minutes with no oil pressure i'd be a little more concerned with the internals of your engine, than with the distributor @$300

You can take the old distributor, take off the cam gear its held on with a split pin. , insert your old dizzy back with the rotor removed , use a electric drill to turn the shaft and see if your still getting proper oil flow (pressure) . I use one on ALL my SBC engines when I swap out cams before I fire them up and run them.

I suggest doing this to see where you stand.

1) Change the oil, and check for metalic shavings

2) run the old dizzy in the oil pump and build up pressure 1-2 minutes ... REMOVE THE CAM GEAR OR YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO TURN THE PUMP WITH A DRILL!

3) and if your brave enough to pull apart the 2 dizzy's switch out the center shafts and you should be golden.

One othe thing that just hit me... is there only 1 oil seal on the mating surface the dizzy goes into. a scond seal/gasket will raise up the dizzy the anount you say if you didn't catch that its still on the block.
big daddy chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #5
ccstud17
Forum Member

BDC, thanks for your advice,
1. the new distributor is longer, and not the old points system. so I couldnt use the old shaft.
2. Good advice on checking for shavings, I changed the oil completely, there were some bits in there
3. I was too shallow, not too deep (thats what she said! haha) so another gasket would have only made it worse, i wish that would have been the solution needed!

Old July 24th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #6
big daddy chuck
Forum Member

I mentioned the second gasket to make sure it was NOT still on the block... I had a friend pour oil all over his driveway because the seal on the oil filter came off during an oil change and he did not notice there were two rubber gaskets, blew out all around the seal. what a mess, thats why I was wondering about your dizzy. that gasket more times than not people glue them down to the block to keep them in place

Its funny there is a difference in size, did you buy an aftermarket performance distributor?
big daddy chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #7
ccstud17
Forum Member

its an old jeep so spewing oil is nothing new haha....

yea I got a Performance Distributor's D.U.I. old dizzys diameter was about 3" this one is about 5" but it sure runs well now...