Newest Member: srich

Latest Threads
- by EVOlyn
- by DrHax

Old July 29th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #1
kukri2004
Forum Member

Default bringing this bug back from the dead. zombie volkstruck

ok everyone this is my first build of this magnitude and i started this weekend.
step 1: took the body off the chassis. check!
step 2: clean up chassis and paint everything with primer so the fl salt wont eat it up. check!
step three: dissasemble front end and press in new ball joints. check!
step four: i hope this works out for me because if not a $150 front end is down the drain. i cut off all the bumpstops in prep to convert to rack and pinion. check!
ok im done listing my steps im just gonna post some pics let me know if you guys like it or if you have any helpful tips. if you dont like it or just want to hate please leave a comment anyways because it lets me know im doing something right. haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12530.jpg (79.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12535.jpg (77.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12533.jpg (81.2 KB, 14 views)
kukri2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #2
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: bringing this bug back from the dead. zombie volkstruck

How do you do that much in one weekend?

Nice so far, I think at this pace you will have built seven before I finish one.

You suck.

Like the extension and the name of the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #3
V8Transporter
Forum Member

That's it for an entire weekend? Okay, okay it took me two weeks to install my new balljoints, but the days are shorter out here...or something. Looks good so far, what's happening with the body?
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #4
rostigbug
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

LIZZEN UP BUB
you cannot do it all in one weekend.
You gotta pace yourself

Last edited by rostigbug; July 30th, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
rostigbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #5
kukri2004
Forum Member

haha ok guys ill let you in on a secret i had a little bit of help throughout the weekend. just an extra set of hads here and there from my roommate. hes finishing up on his super beetle build and was able to come help out since hes waiting on some parts and left the gas on his welder on over night. hahah the body pictures are coming soon i have a new footwall to weld in and thats about it before i cut in half. i do have some plans in store for the rear of the truck cab that i think eveyone will like.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Don't listen to them. It's easy to get a lot of shit done when you have the desire and drive.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #7
kukri2004
Forum Member

Thanks Ray i deffinatly have both and normally i only work on the weekends but i guess ill be workin after school and work during the week. i have to nov to have this truck done before bug jam here in fl so that is my goal and im stickin to it.
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #8
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Don't listen to Ray-Dean, he's one of those guys who gets things done and makes the rest of us look bad.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Do Work 93YJ
Forum Member

And I use to think I got alot done in a weekend but at your rate you could do what I do in one day. LOL Good start man keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using my right hand.
Do Work 93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #10
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukri2004 View Post
ok everyone this is my first build of this magnitude and i started this weekend.
step 1: took the body off the chassis. check!
step 2: clean up chassis and paint everything with primer so the fl salt wont eat it up. check!
step three: dissasemble front end and press in new ball joints. check!
step four: i hope this works out for me because if not a $150 front end is down the drain. i cut off all the bumpstops in prep to convert to rack and pinion. check!
ok im done listing my steps im just gonna post some pics let me know if you guys like it or if you have any helpful tips. if you dont like it or just want to hate please leave a comment anyways because it lets me know im doing something right. haha.
Florida salt? Stay off the beach and it shouldn't be an issue. But, you need real paint, not primer, to protect the metal. For the money, check out Masterseries. Now would be a perfect time to do the entire chassis.

I know a couple of people in the Daytona area if you need parts.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #11
kukri2004
Forum Member

yeah the salt in the air around daytona is bad you leave metal uncovered for a few hours up here its already rusted over. ill def look into that masterseries. as soon as i mock up the rack and pinion its all off to pait for the chassis. i have a lot of parts myself and a 73 super for sale with a 1776 motor. only pit fall it has a leaking main seal and the motor is out of the car. let me know if you know anyone looking. ill post some pics in a little bit
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:45 AM   #12
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

So your off to a super fast start, if I could keep on track I know I could work just as fast, my troubles seem to start the moment I open my garage door, even if I tell myself "I'm gonna start & finish ______ (fill in the blank)

I start doing what I had planned to do, after an hour or so I may need a hammer (just an example) & I can't seem to find one of my 12 hammers (and I have a hammer rack in the Blacksmith section of my shop) I need to put each hammer back when finished, but I just leave them in & around where I was using it last, so while searching for a hammer, I see something I was looking for 3 days earlier when working on a different part/project, so I pick that tool up & start on that project until it's finished, or I need another tool & can't find it, that's when I find the hammer I was looking for in the first place

I'm hoping once I get my Eldorado fixed & out of the garage to clean & organize all my tools & get all the unneeded stuff out

Just maybe then I'll get more work done each day

Keep up all the hard work, once you drive it for the first time, your gonna be thinking "I wish I had worked on it a little faster & a little more often

Ron

http://metalmaster1766.webs.com/

Ron
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:18 AM   #13
kukri2004
Forum Member

thanks ron for the encouragment. i just hit my first snag though. last night i got my rack and pinion in and low and behold they sent the wrong one. i can see how it happened though they sent me the extended pinion shaft and not the short pinion shaft. a diffrance in one number on the end of the sku. oh well that set me back a weekend on that. i guess this weekend ill just have to finish welding the shock towers on the front end for more support and take it all apart to get that pesky shifter rod out of the tunnel. any ideas on how to clean out the tunnel and get some fresh sealer in there? i thought about spraying some deruster letting it dry out and then me and my room mate pouring some bed linner in there and rolling it over a bunch of times by hand. hahah
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #14
kukri2004
Forum Member

alright guys im sorry to say no update for this weekend. weather wiped me out and i just could not get anything done. but i am happy to say i sold a lot of parts in the rain to a random person that showed up on my doorstep. some guy knocked on the door and and damn near cleaned me out. i might of even sold my super. its crazy how even when im not trying to make money, i make money. plus it helps to having a giant race team next door that passes the word around. lol