Total Online: 540

Newest Member: dedo_br

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old June 8th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #1
Gen
Forum Member

I know most of you have had this done or have done it yourselves... so here it goes

I am going to be replacing the floor pans in my bug pretty soon, and I was going to go ahead and cut them out... I started stripping out all the floor insulation crap along the seems and stuff, and noticed there wasn't really any welds, except in the corners... are they on the bottom (don't have good view of bottom) or what, where should I cut to remove the floor pans? does anyone have like an online guide to this... it would be very helpful..

btw, I was going to try and use a 4inch disk grinder to cut the welds... is that a good idea, or should I use a torch or something??

Thanks for any help you can offer :)

I need to go back to bed!
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #2
Gen
Forum Member

Ok, I did a little looking around, and found a site that said to use a saws all to cut the pans out about a half inch from center section and such, and then grind the rest of it off? is that a good way to do it... and would a jig saw work, the metal is pretty then, and I don't own a saws all :(

Old June 8th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #3
Ianvwsb73

Mantra #1 GET A SAWSALL!!!

I bought mine at the local pawn shop for $60. It works well enough to cut the metal. It sliced my pans like butter, I was using a jigsaw, but I kept screwing up. I bought the Sawsall and within minutes, literally, I had cut out my pans. You have to get the right blades though, and keep the blades well lubricated. I had some special cutting grease from Germany that my dad had laying around, it worked wonders. If you start having trouble, replace the blade, that usually solved my problems.

Ok, I'll go through the whole process for you right now in a step-by-step form.
1. Remove body and anything that is in the way of cutting the pans.
2. Cut the pans out as close to all three lips as possible. There is the tunnel lip and both crossmember lips.
3. Clean the area around the seams. There are three seams per side, front crossmember, rear crossmember, and tunnel. Cleaning the seams usually requires a wire wheel and a chisel to remove the seam sealer or you'll gum up the wire wheel.
4. Now look for what appears to be little dimples. These are actually spot welds. You will need to either get a spot weld drill bit or be careful not to go all the way through the tunnel lip with a normal drill bit. If you happen to go through, when welding the pans on, you either have to weld from the bottom up to the pan, or you have to put a piece of copper on the bottom of the hole and weld from the top to fill it up; either way be sure to know how to rosette weld well.
5. Grind all the other welds, usually the corner welds down and remove all the bits of metal. On easy way to remove the bits is by chisel and BFH (big fucking hammer). I used a wood chisel for awhile, made it nice and DULL, but then I got an extremely sharp metal chisel and that worked much better. You can also use an air chisel for that extra punch.
6. Fit the pans and trim them to fit perfectly. Most stampings don't fit perfectly, so get some tin shears and trim. I also used a hammer and doly to fit them perfectly.
7. Weld that shit on. Since I had so many holes from my initial drilling, I flipped the chassis and welded from underneath. I then flipped it up and finished welding the top.
8. Undercoat and seam seal.

That's it. All this took me about 4 days. peace, -Ian
Old June 8th, 2003, 08:21 PM   #4
Gen
Forum Member

Well, so far I managed to get one out... with a jigsaw... yikes... and I only broke 2 blades... lol

I have been slowly working on the grinding and stuff, but I am not all that experienced with the grinder so I am going slow so that I don't grind off something that needs to be there...

Two questions though:
1. Do any vendors sell the bottom peice of the center tunnel? towards the front mine has some rust on the inside and was considering trying to buy a new one.

Two, I have seen the front crossmember for sale on alot of sites, but I haven't seen the rear crossmember, one of mine is a tiny bit tweaked... anyone know of a site that sales the rear crossmember things?

Old June 9th, 2003, 10:42 AM   #5
Ianvwsb73

Certain floorpans come with that piece already attached. I think http://www.cip1.com has those types of floor pans. If you already have new pans, http://www.aircooled.net probably as the rear crossmember. peace, -Ian