- by d3ghia

Old May 12th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default LED lights/ modern lights

Has anyone used these?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1245014

I think they could look cool on the right car.

I just picked up a 65 vert. It has 56-61 tail lights. Has anyone used the LED kit for those lights? I also want to incorporate some kind of 3rd brake light (LED) and maybe some H4s up front. It has generic Porsche style lenses up front. Any suggestions for 3rd brake lights? I know thereare a ton of them available for street rods & motorcycles...anyone here actually use one of them?

Thanks.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Doc
Forum Member

Default Re: LED lights/ modern lights

Double check your state laws for LED tail lights. Also I have seen those headlights alot cheeper on Ebay and stuff.... assumeing you already have houseings for them I would look around for the lights.
Old May 13th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #3
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Hubby put a small led 3 light set on his bike a couple weeks ago, he's already had some tell him to turn them down

It's kinda bulky though. Has different modes, flashing. But gets attention like it's supposed to.
Look at trucks too. But they do work.

He did put a different headlight in the dragon, not h4s, but regular and they are MUCH brighter. I will get the info on those in a bit for you.
Edit, he installed the capsule kind, but the H3s. The h4s seemed to draw the alt down, but he thinks that's just bad wiring.
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #4
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Double check your state laws for LED tail lights. Also I have seen those headlights alot cheeper on Ebay and stuff.... assumeing you already have houseings for them I would look around for the lights.
LED's are OEM on just about everything these days. can't see how they would be illegal.

I saw a group of trikers on the way up to Scott's place yesterday and the lead trike had a flashing LED headlight. While I like the idea for visibility, I"m almost certain any continuously flashing red, white, or blue light other than a turn indicator is illegal in our state.

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0; May 13th, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
HeidelbergJohn4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #5
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdust View Post
Has anyone used these?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1245014

I think they could look cool on the right car.

I just picked up a 65 vert. It has 56-61 tail lights. Has anyone used the LED kit for those lights? I also want to incorporate some kind of 3rd brake light (LED) and maybe some H4s up front. It has generic Porsche style lenses up front. Any suggestions for 3rd brake lights? I know thereare a ton of them available for street rods & motorcycles...anyone here actually use one of them?

Thanks.
I was actually thinking about figuring out a way to put a row inside of the vent under the rear window.

The LED's would look good in the real early housings. Almost like the snowflakes. They certainly are bright and probably a good option for the electrical systems on a bug.

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0; May 13th, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
HeidelbergJohn4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Doc
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidelbergJohn4.0 View Post
LED's are OEM on just about everything these days. can't see how they would be illegal.
Just about 2 months back someone from PA was posting about how they got ticketed, and it was bolth for fenderless and LED headlights/tail lights. There are a few states that are strange about their laws.
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #7
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

This guy sells an LED kit. It's a little pricey but I'm too lazy to build my own.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=892796

There is a company that has these, 62-67 bugs and late split-early bay bus units. I will probably get some for my westy at some point, too. I think I'm going to try these out soon...have to spend $$ on a couple other things first.

I have ran the regular H4 bulbs in numerous VWs now. I'm not sure if I want to try LEDs in the vert or not but I think so.

The 3rd brake light will be a challenge. There are not vents under the top, the rear window folds away so that only leaves the vents in the decklid. The rain tray is not on the decklid now but I will be putting one on soon. I don't mind a discreet bumper mounted one but I'd prefer to have it higher.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Wraithblade
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Way cheaper on EBay I'm going to use them as well and led tail light are legal everywhere but need a reflective surface aswell like if the car is stranded at night it needs like red reflective tape to make it visible.
Wraithblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Doc
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithblade View Post
Way cheaper on EBay I'm going to use them as well and led tail light are legal everywhere but need a reflective surface aswell like if the car is stranded at night it needs like red reflective tape to make it visible.
This dose hit the headlights sence the side amber LED's have no reflective surface you will need to put on some reflectors in the front... this dose make it pointless to use those headlights sence you were hopeing to get a cleaner look or avoid extra makers.... now I remember more about those laws, the person that was ticketed was useing ford tear drop LED tail lights that have no reflective coat and I belive they were tinted aswel.
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Thunder938
Forum Member

The trick to LEDs is that the have almost no resistance. So IF you run them on a circuit with reg lights you will have to run a resitor at or near the LEDs to match the resistance. IF you run LED turns all around no problem, but if you run just LEDs on the back or front then you have to adjust for resistance.
Thunder938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #11
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdust View Post
This guy sells an LED kit. It's a little pricey but I'm too lazy to build my own.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=892796

There is a company that has these, 62-67 bugs and late split-early bay bus units. I will probably get some for my westy at some point, too. I think I'm going to try these out soon...have to spend $$ on a couple other things first.

I have ran the regular H4 bulbs in numerous VWs now. I'm not sure if I want to try LEDs in the vert or not but I think so.

The 3rd brake light will be a challenge. There are not vents under the top, the rear window folds away so that only leaves the vents in the decklid. The rain tray is not on the decklid now but I will be putting one on soon. I don't mind a discreet bumper mounted one but I'd prefer to have it higher.
How about incorporating them into the licence plate light hood somehow. It's not really high, but it would be a third center brake light.
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #12
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Just about 2 months back someone from PA was posting about how they got ticketed, and it was bolth for fenderless and LED headlights/tail lights. There are a few states that are strange about their laws.
I'm sure the fenderless got him yanked. Flat out, vw never made a fenderless bug, and cops know that. PA is also strict about any non OEM parts, but I'd take that shit to court. Even for cars, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to get incandesent bulbs for anything. I want to see a judge show me LED's a re somehow a hazard to public safety considering the number of cars that have them as OEM equipment. IMHO, PA just sucks for cars in general.
Old May 13th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Doc
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidelbergJohn4.0 View Post
I'm sure the fenderless got him yanked. Flat out, vw never made a fenderless bug, and cops know that. PA is also strict about any non OEM parts, but I'd take that shit to court. Even for cars, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to get incandesent bulbs for anything. I want to see a judge show me LED's a re somehow a hazard to public safety considering the number of cars that have them as OEM equipment. IMHO, PA just sucks for cars in general.
Agreed.. I'll take my WA state laws any day. we just have a rear engine cover law... hoodless T's get away with it but not VW.
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #14
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have noticed that all the trucks (semi trucks & trailers) have had LED's on them for the past year or longer, & they are very strict about safety on the big rigs

Ron

http://metalmaster1766.webs.com/

Ron
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #15
Thunder938
Forum Member

I have LEDs on my Caddy CTS wagon..
Thunder938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #16
mkparker
Forum Member

As has been discussed...I don't think LEDs are a problem at all. It's just companies/people making the replacement taillight units aren't making them to DOT/SAE specs. Especially the reflective requirement.

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #17
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I've actually heard of a few cases of people being given tickets for stock equipment, but this was a few years ago when they were still new..

one thing you have to look out for though are the colors.. technically, the blue/purple tinted ones and the yellow ones are illegal, but it's one of those things that a cop probably won't pull you over just for that, but he will add it to a list..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T "Folsom Blue"
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:56 PM   #18
StickerDick
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1267895
I bought these tail lights today on Samba, I had bought before from this guy, quality is good and the lights fit well and work well. I also bought headlights on Ebay today, with small modification they will fit our buckets. I thought the price was fair, and I have used these on my motorcyles and Hotrods before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110773187625...S:3160&vxp=mtr

Last edited by StickerDick; May 21st, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
StickerDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:20 PM   #19
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I'm going to order the 56-61 kit when I get more VW money. I've got a few other things to deal with before I get to the lights.

I will order:
some type of LED headlight or H4s at minimum
56-61 version LED tail light set
chrome/ billet license plate frame with LED 3rd brakelight

That should make the vert see/ be seen a little better. I'm thinking about installing a set of '67 reverse lights but I'm not sure if it is too much. I have a set so maybe I will mock them up and see.

Quote:
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:28 PM   #20
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

I have LED Halo lights on Klink, and I'm building custom "Euro" LED tail light pods. Kind of gives another hint as to the dirrection this ones going...

EDIT:

These are the ones I have...

Last edited by Ray-Dean; May 21st, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Ray-Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:08 PM   #21
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I like the look of those. Do they fit stock buckets? I wonder how they would do behind the Porsche H4-style outer lenses?

Quote:
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM   #22
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

They are a "universial" replacement for any 7" round head light, and fit my old "buggy" head light housings just fine. Don't know how they would fit in a stock bucket. The "buggy" lights are a bit deeper than a stock bucket, but not by much. I wouldn't foresee a problem.

Last edited by Ray-Dean; May 21st, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:22 AM   #23
jkien65
Forum Member

Where did you get those Ray-Dean?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:03 AM   #24
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkien65 View Post
Where did you get those Ray-Dean?
Street Beat Customs. Check the properties of the pic for the web site. I bought them about a year ago or so. Looks like the price is about the same though.

Last edited by Ray-Dean; May 22nd, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:37 PM   #25
Rawbdad
Forum Member

I just got a set of those too, love em. As for LED Brake and indicator lights, check out superbrightleds.com. They have all kinds of styles. I bought bulbs like the stock bulbs but with LED's in them. popped in my indicator and brake lights which are 1.50 trailer lights. Headlights like Ray-Deans, think I am going to run the indicators in the headlight as a running light.
Rawbdad is offline   Reply With Quote