Newest Member: 36wildroadster

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old June 14th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #1
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

what the heck are we doing wrong.....keep trying to mount the portawalls and it just doesnt work. tires (kleber 145's and vredstien 165's) were alreadymounted. we broke the bead and slid in the portawalls in position. begin to add air and as soon as the bead seats, it shifts the portawall out of position. tried 6 or 7 times. all with the same result.....what the heck are we doing wrong????? i dont want to spend $75 a tire for diamondback classics to add whitewalls to my tires....help!!!!!!
vwfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #2
Gravedigger
Forum Member

I think you can pick up on the p/w, seat it on the rim, then inflate the tire, it might take a couple tries.

Denny Anderson
Gravedigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #3
Sickboy
Forum Member

I taped them in place once, until the bead popped then took the tape off and inflated. Other than that, I haven't had a problem with them
Old June 14th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #4
happy hoppy
Forum Member

the ports wall , tire , and rim must be clean and dry !
no grease, armor-all , water , ect.
clean everything, wipe it all down with alcohol , or thinner then let it dry and try again.

I put ports walls onto 135'5 when everyone said it could not be done this way,

good luck

Panel Beaters C.C.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...IZCARD22-1.jpg
happy hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 06:14 AM   #5
JBUG
Forum Member

same here port a walls on 135's when my guy did them he popped the bead slid in the white wall then while he inflated he pulled the tire to the white wall as tite as possible they went on perfect!!!
Old June 15th, 2003, 08:37 PM   #6
tommy-turtle
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vwfanatic@Jun 14 2003, 12:08 PM
what the heck are we doing wrong.....keep trying to mount the portawalls and it just doesnt work. tires (kleber 145's and vredstien 165's) were alreadymounted. we broke the bead and slid in the portawalls in position. begin to add air and as soon as the bead seats, it shifts the portawall out of position. tried 6 or 7 times. all with the same result.....what the heck are we doing wrong????? i dont want to spend $75 a tire for diamondback classics to add whitewalls to my tires....help!!!!!!
Dan It sounds like you have a broke ass tire company. I did them at work and I dont know nothing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] SO maybe you need to call a local hot rod shop and ask who the use to mount tire and call the if the do port o walls Or you could add you name to the comon gear sight and get some ture wht walls [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/fingerclear.gif[/img] and then you wont have any traction or ability to stear on a shitty road.or go to a hot rod show out there and ask some one who has them on [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img]
Old June 15th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #7
tommy-turtle
Forum Member

and there is always spray paint [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Old June 16th, 2003, 05:40 AM   #8
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

chris - everyone says, no big deal, EZ to do, but these tires are really tight, when they seat, the bead really pops into place, and when it does, the tendancy is for the portawall to get pushed outward, at least a little and of course not evenly. i have considered the paint on idea. there was just an article in one of the mags (think it was CK Deluxe) about doing it. basically take a cardboard shield and spin the tire while holding the shield in one spot while spraying. Anyone have any ideas what kind of paint would work? Gotta check that article again....other options are 165 radial rears from coker and send a set of 145's to diamondback classics and have them vulcanize in a new sidewall at $75 per tire.
Old June 16th, 2003, 06:26 AM   #9
Nick
Forum Member

All people that I heard that used spray'd WWW tires hate them after some time. They all tend to fade yellow sooner or later. There was a long thread at the HAMB a long time ago on this.

Maybe your tires are too wide? Barely enough as is and too much with the portawalls??

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 06:35 AM   #10
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

nick - too wide? what do you mean? 145's and 165's are hardly wide tires. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img]
Old June 16th, 2003, 06:49 AM   #11
bdj
Forum Member

how much air pressure are they using? are they over-inflating the tires, then correcting the pressure by bleeding off the valve? no big deal with most tires, and speeds up the job, but the super-quick and violent bead-seating will jostle your porta walls. how about holding the porta-walls in place with some 3M trim adhesive applied to the bead before inflation? apply the glue, let it tack up, seat the porta-wall, let it set, then inflate. maybe just have the tire shop install the tires and porta-walls, and you inflate yourself at home- that way, you have the time to deflate, break the bead, re-inflate and generally fiddle around without the tire taking up time on the machine, and no one feeling pressured to get the job done and get you out of there.
bdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 06:58 AM   #12
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

some good ideas there.....but definately frustrating
Old June 16th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #13
qwan
Forum Member

gentlemen!:)

i have redbands on my 'square...

not that i know alot 'bout tyres.. but i DID NOT break the bead so it had to "pop" back into place!?! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]

remove wheel from car, deflate tyre until no more air comes out! DO NOT break the bead of the tyre!!!... get a tyre lever or large "pry bar" "crowbar"or whatever...insert under lip of wheel/tyre apply small amount of force to create a gap...

shove white/red wall in!:D... move round the tyre levering and pushing the white wall in... you may find once youre all the way round there are some creases.. just go around the tyre with the base of the palm of your hand or a rubber mallet "bumping" the whitewall a little.. move it out wards a touch or to the left/right but go ALL the way round.. this evens it out!..:) reinflate tyre.. et voila!!.. worked for me... much easier than i thought; as the guys say above, its needs to be VERY clean... NO tyre grease etc !!!

my tyres are 165/15 and 155/70/15

hope that helps a little...:)

www.airsouls.com/qwan
qwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 10:28 AM   #14
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

now that sounds interesting except the part about prying against my freshly powdercoated rims....maybe i could slip a bit of bicycle tube around the tire iron to avoid scratching or chipping......might give that a try tonite

thanx
Old June 16th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #15
Kafer_Mike
Forum Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>except the part about prying against my freshly powdercoated tires[/b][/quote]

You powdercoated your tires??? Don't let the Ricers in on it. It will become all the rage... :D
Kafer_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #16
Nick
Forum Member

Qwan! long time no see. I didn't think you made it here from STF [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 12:31 AM   #17
qwan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick@Jun 16 2003, 11:25 AM
Qwan! long time no see. I didn't think you made it here from STF [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
oh im still around:).. unfortunately this board makes it alittle more difficult for me to post for some reason?!

anyway.. keep up the good work!

the 'square is changed a bit from the above picture.. will try and post a pic when its done..:D

BTW you wont scratch your rims with a tyre lever.... your levering UNDER the lip of the rim remember... not on the "outside" painted surface just be careful... you'll be fine!:)
qwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 04:58 AM   #18
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

the rims are powdercoated inside and out, including under the lips...prying will definately have the possibility of chipping them. tryed on a spare rim and it is definately chippable......we are gonna try again at the tire shop