- by DrHax
- by d3ghia
- by KrazyK

Old June 1st, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1
wccr_engineering
Forum Member

Default Father/Son Volksrod build
Re:: The Vanessa Project   

Was talking to my son (10yo) the other day as we were watching "Wheeler Dealers" on TV and we started talking about cars and hot rods...and wouldn't it be cool to build one. While searching the internet, we came across this forum.

I've been reading it ALOT ever since! (My wife would say too much!)

So...now we both have the fever, and are looking for a good VR candidate. We are going to a show and shine tomorrow night being put on by the local VW club, and we plan on joining the club. The members seems very nice. Hope to get one soon!!!

Our project is codenamed "Vanessa". She will be a Plymouth Prowler inspired VR with baja type rear fenders, front splash guards, and a two tone paint job. Blue and white is one of my favorite color combos, and I like the idea of a 1950's vette painted "scoop". We are thinking of having the royal blue be flat and the white be gloss for extra "pop".

For treads, we are planning on getting a set of 18x7.5 Dodge Charger police rims. They have 18mm offset, which if I have searched and learned (did my homework! used the Search button! ) that this should result in approx 113mm (~4.4") backspacing. When we add the 1" width adapters, that should bring the backspacing back close to stock backspacing...I think. (Read somewhere on here a 4.5" rim has 41ET? this is about 3.8" backspacing?) Anyway, I love the look of those rims, and they will match the two tone paint as we plan on painting the wheels as well.

For power....undecided. I have a lot of homework to do, because I really like the concept of using a motorcycle engine...possibly even with the whole clutch...of course, there's that whole reverse thing...but like I said! LOTS of homework on that one! I've also been looking at Kennedy adapters...putting a Dodge SRT-4 engine in a VR would be insane! If we do go with a 1600, Chris wants to put "RAM Air" in the rear fenders ducted to aid engine cooling. Looked cool when we drew it! The side exhaust was something we saw on someone else's VR that we really liked as well..

I'll journal here, and try to document a lot of the build. Previous builds on this site have been incredibly helpful!

I'll now attempt to add a few pictures of what our concept is...

Hope to talk/type/chat with you soon! Wish us luck!

-Will (dad) and Chris (son)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volksrod_blueWhite.jpg (157.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 18x7.5 18mm offset 4895425AE.jpg (31.7 KB, 6 views)

My Intro

Life is problems, living is solving them!

Last edited by wccr_engineering; June 2nd, 2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typos! doh!
wccr_engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:45 AM   #2
GI Joe
Forum Member

Default Re: Father/Son Volksrod build

Looks like a Great start to a great project. love the name and the ideas so far!!
I too am a fan of Police style wheels and have a whole build planned with these accessories in mind... A bot of a tribute car, if you will...

Awesome experience for you both. Our Thing is named appropriately, as it was between my Pop and I.. It was Our Thing. I am trying to share the same type experience with my kids!

Build on man!!!
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Doc
Forum Member

Nice, If I were you though I would concider useing normal bug specs with maybe a much larger engine and transmission, the amount of body mods might make it a long build anyways. Not sure if you plan for the first build to be that long, most kids while they get into it... will lose alot of passion if the first payoff "hotrod builder" isn't quenched in a few months. This is where I would say, "build a good one first, drive it, love it. then go all out with extensive mods".

However if your son always sticks to his guns, go all out and good luck with reverse!

Also the rims you have there with adapters should put it back to the original position just covering the drum brakes in the back. I hope that you get a starter car for this project soon and come up with some crazy stuff.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:28 AM   #4
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

I'd say trim back the front apron too so you don't see it next to the hood.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:59 AM   #5
mkparker
Forum Member

Looks like great fun Will and Chris! Welcome to the site!

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:54 PM   #6
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Looks like you're hooked! Only drawback with a motorcycle engine is the lack of torque required to get a realitively heavy bug going. Maybe a Goldwing six? But, I side with Doc that a pumped up VW powerplant will get you on the road a lot faster and likely cheaper.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:56 PM   #7
wccr_engineering
Forum Member

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Tonight we went out for ice cream and then went to the local Show and Shine...had a blast!

Met the local club, Cenla Volks Folks. A very nice group!

Also...started talking to one of them and....bought Vanessa!
I did not know this, but Vanessa likes to go topless!

Yes, that's right! Vanessa has turned out to be a 1979 Super Beetle Convertible.

I was not sure about the super beetle part of the equation at first, but after reading about the great new adapter Dbug41 now makes for Super Beetles, I figured, why not!

My wife love the idea of a convertible (remember this is semi-replacing a motorcycle in my life...) and this is a pretty solid base to start from. The body is in good shape, only surface rust, the rear seat area will need work but the channels are clean. The floor pans have already been removed, and a brand new pair of pans came with it. This one also has A/C, which will be nice when it is roasting in the summer!

I think we will end up sticking with the VW engine to preserve the A/C. I think we will do a mild performance boost, but nothing crazy. 88mm cylinders (1680cc) should be fine.

It is getting delivered next week (Free delivery! Score!)

I'll post pics then.

Went back and redid sketch to include a convertible body and added the police rims as well...I think it is going to look pretty good! (If only building were as easy as drawing!)

-Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VanessaNoPaint.jpg (103.0 KB, 7 views)

My Intro

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:55 AM   #8
alykat
Site Supporter

Good concept, and I like the proposed paint scheme. I'm looking forward to followinig your build.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:01 AM   #9
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Sounds like a double score...you & your son gotta' bug to start with AND your wife likes the idea! You can't beat a family project.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #10
wccr_engineering
Forum Member

Well...it's been a few weeks, and I had to go out of time for business. But, today Vanessa got delivered! Yeah!!!

Here she is as we first got her, and started the stripping process...having fun!

We found a SECOND Weber carb! Looks like going dual carb is going to be a much more affordable proposition! SCORE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0732.jpg (166.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0736.jpg (172.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0744.jpg (64.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0745.jpg (89.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0749.jpg (92.8 KB, 8 views)

My Intro

Old June 16th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #11
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

That's a Weber progressive. You don't want to run duals with those. Sell them off and get a nice set of Kadrons if you're keeping the engine size under 1915.
Good luck with the project!
Jeff
Old June 16th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #12
wccr_engineering
Forum Member

Jeff,

Thanks for the info on the carbs. I have since read up on the progressive carb. As this will be a daily driver, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to keep and rebuild one to use...I've read they are mild performance upgrade with better gas mileage?

Either way looks like I'll have a few carbs on eBay soon, we also found a Solex.

I don't think it was the stock carb, as I believe I read the '79 was originally EFI. This has been removed by a prev. owner, and the wiring harnesss is wrapped up in the engine bay. Wonder if I could just cut those wires? They are pretty ugly...

Thanks for looking, everybody!

-Will and Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0750.jpg (55.1 KB, 3 views)

My Intro

Old June 17th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #13
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

What size Solex? It's written on the side. I've heard more bad than good about progressives. I have one on my bus motor and want to pull it for dual webers.
You might have better luck selling them on the samba.
New wiring harness. I see what your car looks like. Play it safe and rewire it. There are several kits on the market and it's not that hard to do. You can make it a lot simpler than what is in the bug now. 1979 vs, 1967, they added a lot of crap to the cars. Find wiring diagrams and compare; they get crazier and crazier each year. The wiring layout for an early car is pretty much all you would really need.
I'd still go dual Kadrons....
Jeff
Old June 17th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #14
wccr_engineering
Forum Member

moving right along...fenders removed, bumper supports removed, hood and decklid removed.

and we have hit the first snag in this project...

The car has been in a front end accident...I am planning on doing an extension anyway, but the apron is in very bad shape. Not sure what to do with this situation...I was thinking I may look for a standard front end and graft it on? or a glass front?

Got something new to ponder for sure...

Looked at the Solex carb...its a Solex 34 Pict 3 a german made one. maybe go dually with another solex?

Happy Father's Day everybody,

Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0751.jpg (74.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0752.jpg (107.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0754.jpg (82.3 KB, 3 views)

My Intro

Old June 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #15
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

A standard nose won't go on a super with the curved windshield. The super nose is wider than a standard. Since the nose has been hit, just pull the front suspension off (send it to me!!!!!), put on the extender and cut away what you don't need on the nose.
I don't think you could go with the dual Solex 34's Never heard of it being done. It's a standard carb.
Jeff
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #16
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

I've run dual solex 34's. On a 1776. No issues. I've also run a single progessive on a baja. No issues. Good to see another father son project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:21 PM   #17
wccr_engineering
Forum Member

OK!!!

got the airconditioning removed (It think we are 90% this is not going back in..) and the fuel tank....ready for body to come off!

I've been VERY concerned over the last few days about how to proceed with the front end damage the car sustained...and have been looking for options to keep IFS...

I have been SEARCHING the site for threads on other superbeetle builds and I must give MAJOR KUDOS to Carcentric for his thread discussing his "dead project" Lightnin'...below is the url on the build...

http://carcentric.com/Lightnin.htm

Well, in a nutshell, I am going to copy the front suspension idea and install a spitfire 1500 front suspension. I just got off the phone with the gentleman I am buying it from ($100 for the whole thing! a-arms, springs, steering box, disc brakes, EVERYTHING!!!)

I have an appointment on Saturday to help cut it off the donor car! Woot! Woot!

I think it is a very attractive self-contained IFS and will look great on Vanessa!

p.s. I now have a very nice pair of lowering height-adjustable coil-overs...if anybody is working on a "German Look" out there...PM me with an offer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mk3_4.jpg (77.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0793.jpg (75.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0794.jpg (49.3 KB, 4 views)

My Intro

Old June 21st, 2012, 08:45 PM   #18
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

If you don't want the spindles or lower tracking arms, let me know. I don't need the ride adjustable stuff....
Jeff