Latest Threads
- by Bugula
- by DrHax
- by DrHax

Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Doc
Forum Member

Question Wrong pressure plate?

Ok smart guys.... I got a car with a blown up 1600cc duel port engine. So, switched out alot of parts onto a 1600cc duel port figureing it was a bug/beetle motor(something I picked up cheep). When I started putting on the new clutch plate and pressure plate, befor it was even hand tight I knoticed the plate had already made contact... so as I continued to tighten it, basicly it compleatly clamped in so tight that it had no room to release. If I were to install it, pushing in the clutch wouldn't release it.

Is my pully too shallow? Is my pressure plate too thick? Maybe there is some kind of spacer needed between the plate and the pully? Never ran into a problem like this and I used the search function for the last hour comeing up with nothing close to it. Need to get this one out of the shop soon.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:19 PM   #2
sandfreaks
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Wrong pressure plate?

I think that is normal Doc.
It should move ever so slightly though with pressure applied to the splines
once its on. Lacking a Clutch alignment tool I have eyeballed many and when
installing it will move ever so slightly to align up.
sandfreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Doc
Forum Member

Yeah, the problem I have is that when I tighten the bolts it seems to depress the plate down too hard too soon, like a quarter inch gap between the plate and the pully when it sits really tight. once I just hand tighten it there is no room left for the clutch to release... I am unsure what type of VW this came from and I know nothing about Gia or Things. I'm convinced something is wrong with the pressure plate or the pully is too shallow, im going to pull out the old engine tomarrow and see if I get the same result on the old pully.

Lots of beetles, a few super beetles and 1 bus are all I really have worked with. Never felt this confused..... this is like my 20th clutch replacement for a flat 4.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Doc
Forum Member

measured, measured, measured... and then clueless yet again... so I took the pressure plate and clutch plate from my V-rod to see what would happen. Did not get tight until the plate was almost in place, nearly a quarter inch off the other one I had trouble with and has enough room to release when the clutch is pushed in.... still not sure what the mechanics causes it, but they look compleatly differnt and trying that same plate on the original flywheel had the same problem... though I have never seen a broken pressure plate befor, I belive I have one now. Thanx guy, it's somewhat solved now.