Members: 16,054
Threads: 31,503
Total Online: 43

Newest Member: flyfishbc

Latest Threads

Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1
VOLKSWAGNER420
Forum Member

Default Did I score on this ancient compressor?
Re:: Is it worth fixing up?   

Hey there from N.C. again, I have been looking at blasting pots and realized that my 5CFM 70 gallon (home made) in my shop aint gona cut it. I have been looking at new 5 HP 11-14CFM compressors and they are WAY out of my price range at $2K-$3K so I have been looking at used ones as I would always rather have used quality over new junk. Notice I am not restoring a Toyota Tercel. Also over the years of fixing stuff up you realize that they really don't make stuff like they used to anymore! So I was looking for a old beast, and I think I found it! Best I can tell it is a 5HP-6 1/2HP (looks WAY bigger) SpeedAir With a HUGE Dayton pump. (the original) It needs the original motor rebuilt and I got it with the deal too. (The biggest Electric motor that I have ever seen in person!) He says that the pump leaks oil,(no shit, there is two quarts on the outside of it!!) but works fine but I am gona go thru it and give it a birthday while the stock motor is being rebuilt. The big ass stock motor also says it is made by Dayton. He said that he should have let it go when the motor quit but instead he put some BS motor from Lowes on there that was 1/3 the size of the stock one (still bigger than most motors you see running pumps on new ones) that only runs one belt instead of two and burned it up It in 3 months. Then he coughed up the $3K for a new one. He still could not bring himself to scrap it as it has been in his family longer than he has but he let me get it for $50 'cause he knows that I am gona fix it. Hell even if I can't, as heavy as that thing is you could scrap it for more than that. Just the Dayton electric motor off it is AT LEAST 200LBS! The guy I got it from said that his dad bought it USED over 45 years ago! So it is a oldie! (but goodie I hope) He has run his auto shop off it for the last 6 years of that. Anyone know anything about these kind? Or where to get parts and or manuals for it? The last Chevy small block (388 Stroker) I built for my buddie's Monti had 578 FtLbs of torque and would lift the front wheel from the lite (in a street car) So I have no doubt that I can fix it, the question is, should I? What do yall think, rusty gold, or just rusty? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1102.jpg (75.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1104.jpg (110.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1105.jpg (52.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNER420; May 5th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
VOLKSWAGNER420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Did I score on this ancient compressor?

Do a search for Commercial Air Compressor suppliers in your area to try and find any parts you might need.

Keep it and run it.

http://www.Rosecityvolksters.com
Cat Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:30 PM   #3
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Looks like one my dad had in his body shop for years. For $50, start checking on parts lists and see.
If anything you can always stick a more modern pump on it. The tank is worth more than the $ you paid for it. And much less than what a scrap yard would give you. I'd say 'steal' :)
Start with a pressure washer~

http://www.speedaire.com/
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:50 PM   #4
VOLKSWAGNER420
Forum Member

Cool, good to hear! I looked on it's tag and it is a 1961 model. Now i'm jealous, damn thing got to be there for the 60's! Back when weed was cheap and pussy couldn't kill ya!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Ace of Shades
Site Supporter

You can't even buy a pony tank for that cheap. Even if you don't rebuild it as a compressor you could still use it as reserve tank
I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU
Ace of Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #6
triker_Chewie
Forum Member

check the tank for rust. try to look inside of possible. it may go boom under pressure
Bodger's Paradise my blog
triker_Chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #7
VOLKSWAGNER420
Forum Member

Chewie, Yeah I thought that is why they stopped using cast iron tanks, there is a 3 inch plug on the end that I am gona unscrew and see how it looks. If it is not too bad I will dump some POR-15 in there and work it all around. If it IS bad I will get an old 200 gallon LP tank and convert it. I think the motor is a 3 phase, not for sure tho. I will find out later today when I drop it off to be rebuilt.
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #8
VOLKSWAGNER420
Forum Member

Dropped the motor off, it is a single phase. The dude said he would go thru it with a fine tooth comb fix it, paint it and even if he has to wind it he said that it wont be over $350.
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Meat/Grinder
Forum Member

Well. You are doing the right thing by briging the old beast back to life. There are parts places out here in socal that should have parts for that monster. But speedaire should be able to hook you up. 350 to rebuild the motor is way more than reasonable.
Meat/Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #10
VOLKSWAGNER420
Forum Member

Yeah the reason it might even be that high was due to the fact that 3 electronic parts were missing and another two were visibly fried. Mainly a case. He said that it would only get that high if he has to rewind it. He has been doing motors for 36 years out of the same spot, so I figure you don't pull that off by getting over on people as word of mouth is everything. Hopefully he will do me better than that. I saw a compressor on E-Bay slightly smaller but looked the same vintage/condition and ran and they wanted $2,500 for it. Can you think of any of the names of places out that way who might have the pump rebuild kit for me? It is a 1961 Dayton 2-stage model #1Z763. Thanks! Steve

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNER420; May 5th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #11
strat62plyr
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Grainger.com
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/def...071&sst=subset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.
strat62plyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #12
VOLKSWAGNER420
Forum Member

Strat, Thanks. I went there and no luck with it being that old, I may have to call them. I did see a motor like the one I am having redone and it was almost $1,800 and didn't look near as industrial as mine. also the newer scrawny looking version of my pump I am trying to find a rebuild kit for is almost $1,200! WoW! My $50 crap shoot is looking better and better all the time!
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #13
VOLKSWAGNER420
Forum Member

I called Granger and they cross referenced my pump number to a newer version (same design) that they stock parts for. I ordered a full gasket kit, all the stuff for the valves, and the high and low pressure rings, and still under $120! So even if the motor dude hits me in the a$$ for the whole $350 to rebuild the 5Hp I will still be happy with what I have in it. It took 51 years for it to take a shit the first time, hopefully it will do it again! I will post pics when it is done. Soon I will have enough CFM to sand blast some Beetle!
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #14
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The company that my son runs scraped their old air compressor. He was against it, but the owner said buy a new one. A bearing on the electic motor was making a little noise. I got it for free and gave it to a friend of mine that has a business that does sandblasting and powercoating. It puts out 37 cfm @ 175 lbs, and the weight was a good 2500-3000 lbs. We used the company crane and put it on a trailer and pulled it with a Dodge 1 ton diesel truck. He was happy. Pop
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #15
VOLKSWAGNER420
Forum Member

$hit yeah he was! Whats crazy is with the new pumps IF they even offer a steel rod upgrade (most don't) it is like $90 extra and even then the cheap ass Chinese BS doesn't last! Mine will be made AND re-made in the USA!
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #16
jdinvt
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I still have one my dad had years ago and I dug it out yesterday butthis one is an old sears robuck, 1961, 1/2 hp as well. I called sears to see if it would be possible to get a new oneas a replacement, worth a shot, but they said they dont do that for those, just tools, THAT SUCKS. I might try to find out if mine is worth rebuilding too, good luck with yours.
jdinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:04 AM   #17
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLKSWAGNER420 View Post
$hit yeah he was! Whats crazy is with the new pumps IF they even offer a steel rod upgrade (most don't) it is like $90 extra and even then the cheap ass Chinese BS doesn't last! Mine will be made AND re-made in the USA!

You have the right idea. Also go to garage sales and look for older well made power tools and rebuilt them. Better that the junk that is on the market today. Pop
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #18
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

3 phase motors are much cheaper to fix or rebuild than single phase motors are

You just need a roto-phase converter to run 3 phase motors, I built mine for $0.00

But I was given a 3 phase motor, then I scrounged a bunch of capacitors from old A/C compressors to get the 3rd line to equal what the other 2 single phase lines are

It's simple to build a 3 phase converter, I found all the info by googling it, and if anybody tells you it can't be done, it's because they are full of shit, or wanna sell you one for a few thousand $$

Been using mine since 2005 to run all my 3 phase machinery

Ron

http://metalmaster1766.webs.com/

Ron
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #19
VOLKSWAGNER420
Forum Member

Jdin, I don't know if it is worth the trouble for a 1/2 HP unless that is really all you are gona need for air or unless you want to do it for sentimental value, which has no price.
Pop, depending on how easy this one is to do I might be on the lookout for one like it or bigger to rebuild and re-sell for extra cash for my VW build.
Metal master, that is very interesting. The one I am having rebuilt is a single stage 5HP but it came in 1961 with a 3 phase 3HP according to the tag. What is better about three phase? Also why are they cheaper to rebuild?
I got my HP and LP rings and HOLY CRAP! They are thicker than the ones that go in a small block Chevy! I got ALL of the gaskets for the pump now to, another week or so and I will have all the parts to service the valves.

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNER420; May 11th, 2012 at 03:21 PM.