- by DrHax
- by lakerat
- by Square

Old June 17th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #1
excello
Forum Member

Default The Manila Gorilla
Re:: chop, crop and drop. quick and dirty   

With all the projects I got going on, I thought it would be a good idea to start yet another one. Also thought it would be fun to share it. So here we go….

The idea is to build a volksrods within the dutch rules and regulations and do it as fast and simple as possible. I've got a bunch of parts that are in ok state but not good enough for a full restoration project, so I'll be using those. Giving myself about a 500 euro budget for extra parts. Also keeping it completely 'KISS'. Some of you may know me from the 5 window coupe I am building, which is the complete opposite of simple, so this new one is also going to be a bit of a testing platform for the coupe. Anyway….

I started with the body of a bug I had lying around and the floor of the 5 window coupe. The body is not that bad but it had 2 dings on the inside of the roof. Probably the PO tried to lift the body of the floor with a big pole through the door opening and forgot a few screws. That's why I rejected it for another project I was working on. (I should have used it because the other body I ended up with was straight but full of bad welds and bondo….) But that's why I can use it for this project. Little lift tables made it easy to put the body on the floor.

Oh, if you want to use this build as a guide to 'how to build a cropped volksrod'… don't. This is not the smartest way to do it. Just so you know…. :D

Body on the coupe floor. This shows the floor hasn't been altered. Time to decide where to make the cuts.

Chop Chop.

Shortening the body 20 cm to give the car the look of a extender. As I am going to replace the heather channels stuff I just cut right through them. Here you can see how much of the body gets deleted.

Move the front part back and weld it back together. It's that simple…. I guess.

When I started with the coupe, I wanted to leave the roof as untouched as possible. Because of the rusted sunroof that didn't happen and I did the opposite turning it into a 5 window coupe. It still kind of bugged me so I wanted to try it again. Leave the top of the roof as standard as possible. About 11 cm lower in the front and the rest kind of where it ended up. Gives it a bit of a rake…..

Welded the middle post and the top part of the rear side window of another roof to get the rear window shape and to get the roof to stay in one place. Note that I did this on both sides. The roof at this moment was moving all over the place so I had to measure it a gazillion times. And no bracing at all. Quick and dirty.

Pie-cutting the front to get the posts in place. Here I got one side done….

Now for the rear window. Here I kind of realized I had made a bit of a mess. If I just shortened the rear part it would end up way to high. Kind of weird if you think about it. Lowering the roof and shortening the body makes the roof go up….. Smart thing here would be to just lower the rear part of the roof a bit more. But I decided not to do that.

The dark green part is the part above the rear side window from another roof. This gives it more of a curve. At this point it looks really awkward, i think. Kind of like it has it's butt up in the air.

After some puzzling with leftover sheet-metal and a welder. I wanted to keep the little ears behind the windows just for fun.

Next dropping the body. But first I needed to lift it. The mighty broom strikes again. And yes, I can lift it with one arm. My back just didn't agree with that idea. Ouch….

And down again. It sits 7cm lower now. I took the mounting tabs in the back and moved them up 7cm. Then I cut out the heather channels. I had to cut the doors lose so I could cut out the lower hinge. Still no bracing (not smart but it works for me) so the car collapsed like it just came out of a jello mold. With sheer will power and some classical sailor talk I putt everything back together and welded the doors back shut. Then I welded in a new heather channel. Only one because I still need to order the other one. This build is just going so much faster then I had anticipated. (This is me being positive. What I wanted to say was: "Where the *#$@%! is my (@$#&!(!))^!%!$ money &*&@-^@!!!!!!) No pics of it getting lowered but you get the idea. The rear part looks a lot less awkward now.

On to the front. I could explain it but the picture shows what I am doing here. And it is still level. Nice.

As for the name. Nothing to do with Ali and Frazier. Just needed a name for this build and found this color sticker. Manilagrün Baboon just didn't flow that nice. :D

And a hood to see how it fits. That's it for now.
excello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #2
bugroadster
Site Supporter

Default Re: The Manila Gorilla

coming along very niceky i like the front post floe on the a pillars and the b went very nicely as well
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #3
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Nice progress pics!
Looking good!
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #4
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Looking good!! Nice pics and humorous descriptions

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #5
radiotrib
Forum Member

HEEEEEEEEEY .. Alexander !!! ... Looking good dude ... Another one gone the Neder-Rod route ... we could be witnessing the beginning of a trend here ;) ... By the time you and I have them APKd there will be copyists all over Holland .. heh heh ...

Pity I'm so far away and so busy on the J-bug, I'd love to have dropped in for a weekend wrenching party ... Any estimates on the ETA ?? .. will we be rolling together by the end of summer ??

My Intro/Build Journal - Two Virgins and a Sawzall
----------
You can't build a car with a cheque book
radiotrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #6
excello
Forum Member

Hé Kevin. Depending on how fast I can find some parts (and can pay for them....) I am trying to get this one done ASAP. Somewhere around the end of July would be nice.... I've got about 8 days in it so far. As long as I don't have to many setbacks and silly thing that I need to do in between. Would be cool to cruize around somewhere in the middle of Holland with some nice sunshine over our heads. :D
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #7
radiotrib
Forum Member

Drop me an email with the parts you're looking for. I might have something in the loods ...

----------
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Number1tileguy
Site Supporter

Nice quicky....

What's your plan on fastening the body back to the pan? are you going to move the pan and hat head back to fit? or make it up as you go? I would love to see some pictures and a how to when you get to that point, I am thinking of something like this with my own twist for my next build...

Keep up the good work

67' Volksrod 2276cc (sold)

72' Baja Champion SE 1776cc

66' Volkstruck 1641cc
Number1tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #9
dutchbeetle
Forum Member

thats the problem here in netherlands: no alterations to the stock floorpan. you are allowed to shorten it though for buggy build as much as you want to, but not make it longer, or change shape of the pans.

nice work on this one, wil be good looking car when done.
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

here is the Magilla Gorilla I thought you were talking about but I notice the spelling is different
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gorilla.jpg (25.3 KB, 9 views)

You gotta love v-rodders. 40*, poor brakes, 1/4 suspension working, 3+ body colors...but I drove it dammit!

I totally feel at home here.

project pics
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ster/?newest=1
Hapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #11
radiotrib
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1tileguy View Post
Nice quicky....

What's your plan on fastening the body back to the pan? are you going to move the pan and hat head back to fit? or make it up as you go? I would love to see some pictures and a how to when you get to that point, I am thinking of something like this with my own twist for my next build...

Keep up the good work
You can get away with the standard pan and heater tubes if you 'rearrange' the shape a little.

In Alexander's 5 window build he documented how he redesigned the heater boxes, and in mine I documented how I 'refactored' the outside of the front 'dog-leg' to make them fit the new body position (although I haven't restored those photos yet after a sever crash, but I will one day soon|)

Either way works, and in Holland the car remains legal and can keep its registration as a VW Beetle ...

----------
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #12
DWP
Forum Member

Love the build so far.
One question, what are you going to use for a rear window?
In the states we have to use tempered glass thats impossible
to cut.
DWP
DWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #13
radiotrib
Forum Member

I'll answer for Alexander - I hope that's OK. We're bothin touch with the same regulatory body and we share our answers. I asked the RDW about the window glass ready for the J-Bug and they told me that for the back three windows (rear and quarter windows) perspex is permissible in Holland. In fact, I never asked about the door glass but I think everything but the windscreen can be perspex or polycarbonate.

----------
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #14
excello
Forum Member

@Kevin. Thanx for the offer. At this moment I only need a floor with title (but only one that is close to home) and one heather channel that I'll probably order at Paruzzi. Other then that I think I've got all I need except for the weird things like mudguards and stuff.... But I'll keep it in mind. Also thanx for answering the questions, I'm being a bit lazy here (reminds me of KWF :D)

@ Number1titleguy. What they said. But I'll post some pics soon of the inside and how I welded it all together.

@ DWP I'm not sure yet if I am going to keep the rear window like this. I've been thinking about a rear window from an oval (if I can find/afford one). Which could also work for you. Or maybe a window from a completely different car. But yeah, polycarb is the way to go around here.

Now if I just don't forget to take my camera back home tomorrow, I might have an update.....
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:18 AM   #15
excello
Forum Member

Not to much to update but some pics anyway.

This is how it looks on the inside. Welded to the heather channel. Still need to think up something to get the safety belt nut thing back in the original spot.

This is how much the heater channel sticks out. Insert a bit of creative thinking here.

And top of the door done on one side. Still need to do the bottom part……

Next up. Front axle……
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:02 AM   #16
StickerDick
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Very Cool
StickerDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:47 PM   #17
radiotrib
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excello View Post

This is how much the heater channel sticks out. Insert a bit of creative thinking here.

Next up. Front axle……
Draw a line on the heater channel from the front of the dogleg, straight back to the bottom of the inner fender line, in front of the A-pillar.

Cut that piece off the heater channel. I actually wedge cut it so I could fold the outer wall in to meet the new line ... it makes for a cleaner finish and still provides the stiffness of the outside of the heater channel.

Blank off the demister riser (you'll lose the demist capability but the heater will still work if you need it)

On a 4 to 5 inch chop you should find that the floor pan edge doesn't stick out past the edge of the cut heater channel.

If you didn't wedge cut'n' shut then now's the time to weld in a new outer wall fabricated from 1mm sheet and reinforced by 15x15x3 box

Repeat on the other side ...

Skin the inner fenders to fit the new bottom line ...

's how I did it on the J-Bug and you've seen how that worked for me :)
I'll try to get those particular photos on the build thread brought up to date if you want to see a blow-by-blow.

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; June 22nd, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 12:13 AM   #18
excello
Forum Member

Actually, I was thinking of making 2 machine guns sticking out of the body right there to cover op the heather channel sticking out. Haha, nah just kidding. But I have been thinking about ways to cover them up without cutting them. Fake guns did come op for a few (no way that's going to be road legal) seconds, but everything else is not going to work because it is really al lot of cm that they are sticking out.

I did try to find those pics of yours (and of the steering house connecting to the steering column). I think I got what your saying but I am really more of a picture guy.

For now I'll just leave it as is because I first want to see how the front wheels sit and if I can keep that hump on the top part of the wheel arch because I was thinking of making an air vent right there. And of course I still need to get the heather channel for the other side and some big pieces of sheet metal…. :D
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:28 AM   #19
radiotrib
Forum Member

You could always mount faux beam axle hairpins between the dog-legs and the front axle. that'd give it a pseudo-authentic US hot rod look .. I considered that for the J as a way of hiding the irregularity. They'd be pretty easy to fabricate too, since they're only cosmetic.

I'm in the UK for the next 2 weeks but I'll try to find the photos as soon as I get back and bring my page up to date. The steering was made up using a 1302 universal section. It's about 30cm long with a UJ on each end. Paruzzi has them or you can butcher that old Kafer Cupper :) ... There needs to be some cutting and welding on the column and the splined ends, but nothing a man of your inventiveness and calibre can't handle.

----------

Last edited by radiotrib; June 23rd, 2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:43 AM   #20
1jarhead2
Forum Member

Looking great. I love detailed builds.
1jarhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:38 AM   #21
Number1tileguy
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotrib View Post
You can get away with the standard pan and heater tubes if you 'rearrange' the shape a little.

In Alexander's 5 window build he documented how he redesigned the heater boxes, and in mine I documented how I 'refactored' the outside of the front 'dog-leg' to make them fit the new body position (although I haven't restored those photos yet after a sever crash, but I will one day soon|)

Either way works, and in Holland the car remains legal and can keep its registration as a VW Beetle ...

Thanks for the answers, Keep the pics coming, I thought you couldn't change the wheel base I didn't know they are so strict that you can't modify the pan, It's great to see how you guy's are overcoming the strict regulations.

Keep up the great work and keep pushing those regulations...

67' Volksrod 2276cc (sold)

72' Baja Champion SE 1776cc

66' Volkstruck 1641cc
Number1tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #22
excello
Forum Member

Ok. Front axle. Went for the avis. Who ever said that installing avis adjusters is easy must be a lot smarter then I am. Took me about 2 days and I ended up cutting almost half of the beam to get those stupid pucks in that didn't even work…. Lesson learned I guess, even though I am still not sure how I could have done it differently ….

While I was waiting to be get my hands on the big welding machine at the neighbors shop I decided to mock up the engine. So….. dropping the body 7cm and lifting the transmission 6cm makes the cooling tins still fit???? Apparently in my case. I would like to light up a cigar and say: 'I love it when a plan….' but I didn't count on this. Cool…. A newer style shroud looks even better but then the hinges are blocked. Only thing that doesn't fit is the spring, but I don't like that thing anyway.

And the deckled…. almost fits. Just hitting the pulley. But I need to cut it up anyway so with a bit of tweaking I might get it to fit.

Finally got the front beam done. Test fit and on all four wheels. Haha, weird looking car. Needs taller tires in the back. Will be steel originals when I get another floor, but I think I have some porsche rims with beefier tires to see how it looks. Front is ok, but I am not feeling the original steel wheels. Need to use them to keep the budget low, but…..

The other side. Really need to get a heather channel for this side. The car is so floppy right now.

And the front. Where to put the headlights…

Next is some other stuff I need to do. Hope to get some time to work on it again in a few days…..
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #23
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I love the look. The short back makes the nose look longer. + it has that "Say what?" factor when you first look at it. Great work.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #24
Do Work 93YJ
Forum Member

Can't wait to see this one finished. Keep up the great work.
Do Work 93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #25
Jon
Forum Member

Wow, love the bug. Its look great.
Was questioning the very first pics of the chop, was wondering what your plan was and I rally liked the rear window setup you did. Just very cool.

My favorite phrase is "I love it when no plan comes together"
Its actually my quote but it refers to some of the projects I have worked on for employers who don't grasp the concept of planning a job, mainly 'cus a team of aritist cant seem to plan anything....
Love how the engine fits in there.

Can we please see the Stoll/Heb coupe thing in the background.

Just so you know those are not Avis adjusters, those are Sway A Ways.

Last edited by Jon; June 25th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote