Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,757
Threads: 31,674
Total Online: 52

Newest Member: smokedmustang

Latest Threads
- by wvobug
- by 1slo3

Old June 1st, 2012, 09:23 PM   #1
wccr_engineering
Forum Member

Default WCCR Intro...

Hello there.

New to the site and new to VW but have been an admirer since a young boy. 33 now and getting the "itch" for something cool to drive (too long cooped up inside a minivan!)

Looked into motorcycles, but where I live it gets to be 110 with 90% humidity in the summer...NOT something I want to ride in, and my wife would be joining in that heat, so where's the fun in that?

Was talking to my son (10yo) the other day as we were watching "Wheeler Dealers" on TV and we started talking about cars and hot rods...and wouldn't it be cool to build one. While searching the internet, we can across this forum.

I've been reading it ALOT ever since! (My wife would say too much!)

So...now we both have the fever, and are looking for a good VR candidate. We are going to a show and shine tomorrow night being put on by the local VW club, and we plan on joining. The members seems very nice. Hope to get one soon!!!

Our project is codenamed "Vanessa". She will be a Plymouth Prowler inspired VR with baja type rear fenders, front splash guards, and a two tone paint job. Blue and white is one of my favorite color combos, and I like the idea of a 1950's vette painted "scoop". We are thinking of have the royal blue be flat and the white be gloss for extra "pop".

For treads, we are planning on getting a set of 18x7.5 Dodge Charger police rims. They have 18mm offset, which if I have serached and learned (did my homework! used the Search button! ) that this should result in approx 113mm (~4.4") backspacing. When we add the 1" width adapters, that should bring the backspacing back close to stock backspacing...I think. (Read somewhere on here a 4.5" rim has 41ET? this is about 3.8" backspacing?) Anyway, I love the look of those rims, and they will match the two tone paint as we plan on painting the wheels as well.

For power....undecided. I have a lot of homework to do, because I really like the concept of using a motorcycle engine...possibly even with the whole clutch...of course, there's that whole reverse thing...but like I said! LOTS of homework on that one! I've also been looking at Kennedy adapters...putting a Dodge SRT-4 engine in a VR would be insane! If we do go with a 1600, chris wants to put "RAM Air" in the rear fenders ducted to aid engine cooling. Looked cool when we drew it! The side exhaust was something we saw on someone else's VR that we really liked as well..

I don't think I'll journal here, mostly because I would like feedback as we build, so I think I'll journal in the other section...

I'll now attempt to add a few pictures of what our concept is...

Hope to talk/type/chat with you soon! Wish us luck!

-Will (dad) and Chris (son)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volksrod_blueWhite.jpg (157.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 18x7.5 18mm offset 4895425AE.jpg (31.7 KB, 3 views)
wccr_engineering is offline   Reply With Quote